It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tim Tebow
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:23 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Brick wrote:
Even if you are saying it's because he won a Heisman I have a long list of people who disappeared quickly after it.

Yeah, he's one of them. He had a tremendous amount of college success that didn't translate too much to the pro game (though he had far more success in the pro game than other you might cite like...breaking the parenthesis..)...Dwyane Haskins, Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Rick Mirer, Dan McGwire, Cade McNown, Akili Smith, Heath Shuler, Tim Couch....

Lot of 1st round guys didn't win a playoff game.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:24 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Again, I go back to, he's just a guy. I don't really get the level of hatred that he seems to inspire.

I can name a huge amount of people who were just as good as him at the game of football(and baseball, and on tv) who didn't get the chances he did though.

Even if you are saying it's because he won a Heisman I have a long list of people who disappeared quickly after it.

Tebow is arguably in the conversation for greatest college football player of all time.

Sure, and that doesn't get you anything of the things I've mentioned besides maybe some of the tv stuff but you still have to be good at it or you go away quickly. Even Joe Montana got half a year and he "retired".

It’ll probably get you that TV gig and the backup role on the Jets. You may have a point about baseball.

...and the first round pick when everyone knew you couldn't throw well enough to play quarterback.

What do you think the Jets thought? Oh, the Broncos just misused him?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:25 pm 

Brick wrote:

Yeah, he's one of them. He had a tremendous amount of college success that didn't translate too much to the pro game (though he had far more success in the pro game than other you might cite like...breaking the parenthesis..)...Dwyane Haskins, Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Rick Mirer, Dan McGwire, Cade McNown, Akili Smith, Heath Shuler, Tim Couch....

Now let's compare how their careers went and Tebows. Is he getting to play TE for the Jags next year because he won a playoff game?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
This is an odd hill for Brick to die on...

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:
Again, I go back to, he's just a guy. I don't really get the level of hatred that he seems to inspire.

I can name a huge amount of people who were just as good as him at the game of football(and baseball, and on tv) who didn't get the chances he did though.

Tebow is arguably in the conversation for greatest college football player of all time.

Sure, and that doesn't get you anything of the things I've mentioned besides maybe some of the tv stuff but you still have to be good at it or you go away quickly. Even Joe Montana got half a year and he "retired".

It’ll probably get you that TV gig and the backup role on the Jets. You may have a point about baseball.

...and the first round pick when everyone knew you couldn't throw well enough to play quarterback.

What do you think the Jets thought? Oh, the Broncos just misused him?

Well I don’t think McDaniels drafted him because of religion if that’s what you’re suggesting.

If memory serves, the Jets were going to use him in a variety of packages & roles à la a proto-Taysom Hill.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:

Now let's compare how their careers went and Tebows. Is he getting to play TE for the Jags next year because he won a playoff game?

No, because he's a world-class athlete that stuck with the idea that he could be a professional athlete.

Russell Wilson didn't give up because he was a lower draft choice for the Cubs.

You really have an issue with Tebow. He's a guy. He wants to play sports. He can. And he's been trying for a while with success because he has some ability.

If I knew that going to Africa during summer break to circumscize people could get you millions of dollars I would have been knee deep in foreskins.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:30 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
If I knew that going to Africa during summer break to circumscize people could get you millions of dollars I would have been knee deep in foreskins.

George Clooney man!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:31 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

Stop being disappointed because you didn't get the money for it.

It's timing.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:32 pm 

Well I don’t think McDaniels drafted him because of religion if that’s what you’re suggesting.

If memory serves, the Jets were going to use him in a variety of packages & roles à la a proto-Taysom Hill.
I think the "story of Tim Tebow" is a lot more attractive than the "athletic ability of Tim Tebow".

Even if you think he had a well earned NFL career, the baseball career is impossible to defend if not for his "story" which he's built around religion since before he walked onto the campus at Florida.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
This latest chance is only Urban and some stunt or favor. As for religion I am not sure how that gets you anywhere in the NFL. Not many evangelicals owning teams that I know of. They kinda work on gods day too.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:35 pm 

I have to go buy a garage door now. Somebody keep telling BRick that he's wrong.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:36 pm 

No, because he's a world-class athlete that stuck with the idea that he could be a professional athlete.

You really have an issue with Tebow. He's a guy. He wants to play sports. He can. And he's been trying for a while with success because he has some ability.
I'm not faulting him for trying to be a pro athlete. I'm saying every opportunity he has gotten has been as much to do with his story as it did his ability.

