It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jose Quintana!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:25 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It's not a straw man argument. Don't pretend that your implication isn't that those guys on List 2 got lucky with "run support". If that's the case how did Rogers make over 200 more starts and actually increase his winning percentage to .484? He must be luckier than Ryan Reynolds!

You seem to misunderstand, and I worded it poorly: The "cut-off" of 2000 was working backward from 2016. So that is Kenny Rogers from 2000-onward. Admittedly it was a different run environment around that time, but he was still decidedly average at best when accounting for league and park effects.

Oh, that's his last 257 starts? Okay. Again, you're not making your argument by trying to compare guys like Carrasco who pitched in some historically low scoring seasons vs. guys who threw in the heart of the steroid era. Chris Archer dreams about having as good a career as Kenny Rogers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:30 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It's not a straw man argument. Don't pretend that your implication isn't that those guys on List 2 got lucky with "run support". If that's the case how did Rogers make over 200 more starts and actually increase his winning percentage to .484? He must be luckier than Ryan Reynolds!

You seem to misunderstand, and I worded it poorly: The "cut-off" of 2000 was working backward from 2016. So that is Kenny Rogers from 2000-onward. Admittedly it was a different run environment around that time, but he was still decidedly average at best when accounting for league and park effects.

Oh, that's his last 257 starts? Okay. Again, you're not making your argument by trying to compare guys like Carrasco who pitched in some historically low scoring seasons vs. guys who threw in the heart of the steroid era. Chris Archer dreams about having as good a career as Kenny Rogers.

That's why I included ERA+, and would have included FIP- if Baseball Reference kept it as a stat (I guess I still could, but I'm lazy). ERA+ is designed to be comparable across multiple and disparate run environments. Kenny Rogers was about average in the juiced era, and "won" 57% of his games. Carlos Carrasco has been much better than average in the more modern run environment, but has a losing record. I'll take the guy outperforming the league in peripheral stats, given the undeniable relationship between run support and W/L%.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That's why I included ERA+, and would have included FIP- if Baseball Reference kept it as a stat (I guess I still could, but I'm lazy). ERA+ is designed to be comparable across multiple and disparate run environments. Kenny Rogers was about average in the juiced era, and "won" 57% of his games. Carlos Carrasco has been much better than average in the more modern run environment, but has a losing record. I'll take the guy outperforming the league in peripheral stats, given the undeniable relationship between run support and W/L%.

I don't think that's true. It may attempt that but it does a piss poor job. All ERA+ is really good for is comparing a guy to the average pitcher in his league over the time he pitched.

Regardless, I understand that current conventional wisdom is that a pitcher is simply a victim of his W/L record. I simply don't believe that to be the case. All those peripherals simply show the capabilities of a guy like Carlos Carrasco, his toolbox if you will. I don't dispute the talent of guys like Quintana or Carrasco. Javier Vazquez was obviously a more talented pitcher than Mark Buehrle. But Buehrle knew how to deploy the talent he had to maximize it.

There's more to pitching a baseball game than just throwing your nasty slider and overpowering fastball. Guys with nasty sliders and overpowering fastballs are likely to have positive peripherals. They're starting with a huge advantage over the Buehrles and Moyers of the world. But a pitcher has to be able to throw the ball where he wants to in a tight spot. Everybody misses sometimes. Even Lamar Hoyt and Greg Maddux.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:
$200 says that Quintana will finish the season (if healthy) multiple games over .500.

Eeeeee I don't know about that. If they wait until the market heats up at the deadline, that could be more than half of his season's starts made for what could in all likelihood be a historically bad offense.

This is true. It should be considered free money then for some lucky guy/gal.

I'll take the free money. Do we have a deal?

Edit: what's "healthy"? Can we say 25 starts is sufficient?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:02 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:
$200 says that Quintana will finish the season (if healthy) multiple games over .500.

Eeeeee I don't know about that. If they wait until the market heats up at the deadline, that could be more than half of his season's starts made for what could in all likelihood be a historically bad offense.

$200 that Quintana will be multiple game over .500 for the season? Of course we have a deal.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:12 pm 

Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:

$200 that Quintana will be multiple game over .500 for the season? Of course we have a deal.

Ok. Does the 25 start qualifier sound good?

