It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Marine Le Pen!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:51 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
denisdman wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Actually, I was referring to Don saying that no person can know if there is or isn't a God.

Dead on. I thought Mere Christianity makes the best case for a higher power, and yet none of us will know during our lifetime.

The dreamer in me, hopes there is an eternal after life.

The logical person in me, says there is no downside to believing in a higher power.

The true me believes there has to be something to explain this all and that no person on earth can fully understand what that is. So I choose to have faith in the Christian tradition but with a skeptical eye to literal interpretations of ancient texts.

Of course there's a downside. Believing in this "higher power" that no one can really knows exists causes people to base their actions on what happens post-death rather than focusing on improving our very short time on earth.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
belief in a higher power makes me focus intently on improving my short time on earth.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:01 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Seacrest wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I think the Nazi thing is ridiculous to the point of not requiring a response.

Why though? Aren't they both belief systems? Why are you granting one such latitude?

Also, no one is being called a bigot for chasing Seacrest regarding Christian doctrine. Why do you think that is?

You just can't stop with the false equivalences.

Being a Nazi is centered around white supremacy. I think you will find close to 100% of Nazis who believe that. That is the core belief. The only thing close to 100% belief in Muslims is that Allah exists and Muhammad is his prophet. Its just a terrible analogy.

Nobody is attacking Seacrest for being a Christian. At times, people may criticize some of his particular beliefs or ideas, but we already agree it's fair to attack bad ideas, be it Muslim or Christian. Nobody is attacking Don Tiny for being a Christian. Why do you think that is?

Didn't leash get Don Tiny to deny the most basic tenet of Christianity here recently?

Not that I'm aware of ... why don't you enlighten us what that was.

leashyourkids wrote:
First, you state: there is only one God. You just did what Don Tiny (a devout Christian himself) said is nonsense. Say you believe there is only one God.

Perhaps you were misquoted.

leashyourkids wrote:
Actually, it looks like that was taken out of context. I was referring to Don saying that no person can know if there is or isn't a God.

To use a phrase from our board podcaster, it's a difference without a distinction.

"I believe in one God..." is the first phrase of a Creed used by many Christians and most definitely by Lutherans. It is a part of divine revelation. If you are a Christian, you can know it by accepting what Christ revealed.
Or not.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Killer V wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Now you may be referring to courts forcing businesses to serve situations they do not approve of like making a cake for a gay couple.

Would you support forcing a cakemaker to make a cake for a white supremist meeting? I don't think that you would in that case, honestly. It's the same principle. If the government can make people violate their religious beliefs, then there is no freedom of religion. Freedom is only an illusion that ends when the groupthink declares a religious person to be a bigot.

I would say that the difference in that scenario is that one group just wants to get it on with each other while the other wants to see an entire race eradicated from the Earth.

If you deny the first group, then you're the discriminator. If you deny the second, you're working against discrimination.

Well said. The idea that somebody who doesn't support discrimination is just as intolerant as bigots and racists, is utterly absurd. I'm not surprised that Mini Larieta believes that.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:18 am 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Actually, I was referring to Don saying that no person can know if there is or isn't a God.

Dead on. I thought Mere Christianity makes the best case for a higher power, and yet none of us will know during our lifetime.

The dreamer in me, hopes there is an eternal after life.

The logical person in me, says there is no downside to believing in a higher power.

The true me believes there has to be something to explain this all and that no person on earth can fully understand what that is. So I choose to have faith in the Christian tradition but with a skeptical eye to literal interpretations of ancient texts.

So you tend to believe and follow a tradition, brought to earth by the tradition's namesake, wherein he clearly stated and explained who God is?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Of course there's a downside. Believing in this "higher power" that no one can really knows exists causes people to base their actions on what happens post-death rather than focusing on improving our very short time on earth.

That's a pretty jaded view. The vast majority of stuff I hear in church would cause one to try to be a better person in this life. At least in Jesus' case, he provides a moral compass for his followers, although MANY of them seem to miss his message. I guess if you believe in nothing, then you may or may not have a moral compass to guide your interactions with other people. Who wants to end up with a ferret as a tool of intimidation?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:20 am 

Seacrest wrote:

So you tend to believe and follow a tradition, brought to earth by the tradition's namesake, wherein he clearly stated and explained who God is?

Whatever answer you want from me, that is my answer. And it can be your little secret.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:21 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Lutherans are good. If you think about it, Martin Luther was the original poster.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:26 am 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That's a pretty jaded view. The vast majority of stuff I hear in church would cause one to try to be a better person in this life.

That is certainly the case for some. I know for a fact that Seacrest does a lot to help people here during his time on earth. Still, the fact remains that having one eye- and often both eyes- on what happens in the afterlife is often a recipe for all kinds of bad shit that occurs on earth.

I've obviously expressed unabashedly pro-Israel views on many occasions, but the views of the religious right-wing settlers that land has been deeded to them by G_d is just egregious. The end of the world cannot come fast enough for these people.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:33 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That's a pretty jaded view. The vast majority of stuff I hear in church would cause one to try to be a better person in this life.

That is certainly the case for some. I know for a fact that Seacrest does a lot to help people here during his time on earth. Still, the fact remains that having one eye- and often both eyes- on what happens in the afterlife is often a recipe for all kinds of bad shit that occurs on earth.

I've obviously expressed unabashedly pro-Israel views on many occasions, but the views of the religious right-wing settlers that land has been deeded to them by G_d is just egregious. The end of the world cannot come fast enough for these people.

