It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tim Tebow
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Brick wrote:
I think this thread is a good example. A guy who was clearly overdrafted who has gotten chances most would never get after failing and virtually everyone is like "How dare you say Tim Tebow benefitted from his story!".

You’ve seemingly conceded on football and the SEC Network job. Baseball was a result of his popularity, sure. He actually turned into an average AA player in his time there. It’s a bit over the top to call him a failure; based on his ‘18 season, the Mets seemingly could have called him up on merit and fully delivered on the stunt. They chose not to.

Conversely, guys like Russell Wilson cosplay at minor league camps annually. Aaron Rodgers pretends he’s not an idiot and hosts Jeopardy. Famous people get chances the Bricks of the world don’t, yet few are accused of using religion to realize those opportunities.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:24 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Brick wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
No, because he's a world-class athlete that stuck with the idea that he could be a professional athlete.

Russell Wilson didn't give up because he was a lower draft choice for the Cubs.

You really have an issue with Tebow. He's a guy. He wants to play sports. He can. And he's been trying for a while with success because he has some ability.
I'm not faulting him for trying to be a pro athlete. I'm saying every opportunity he has gotten has been as much to do with his story as it did his ability.

You didn't have to be Mel Kiper to know he wasn't going to amount to much as an NFL quarterback just like a huge array of highly successful college quarterbacks that had no shot of being good in the NFL at that position.

The same things were said about Lamar Jackson

And Tom Brady

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:43 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Brick wrote:
I think this thread is a good example. A guy who was clearly overdrafted who has gotten chances most would never get after failing and virtually everyone is like "How dare you say Tim Tebow benefitted from his story!".

You’ve seemingly conceded on football and the SEC Network job. Baseball was a result of his popularity, sure. He actually turned into an average AA player in his time there. It’s a bit over the top to call him a failure; based on his ‘18 season, the Mets seemingly could have called him up on merit and fully delivered on the stunt. They chose not to.

Conversely, guys like Russell Wilson cosplay at minor league camps annually. Aaron Rodgers pretends he’s not an idiot and hosts Jeopardy. Famous people get chances the Bricks of the world don’t, yet few are accused of using religion to realize those opportunities.

I didn't concede on either football or tv. People stopped answering why he was a first round pick and why he is getting another shot after not playing for 9 years. :lol:

For the rest of it, that's his story! Great college player doesn't cut it. Otherwise you'd see Tommy Frazier and Chris Leak too.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:06 pm 

Brick wrote:

He wasn't anywhere near average and has never played tight end. But his evangelical status clearly is benefiting him. As usual.

Because it's not enough that guys like me have no issue calling him one of the greatest college players, but that he hasn't earned a spot he hasn't earned.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31422193/jacksonville-jaguars-expected-sign-tim-tebow-tight-end-source-says

Scorehead back to the board IMMINENT.

The dream’s alive!!

Did the bet require that he play QB again in the NFL or just that he makes a team?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:13 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Regular Reader wrote:
But his evangelical status clearly is benefiting him. As usual.

He just makes me feel bad.

I've lived a very super-Catholic life and I've never been offered a chance to play first-base for the Cubs...and I was excellent. I'm even ambidextrous, take that Tebow.

I think my work here is done.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:20 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

I've lived a very super-Catholic life and I've never been offered a chance to play first-base for the Cubs...and I was excellent. I'm even ambidextrous, take that Tebow.

So...you can hit from both sides?!? :P

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:22 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
David Hogg exploits himself every bit as well as Tebow but with 1/10th of the work.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Regular Reader wrote:

I’ll bet Tebow could slide down any fire escape he wanted to. A cherry one would be perfect.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:28 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Brick wrote:

He wasn't anywhere near average and has never played tight end. But his evangelical status clearly is benefiting him. As usual.

Because it's not enough that guys like me have no issue calling him one of the greatest college players, but that he hasn't earned a spot he hasn't earned.

He hit .275 with a .735 OPS at AA. Not MLB caliber, but not a complete failure.

I just have a hard time believing Urban Meyer of all people has such a hard on for evangelicals that he’s looking to fill a roster spot with a guy who can’t play due to that guy’s religious beliefs.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:30 pm 

Nardi wrote:
David Hogg exploits himself every bit as well as Tebow but with 1/10th of the work.

And yet he saw his friends slain, and is despised by Tebow fans. Go figure.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:33 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Brick wrote:

I just have a hard time believing Urban Meyer of all people has such a hard on for evangelicals that he’s looking to fill a roster spot with a guy who can’t play due to that guy’s religious beliefs.

I will admit to being distrustful of evangelicals, but I'm more offended by his taking spots he's nowhere near earned. Hell, the tight end from tOSU they drafted is far more deserving.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:37 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Regular Reader wrote:
Brick wrote:

When he was moved up to AAA he slashed .163 .240 .255 thus the end of the baseball experiment.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:40 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I’ll bet Tebow could slide down any fire escape he wanted to. A cherry one would be perfect.