You must be confident to be making this at 0-2. You're saying he's gonna go at least 4 games over .500 from here on out.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:13 pm 
100000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:

Ok. Does the 25 start qualifier sound good?

You must be confident to be making this at 0-2. You're saying he's gonna go at least 4 games over .500 from here on out.

25 starts is perfectly fine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

Of course I am confident. Now I'm invested in him beyond the annual arguments with JORR.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:16 pm 

Good deal.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:15 pm 

6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 2 BB's, 10 K's

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:23 pm 

He also did an outstanding job telling Avi to hit a home run and the bullpen to get the last 9 outs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:38 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
He also did an outstanding job telling Avi to hit a home run and the bullpen to get the last 9 outs.

Pitched the game that was in front of him. Also, he was taken out at 99 pitches. For a May game, with 10 K's, that's about par for the course.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

Pitched the game that was in front of him. .

That's right. What other game could he pitch. Pitchers pitch the games they're in. Not theoretical games where they get more "run support".

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:28 pm 

7 Innings of 3-hit ball so far tonight. 6 K's and 1 BB.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:57 pm 

Final line: 8 IP, 4H, 2BB, 7K

Got the run support, will get the win if the bullpen doesn't blow it.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:58 pm 

Final line: 8 IP, 4H, 2BB, 7K

Got the run support, will get the win if the bullpen doesn't blow it.

Amazing how good he pitches when he does not give up 5 runs in the first

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:00 pm 

Hopefully he finally realizes his potential and finishes the season 12-11

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:05 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That's right. What other game could he pitch. Pitchers pitch the games they're in. Not theoretical games where they get more "run support".

I know I've asked this before but who gives a shit. Has a guy who strikes out 12 over 8 innings with two earned runs pitched a worse game than his counterpart who pitched 4 innings with seven walks and one earned run?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

SpiralStairs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I know I've asked this before but who gives a shit. Has a guy who strikes out 12 over 8 innings with two earned runs pitched a worse game than his counterpart who pitched 4 innings with seven walks and one earned run?

Maybe the umpire working the plate in the game where the guy struck out 12 had a huge strikezone and the other plate umpire was squeezing the shit out of the pitchers. Performance does not exist outside the game in which it occurred.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:21 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Maybe the umpire working the plate in the game where the guy struck out 12 had a huge strikezone and the other plate umpire was squeezing the shit out of the pitchers. Performance does not exist outside the game in which it occurred.

In the scenario I was describing the pitchers were opposing one another in the same game.

Still your response implies that things outside a pitcher's control have a decisive impact on the game in which they pitch.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

SpiralStairs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

In the scenario I was describing the pitchers were opposing one another in the same game.

Still your response implies that things outside a pitcher's control have a decisive impact on the game in which they pitch.

Things outside every human being's control have a decisive impact on their lives. So what?

But if those guys were pitching in the same game then I'd say the guy who covered twice as many innings while allowing the same ERA pitched better. It's not complicated.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:36 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Things outside every human being's control have a decisive impact on their lives. So what?

But if those guys were pitching in the same game then I'd say the guy who covered twice as many innings while allowing the same ERA pitched better. It's not complicated.

But he lost.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:48 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Performance does not exist outside the game in which it occurred.

Gibberish.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
FavreFan wrote:
Hopefully he finally realizes his potential and finishes the season 12-11

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:34 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
NAS wrote:
Hopefully he finally realizes his potential and finishes the season 13-11

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:11 am 
Site Admin

Darkside wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Performance does not exist outside the game in which it occurred.

Gibberish.

What's actually gibberish is the crazy idea that a performance can somehow be transferred to a different game where a pitcher's team scores more runs. If I could move points around like that I'd make the Bears 15-1 every season.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:14 am 
Site Admin

SpiralStairs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

But he lost.

So? Sometimes you pitch well and lose. Sometimes you get lucky and win. That's why you need a large enough sample.

Just because you go 7 for 17 in the World Series it doesn't make you a great hitter either.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:25 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

But he lost.

So? Sometimes you pitch well and lose. Sometimes you get lucky and win. That's why you need a large enough sample.

Just because you go 7 for 17 in the World Series it doesn't make you a great hitter either.

I would say you showed up for a big game. I wouldn't say clutch unless you had some big RBIs or won games because of an RBI.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:25 am 

The 30 Years War was a pretty reasonable time frame to achieve peace, in retrospect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next