It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kaepernick
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Hank Scorpio wrote:
This country needs to chill with the jingoism. I got bitched at a couple years back at a Sox game because I didn't put my hand over my heart during the anthem.

You're supposed to? I never do.

I take hat off if I"m wearing one. But that's because my old country Ukrainain grandparents pretty much lectured me wearing a hat in damn near any situation is bad luck. That and whistling.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
On a side note, I heard that the Dallas Cowboys were denied by the NFL when they requested putting a sticker on their helmets to honor the fallen Dallas police officers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:00 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If you were a millionaire I would question why you haven't yet moved to a place where there are no issues then.

And you would get your answer if you read my last sentence of my previous post.
That isn't really an answer though.

If you truly don't have pride in America it isn't simply about one issue, and if it is then you would be better served not making it a global issue with words and terminology like that.

It goes into what pride means. It doesn't mean you agree with 100% of everything that happens or that things can't be improved. It does however mean that you view your country favorably and feel that in general it is good. If you don't feel that our country is in general good and you have the resources to do it why not find a country that you do consider good?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Tbh, I lost a lot of pride in this country when the racist plague happened after Obama was elected.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If you were a millionaire I would question why you haven't yet moved to a place where there are no issues then.

That was puzzling to me. Dwayne Wade signed a $47.5 million deal and he didn't move all his relatives out of the city.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:03 pm 

We should compare this to the Lebron-Wade-Paul-perennial playoff disappointment Carmelo and how they made a good strong and clear message that conveys exactly what most people should agree with without turning it into a referendum on the country and a whole and the people who made and continue to make sacrifices every day for it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Do you realize what this country would be like if every powerful person with issues "just moved"?

#BrickStine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:06 pm 

Anyone want to put an over under on how many times Kaepernick refuses to stand for the anthem this season? I'm going to put it at 2.5 games.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

And you would get your answer if you read my last sentence of my previous post.
That isn't really an answer though.

If you truly don't have pride in America it isn't simply about one issue, and if it is then you would be better served not making it a global issue with words and terminology like that.

It goes into what pride means. It doesn't mean you agree with 100% of everything that happens or that things can't be improved. It does however mean that you view your country favorably and feel that in general it is good. If you don't feel that our country is in general good and you have the resources to do it why not find a country that you do consider good?

Of course it's an answer, and a perfectly acceptable one. Your issue with the answer is that you don't really have a rebuttal for it.

I don't really know what the bold part means.

If we are getting into what pride means, it's silly for guys like you and I to even discuss it in relation to America. We didn't really do anything good or bad to effect how America is today. It's like saying you take pride in the Chicago Cubs being great. It makes no sense.

But again, your response is a terrible one because you're basically dismissing any type of criticism and saying LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT. I would likely find issues to be critical of wherever I live, because we can and should always be doing better, and there is far from an ideal society anywhere in the world. So, it's ridiculous to suggest any rich person needs to just leave the country if they are currently unhappy with it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:09 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
We should compare this to the Lebron-Wade-Paul-perennial playoff disappointment Carmelo and how they made a good strong and clear message that conveys exactly what most people should agree with without turning it into a referendum on the country and a whole and the people who made and continue to make sacrifices every day for it.

I'm glad they protested in a way that you find acceptable.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:09 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
What is the message? That Colin Kaepernick loves all the good shit that America has given him but he hates the bad stuff and America's dark history? Okay, great. I'm sure no one would have recognized that without a shitty quarterback ignoring a social custom.

Has he said he hates America?

He's Colin Kaepernick. He can only be himself. If he feels that strongly he should do whatever he can. He should do more but nothing wrong with using the celebrity platform

What is this doing though? Did a subpar backup QB need to create a pseudo controversy to point out there are race issues in America? Its boring and lazy. Do something constructive with your "celebrity" and your millions of dollars.

This country needs to chill with the jingoism. I got bitched at a couple years back at a Sox game because I didn't put my hand over my heart during the anthem.

Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.

Patriotism is often just a softer word for "Nationalism." There was also a time when we thought of people who spoke out against a government they disagreed with as the literal version of a patriot. Clearly not anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:11 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

If its just a good natured question "have you considered living elsewhere, you may be happier?" that's fine.

If its leave because you don't appreciate this country enough or leave because you dissent, that's unAmerican

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:11 pm 

There's no way Kaepernick can keep this up for the whole season. He's going to cave when he feels the heat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:13 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
What is the message? That Colin Kaepernick loves all the good shit that America has given him but he hates the bad stuff and America's dark history? Okay, great. I'm sure no one would have recognized that without a shitty quarterback ignoring a social custom.

Has he said he hates America?

He's Colin Kaepernick. He can only be himself. If he feels that strongly he should do whatever he can. He should do more but nothing wrong with using the celebrity platform

What is this doing though? Did a subpar backup QB need to create a pseudo controversy to point out there are race issues in America? Its boring and lazy. Do something constructive with your "celebrity" and your millions of dollars.

