It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hopleaf!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Quote:
Sure, Hopleaf Is Great, but Won’t Somebody Please Think of the Children?

The problem with writing a rebuttal to Aleksandar Hemon’s ode to the Hopleaf is this: I kind of agree with him.

The Hopleaf’s food is better than average, and it goes without saying that their beer selection, and the bartenders’ extensive knowledge of it, is both refreshing and impressive. Their space is also cozy and unpretentious. But for me, that’s where the compliments end.

My wife and I used to live on the West Coast and, for many years, whenever we’d fly back to Chicago to visit family and friends the Hopleaf was our go-to spot for dinner and drinks. But those visits stopped when I learned of their strict “no kids” policy. In an effort to be 100-percent transparent, yes, I am the father of a one-year-old daughter. However, my opinion of the Hopleaf changed before she was born.

To be fair, there are restrictions I believe a restaurant has a right to enforce. No guns allowed? Of course guns aren’t allowed. No shirt, no shoes, no service? Absolutely. I don’t want to see my waiter’s manboobs any more than I want to see my own manboobs, so we’re definitely on the same page there. No pets, including leashed ferrets? Totally understand.

But no kids? Like, no one under 21 at all, ever? For a restaurant that serves food? Why? I could understand the policy if the Hopleaf also had t0pless waitstaff (though that would be breaking the “no shirt” policy I support), or if they had televisions that featured an endless loop of Nic Cage movies (because no child should ever be subjected to that… though I have a love-hate relationship with the guy). But the Hopleaf is no more inherently kid-unfriendly than any other restaurant with a beer list.

What they’re really saying is, “We don’t trust our customers to parent their children while they’re here.” And what’s crazy is, if their ban were against any other category of human being—be it a certain race or religion or sexual orientation or, for that matter, old people—everyone would be up in arms over it. But because it’s against kids, adults just shrug it off and say, “Well, yeah. Kids are annoying.” And sometimes, yeah, they are. But I’m pretty sure the ratio of annoying kids is equal to the ratio of annoying adults, and I know the Hopleaf isn’t about to put a “No Annoying Adults” sign up in their window.

And so now that we live here, even though it’s a quality spot and just ten minutes away from our home, my wife and I have decided that, even on childless “date nights,” the Hopleaf will no longer be getting our business. Unless, of course, they start playing that endless Nic Cage movie marathon. I’m more than willing to get a sitter for our daughter for that.

Find a babysitter. Dick.

Post subject: Re: Hopleaf!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:31 am 

That is kind of strange for a restaurant but they can do what they want. I don't blame any parent for avoiding it though even without the kids.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:33 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
A number of craft beer people seem to think it's a swell idea to bring their kids everywhere. I've seen people wait in the cold for hours at a time with two strollers because they had to get the hot new release from a hyped brewery.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:34 am 

It is not a restaurant. The author paints it as such because the establishment serves food.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:39 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
It is not a restaurant. The author paints it as such because the establishment serves food.
They brag about their kitchen on their website and have a full lunch and dinner menu.

This isn't a bar reheating cheese sticks and throwing together a burger so you can drink without being on an empty stomach.

As I said though, it is the right of them to make it 21 and over and it is the right of the parents to say no thanks to it even when they don't have the kids with them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:45 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
They brag about their kitchen on their website and have a full lunch and dinner menu.

This isn't a bar reheating cheese sticks and throwing together a burger so you can drink without being on an empty stomach.

As I said though, it is the right of them to make it 21 and over and it is the right of the parents to say no thanks to it even when they don't have the kids with them.

MANY have been there. It's a bar.

The article shows MANY young parents today are unwilling to change their lifestyles once they have children. They feel entitled to tote their young children anywhere.

Though, BRick, you seem like one of the good ones.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:46 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
+1

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:48 am 

Maybe they shouldn't have had a child if they wanted to still have a bar nightlife.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:50 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

MANY have been there. It's a bar.

The article shows MANY young parents today are unwilling to change their lifestyles once they have children. They feel entitled to tote their young children anywhere.

