It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Isiah Lord Thomas
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
BigW72 wrote:
If Magic acknowledges Jordan as the GOAT, it's something he's come to accept. I could be wrong, but I believe there was a time he didn't acknowledge that.

Even if we can't accept Jordan as the GOAT, the Pistons run was over the Bulls had the next run. Isiah should just leave it at that. Those Pistons teams were amazing. He acts like no one acknowledges that...I think most do. It's kind of sad.

I'll even go on and say Jordan is probably a bigger asshole than Isiah....none of that matters.

I think Isiah kind of has but people are still asking about it that likely were not born at the time that this stuff was going on. Plus It was Jordan and his last dance that brought that stuff back.

I think Isiah is definitely bitter for not being considered in that 80's Mt Rushmore of guys Bird, Magic, Jordan, when it is obvious that he should be. The league never marketed him as a player as much as they marketed the Bad Boys team and promoted the team's image as tough guys.

Another thing which hurt him was when he made the bigoted comment about Larry Bird in the 86-87 playoffs . He was sort of sticking up for Rodman (who was a rookie) more than anything but it still was a bogus thing to say. That was probably the start of his downfall image wise more than anything.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:17 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The Missing Link wrote:
That was probably the start of his downfall image wise more than anything.

Well that and the fact that he bankrupted two teams and then an entire league.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:22 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

Nah your timeline and facts are off on this. Shocking. Has a lot of "Score inspired narrative" to it as well.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Last edited by The Missing Link on Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:22 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Jordan was / is the GOAT.

I think Isiah takes issue with that. Because it's an opinion. But Bulls fans state it as an inarguable fact.

Most people over 30 give him the label. Larry Bird and Magic also consider him to be the greatest. He's the consensus pick.

I don't know if Magic and Bird consider him the greatest. Most guys are diplomatic. Isiah and Jordan are exceptions. That's probably why we're talking about them.

And I would say it's guys that are under 40 who consider Jordan "the GOAT" and will accept no questioning of it. Guys that played with and against Dr. J., Kareem, Magic, Bird, etc. don't worship Michael Jordan the way Kobe did.

I don't argue that Jordan is the consensus pick as "the greatest" whatever that means and for whatever it's worth. But you also have to accept that there are guys partcipating in creating that consensus that don't even know who Connie Hawkins or Elgin Baylor or Oscar Robertson are.

Magic and Bird have both given Jordan the crown. Magic is more outspoken in his love of all things Jordan.

When I look back at the numbers, I never understand why Wilt didn't get more love. They don't make men who have the endurance and durability he had. He has to be arguably the greatest athlete ever.

Basketball is probably one who those sports where the GOAT is a generational thing. Jordan pushed it to about a generation and a half. Now LeBron is taking over with the under 30 crowd. Luka looks like he has next.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
The Missing Link wrote:
I think Isiah is definitely bitter for not being considered in that 80's Mt Rushmore of guys Bird, Magic, Jordan, when it is obvious that he should be. The league never marketed him as a player as much as they marketed the Bad Boys team and promoted the team's image as tough guys.

Another thing which hurt him was when he made the bigoted comment about Larry Bird in the 86-87 playoffs . He was sort of sticking up for Rodman (who was a rookie) more than anything but it still was a bogus thing to say. That was probably the start of his downfall image wise more than anything.

I think this says it all.
Isiah can take comfort in Jordan also being an awful front office person. They have that in common :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:31 am 

He was a great player, one of the greatest of all time and definitely one of the top guys of the 80s. But his memory is definitely skewed. He says that the league really took off when the Pistons came on the scene. That is just not true. Whether he likes it or not, Magic/Lakers and Bird/Celtics are the ones that brought the league back. The Pistons had their part and they definitely get overshadowed. But they are at best the 3rd most important group from that time frame. The Laker/Celtic rivalry and the Jordan Bulls are ahead of them.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:32 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Larry Bird is the only all time great who didn't suck as a coach and front office guy.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:33 am 
Site Admin

The Missing Link wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

Nah your timeline and facts are off on this. Shocking. Has a lot of "Score inspired narrative" to it as well.

