It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:56 am 

Nas wrote:
LTG is the middle-class middle aged guy that pushed for Clinton Crime Bill and now he's wondering why the family structure is broken. Bullets and bars was the solution for guys like LTG when books and opportunity was the thing that was needed. I understand not wanting certain things in your neighborhood but sometimes "getting rid" of all of them creates bigger problems.

You have it wrong. The family wasn't destroyed by the crime bill. Drugs destroyed black families. The crime bill was a reaction to that. I came of age during that period. I also grew up in a part of Chicago that trafficked in a tremendous amount of it. Chicago and other urban areas were ravaged by violence back then. A large portion of it emanated from drugs both using and dealing. I grew up with a number of guys that never made it to their 18th birthday. Again much of it was drug related.

I laugh when people say non violent drug user. Violence is a by product of drugs in most cases. The things people do to acquire drugs can be deadly. I'm not suggesting that it (crime bill) isn't flawed. It is but at the time Inner cities were war zones. I can trace much of it to drugs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:13 am 

I remember this article when it was published. I was a college student at the time and if you want to know why the crime bill was passed it was due to situations such as this. Drugs weren't merely a business transaction. Drugs were a way of life in ghetto communities. They impacted every aspect of life in ghetto areas.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1993 ... ings-gangs

I grew up near this area and this article was spot on about what took place here and other areas like it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Hockey Gay wrote:
Steve is openly racist where as guys like ltg and RR are clearly very racist but won't just come out and say it.

RR is part Lugan. You can't trust such folk.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Lots of people are racist. I would say more than half the population is. Not just whites. If you work and encounter people of many differing ethnic backgrounds, but only socialize (go to the theater, dinner, sporting events) with people who are of the same ethnic background as yourself, you are racist. You choose to refrain from doing things with those other groups. It might be an unconscious decision, but it is what it is. I am just more aware and unashamed to state my feelings on the subject. I prefer to be with people of a similar ethnic background. Not burning crosses or getting involved in a lynching, just making decisions on where to live and work that take into consideration where I can do those things while avoiding people I don't care to interact with. So if Kaepernick protesters want to encourage blacks from attending NFL football games.....hell, it only creates a more agreeable atmosphere to watch a game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:28 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Lots of people are racist. I would say more than half the population is. Not just whites. If you work and encounter people of many differing ethnic backgrounds, but only socialize (go to the theater, dinner, sporting events) with people who are of the same ethnic background as yourself, you are racist. You choose to refrain from doing things with those other groups. It might be an unconscious decision, but it is what it is. I am just more aware and unashamed to state my feelings on the subject. I prefer to be with people of a similar ethnic background. Not burning crosses or getting involved in a lynching, just making decisions on where to live and work that take into consideration where I can do those things while avoiding people I don't care to interact with. So if Kaepernick protesters want to encourage blacks from attending NFL football games.....hell, it only creates a more agreeable atmosphere to watch a game.

You realize that it isn't 1956? You are obviously free to socialize with whomever you feel comfortable with but most people in 2017 have no issue working next to or socializing with people who look different than them. Besides even if you are only comfortable socializing with people who look like you that doesn't mean that you have to go out of your way to insult people who look different than you. That says a lot about you.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:41 pm 
100000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
LTG is the middle-class middle aged guy that pushed for Clinton Crime Bill and now he's wondering why the family structure is broken. Bullets and bars was the solution for guys like LTG when books and opportunity was the thing that was needed. I understand not wanting certain things in your neighborhood but sometimes "getting rid" of all of them creates bigger problems.

You have it wrong. The family wasn't destroyed by the crime bill. Drugs destroyed black families. The crime bill was a reaction to that. I came of age during that period. I also grew up in a part of Chicago that trafficked in a tremendous amount of it. Chicago and other urban areas were ravaged by violence back then. A large portion of it emanated from drugs both using and dealing. I grew up with a number of guys that never made it to their 18th birthday. Again much of it was drug related.