Though, BRick, you seem like one of the good ones.
We've taken him to a few breweries and restaurants/bars for lunch. I figure no one is going to care about that.One of them even has a kids play area with toys but he is still a little young for that.

Taking a kid to a dinner in a loud bar sounds like a horrible experience for everyone including us.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Kirkwood wrote:

Eh, i'm not so sure...i mean yea of course there's a bar area but there's also a pretty significant area for tables......like what a restaurant would have....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:03 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
We used to take our kids to smaller quiet romantic places.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:11 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Maybe they shouldn't have had a child if they wanted to still have a bar nightlife.
I don't speak for all parents but I assume that the idea is more "Go in at 5pm, have a drink or two and some food, and get home by 7pm". We haven't done that yet but probably will at some point. Most of these places though are basically restaurants though and we can be gone before the Kirkwoods and JORRs of the world show up to get obliterated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:12 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
I don't speak for all parents but I assume that the idea is more "Go in at 5pm, have a drink or two and some food, and get home by 7pm". We haven't done that yet but probably will at some point. Most of these places though are basically restaurants though and we can be gone before the Kirkwoods and JORRs of the world show up to get obliterated.

What time do the parents start changing diapers on the table?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:12 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

What time do the parents start changing diapers on the table?

5:01.

Then I "accidently" drop it on the asshole at the bar.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Douchebag wrote:

80's TV's Hunter wrote:
WORKS FOR ME!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:34 am 

What kind of disphit craves Hopleaf as the place they must go when they return to Chicago?

I find that if you bring a kid with you at 1:30 am the bartenders will let you stay a little longer before closing up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:11 am 

it's getting to be that breweries/gaspub restaurants are the trendy options for young families to go out. that's what i'm finding at least. there's a pub down the street that has a beer garden in the back--between lunch and 7 pm on weekends, it is almost entirely made up of families in the summer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:15 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
That is kind of strange for a restaurant but they can do what they want. I don't blame any parent for avoiding it though even without the kids.

It's not a restaurant. It's a craft beer bar that happens to serve food. If you've ever been there, you'd know having children in there would be ridiculous. Take your fuckin' kids over to Simon's. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:16 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I'm fine with places that don't want your kids there.
Was at shoeless joes a couple days ago... evening time, after the dinner hour. Some kids were running game and playing tag in their foyer as I was walking out to the truck for a second. I see three kids go zooming past the door so I wait a second... Two more come screaming past, then I open the door (outward swing) to walk out. Another rodent kid comes running right past the door and he runs square into the door frame, starts screaming and crying. Mom and dad are in the foyer vaping and watching these animals running around and start yelling at me to watch where I'm going and what the fuck is wrong with me. I say why don't you watch your own damn kids and make them behave... dad gives me an eye roll and mom yelled fuck you at me in front of her kids. Nice.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:28 am 
Site Admin

Darkside wrote:
Was at shoeless joes a couple days ago... evening time, after the dinner hour. Some kids were running game and playing tag in their foyer as I was walking out to the truck for a second. I see three kids go zooming past the door so I wait a second... Two more come screaming past, then I open the door (outward swing) to walk out. Another rodent kid comes running right past the door and he runs square into the door frame, starts screaming and crying. Mom and dad are in the foyer vaping and watching these animals running around and start yelling at me to watch where I'm going and what the fuck is wrong with me. I say why don't you watch your own damn kids and make them behave... dad gives me an eye roll and mom yelled fuck you at me in front of her kids. Nice.

Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but awhile back my wife and I were in the Buffalo Wild Wings on Willow Road. Now, I expect there to be kids in a BWW and I'm not going to get crazy over a baby whining or something while I eat my garlic wings. It goes with the territory. But this particular time, there was a horde of grade school age kids running wild in the dining room. In the far corner was a table of people enjoying themselves who were obviously the parents of these little assholes. The kids were actually running circles around our table while the parent were way on the other side of the room. My wife went over and told them to control their kids. One of the guys said, "Those aren't our kids." My wife laughed and said, "I'm not surprised you refuse to claim them."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
My wife went over and told them to control their kids. One of the guys said, "Those aren't our kids." My wife laughed and said, "I'm not surprised you refuse to claim them."

