It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
FavreFan wrote:
Happy Veteran's Day to my fellow vets Godfella, pittmike, and ToxicMasculinity. Not sure if I missed any others.

Ditto, FF.

:salut:

(Even though it is a left handed salute) :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Happy Veteran's Day to my fellow vets Godfella, pittmike, and ToxicMasculinity. Not sure if I missed any others.

I'm pretty sure Hussra was in the military.

Serious question: Does the term "veteran" refer to anyone who served or does it specifically denote someone who served in a war zone?

Anyone who served. Serving in a war zone is a combat vet.

Thank you.

Anyway, I guess in modern times just about anywhere might be considered a war zone.

Not according the the current admin,remember the people at Ft Hood who got shot where initially denied Purple Hearts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hatchetman wrote:
I want my son to join the Navy so he won't get killed.

My dad graduated high school in 1942. The U.S. had just gotten into WWII and everyone his age was going to have to serve. They offered a test at Lane Tech and if you scored high enough you became an officer candidate. Only three guys, one of whom was my father, scored high enough for the officer program. The other two guys chose the Navy. My old man couldn't swim so he chose the Army. He went to the local recruiting/draft office with his test results and the sergeant there looked at him like he was crazy and said, "I don't know anything about that, kid. You're in the Army." He got sent down to Camp Wolters in Texas for basic training and ended up in Europe with the 103d Division fighting the Battle of the Bulge. He had to start out as a buck private. But he made it through the war and sailed back home on the Queen Elizabeth. The other two guys were commissioned as ensigns. One of them drowned during boot camp at Great Lakes. The other died of a stomach ailment stateside during the war.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

My dad graduated high school in 1942. The U.S. had just gotten into WWII and everyone his age was going to have to serve. They offered a test at Lane Tech and if you scored high enough you became an officer candidate. Only three guys, one of whom was my father, scored high enough for the officer program. The other two guys chose the Navy. My old man couldn't swim so he chose the Army. He went to the local recruiting/draft office with his test results and the sergeant there looked at him like he was crazy and said, "I don't know anything about that, kid. You're in the Army." He got sent down to Camp Wolters in Texas for basic training and ended up in Europe with the 103d Division fighting the Battle of the Bulge. He had to start out as a buck private. But he made it through the war and sailed back home on the Queen Elizabeth. The other two guys were commissioned as ensigns. One of them drowned during boot camp at Great Lakes. The other died of a stomach ailment stateside during the war.

Fuckin' pussy squids

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:20 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

My dad graduated high school in 1942. The U.S. had just gotten into WWII and everyone his age was going to have to serve. They offered a test at Lane Tech and if you scored high enough you became an officer candidate. Only three guys, one of whom was my father, scored high enough for the officer program. The other two guys chose the Navy. My old man couldn't swim so he chose the Army. He went to the local recruiting/draft office with his test results and the sergeant there looked at him like he was crazy and said, "I don't know anything about that, kid. You're in the Army."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Your old man might rest easy knowing the Army probably hasn't changed much in the 70 years since.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
FavreFan wrote:

Thanks man. Happy veterans day to you and everyone else. Going to spend an afternoon visiting a Korean War vet at a home. I'll send him your thanks and a pillow from the Kap Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
funny story JORR.

my grandfather was in WWII Operation Torch in North Africa. nearly eveyone in the platoon was killed but him.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Godfella wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Ditto, FF.

Thanks to all of you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
funny story JORR.

my grandfather was in WWII Operation Torch in North Africa. nearly eveyone in the platoon was killed but him.

My grandmother kept a scrapbook from the war that had all kinds of articles about where my dad's division was, what they did during Alsace-Ardennes, etc. It was interesting because my father never spoke very much about his wartime experiences. I know it's in my house somewhere, but of course my wife "put it away" and now I can't find the thing. One of the funny things in there was a multiple page postcard, like a little booklet, that they must have sold in the commissary at Camp Wolters for the recruits to send back home. It looked like something that you would send from a beach vacation in Miami. The front said "GREETINGS FROM CAMP WOLTERS!" :lol: I'm sure the guy who created it had to restrain himself from using "BEAUTIFUL" as a modifier.

I used to have a cassette by this singer-songwriter named Lonesome Val who had a song about her dad called "Quiet Desperation". I think it describes a lot of guys from that era. My dad definitely crossed the Danube too. But I'm pretty sure he didn't swim. :lol:

http://tidido.com/a35184374245863/al55f ... 7573751302

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:53 pm 

My grandfather I think had some PTSD issues but he handled them pretty well all things considered. He drove a delivery truck for 40 years...also dealt with a severely disabled son....he never was the "woe is me" type. Always tried to play the jokester. He loved America for sure and would have no patience for anyone running down his country.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
My grandfather I think had some PTSD issues but he handled them pretty well all things considered. He drove a delivery truck for 40 years...also dealt with a severely disabled son....he never was the "woe is me" type. Always tried to play the jokester. He loved America for sure and would have no patience for anyone running down his country.

I think the history of what we now call PTSD is interesting. After the Civil War they called it "Soldier's Heart". Post WWI it was "shell-shock". In WWII they called it "battle fatigue".