I'm not saying he's MLK but he's doing what he can.

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:14 pm 

Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Anyone want to put an over under on how many times Kaepernick refuses to stand for the anthem this season? I'm going to put it at 2.5 games.

I would think he would either stand for it the rest of the season or sit for it the rest of the season. He's gonna look silly if he only does it a few games in a row and then stops. Doing it as a one time thing is understandable and he can easily justify it by saying he made his statement but doesn't want it to be a season long distraction.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Haven't seen this posted, but it looks like Kaep was given a chance to expound his reasoning behind making a stand by not standing:

Quote:
Do you personally feel oppressed?

CK: There have been situations where I feel like I’ve been ill-treated, yes. This stand wasn’t for me. This stand wasn’t because I feel like I’m being put down in any kind of way. This is because I’m seeing things happen to people that don’t have a voice, people that don’t have a platform to talk and have their voices heard, and effect change. So I’m in the position where I can do that and I’m going to do that for people that can’t.

Are you concerned that this can be seen as a blanket indictment of law enforcement in general?

CK: There is police brutality. People of color have been targeted by police. So that’s a large part of it and they’re government officials. They are put in place by the government. So that’s something that this country has to change. There’s things we can do to hold them more accountable. Make those standards higher. You have people that practice law and are lawyers and go to school for eight years, but you can become a cop in six months and don’t have to have the same amount of training as a cosmetologist. That’s insane. Someone that’s holding a curling iron has more education and more training than people that have a gun and are going out on the street to protect us.

Do you want to expand on that?

CK: You have Hillary who has called black teens or black kids super predators, you have Donald Trump who’s openly racist. We have a presidential candidate who has deleted emails and done things illegally and is a presidential candidate. That doesn’t make sense to me because if that was any other person you’d be in prison. So, what is this country really standing for?

What would be a success?

CK: That’s a tough question because there’s a lot of things that need to change, a lot of different issues that need to be addressed. That’s something that it’s really hard to lock down one specific thing that needs to change currently.

Can someone explain the purpose of this "social custom" of standing in unison to recite a patriotic song, and then why someone refusing to do that is seen as a personal slight against those in the immediate area and/or others of a specific group (law enforcement, military members, veterans of combat, etc.)? Then, can you explain why it makes sense in your brain to shame those that would dissent from such tradition, in this country with its history and relationship with protests of all kinds, into complicity?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
I would think he would either stand for it the rest of the season or sit for it the rest of the season. He's gonna look silly if he only does it a few games in a row and then stops.

Sometimes you feel like a patriot. Sometimes you don't.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:18 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
If we are getting into what pride means, it's silly for guys like you and I to even discuss it in relation to America. We didn't really do anything good or bad to effect how America is today. It's like saying you take pride in the Chicago Cubs being great. It makes no sense.
I respect the opportunities and options this country has provided me and the relatives that came before me and I would not choose to live in any other country.

FavreFan wrote:
But again, your response is a terrible one because you're basically dismissing any type of criticism and saying LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT. I would likely find issues to be critical of wherever I live, because we can and should always be doing better, and there is far from an ideal society anywhere in the world. So, it's ridiculous to suggest any rich person needs to just leave the country if they are currently unhappy with it.
I'm not dismissing any type of criticism. I am dismissing a criticism that is a global one like not having pride in the country because there are issues. Every country on Earth has issues but that doesn't mean you choose to say you have no pride in your country and if you do and you have economic mobility then why not find a country that you can be proud of?

I actually agree with a lot of the BLM platform but I still find a way to be proud of my country.

It's ok to wonder why someone chooses to stay where they do when they clearly have the ability to go elsewhere. If I hated the state I lived in and complained about it I wouldn't be shocked when someone said "Why not go someplace you will be happier at?". Somehow, when someone suggests the same for countries people act like you are saying some shocking thing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Can someone explain the purpose of this "social custom" of standing in unison to recite a patriotic song, and then why someone refusing to do that is seen as a personal slight against those in the immediate area and/or others of a specific group (law enforcement, military members, veterans of combat, etc.)? Then, can you explain why it makes sense in your brain to shame those that would dissent from such tradition, in this country with its history and relationship with protests of all kinds, into complicity?

I don't know that anyone considers your refusal to stand for the anthem a personal slight.

I'm sure you understand what social customs are. You have the luxury of ignoring them here in the U.S. with no greater repercussion than being looked at as a douchebag. That isn't the case everywhere in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:21 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I respect the opportunities and options this country has provided me and the relatives that came before me and I would not choose to live in any other country.

FavreFan wrote:
I'm not dismissing any type of criticism. I am dismissing a criticism that is a global one like not having pride in the country because there are issues. Every country on Earth has issues but that doesn't mean you choose to say you have no pride in your country and if you do and you have economic mobility then why not find a country that you can be proud of?

I actually agree with a lot of the BLM platform but I still find a way to be proud of my country.

