It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Marine Le Pen!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:21 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/21/europe/ma ... index.html

Fascism gets its stopped-clock moment. Fuck Islam and fuck the non-Muslim hijab-loving useful idiots.

Quote:
Beirut (CNN)France's Marine Le Pen canceled a meeting with Lebanon's Grand Mufti Tuesday after refusing to wear a headscarf.

The far-right presidential candidate is on a two-day tour of Lebanon where she is courting Franco-Lebanese votes ahead of the first round of French elections on April 23.

Le Pen told reporters that she was surprised by the requirement. But a spokesman for the Grand Mufti said Le Pen had been informed of the need to wear a head covering before the meeting.

Le Pen said she had met the Grand Mufti of Al-Azhar during a visit to Egypt in 2015 without covering her head.

"I met the grand mufti of Al-Azhar," she told reporters. "The highest Sunni authority didn't have this requirement, but it doesn't matter."

"You can pass on my respects to the grand mufti, but I will not cover myself up," she insisted.

"I will not cover myself up," she insisted.
Let's see the libs sell a t-shirt with that.

Post subject: Re: Marine La Pen!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock

It is quite a quandary for politicians- Should you be open minded and dress according to custom or do you send a message that Islam's customs do not conform to western norms on gender equality?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:28 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Should you be open minded and dress according to custom or do you send a message that Islam's customs do not conform to western norms on gender equality?

That's like asking whether my lunch should be a peanut butter sandwich or a hunk of lead. Subjugation of women precludes open-mindedness.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:30 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Should you be open minded and dress according to custom or do you send a message that Islam's customs do not conform to western norms on gender equality?

That's like asking whether my lunch should be a peanut butter sandwich or a hunk of lead. Subjugation of women precludes open-mindedness.

You can take that up with DiCaro- both the peanut butter sandwich and the hijab.

Post subject: Re: Marine Le Pen!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Has she stated any other policy measures during her campaign other than everything will be OK once brown people are kicked out of France?

Worked for Brexit and Trump so probably best to KISS, right?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:42 pm 

She's in that weird right wing populist mold, which is no where near traditional right of center politics. It is a complete anti-globalization platform that talks about protecting workers and jobs by blocking out the forces that cause trade imbalances and immigration.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Kirkwood wrote:
Worked for Brexit and Trump so probably best to KISS, right?

Shout it out loud, Kirkwood !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:49 pm 

denisdman wrote:
She's in that weird right wing populist mold, which is no where near traditional right of center politics. It is a complete anti-globalization platform that talks about protecting workers and jobs by blocking out the forces that cause trade imbalances and immigration.

Aha. My Economist has been MIA for a two months now so I'm out of the loop. I pretty much rely on it exclusively as my source of European politics/economic journalism.

Good to hear another experiment will be underway of Make Insert Country Great Again once we kick out poor colored people.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:52 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Aha. My Economist has been MIA for a two months now so I'm out of the loop. I pretty much rely on it exclusively as my source of European politics/economic journalism.

Good to hear another experiment will be underway of Make Insert Country Great Again once we kick out poor colored people.

Funny. I finally let my subscription lapse in December. It was just getting tiring in the current political environment. I needed a break from 15+ hours of global political commentary per week. I used to listen to the podcast version mostly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I've made no bones about my belief regarding the way the world would be if it were controlled by an Islamic majority, but I think it's a little trickier than your statement above. If democratic Western nations are going to draw a line in the sand regarding their interactions with other nations based upon their human rights records we should be cutting ourselves off from China immediately.

My disdain for the hijab is as great as yours, but there is something to be said for "when in Rome..." I think we can separate honoring such a custom for the sake of engagement with another nation- as unpalatable as it may be- from cheering such custom on as something positive or God forbid, "empowerment".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Kirkwood wrote:
denisdman wrote:

You don't read, you fuckin' liar.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:58 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
denisdman wrote:

You don't read, you fuckin' liar.