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:33 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It's not a restaurant. It's a craft beer bar that happens to serve food. If you've ever been there, you'd know having children in there would be ridiculous. Take your fuckin' kids over to Simon's. :lol:

Most bars don't brag about how great the food is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:37 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Some do. This is one of them.

Trust me, it would be a weird place to bring kids. If the place existed in Naperville or Lincoln Square it would probably seem more normal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:39 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but awhile back my wife and I were in the Buffalo Wild Wings on Willow Road. Now, I expect there to be kids in a BWW and I'm not going to get crazy over a baby whining or something while I eat my garlic wings. It goes with the territory. But this particular time, there was a horde of grade school age kids running wild in the dining room. In the far corner was a table of people enjoying themselves who were obviously the parents of these little assholes. The kids were actually running circles around our table while the parent were way on the other side of the room. My wife went over and told them to control their kids. One of the guys said, "Those aren't our kids." My wife laughed and said, "I'm not surprised you refuse to claim them."

As a parent, I always thought it telling how people would come up to me and comment on how well behaved my kids were in restaurants. Just like savages having loud cell phone calls, many parents are completely selfish and uncaring about the people around them in public places

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Furious Styles wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
My wife went over and told them to control their kids. One of the guys said, "Those aren't our kids." My wife laughed and said, "I'm not surprised you refuse to claim them."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Darkside wrote:

i coulda told you that kids are fucked from my stint as being the computer guy @ the library from 97-04. most recently, i had to get home on a weekday rush hour @ the belmont L stop and as i was waiting for the purple line express i found it odd that the thing didn't show up on its "Every 15 mins" schedule like normal. instead, apx 25-30mins after waiting up there (and realizing i should have taken the first red line i saw) santa's fucking epxress pulls up and i'm like "good god you have to be shitting me" and i just kind of groaned as i realized what my future was about to entail.

i get on the thing and i'm standing by one of the doors holding the pole, but ofc since this is santa's express it's getting "Sympathy for the sardine" levels of crowded with parents and especially kids. i'm holding on to the pole right by a set of doors and i've got a mother and two little girls next to me, and as the train gets going the youngest one is all sitting down on the floor (??) and the older one? well randomly for no reason that i could discern she takes a shot at my nuts and lands her closed fist within a couple'a inches of the "family jewels" (no relation to the fine fine rap group with chicago's own rusty chains and matlock) -- when i matter-of-factly retorted "don't touch me" to the little girl the mom looked at me like i was the piece of shit here.

pfft... you can see the look in their eyes that these kids KNOW they dun goof'd

George Carlin wrote:
FUCK THE CHILDREN!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:40 am 

This past weekend we had a group of people watching college buckets at a dumpy Irish Pub. The place was empty except for us. Then once the Philly's Women's March ended 3 separate young families walk in. 2 of them had children that were quiet and well behaved. The 3rd ruined the atmosphere as the little shitrat shrieked when it got fussy and pissy.

Not really sure what's the right call. We left because of the shitrat. But 3 families bought food and beer. It makes financial sense to welcome families.

I remember whenever we'd go to Northern Wisconsin near the UP we'd go to the tavern with my dad his buddies. My dad would give my brother and I $20 bucks in singles and told us to go play on the video poker machine. That's Wisconsin for ya.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:45 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Some do. This is one of them.

Trust me, it would be a weird place to bring kids. If the place existed in Naperville or Lincoln Square it would probably seem more normal.

Most bars like that are trying to have it both ways though. I've never been to this one but they almost always seem to have a majority of people eating food. It may be filled with drinkers at 10pm but it goes hard after the restaurant crowd.

If they can make more money by barring parents with kids then good for them. I'm just not shocked that a parent wouldn't be interested in going even without the kids.