It's ok to wonder why someone chooses to stay where they do when they clearly have the ability to go elsewhere. If I hated the state I lived in and complained about it I wouldn't be shocked when someone said "Why not go someplace you will be happier at?". Somehow, when someone suggests the same for countries people act like you are saying some shocking thing.

It seems to me that you think "I don't have pride in my country" is equal to "I hate my country", since you've made that switch more than once in this conversation. What is your issue with someone saying they have no pride in their country? Why do you think anybody who lives here should feel compelled to have pride in our country? That's the type of weird Soviet Union type of mentality that we should be better than.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:

I would think he would either stand for it the rest of the season or sit for it the rest of the season. He's gonna look silly if he only does it a few games in a row and then stops. Doing it as a one time thing is understandable and he can easily justify it by saying he made his statement but doesn't want it to be a season long distraction.

His contract is guaranteed, he has nothing to lose here. He will be receiving more than $11M no matter what.

#Patriot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:27 pm 

This is very close to Bernstein's "just move", in my opinion.

His family lives here. His friends live here. He grew up here. He has roots here. He pays taxes here. It's probably not as simple as "just moving." It would make much more sense, even from a practical standpoint, to try to affect change positively in the U.S.

And to clarify, if I had to guess, Kaepernick probably is an idiot with no real point (he might - I don't really care). But saying he should just leave is literally saying "Love it or Leave it." Crazy Conservatives are mocked for this phrase constantly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:27 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:

His contract is guaranteed, he has nothing to lose here. He will be receiving more than $11M no matter what.

#Patriot

I thought that was wrong, and googled it, and you're right. They gave him $61 million guaranteed!!! Damn, San Francisco residents should have no pride in Jed York.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:28 pm 

I have no issue with Kaepernick's decision to protest by sitting down during the national anthem. I believe you should have that right to protest in that manner. I just don't agree with Kaerpernick's term of "oppression". The US obviously has issues with race, but I think saying that the US oppresses people of color is extreme. When i think of oppressive societies I think of North Korea, Cuba, China. Or places in the past like East Germany, where people would risk their lives to flee the country.

I think it is hard to have a discussion about issues when people take such extreme viewpoints.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:30 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
It seems to me that you think "I don't have pride in my country" is equal to "I hate my country", since you've made that switch more than once in this conversation. What is your issue with someone saying they have no pride in their country? Why do you think anybody who lives here should feel compelled to have pride in our country? That's the type of weird Soviet Union type of mentality that we should be better than.
I don't have an issue with it. It just makes me question why you would stay if you had the ability to leave. It's simply a practical question.

It's just like the people that complain about Illinois and how they hate it there. If they have the ability to move then I question why they wouldn't. I'm doing the same with Kaepernick. I think you are taking it as much more than that.

Kaepernick has been made rich and famous beyond his wildest dreams because of this country and still continues to live a life that 99.9% of the world would be jealous of. If he can't be grateful for that then I think he may be better finding a country that would be better for him.

Also, the secondary point is that there isn't another country without issues.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Do you think this shit for brains will blame his not starting because of his stance? Also I equate the lively banter between Joe Orr Road and jbi11s to that of Shana Alexander and James J. Kilpatrick :roll:

I'm out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:31 pm 

enigma wrote:
I just don't agree with Kaerpernick's term of "oppression". The US obviously has issues with race, but I think saying that the US oppresses people of color is extreme.

People like him think that the whole legal system is set up to put black men in prison.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:32 pm 

enigma wrote:
I have no issue with Kaepernick's decision to protest by sitting down during the national anthem. I believe you should have that right to protest in that manner. I just don't agree with Kaerpernick's term of "oppression". The US obviously has issues with race, but I think saying that the US oppresses people of color is extreme. When i think of oppressive societies I think of North Korea, Cuba, China. Or places in the past like East Germany, where people would risk their lives to flee the country.

I think it is hard to have a discussion about issues when people take such extreme viewpoints.

It is, and it also makes it worse when people get so worked up about something like this. It's the same as when people get worked up over the Duck Dynasty guy not supporting gay marriage. He's a hillbilly who made a fortune fashioning duck whistles! Did you really think he was a bleeding heart?

People need to relax in this damn country.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:32 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
This is very close to Bernstein's "just move", in my opinion.
The only problem with Bernstein's "just move" thought is that most of the people there don't have the ability to move and if they did they would probably go to another neighborhood with the same issues. If they were given a free house in Schaumburg then they should move.

leashyourkids wrote:
His family lives here. His friends live here. He grew up here. He has roots here. He pays taxes here. It's probably not as simple as "just moving." It would make much more sense, even from a practical standpoint, to try to affect change positively in the U.S.
Sounds like this country has provided him a pretty decent and fulfilling life here doesn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:33 pm 

enigma wrote:

I dunno, as a white guy it's hard for me to say. But I dont think the following definitions are too extreme for the conversation, especially considering all the policy brutality videos we have seen recently, not to mention the effects of redlining and mass incarceration:

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next