True, I binge watch cable news. Qualifies me to be POTUS :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I've made no bones about my belief regarding the way the world would be if it were controlled by an Islamic majority, but I think it's a little trickier than your statement above. If democratic Western nations are going to draw a line in the sand regarding their interactions with other nations based upon their human rights records we should be cutting ourselves off from China immediately.

My disdain for the hijab is as great as yours, but there is something to be said for "when in Rome..." I think we can separate honoring such a custom for the sake of engagement with another nation- as unpalatable as it may be- from cheering such custom on as something positive or God forbid, "empowerment".

The issue with this is Muslims force themselves into France under the guise of refugees. Then once in France they ghettoize themselves and try to change French customs, and when they dont get their way go full radical and unleash an intifada in metropolitan France with pretty staggering loss of life.

If Muslim visitors to France want to behave the way they do then French visitors to the Muslim world can as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:52 pm 

Also Le Pen probably did this on purpose knowing the mufti had this policy about women well in advance. She's crafty like that.

Most Liban-Francais are Maronite Christians anyways and have been living in metropolitan France for a few generations. In Provence or Languedoc you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them and Occitanie/Narbonne French who have been living there for thousands of years. And if you could it would definitely not be by accent or customs. So common sense would say she is sacrificing those voters to win points with her base and perhaps grab a few headlines, but Maronite Christians are about as fed up with Islam and its craziness as any group in the world and this move was probably the entire purpose of the trip to court those voters.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

America wrote:
The issue with this is Muslims force themselves into France under the guise of refugees.

I've noticed very recently that the words "immigrant" and "refugee" slowly seem to be becoming interchangeable or synonymous. Strictly speaking, the term "refugee" has denoted someone who was escaping persecution of some sort rather than simply a person looking for better economic opportunities. There is definitely a prevailing philosophy on the Left that a person should have the right to emigrate at will, especially to the United States, as if the Statue of Liberty were an open invitation for everyone in the world to come into the country without question and that disagreeing with such policy makes one a xenophobe or a bigot.

America wrote:
Also Le Pen probably did this on purpose knowing the mufti had this policy about women well in advance.

There's no doubt about it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
America wrote:
The issue with this is Muslims force themselves into France under the guise of refugees.

I've noticed very recently that the words "immigrant" and "refugee" slowly seem to be becoming interchangeable or synonymous. Strictly speaking, the term "refugee" has denoted someone who was escaping persecution of some sort rather than simply a person looking for better economic opportunities. There is definitely a prevailing philosophy on the Left that a person should have the right to emigrate at will, especially to the United States, as if the Statue of Liberty were an open invitation for everyone in the world to come into the country without question and that disagreeing with such policy makes one a xenophobe or a bigot.

America wrote:
Also Le Pen probably did this on purpose knowing the mufti had this policy about women well in advance.

A person SHOULD have the right to emigrate at will, and that is far from a left of center position.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:51 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
America wrote:

America wrote:

The problem with Europe is that their political correctness is essentially allowing the Muslims to commit crime in their society and then their society calls those who speak up against it "racist."

There is a lot of fake news with the refugees/immigrants. For example the Statue of Liberty was completely unrelated to immigrants when it was given to the United States. The poem, which is associated with immigrants, was added later.

The problem with the Left in America is that they are buddies with the Muslims, but they never really grill Muslims over their support of Sharia Law. Sharia Law and the United State Constitution are completely incompatible.

The problem with the Muslims coming to America is that they are basically like secret agents and nobody knows who the bad guys are till they show up shooting people. Ultimately, many of them secretly want America to enact Sharia Law.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:59 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

But of course we wouldn't make their women uncover on our home turf. They get to have it both ways while we have to be on their terms.

