It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
SuperMario wrote:
A belated thank you to all the veterans.

My dad was one of the rare occurrences as someone who was drafted out of college for the Vietnam War. He tested high enough for officer's training, but he thought it would require too long of service. He also played a mean trumpet, so they also said he could have been in the military band. But again, that was a 5-year service. So he instead decided he would go as a combat soldier as it was only for 2 years, and he fought on the front lines for over a year. During his time received three Purple Hearts at different times from wounds sustained from mortar, a grenade and eventually a bullet that was fired through another soldier's head into his torso. Still has fragments of it inside him to this date.

He's definitely lucky to be alive, and I am lucky to be here today. For that and many other reasons, I am always grateful to our current and former members of the military.

I have a similar story because I was drafted out of graduate school (Kent State). I also could have gone into officer training but the only two MOS available were infantry and artillery(forward observer) and didn't want the extra year of service. I became an 11C (mortar) but never fired a mortar in nam. I was a regular grunt 11B. I could have gone to sniper training in a school in nam but it would have once again required an additional year of service. I received one purple heart for an eye injury as a result of a rocket attack and two Bronze Stars, one for valor.

The Hawk- Were you at Kent State at the time the National Guard rioted? Did you do your undergrad there? Did you play baseball there?

No. I went into grad school in 1967(fall semester) and got drafted while in grad school after the winter semester of 1968. I went into the service in Jan 1969 and got an early out to register for fall semester of 1970. I was in Nam when the Kent State riots occurred. May of 1970. I was a grad assistant for the baseball team while at Kent State but didn't pay baseball there. They had Thurmon Munson and Steve Stone when I was in grad school there and played flag football against Munson who was an awesome athlete and tough as hell. HE ran me over a couple of times while blocking for his ATO fraternity against my grad school team and loved doing it. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
The Hawk wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
SuperMario wrote:

My dad was one of the rare occurrences as someone who was drafted out of college for the Vietnam War. He tested high enough for officer's training, but he thought it would require too long of service. He also played a mean trumpet, so they also said he could have been in the military band. But again, that was a 5-year service. So he instead decided he would go as a combat soldier as it was only for 2 years, and he fought on the front lines for over a year. During his time received three Purple Hearts at different times from wounds sustained from mortar, a grenade and eventually a bullet that was fired through another soldier's head into his torso. Still has fragments of it inside him to this date.

He's definitely lucky to be alive, and I am lucky to be here today. For that and many other reasons, I am always grateful to our current and former members of the military.

I have a similar story because I was drafted out of graduate school (Kent State). I also could have gone into officer training but the only two MOS available were infantry and artillery(forward observer) and didn't want the extra year of service. I became an 11C (mortar) but never fired a mortar in nam. I was a regular grunt 11B. I could have gone to sniper training in a school in nam but it would have once again required an additional year of service. I received one purple heart for an eye injury as a result of a rocket attack and two Bronze Stars, one for valor.

The Hawk- Were you at Kent State at the time the National Guard rioted? Did you do your undergrad there? Did you play baseball there?

No. I went into grad school in 1967(fall semester) and got drafted while in grad school after the winter semester of 1968. I went into the service in Jan 1969 and got an early out to register for fall semester of 1970. I was in Nam when the Kent State riots occurred. May of 1970. I was a grad assistant for the baseball team while at Kent State but didn't pay baseball there. They had Thurmon Munson and Steve Stone when I was in grad school there and played flag football against Munson who was an awesome athlete and tough as hell. HE ran me over a couple of times while blocking for his ATO fraternity against my grad school team and loved doing it. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Holy cow, that's awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:05 am 

tommy wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
SuperMario wrote:

Thanks. It was fun despite all of the tragedy at the time all around me. In high school, my catcher was a player (Conroy) who in college was the equal of Thurman Munson. He went to Northern Illinois and those two guys were two of the best catchers in the NCAA at the time. Conroy, though, had a bad knee and never made it in the pros but to watch those two guys hit and catch was fun to watch when they played against each other. I guess it was maybe the college equivalent of what Munson and Fisk did in the pros. Good times. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:22 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The Hawk wrote:
tommy wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
SuperMario wrote:

Thanks. It was fun despite all of the tragedy at the time all around me. In high school, my catcher was a player (Conroy) who in college was the equal of Thurman Munson. He went to Northern Illinois and those two guys were two of the best catchers in the NCAA at the time. Conroy, though, had a bad knee and never made it in the pros but to watch those two guys hit and catch was fun to watch when they played against each other. I guess it was maybe the college equivalent of what Munson and Fisk did in the pros. Good times. :D :D :D

A guy I know, Bob Mueller (really) was also a catcher for Northern Illinois at that time. He told me that during a doubleheader with Kent State Munson picked seven guys off of first.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:06 pm 

Joe Orr, ask your friend if he remembers Pat Conroy. Pat was at Northern Illinois from 1967-69 I believe. He was their best power hitter and also played first base when he wasn't catching.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The Hawk- Did you ever party with Devo?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:42 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Hawk- Did you ever party with Devo?

????

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5