All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/bowle ... 27079.html

Pretty crazy video.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:05 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
My buddy Jerry who died was a really good bowler. When he was a kid his home alley was this little eight lane place called Tatovich's on the Northwest side. I don't remember exactly where it was. Maybe jimmypasta or Seacrest knows. Jerry always described this place as a "brick house", meaning it was a hard place to score. Back in the day the lanes weren't set up for scoring the way they are now and Tatovich's was unusually difficult. Anyway, after the place closed at night Jerry and his friends would play a game where you had to throw one ball on each lane in your stocking feet. I think Jerry had the record and it was 77 or 78.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:53 am 
1000 CLUB

Big Chicagoan wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/bowler-sets-record-slinging-perfect-300-game-less-90-seconds-151427079.html

Pretty crazy video.

That was pretty cool. That guy is awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I like this shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkb2PoJTgVc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I don't really know about bowling technique. Is that a normal throwing motion? It almost looked like he was rolling it like little kids do, both hands on the ball, no fingers in the holes. Obviously it works for him but just looked funky to me. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Hank Scorpio wrote:
I don't really know about bowling technique. Is that a normal throwing motion?

No. It's a fad technique that is gaining steam on the pro tour because they can get high rev rates to go along with the speed on the ball. What pisses me off more is when I see kids doing it in the junior programs instead of learning proper technique...kids never really get the chance to build strength.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

No. It's a fad technique that is gaining steam on the pro tour because they can get high rev rates to go along with the speed on the ball. What pisses me off more is when I see kids doing it in the junior programs instead of learning proper technique...kids never really get the chance to build strength.

I agree. Kids should learn how to bowl conventionally, before attempting to learn the two handed throw.

And I will go ahead and be that guy. He didn't bowl a 300. It was very impressive, but it isn't a 300 game.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:28 am 

Chus wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

I agree. Kids should learn how to bowl conventionally, before attempting to learn the two handed throw.

And I will go ahead and be that guy. He didn't bowl a 300. It was very impressive, but it isn't a 300 game.

I thought the same thing when I saw the video the other day.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:00 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Yeah. The record should be "Fastest 12 strikes"

Learning the footwork and proper conventional way to bowl is key for kids and beginners. This would be like kids going from coach pitch or tee ball, straight to throwing curve balls.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:13 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Yeah. The record should be "Fastest 12 strikes"

Learning the footwork and proper conventional way to bowl is key for kids and beginners. This would be like kids going from coach pitch or tee ball, straight to throwing curve balls.

Our babysitter's oldest is 9. He's in the junior program in Vernon Hills, and I will stop by to watch on Saturday mornings every now and again. The "coaches" there, told him to keep using the 2 handed approach, which has him contorting his body is all sorts of odd ways. And he's throwing a plastic ball to boot, which means it's not actually gripping the lane and giving any sort of reaction. All that is happening is that he's getting more and more discouraged from going every week.

I've worked with him a little, and so has his step-dad...they've come up after our Sunday league. We've worked a little on a conventional approach, but every god damn week, these idiot "coaches" keep him going back to the 2 handed nonsense. They even put out an edict a few weeks ago that no parents could give any tips while at league.

I've talked to some friends that run junior programs, and introduced his mom to a coach at a good program closer to their house. He's actually getting accepted to their league for coaching next year (there is generally a wait list, but they're going to let him in).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be about an accomplishment of Kim Jong-un.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:30 pm 

Boyd, have you tried the two-handed shot?

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
I only bowl every once in a while now but when I was 8-9 I bowled in a competitive league in Ottumwa. We went to the state bantam finals in 1973. I have always bowled wrong being right handed and sliding on my right foot on delivery of ball. Could never change it though I tried many times. 196 avg. at 9 years old. I cannot do that now best is 144-155 but I do not do it often. Anybody else bowl wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:09 pm 

Chus wrote:

No...the coordination seems odd to me, and I have enough issues with my back that I'm not going to screw with what works. Have you?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:10 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Chus wrote:

No...the coordination seems odd to me, and I have enough issues with my back that I'm not going to screw with what works. Have you?

No. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

<º)))><