I laugh when people say non violent drug user. Violence is a by product of drugs in most cases. The things people do to acquire drugs can be deadly. I'm not suggesting that it (crime bill) isn't flawed. It is but at the time Inner cities were war zones. I can trace much of it to drugs.

Drugs have been hurting families of all groups of people since the beginning time. The Crime Bill destroyed the families of poor and minorities. It was nothing more than an overreaction to a government created problem.

I grew up on the right side of the viaduct as a kid but I still saw drugs and crime almost daily. I had a shoebox with too many obituaries in it before I turned 18. Most of them came AFTER the Crime Bill when the hierarchy of these organizations were removed. As a kid that spent a large chunk of my youth at Avalon Park I can't recall an innocent person being shot around there before 1995. Before 1995 the older heads wouldn't allow anyone to shoot up a park or would literally tap you on the shoulder and tell you to go home. After 1995 you had idiots shooting everywhere and nothing nut chaos. Before 1995 seeing a father and son was fairly common. By the middle of the next decade it was like seeing a unicorn. The men were removed from the family and even when released from prison they had very few opportunities outside of crime.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:45 pm 

Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

Drugs have been hurting families of all groups of people since the beginning time. The Crime Bill destroyed the families of poor and minorities. It was nothing more than an overreaction to a government created problem.

I grew up on the right side of the viaduct as a kid but I still saw drugs and crime almost daily. I had a shoebox with too many obituaries in it before I turned 18. Most of them came AFTER the Crime Bill when the hierarchy of these organizations were removed. As a kid that spent a large chunk of my youth at Avalon Park I can't recall an innocent person being shot around there before 1995. Before 1995 the older heads wouldn't allow anyone to shoot up a park or would literally tap you on the shoulder and tell you to go home. After 1995 you had idiots shooting everywhere and nothing nut chaos. Before 1995 seeing a father and son was fairly common. By the middle of the next decade it was like seeing a unicorn. The men were removed from the family and even when released from prison they had very few opportunities outside of crime.

That's one of the bleakest things I've read in a while.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
long time guy wrote:
I laugh when people say non violent drug user. Violence is a by product of drugs in most cases.

Violence is a byproduct of drug prohibition much more than any drug itself.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
I laugh when people say non violent drug user. Violence is a by product of drugs in most cases.

This guy gets it.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Instead of a war on poverty they got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:32 am 

Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

Black men were removed from the home years before the crime bill was conceived. Moynihan's study on the black family was written 30 years before that. Most sociologists attribute the desertion of black males to things that precede the crime bill. There was a steep decline in the number of homicides in Chicago shortly after that bill was enacted.

It wasn't just whites that were calling for govt to get tough on crime. Blacks were as well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:56 am 

It's one of the great ironies of the board that Elmhurst Steve is proving he doesn't even know what racism is.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:00 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
tommy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

That's one of the bleakest things I've read in a while.

Yup. Shoe boxes are for baseball cards.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:46 am 

long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

Black men were removed from the home years before the crime bill was conceived. Moynihan's study on the black family was written 30 years before that. Most sociologists attribute the desertion of black males to things that precede the crime bill. There was a steep decline in the number of homicides in Chicago shortly after that bill was enacted.

It wasn't just whites that were calling for govt to get tough on crime. Blacks were as well.

that seems true, too. can't they both be true? not sure what you guys are even arguing over.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:50 am 

Charles Murray's book, Coming Apart, has staggering stats on employment, divorce rates, and crime, and most of it is not racial. It is truly socioeconomic. To avoid the criticisms he took from his Bell Curve book, he only used whites for Coming Apart to show the socioeconomic factors for 1960's America and today.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Are you guys sure it's just not that they're lazy?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:22 am 
100000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

It wasn't just the black fathers that were removed, you had the same thing happening to poor and minorities everywhere. While there was a decline of the involvement of the black father prior to the Crime Bill, he was virtually eliminated a decade later.