But yes, to call something created for men to control women "empowering" is first-order Stockholm syndrome. I saw some Catholic on facebook post "if we can wear veils to Mass, they can wear the hijab!", but, and again, not Catholic here, have Catholic women worn veils to Mass in the last fifty years?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:19 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I agree that women shouldn't be forced to wear any type of head covering to visit an Islamic country, including and especially powerful politicians, and it's a good thing they are publicly attacking the backwards practice.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:02 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
A person SHOULD have the right to emigrate at will, and that is far from a left of center position.

That makes for a nice sign at a rally, but it's really not sensible public policy. You're talking about a world without borders. That's a grand Utopian vision. It's a nice idea in the abstract.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:06 am 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

But of course we wouldn't make their women uncover on our home turf. They get to have it both ways while we have to be on their terms.

But yes, to call something created for men to control women "empowering" is first-order Stockholm syndrome. I saw some Catholic on facebook post "if we can wear veils to Mass, they can wear the hijab!", but, and again, not Catholic here, have Catholic women worn veils to Mass in the last fifty years?

I can't disagree with your points, but how far do we go? Do we simply disengage from these Islamic countries and others like China and Russia on principle? Is that even possible in the modern economy?

And it's been made worse by years of teaching children that all cultures are equal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:31 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I can't disagree with your points, but how far do we go? Do we simply disengage from these Islamic countries and others like China and Russia on principle? Is that even possible in the modern economy?

What do we get from the middle east that we aren't now getting from North Dakota? I suppose to Suez needs to be kept open but other than that there isn't much. North Africa has a bit more value and we have a lot of textiles manufacturing in Indonesia (that is under imminent threat for the next four years) but the Muslim world at-large, especially considering its immense population, doesn't do a whole lot other than procure oil and buy weapons. Their #2 export is literally radical Islam.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:37 am 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
have Catholic women worn veils to Mass in the last fifty years?

Not that I go to Mass often, but I went every week as a kid, and I don't believe I have ever seen anyone in a veil. Going back 45 years most women had even stopped wearing hats to church.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
This was simply a publicity stunt.

"When in Rome" should apply when visiting...especially if we're only talking about a scarf hat.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:52 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
have Catholic women worn veils to Mass in the last fifty years?

Not that I go to Mass often, but I went every week as a kid, and I don't believe I have ever seen anyone in a veil. Going back 45 years most women had even stopped wearing hats to church.

and even if they didn't, they wouldn't be publicly whipped for not wearing the veil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:53 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Married men give women their last name to control women as their property. A hijab is so far down on the list of things to complain about.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:00 am 

And this gets back to my original point- which approach is open minded?

1) The when in Rome argument- understanding and respecting different cultures,
or
2) Applying Western values of equality- not following the practices in other countries because we view them as submissive.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:00 am 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
A hijab is so far down on the list of things to complain about.

I suppose that's true if you're not the one being forced to wear it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:03 am 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
And this gets back to my original point- which approach is open minded?

1) The when in Rome argument- understanding and respecting different cultures,
or
2) Applying Western values of equality- not following the practices in other countries because we view them as submissive.

Curious Hair made the good point that "when in Rome" is a one-way street in this instance.

We have people in this country finding white supremacy in household products yet many are seemingly blind to the clear religious and male supremacy that are cornerstones of Islam.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:10 am 

Ok, then should we stop dealing with Japan? They have very strong culture norms against women? Should the Scandinavian countries stop dealing with us? I know at least one of them has rules that require 40% of board seats go to women. I believe Brazil has a rule that requires political parties to run a certain number of women.

Once you go down this road where our norms are right and everyone else is wrong, you quickly end up boxing out the outside world.

Imagine if those countries said, well you allow abortion and drink alcohol, so we won't talk to you.

And go ahead and say we don't care about the Middle East. We don't need them, America style. I bet you'll care when pirates start raiding commercial ships in all those waterways or goods can't get through canals. The more you talk and engage with the Middle East and China (or whomever), the more likely you are to move them closer to our values rather than using the my way or highway approach.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next