The most powerful scene in Tom Cruise's career is when he is riding in the parade in Born on The Fourth of July and he keeps flinching every time a firecracker blows.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Seacrest wrote:
Godfella wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Ditto, FF.

Thanks to all of you.

This.

Not to be a beta male but I had a hard time saying thank you to the many vets who went by us today without my voice cracking. The older I get, the more I look at these guys with respect and amazement.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:26 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Not to be a beta male but I had a hard time saying thank you to the many vets who went by us today without my voice cracking. The older I get, the more I look at these guys with respect and amazement.

I totally get that. wish we ease some of their burdens somehow. Fixing the VA might be a good start...you would think!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Didn't get today off.

Thanks for nothing, vets.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:32 pm 

random veteran:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcario_Garc%C3%ADa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:35 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/r ... 01/?no-ist

One of the baddest motherfuckers in the history of this planet.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Thank you all for your service. I won't make any sarcastic comments. You're welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:41 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

My dad graduated high school in 1942. The U.S. had just gotten into WWII and everyone his age was going to have to serve. They offered a test at Lane Tech and if you scored high enough you became an officer candidate. Only three guys, one of whom was my father, scored high enough for the officer program. The other two guys chose the Navy. My old man couldn't swim so he chose the Army.

My uncle was given the old friendly choice in 1969 at 26th & California: military or Statesville. Once he discovered he could get into the Navy, he jumped at it. No ground duty in Vietnam reliving his dad's WW2 stories w/Patton or worse.

He worked it into undergrad, med school and retirement after his most recent stretch among the wealthy in Bahrain.

I just had to read my youngest son the riot act, and asked him if he thought this a good option under President Trump. He's been doing homework and housework pretty much ever since. :lol: :x :lol:

Oddly and as an aside, today is the first time I've ever heard my own dad talk about getting the Vets Day discounts/freebies.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

My dad graduated high school in 1942. The U.S. had just gotten into WWII and everyone his age was going to have to serve. They offered a test at Lane Tech and if you scored high enough you became an officer candidate. Only three guys, one of whom was my father, scored high enough for the officer program. The other two guys chose the Navy. My old man couldn't swim so he chose the Army.

My uncle was given the old friendly choice in 1969 at 26th & California: military or Statesville. Once he discovered he could get into the Navy, he jumped at it. No ground duty in Vietnam reliving his dad's WW2 stories w/Patton or worse.

He worked it into undergrad, med school and retirement after his most recent stretch among the wealthy in Bahrain.

I just had to read my youngest son the riot act, and asked him if he thought this a good option under President Trump. He's been doing homework and housework pretty much ever since. :lol: :x :lol:

Oddly and as an aside, today is the first time I've ever heard my own dad talk about getting the Vets Day discounts/freebies.

You know, I think a lot of this hysteria over Trump radically changing our way of life is just that- hysteria, but I definitely think there's serious legitimate concern for a teenage boy with this loon in office.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:57 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

You know, I think a lot of this hysteria over Trump radically changing our way of life is just that- hysteria, but I definitely think there's serious legitimate concern for a teenage boy with this loon in office.

And his parents, ugh.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hatchetman wrote:

Wow. Its like something out of a video game.

FavreFan's post too. Like the guy was playing with infinite health.

Crazy shit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

I totally get that. wish we ease some of their burdens somehow. Fixing the VA might be a good start...you would think!!

Check out @nihilist_arbys's Tweet: https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys/stat ... 56192?s=09

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: ....
Hatchetman wrote:
thanks to all the vets out there. I wish I had joined up but was too big a pussy in high school.

When I first got down to U of I, I was at the Armory in late August of my freshman year trying to complete my Class Registration whence I came upon the ROTC booth.

Growing up, I had always felt that we each had a duty to serve, but the obligation was forgotten amidst college prep, etc. I already did plenty of PT, as I worked out like crazy and followed a disciplined diet, and was ready to join and do my part.

I phoned my Dad, and told him about my plan to sign up with the ROTC, and my normally mild-mannered Dad completely dressed me down over the phone, saying that if I did that, it would be one of the stupidest decisions he has ever heard. He reminded me that he was drafted during Vietnam, and how many people he knew that didn't make it back. He told me that HE endured that bullshit so that I didn't have to, and that he would be totally insulted if I wasted my years as an honor student and failed to focus on my education at one of the top universities in the world, a privilege he never got to enjoy.

. . . I never thought about it again until now.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:35 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

nice!

I told my mother I spoke with the Army ROTC recruiter at high school to get out of study hall. She also wigged out, essentially saying those guys are the worst type of liars there are. This was before the Clintons appeared on stage of course....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:06 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

There is a lot of good stuff on there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:09 pm 

If this video doesn't make you well-up, I got news for you - you have no soul:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... oABty_zE00

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:15 pm 

yeah, nothing like a manipulative commercial for a grocery store to moisten the eyes.

that's the fairsley difference!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:27 pm 

W_Z wrote:
yeah, nothing like a manipulative commercial for a grocery store to moisten the eyes.

Shit, Z-Bra, it got me thinking about canned goods and frozen hash brown patties, so I guess it worked!

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:29 pm 

Panther pislA wrote:
If this video doesn't make you well-up, I got news for you - you have no soul:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... oABty_zE00

or a liberal! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
W_Z wrote:

We always have apples.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next