It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Harrison Butker
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:03 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:06 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:
Religion is like Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It was very useful for a time but those days are past and it's just counting down the clock until it is gone forever.

Ridiculous. Religion is part of human nature. It will ALWAYS be here. If man isn't practicing whatever it is you're calling "religion", he'll be practicing something else that is just as much a religion, whether that's faith in vaccines that is unsupported by evidence or Climate Change or Black Lives Matter or whatever.

That discounts the role of religion if it is just a manifestation of human nature. Sure, people will have something that guides them in life. The fact that religion can work in parallel to that is fine but also unimportant. It's not like if someone stopped going to church on Sunday they'd start robbing banks.

People have given up church to dedicate their life to a politician whose beliefs are flexible. Despite you being agnostic, you're still influenced by religion. That said, I would be concerned about our future if the overwhelming majority of people were atheists. You may think it's worthless, but I strongly believe faith moderates the behavior of MANY. It's one of the primary reasons why the rich aren't being eaten worldwide.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:
Religion is like Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It was very useful for a time but those days are past and it's just counting down the clock until it is gone forever.

Ridiculous. Religion is part of human nature. It will ALWAYS be here. If man isn't practicing whatever it is you're calling "religion", he'll be practicing something else that is just as much a religion, whether that's faith in vaccines that is unsupported by evidence or Climate Change or Black Lives Matter or whatever.

That discounts the role of religion if it is just a manifestation of human nature. Sure, people will have something that guides them in life. The fact that religion can work in parallel to that is fine but also unimportant. It's not like if someone stopped going to church on Sunday they'd start robbing banks.

JORR is correct. The survival of Scientology is proof that there will always be demand for Religion of some kind.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:15 am 

Yeah and we all know that Scientology is "wrong".

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:30 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nas wrote:
Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:

People have given up church to dedicate their life to a politician whose beliefs are flexible.

Correct. MANY actually wore t-shirts and/or put stickers on their cars that said, "I'M WITH HER." If that isn't a religion I don't know what is.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:32 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Correct. MANY actually wore t-shirts and/or hats that said, "MAGA." If that isn't a religion I don't know what is.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:54 am 

Brick wrote:

One day Tom Cruise’s dream of not having a single SP in the world will come true.

:::Tom Cruise Laugh:::

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
W_Z wrote:
Brick wrote:

One day Tom Cruise’s dream of not having a single SP in the world will come true.

:::Tom Cruise Laugh:::

in the top 10 all time gifs for sure

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

WOKE:
A president telling young black people that they have no chance because America is against them.

BROKE:
A placekicker telling young Catholic women that having children is more important than working in a cube farm.

BESPOKE:
A comedian explaining to wannabe Ivy Leaguers that jokes are funny.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 2:44 pm 

Homosexuals should have the much bigger beef with the speech, but, nope, its biological women with the loudest voices

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 2:47 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
A kicker told you how to be a man. Let that sink in.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 2:56 pm 

Nas wrote:

Jesus gave my speech. Told me what its like to be Jesus. I was all like, yeah, I hated the Iron Sheik back in grade school when he would say "Iran #1. Russia #1. America, hock-ptui"

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Nas wrote:

Your POTUS can't even define what a man is. Let that sink in.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 8:36 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Seacrest wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
I didn't get the latin mass thing. That was weird.

Latin Mass is a lightning rod within the Catholic Church. Especially in the US where it has become quite popular in some cities, (St John Cantius-Chicago) for instance.

It is the battleground of changes in the Church that liberal vs traditional Catholics so to speak, argue or fight over constantly.

The board's biggest Latin mass supporter ever would surprise you.

What percentage of Catholics can understand a Latin mass? Fewer than 1%?

It seems strange--to say the least--that some Catholics would want to make their religion even less comprehensible and accessible than it already is.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 8:43 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:

It's not difficult to understand.

Why does everyone like McDonald's? Because you can be in Yakutsk or Irkutsk and when you see the golden arches you know the Big Mac is going to be the same thing you had in your hometown.

The elimination of the Latin mass allowed the franchisees, i.e. parishes, to get sloppy.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 8:47 am 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:

You're trying to impose your colonialist moralities on me by making such a statement that robbing a bank is something I shouldn't do. Leave this space colonizer.

If I have greater need for the money and will use it for a better purpose than you, why should you get to keep it from me, colonizer? The truth is, its you who is robbing from me by withholding it from me.

Anyway, they have insurance.

You dig?

Breaking News: Biden Supporters align themselves with the values of Big Banks to ridicule critics.

Next up: The Sun rose in the East today.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 8:47 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Why does everyone like McDonald's? Because you can be in Yakutsk or Irkutsk and when you see the golden arches you know the Big Mac is going to be the same thing you had in your hometown.

The elimination of the Latin mass allowed the franchisees, i.e. parishes, to get sloppy.

The elimination of the Latin mass decentralized power.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 8:58 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Nobody has to be a Catholic. The Church only has the power its members grant it. The Vatican doesn't have an army or the power of taxation enforced by guns. If you don't want to be a Catholic, you don't have to be one. Many have made that choice.