You're rewriting history on the homicide numbers. In 1999 or 2000 (can’t remember and don't feel like looking it up) there were 1000 murders in Chicago. The decline didn't really happen until this decade and we are starting to see the numbers climb again.

I know there were MANY blacks that were at a similar points and status in life as you are that were pushing for the Crime Bill then. I pointed that out in this thread and others. Just like now there are MANY blacks that are pushing for the National Guard to come in. You all were out of touch and wrong then and the same is true now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:12 pm 

The definition of mass confusion.....Father's day in East St. Louis.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:15 pm 

Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

It wasn't just the black fathers that were removed, you had the same thing happening to poor and minorities everywhere. While there was a decline of the involvement of the black father prior to the Crime Bill, he was virtually eliminated a decade later.

You're rewriting history on the homicide numbers. In 1999 or 2000 (can’t remember and don't feel like looking it up) there were 1000 murders in Chicago. The decline didn't really happen until this decade and we are starting to see the numbers climb again.

I know there were MANY blacks that were at a similar points and status in life as you are that were pushing for the Crime Bill then. I pointed that out in this thread and others. Just like now there are MANY blacks that are pushing for the National Guard to come in. You all were out of touch and wrong then and the same is true now.

it seems to be a general class thing at this point (though the reasons may differ). and it's only certain groups of minorities. none of that takes away from your point, though, nor is it intended to, because race obviously structures our lives in different ways than class.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:16 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Hmm.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:17 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:

so this is what you guys were talking about when you were talking about Elmhurst Steve....now I get it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:19 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

You're gonna need evidence for that, Big Daddy. Not saying you're wrong.

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Yeah...

Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
tommy wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

so this is what you guys were talking about when you were talking about Elmhurst Steve....now I get it

His posts ebb and flow with his personal life.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:20 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Charles Murray's book, Coming Apart, has staggering stats on employment, divorce rates, and crime, and most of it is not racial. It is truly socioeconomic. To avoid the criticisms he took from his Bell Curve book, he only used whites for Coming Apart to show the socioeconomic factors for 1960's America and today.

Denis, if he comes back, wanna go see him speak? I'm not a librarian* by any means, but I enjoyed this book.

* yeah, he said librarian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:24 pm 

tommy wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Denis, if he comes back, wanna go see him speak? I'm not a librarian* by any means, but I enjoyed this book.

I thought about going to see him speak, but I hate to invest too much time listening to like minded individuals. I would much rather listen to someone with an opposing view point on the decline of the family and the increase in the wealth gap.

I didn't know anything about him when I read that book. It is one plausible explanation for many of the problems we face today.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:25 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Are you guys sure it's just not that they're lazy?

You know I hate to generalize, but.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:25 pm 
100000 CLUB

tommy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

it seems to be a general class thing at this point (though the reasons may differ). and it's only certain groups of minorities. none of that takes away from your point, though, nor is it intended to, because race obviously structures our lives in different ways than class.

It is a class issue. I wasn't clear but that's the point I was trying to make. Middle class minority families aren't generally missing fathers. It's the poor families of all kinds that have this issue. Middle class and older blacks have historically supported things that have made conditions worse for the poor out of fear. Anyone with a functioning brain should have been able to see the damage the Crime Bill would cause AND how foolish putting the National Guard in poor communities would be.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:32 pm 

Nas wrote:
It is a class issue. I wasn't clear but that's the point I was trying to make. Middle class minority families aren't generally missing fathers. It's the poor families of all kinds that have this issue. Middle class and older blacks have historically supported things that have made conditions worse for the poor out of fear. Anyone with a functioning brain should have been able to see the damage the Crime Bill would cause AND how foolish putting the National Guard in poor communities would be.

Gotcha.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:33 pm 

denisdman wrote:
tommy wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I thought about going to see him speak, but I hate to invest too much time listening to like minded individuals. I would much rather listen to someone with an opposing view point on the decline of the family and the increase in the wealth gap.

I didn't know anything about him when I read that book. It is one plausible explanation for many of the problems we face today.

i have to call bullshit on that one, denis

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next