It comes from people misusing the message I hear in church. They like to use religion as a weapon like not serving gays. Didn't Jesus teach his flock to reach out to those who no one else wants to deal with.......

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:42 am 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Whatever answer you want from me, that is my answer. And it can be your little secret.

Whatever you want christianity to be is not what it actually is. And it is definitely not supposed to be kept a secret. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:45 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
belief in a higher power makes me focus intently on improving my short time on earth.

There is a philosophy known as "Pascal's wager" would make sense for every person to follow.

"Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas they stand to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (eternity in Hell)."

I think you have to ask whether you think there such a thing as a moral law and a moral lawgiver. Because if there is no God there is no such thing as good or evil. If there is no God there is no reason to condemn any action. You can lie, rape, steal and murder all you like and there isn't any consequence in the life to come. The irony is that if there is no heaven or life beyond death then things like murder and abortion are significantly worse than they first appear because a person is being deprived of their only chance at life.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:46 am 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
It comes from people misusing the message I hear in church.

Obviously, I have never been to your church. However, there is plenty of support for doing awful things based on the ancient doctrines of most religions. Justification can be found. That's the current issue with Islam. Too many Muslims are finding it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Because if there is no God there is no such thing as good or evil

sorry you need a fairy tale to tell you what's right and wrong

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I honestly don't care about an afterlife. If there is one fine. If so I doubt it is anything my mind could conceive of now, so I don't worry about that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:48 am 

Seacrest wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Whatever you want christianity to be is not what it actually is. And it is definitely not supposed to be kept a secret. :lol: :lol:

I seek photographers to take my picture; bakers to make me a cake; florists to send me flowers; and United Health to pay for my wife's medical bills.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:50 am 
Site Admin

Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

There is a philosophy known as "Pascal's wager" would make sense for every person to follow.

"Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas they stand to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (eternity in Hell)."

I think you have to ask whether you think there such a thing as a moral law and a moral lawgiver. Because if there is no God there is no such thing as good or evil. If there is no God there is no reason to condemn any action. You can lie, rape, steal and murder all you like and there isn't any consequence in the life to come. The irony is that if there is no heaven or life beyond death then things like murder and abortion are significantly worse than they first appear because a person is being deprived of their only chance at life.

There is no basis for such thought in Christian theology since good works don't get one into the Kingdom of Heaven. Nothing but an acceptance of Jesus Christ can do that.

Anyway, which God does Pascal suggest I act as if exists? I'm not sure if I should cut the head off an infidel or kill a goat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Anyway, which God does Pascal suggest I act as if exists? I'm not sure if I should cut the head off an infidel or kill a goat.

That reminds me of that essay making the rounds years ago about whether Hell is endothermic or exothermic. Part of it says:

Quote:
As for souls entering hell, lets look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and all souls go to hell.

Seems legit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

And any goof that took a philosophy class can easily argue against your conclusion on Pascal's Wager. The philosophy teacher at my Catholic College even argued against it. Your view that without god there is no good or evil is insulting and wrong. People like you are the exact reason we need to protect the separation of church and state.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:10 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
You shouldn't be able to deny normal cakes.

Who is the final arbiter of what is "normal"?

The baker! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

This has come full circle. There are bakers who don't think gay cakes are normal.

When I owned a bakery my partner decided she wanted to ban cakes with cocks on them. Believe it or not, cock cakes are pretty "normal" as horny broads apparently love them for bachelorette celebrations.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
"Jesus is alive... He's in my trunk!"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

This has come full circle. There are bakers who don't think gay cakes are normal.

When I owned a bakery my partner decided she wanted to ban cakes with cocks on them. Believe it or not, cock cakes are pretty "normal" as horny broads apparently love them for bachelorette celebrations.

JORR is the CFMB's own John Gotti. :wink: What haven't you owned a piece of?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:20 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
"Jesus is alive... He's in my trunk!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSzHvRVE5uM

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:21 pm 

Here is an example.

Imagine an Asian man walks into a burger place and orders moo shu beef. He will be told sorry we don't make that here and obviously that is fine.
Now imagine the same man walks into a burger place and orders a burger and he is told sorry we don't provide burgers to Asians. That is wrong.

Now replace Asian with gay, burger with cake, and moo shut beef with an inappropriate cake design.

If a baker will bake a cake that says congrats to a man and a woman they should do the same for a man and a man.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:22 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

As long as the cock cakes are banned for all people that is fine. You can have standards. They can't change based on sexual orientation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:23 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Here is an example.

Imagine an Asian man walks into a burger place and orders moo shu beef. He will be told sorry we don't make that here and obviously that is fine.
Now imagine the same man walks into a burger place and orders a burger and he is told sorry we don't provide burgers to Asians. That is wrong.

Now replace Asian with gay, burger with cake, and moo shut beef with an inappropriate cake design.

If a baker will bake a cake that says congrats to a man and a woman they should do the same for a man and a man.

And doing so is in no way a violation of anybody's religious freedom.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

JORR is the CFMB's own John Gotti. :wink: What haven't you owned a piece of?

:lol: I know I've told this ridiculous story more than once:

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=99579&p=2444178&hilit=genital+cakes#p2444178

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

As long as the cock cakes are banned for all people that is fine. You can have standards. They can't change based on sexual orientation.

What if two grooms are banned for all people?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:31 pm 

The primary question that anyone considering any faith should consider is whether that faith is true. In the case of Christianity if Jesus was in fact raised from the dead then that pretty much settles the issue of whether it is true.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next