So I'm not sure how decentralizing power, if indeed such has occurred, has helped the Church.

A religion is just a set of beliefs. You don't have to hold those beliefs, but if you don't I can't see how you're a member of that religion. You're just creating a new religion to satisfy yourself.

Cafeteria Catholicism is bullshit. As crazy and destructive as Islam is, at least Muslims have principles.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:03 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Nobody has to be a Catholic. The Church only has the power its members grant it. The Vatican doesn't have an army or the power of taxation enforced by guns. If you don't want to be a Catholic, you don't have to be one. Many have made that choice.

So I'm not sure how decentralizing power, if indeed such has occurred, has helped the Church.

A religion is just a set of beliefs. You don't have to hold those beliefs, but if you don't I can't see how you're a member of that religion. You're just creating a new religion to satisfy yourself.

Cafeteria Catholicism is bullshit. As crazy and destructive as Islam is, at least Muslims have principles.

Agreed. Those championing Latin mass, which is not a core tenet of the Catholic Church, should get out.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Agreed. Those championing Latin mass, which is not a core tenet of the Catholic Church, should get out.

It isn't really any different than the people now try to rid the church mass of acoustic guitar sing a longs and tossing communion about like dog treats.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

It's tradition- or was tradition. And what is a religion if not a collection of rules and traditions?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:17 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Caller Bob wrote:
Nas wrote:

Your POTUS can't even define what a man is. Let that sink in.
You voted for Joe Biden, or at least said you did. Let that sink in.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:17 am 
Site Admin

pittmike wrote:
tossing communion about like dog treats.

:lol: :lol:

You've got who knows who offering the Body of Christ. I get that they're short priests, but I was taught that only the priest handles the host.

And therein lies the problem. You have all these rules and customs that form the basis of a religion and slowly, whether out of convenience or pandering to popular whim, you eliminate them and tell people they were never that important to begin with, well, how long does it take before people just dismiss the entire thing?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:22 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
pittmike wrote:

You've got who knows who offering the Body of Christ. I get that they're short priests, but I was taught that only the priest handles the host.

And therein lies the problem. You have all these rules and customs that form the basis of a religion and slowly, whether out of convenience or pandering to popular whim, you eliminate them and tell people they were never that important to begin with, well, how long does it take before people just dismiss the entire thing?

The kid diddling and coverup has done more to hurt the Catholic church than the loss of Latin mass.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:23 am 
Site Admin

conns7901 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
pittmike wrote:

The kid diddling and coverup has done more to hurt the Catholic church than the loss of Latin mass.

Probably true.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:27 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:

You're trying to impose your colonialist moralities on me by making such a statement that robbing a bank is something I shouldn't do. Leave this space colonizer.

If I have greater need for the money and will use it for a better purpose than you, why should you get to keep it from me, colonizer? The truth is, its you who is robbing from me by withholding it from me.

Anyway, they have insurance.

You dig?

Breaking News: Biden Supporters align themselves with the values of Big Banks to ridicule critics.

Next up: The Sun rose in the East today.

Last day of finals and someone is already celebrating

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:39 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

It's tradition- or was tradition. And what is a religion if not a collection of rules and traditions?

Right. And the rules are not on the side of those demanding a return to Latin mass.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
pittmike wrote:

And at the uber-conservative church I attend in Central WI, it is still that way. Their Deacon does not even participate in the distribution.

While I am a Eucharistic Minister at my parish here, there are still MANY who will only receive from the priest.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 11:48 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Seacrest wrote:

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Found him.

It's funny you mention that, because the McDonaldsization of the Mormon Church, which they refer to as "correlation," has been a major contributor to the church's loss of membership and decrease in morale. Local communities used to raise funds to build their meetinghouses (the normal buildings, not the temples). Now they get the blueprints and building kits from the head office in Salt Lake City and every meetinghouse from here on out basically has to look like this:

That looks like a branch bank in Mundelein.

And with that, they've cut everything else that could be handled at the ward/parish level, like youth activities and bake sales and community outreach and all the things we're used to local churches doing, because the head office wants everyone to do the same thing everywhere and provide a consistent product. That's what happens when the church is run by businessmen (they don't have a clergy that went through divinity school; you literally just get promoted to running the church when you're good at business).

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Found him.

It's funny you mention that, because the McDonaldsization of the Mormon Church, which they refer to as "correlation," has been a major contributor to the church's loss of membership and decrease in morale. Local communities used to raise funds to build their meetinghouses (the normal buildings, not the temples). Now they get the blueprints and building kits from the head office in Salt Lake City and every meetinghouse from here on out basically has to look like this:

That looks like a branch bank in Mundelein.

And with that, they've cut everything else that could be handled at the ward/parish level, like youth activities and bake sales and community outreach and all the things we're used to local churches doing, because the head office wants everyone to do the same thing everywhere and provide a consistent product. That's what happens when the church is run by businessmen (they don't have a clergy that went through divinity school; you literally just get promoted to running the church when you're good at business).

We're talking about the ritual that is central to the religion, not micromanaging bake sales from Rome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next