It's hyperbole. He did fuck up two teams and actually bankrupted the CBA. Not sure what "timeline" you're talking about. I don't remember the dates this shit occurred.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
RFDC wrote:
He was a great player, one of the greatest of all time and definitely one of the top guys of the 80s. But his memory is definitely skewed. He says that the league really took off when the Pistons came on the scene. That is just not true. Whether he likes it or not, Magic/Lakers and Bird/Celtics are the ones that brought the league back. The Pistons had their part and they definitely get overshadowed. But they are at best the 3rd most important group from that time frame. The Laker/Celtic rivalry and the Jordan Bulls are ahead of them.

Its sort of like that 05 Sox WS win in that sense.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:37 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

It's hyperbole. He did fuck up two teams and actually bankrupted the CBA. Not sure what "timeline" you're talking about. I don't remember the dates this shit occurred.

His image took a hit well before the stuff regarding "bankrupting" the CBA ever happened. And he also didn't "bankrupt" the CBA either. That is Dan Bernstein inspired claptrap that simply was not based in the reality of what actually occurred.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:39 am 

RFDC wrote:

Magic Bird did "save" the league technically but playoff games were still being played on tape delay even as they were in the process of playing in the NBA Finals.
I don't remember him saying that but what I do remember him stating is that the highest rated games of the 80's all involved the Detroit Pistons. Might be true. He also stated correctly that the Silverdome was the only one of all the stadiums in the league to get 50,000 fans in it on any given game day.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Last edited by The Missing Link on Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Nas wrote:
Basketball is probably one who those sports where the GOAT is a generational thing. Jordan pushed it to about a generation and a half. Now LeBron is taking over with the under 30 crowd. Luka looks like he has next.

Luka's a fat smoker who turns 24 next month. Luka has maybe 3 seasons to win a title before it's all

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:41 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I don't remember him saying that but what I do remember him stating is that the highest rated games of the 80's all involved the Detroit Pistons. Might be true. He also stated correctly that the Silverdome was the only one of all the stadiums in the league to get 50,000 fans in it on any given game day.

It was right before he mentioned the highest rated games. He said the league really took off with the Pistons.

Sure they got 50,000 fans because their place holded more than others. That dont really prove anything. The 84-86 Lakers and Celtics would have sold out any place you wanted if they played there.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:43 am 

RFDC wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
RFDC wrote:

It was right before he mentioned the highest rated games. He said the league really took off with the Pistons.

Sure they got 50,000 fans because their place holded more than others. That dont really prove anything. The 84-86 Lakers and Celtics would have sold out any place you wanted if they played there.

I edited my earlier comment to include this. Playoff games were still being played on tape delay even as the Magic/Bird show was being played out. Its hard to say that the league "took off" with this being the case. And it does "prove" something. It proves that the Pistons were viable enough to place 50,000 people in the seats. We can speculate all we want about what the others might or would do, but they were the only ones that did it.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:56 am 

Nas wrote:
Larry Bird is the only all time great who didn't suck as a coach and front office guy.

Jerry West would like a word with you. And yeah I know that he didn't coach long

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:03 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
RFDC wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I edited my earlier comment to include this. Playoff games were still being played on tape delay even as the Magic/Bird show was being played out. Its hard to say that the league "took off" with this being the case. And it does "prove" something. It proves that the Pistons were viable enough to place 50,000 people in the seats. We can speculate all we want about what the others might or would do, but they were the only ones that did it.

The eighties were a weird era. Boston was routinely playing games in Hartford and Atlanta played a few games in New Orleans.

But I laughed at his claim that the Pistons played in the highest rated games. Boston/LA were the big games with Philly getting the attention before Jordan arrived. He can't accept that Detroit played boring basketball that many didn't want to watch.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
RFDC wrote:

I would add Doc’s Sixers to the Celtics/Lakers rivalry. When I was a yute it seemed like 2 of those teams were facing each other on every nationally televised Saturday game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Regular Reader wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
RFDC wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
RFDC wrote:

The eighties were a weird era. Boston was routinely playing games in Hartford and Atlanta played a few games in New Orleans.

But I laughed at his claim that the Pistons played in the highest rated games. Boston/LA were the big games with Philly getting the attention before Jordan arrived. He can't accept that Detroit played boring basketball that many didn't want to watch.

There's quite a few things Isiah cannot seem to accept :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:14 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
RFDC wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
RFDC wrote:

He might be right though about playing in the highest rated games though. And the NBA marketed the Bad Boys a helluva lot more than they would like to admit now.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:15 am 

They were the highest rated games because of what came before them. They were the highest because of Magic, Larry, Jordan. Not because of Isiah and the bad boys.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:16 am 

RFDC wrote:
They were the highest rated games because of what came before them. They were the highest because of Magic, Larry, Jordan. Not because of Isiah and the bad boys.

