It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:17 pm 

I'm nearly 50 & relatively handy at times, know to ask for help like like with my thermostat. But damn if I didn't have car trouble and thought it was an electrical problem. Cleaned the battery posts and the cables collars (?). Not a drop of juice to the car.

Got lucky that I was @my parents ' house. Start grousing to my dad. He comes out, looks over the situation, grabs some WD-40, a Swiss army knife and some pliers. Less than 10 minutes of work on battery cable connections later it cranked right up. He even gloated while I was cleaning up.

Nothing better than an old guy in your corner. He's probably still talking shit to my mom. :oops: :lol: Thank God I already gave her early Mother's Day stuff so she can check him a little :D

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Yep. Old guy knowledge is awesome. Great when one of them has the ability to share that knowledge.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Good thread. Your dad is the alphiest of the alphas. Probably smashed your Mom's old Caller Bob after you left too.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
I am officially the Old Guy for both sides of my family now, and I try to impart the Old Guy knowledge I have retained from Dad and Grandpa. Just the other day there was something I wished I could ask Dad. I have shown my kids how to change a tire and their oil; at the same time, I have taught them to shop for other people to do these things for them, so that can have them done and not get screwed.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:35 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
This thread will be better served next month. Let the ladies have "their" weekend now, you misogynists.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:24 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
This thread will be better served next month. Let the ladies have "their" weekend now, you misogynists.

My dad reached into the old guy back of tricks today. At 80 I will give him credit precisely when credit's first due. Plus he never gave a damn about Father's Day. Following his dad's lead, not looking for shine time, just setting the mark. Fuck that, it's what real old guys do/did.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Hockey Gay wrote:
Good thread. Your dad is the alphiest of the alphas. Probably smashed your Mom's old Caller Bob after you left too.

:lol: Probably did not need the WD 40 either. Old dudes lube up other ways :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:36 pm 

The bar is low though, for a black guy, just showing up every other month get's you in the "exceeding expectations" ladder of fatherhood.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:41 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
The bar is low though, for a black guy, just showing up every other month get's you in the "exceeding expectations" ladder of fatherhood.

That's the unfortunate narrative for low class people of all stripes. I'm in too good a mood to banter otherwise.

I'm just gonna file this one away 8)...for now

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:21 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I spent today with my kids. Nomination seconded.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:21 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I spent today with my kids. Nomination seconded.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
You did with double post :D

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:27 am 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Caller Bob wrote:

Is this a serious post? If so, you are an idiot. The bar is low for MANY. Pigment plays no role. Any who ascend the bar are to be commended. If one chooses to first look at regional boundary, color, religious affiliation or gender as a guide to human behavior he/she is a fool. It may appear fun to partake in bigoted thoughts on a message board, but don't live these thoughts. You are more alike those you dislike than you think. .02

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:15 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Is this a serious post? If so, you are an idiot. The bar is low for MANY. Pigment plays no role. Any who ascend the bar are to be commended. If one chooses to first look at regional boundary, color, religious affiliation or gender as a guide to human behavior he/she is a fool. It may appear fun to partake in bigoted thoughts on a message board, but don't live these thoughts. You are more alike those you dislike than you think. .02

You're right. That was a real shitty post I made. My bad.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
The only thing my dad could fix was toast. I'm not kidding.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:26 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
My dad was always half assed fixing things when I was younger and even after they got divorced, he would still help out at the house from time to time. I remember thinking "No way am I going to do shit like that, I'm going to hire people to do it or do things the right way." Fast forward to today and I have the innards of our toilet "fixed" literally using an old shoelace... and its been that way for 7 years :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
This country, dads (and Moms!) get a day, sharks get a whole week

#MURICA