You didn't have to be Mel Kiper to know he wasn't going to amount to much as an NFL quarterback just like a huge array of highly successful college quarterbacks that had no shot of being good in the NFL at that position.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:36 pm 

I have to go buy a garage door now. Somebody keep telling BRick that he's wrong.

So why did he, a guy who hadn't played baseball since his junior year of high school, get a 5 year stint with the Mets?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:37 pm 

Brick wrote:

I'm not faulting him for trying to be a pro athlete. I'm saying every opportunity he has gotten has been as much to do with his story as it did his ability.

You didn't have to be Mel Kiper to know he wasn't going to amount to much as an NFL quarterback just like a huge array of highly successful college quarterbacks that had no shot of being good in the NFL at that position.

The same things were said about Lamar Jackson

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:38 pm 

Brick wrote:
[ven if you think he had a well earned NFL career, the baseball career is impossible to defend if not for his "story" which he's built around religion since before he walked onto the campus at Florida.

BS. You've never read a story of a failed NFL/NBA/WNBA player that was a stud baseball player in HS that almost got drafted to MLB but chose WNBA instead and got invited to tryout for MLB after that other thing failed?

You're just digging your heals in now.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:39 pm 

Brick wrote:

So why did he, a guy who hadn't played baseball since his junior year of high school, get a 5 year stint with the Mets?

Similar reason MJ with the Sox. Stunt.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:40 pm 

If my garage door is not of the quality that I wanted, I'm blaming you now.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:45 pm 

Brick wrote:

Is it your theory that the Denver Broncos GM not only drafted him but actually moved up in the draft to draft him because he was overtly christian?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:52 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Brick wrote:

Some people who are actually employed by the NFL on their pre draft opinions of Tebow:

According to former Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden, who said he could "revolutionize" the pro game, Tebow was "the strongest human being that's ever played the position. He can throw well enough at any level."[111] Former Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy said he would pick Tebow with a top 10 pick over any quarterback in the 2010 Draft.

It's also worth noting that 2010 was a particularly bad year to be drafting a QB with only 2 taken in the first round (Sam Bradford). The next QB taken after Tebow was Jimmy Clausen. Not that is a guy who is a poster boy for hype over production.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:57 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Brick wrote:

Of course it was. But he'd proven himself as a pro athlete and Jerry was still paying him in the hope that he'd come back to the Bulls.

And Jordan caught all kinds of hell that Tebow isn't really.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:59 pm 

I’m not a Tebow fan. I just don’t believe the religion angle.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:00 pm 

I think this thread is a good example. A guy who was clearly overdrafted who has gotten chances most would never get after failing and virtually everyone is like "How dare you say Tim Tebow benefitted from his story!".

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:01 pm 

Brick wrote:
[ven if you think he had a well earned NFL career, the baseball career is impossible to defend if not for his "story" which he's built around religion since before he walked onto the campus at Florida.

BS. You've never read a story of a failed NFL/NBA/WNBA player that was a stud baseball player in HS that almost got drafted to MLB but chose WNBA instead and got invited to tryout for MLB after that other thing failed?

You're just digging your heals in now.

For 5 years? Who?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:01 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Brick wrote:

Exactly.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:03 pm 

The problem with that is finally he is going to try to do what he should have all along, be Gronk. The TV has to be because he has popularity or q rating. His “story” is making him lower his demands to be a QB and be off TV if he hangs on with Jags.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:03 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Brick wrote:

Some people who are actually employed by the NFL on their pre draft opinions of Tebow:

According to former Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden, who said he could "revolutionize" the pro game, Tebow was "the strongest human being that's ever played the position. He can throw well enough at any level."[111] Former Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy said he would pick Tebow with a top 10 pick over any quarterback in the 2010 Draft.

It's also worth noting that 2010 was a particularly bad year to be drafting a QB with only 2 taken in the first round (Sam Bradford). The next QB taken after Tebow was Jimmy Clausen. Not that is a guy who is a poster boy for hype over production.

Gruden overhuping QBs is his brand. You want Gruden on Nathan Peterman?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:13 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Brick wrote:

It sure was not because he was good at baseball.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:13 pm 

Jon Gruden is a fraud who only got a ring because the idiot Raiders didn't change the playbook (or calls) he'd installed.

And the next player he develops or maxes out will be his first.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Regular Reader wrote:
Jon Gruden is a fraud who only got a ring because the idiot Raiders didn't change the playbook (or calls) he'd installed.

And the next player he develops or maxes out will be his first.

Thank God someone said it.
I don't know if he's really an idiot or if he just ejaculates superlatives involuntarily but it is just ridiculous listening to him speak.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next