This seems like more speculation. And revisionist history.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:18 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Not really.

The NBA went from tape delay to huge ratings. What connected and started those two times?

Showtime. LA/Boston. Magic/Bird. It is not that hard.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
The Missing Link wrote:
RFDC wrote:

It’s not revisionist, it’s clearly true. And if ratings are the key to determining popularity then the Knicks/Bulls rivalry was the peak.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

I think Isiah takes issue with that. Because it's an opinion. But Bulls fans state it as an inarguable fact.

Most people over 30 give him the label. Larry Bird and Magic also consider him to be the greatest. He's the consensus pick.

I don't know if Magic and Bird consider him the greatest. Most guys are diplomatic. Isiah and Jordan are exceptions. That's probably why we're talking about them.

And I would say it's guys that are under 40 who consider Jordan "the GOAT" and will accept no questioning of it. Guys that played with and against Dr. J., Kareem, Magic, Bird, etc. don't worship Michael Jordan the way Kobe did.

I don't argue that Jordan is the consensus pick as "the greatest" whatever that means and for whatever it's worth. But you also have to accept that there are guys partcipating in creating that consensus that don't even know who Connie Hawkins or Elgin Baylor or Oscar Robertson are.

Magic and Bird have both given Jordan the crown. Magic is more outspoken in his love of all things Jordan.

When I look back at the numbers, I never understand why Wilt didn't get more love. They don't make men who have the endurance and durability he had. He has to be arguably the greatest athlete ever.

Guys in the NBA under 30 think Kobe is GOAT. I've heard "Kobe is the GOAT of our era," or something like it, often from these players.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:39 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
RFDC wrote:

It’s not revisionist, it’s clearly true. And if ratings are the key to determining popularity then the Knicks/Bulls rivalry was the peak.

No that is your opinion. What is "true" is his claim that the ratings for the Bad Boys Pistons were higher than the Celtics and The Lakers.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:41 am 

RFDC wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Not really.

The NBA went from tape delay to huge ratings. What connected and started those two times?

Seemingly it is. If he is claming that the ratings were HIGHER for his Bad Boys than the Showtime Lakers and Celtics, then what is UNTRUE about the claim? Just Asking A Question.

And if "WE" are going to go by guys that helped GROW THE LEAGUE in the early 80's then neither Magic or Bird would be THE DUDE. By far the most popular basketball player in the early 80's was Doctor J. And it wasn't EVEN CLOSE.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
veganfan21 wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

Guys in the NBA under 30 think Kobe is GOAT. I've heard "Kobe is the GOAT of our era," or something like it, often from these players.

Ah, the old GOATOOE

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:46 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
RFDC wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Not really.

Seemingly it is. If he is claming that the ratings were HIGHER for his Bad Boys than the Showtime Lakers and Celtics, then what is UNTRUE about the claim? Just Asking A Question.

And if "WE" are going to go by guys that helped GROW THE LEAGUE in the early 80's then neither Magic or Bird would be THE DUDE. By far the most popular basketball player in the early 80's was Doctor J. And it wasn't EVEN CLOSE.

Again, his claim was that the NBA took off with the Pistons run. That is just not true. Sure throw in Dr J and the 76ers into that mix. That just shows my point again. The Pistons drew high ratings because of the time period before them that took the league from tape delay to those high ratings. The league did not take off because of the Pistons.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
If I had to win a game or maybe a best of three tournament I think I'd build the team around Shaq instead of Jordan. Might go as follows:

C: Shaq (centerpiece)
PF: Dirk (shooter/can give Shaq space to operate)
SF: Pippen (mainly for lockdown defense)
SG: Ray Allen (shooter)
PG: LeBron (distributor and wing defender)

I'd take that team against a Jordan-led team.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:50 am 
Site Admin

veganfan21 wrote:
If I had to win a game or maybe a best of three tournament I think I'd build the team around Shaq instead of Jordan. Might go as follows:

C: Shaq (centerpiece)
PF: Dirk (shooter/can give Shaq space to operate)
SF: Pippen (mainly for lockdown defense)
SG: Ray Allen (shooter)
PG: LeBron (distributor and wing defender)

I'd take that team against a Jordan-led team.

Shaq is the most criminally underrated player of all time. "He's just big."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next