He could not because he would have been instructed not to and he, like Ken, would not have broken a rule.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:47 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
I am sure there MANY marginal, religious, 22 year olds who have played tight end their entire lives that arent getting a contract from the Jaguars.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Tebow was a very large, option QB in college...

"A gorilla playing QB" ~ Urban Meyer.

That doesn't mean he was a good QB. It means he was big enough to muscle 3 yards into a TD. Watch the youtube highlight real...it's stupid. 90% runs.

At best, He will be a poor man's Jimmy Graham / Gronk who can't run and isn't fast.

He'll make the team as the 3rd. Someone will get hurt. They'll put him at QB and flex Trevor out, and have him run one more TD in...

1 hour and 19 minutes northeast of where he and Urban made names for themselves.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:54 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Tebow was a very large, option QB in college...

"A gorilla playing QB" ~ Urban Meyer.

That doesn't mean he was a good QB. It means he was big enough to muscle 3 yards into a TD. Watch the youtube highlight real...it's stupid. 90% runs.

At best, He will be a poor man's Jimmy Graham / Gronk who can't run and isn't fast.

He'll make the team as the 3rd. Someone will get hurt. They'll put him at QB and flex Trevor out, and have him run one more TD in...

1 hour and 19 minutes northeast of where he and Urban made names for themselves.

And it would've made more sense to sign Alex Smith, who actually could have given Lawrence substantial help.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

Alex Smith retired.

He has a drop foot and is slow. The comeback was a gift and not very real.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:02 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Alex Smith retired.

He has a drop foot and is slow. The comeback was a gift and not very real.

I don't dispute that. But he could've at least been a coach in waiting.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

Is something he wants to do? I think Alex Smith has a Corporate speaking engagement about toughness and whatever...waiting for him if he wants it. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:13 pm 

I don't get this. Why didn't Terrelle Pryor win a Super Bowl as QB.

The guy would have been a top QB first round guy if not for all that other crap of whatever the NFL had a burr up on their ass about at the time. I don't remember.

He got a shot as a QB. Not very successful.

Then got signed later to back up a Josh McCown type and found out that he was hurt and maybe you can throw it around and catch some stuff, you're a great athlete, and he did.

Then, hey, you're pretty good at catching stuff as a massive human that is super-fast and athletic (a Tebow-type if you will) - want to catch passes for a couple years? We will pay you, I don't know, $10 million to catch some passes, wanna?

Sure. And I will make it worth your money.

You sure did. i'll never try that again though. You'll never find someone willing to put money on a former star college QB trying to make a living doing something else because they have tremendous athletic ability.

I'm a genius. Out.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:43 pm 

I don't get this. Why didn't Terrelle Pryor win a Super Bowl as QB.

The guy would have been a top QB first round guy if not for all that other crap of whatever the NFL had a burr up on their ass about at the time. I don't remember.

He got a shot as a QB. Not very successful.

Then got signed later to back up a Josh McCown type and found out that he was hurt and maybe you can throw it around and catch some stuff, you're a great athlete, and he did.

Then, hey, you're pretty good at catching stuff as a massive human that is super-fast and athletic (a Tebow-type if you will) - want to catch passes for a couple years? We will pay you, I don't know, $10 million to catch some passes, wanna?

Sure. And I will make it worth your money.

You sure did. i'll never try that again though. You'll never find someone willing to put money on a former star college QB trying to make a living doing something else because they have tremendous athletic ability.

I'm a genius. Out.

But he wasn't fast, not accurate, nor has he ever been a tight end.

Remind me of his ability six years later.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:54 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
You don't get an NFL contract just because you are an evangelical. Signing a player doesn't guarantee a roster spot. I'm thinking Urban Meyer knows more about talent evaluation than Brick. We will see how it plays out.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:59 pm 

I think the issue with Tebow was more about his refusal to be anything other than a QB when he was first drafted. Now that he washed out of being a NFL QB and baseball he gets signed to play a position he's never played in his life at age 33.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:08 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
I think the issue with Tebow was more about his refusal to be anything other than a QB when he was first drafted. Now that he washed out of being a NFL QB and baseball he gets signed to play a position he's never played in his life at age 33.

Pretty cool.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:14 pm 

Yeah

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:33 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
This seems like a completely unneeded distraction. His offensive lineman at Florida both retired this year after very long NFL careers. He is not going to be a typical TE. They will probably try him in some kind of Kyle Juszczyk role but its kind of ridiculous to think he will pick it up and make any kind of impact at age 33.

I can't imagine that many people hated the man himself. His ALS though was another story. He was kind of like Danica. Someone with more talent than most but had no business being at the highest level. He was put in a position he really should not have been at and didnt deserve to be at because of the desires of others. At least he was a giant bitch that blamed everyone and their brother for his failures.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
:lol:

Frank

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
BRick is 100% correct in this thread.

Pardon me while I go find a bucket to puke in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next