It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:45 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
This tax has to be one of the most regressive I've ever seen. It's a terrible idea and it's clearly going to fail.

It's a good idea. It may fail though because people are soda addicts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
This tax has to be one of the most regressive I've ever seen. It's a terrible idea and it's clearly going to fail.

it's an awful idea as it will kill grocers in Cook County. Philly grocers are suffering as people go to the burbs to shop. Now Cook County residents will shop outside of the county, resulting in even less tax revenue and a loss of jobs.

Now Philly is in deeper trouble as they allocated the expected revenues and found they took in far less than expected. The soda tax in effect raised their deficit. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:00 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

It is a terrible idea and exempts the poorest people from the tax. So it's not about health.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:03 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
denisdman wrote:
It would be better if politicians stop using the tax code to encourage and punish behavior. It creates warped incentives. The tax code should be simple and used to raise revenues. But alas, it is easier to tax cigarettes than clothing because smokers are the bad guys and cause increased healthcare spending. And once you go down that path, we exempt certain items over tax others.

Yeah, but cigarettes are really bad and should be discouraged by taxing them heavily. Soda's bad too, but not as bad, and one cent per ounce is an insane rate. A lower rate probably would have been defensible, but this isn't.

I should note that I don't even drink soda unless I'm at a restaurant and I don't miss it. BUT they're also taxing Gatorade at a penny per ounce, and I need my Gatorade, dammit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:30 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

it's an awful idea as it will kill grocers in Cook County. Philly grocers are suffering as people go to the burbs to shop. Now Cook County residents will shop outside of the county, resulting in even less tax revenue and a loss of jobs.

Now Philly is in deeper trouble as they allocated the expected revenues and found they took in far less than expected. The soda tax in effect raised their deficit. :lol:

It may fail because people are such soda addicts they'll drive out of the county to literally save pennies per drink. It's still a good idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:34 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

It may fail because people are such soda addicts they'll drive out of the county to literally save pennies per drink. It's still a good idea.

Just wait until some guy gets killed by a cop enforcing the law on someone who is selling soda he bought elsewhere without the tax. It's not like any previous enforcement on a sin tax has ever led to that.

Also, if you're buying in bulk and realize this applies to many non-soda beverages, you can see why this is awful.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:36 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Just wait until some guy gets killed by a cop enforcing the law on someone who is selling soda he bought elsewhere without the tax. It's not like any previous enforcement on a sin tax has ever led to that.

How many people die from obesity? If you are taking it to the level of cops will kill over this then that becomes a fair question.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:38 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

How many people die from obesity? If you are taking it to the level of cops will kill over this then that becomes a fair question.

obesity is a choice. It's one we as private citizens have the right to make. I have the liberty to choose to drink soda or not and don't need government to make that decision (for the record I don't drink it, but I should have the fricken right to do it without penalty)

Being killed by a cop enforcing a tax is not a choice.

Also, this taxes far more than just "soda" but some marketing asshole calls it a "soda tax" so that you ignore everything else taxed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
is red bull included ? i'm guessing it is. please god tell me it isn't

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Curious Hair wrote:
denisdman wrote:
It would be better if politicians stop using the tax code to encourage and punish behavior. It creates warped incentives. The tax code should be simple and used to raise revenues. But alas, it is easier to tax cigarettes than clothing because smokers are the bad guys and cause increased healthcare spending. And once you go down that path, we exempt certain items over tax others.

Yeah, but cigarettes are really bad and should be discouraged by taxing them heavily. Soda's bad too, but not as bad, and one cent per ounce is an insane rate. A lower rate probably would have been defensible, but this isn't.

I should note that I don't even drink soda unless I'm at a restaurant and I don't miss it. BUT they're also taxing Gatorade at a penny per ounce, and I need my Gatorade, dammit.

My broader point is you're letting the government make judgments on what is good and what is not. Let me give you some more examples:

1) Owning a home is good. Mortgage interest deduction. Middle and upper classes win. Renters lose.
2) Solar power is good. Tax credits for solar panels and electric cars. Upper income consumers win. Solar panel producers win. Consumers subsidize solar farms with higher electric rates.
3) Farming is good. Ethanol required in fuel and tax credits were provided for production for many years. The cost of all food products is raised because crop land is diverted for ethanol corn growing.
4) Retirement savings are good. Deferred taxation on retirement contributions. The more you make the more you benefit.

Each of these noble causes drain the treasury of revenue and often benefit a limited subset of the population. Again, taxes need to be levied to raise revenue. Let them do that rather than carving out gimmes all over the country. Why should soda be taxed higher than an apple or a chocolate bar? It's all silly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Bagels wrote:
is red bull included ? i'm guessing it is. please god tell me it isn't

You didn't read the FAQ's I posted above! And I don't blame you.

Edit for FAQ's. https://www.cookcountyil.gov/content/fr ... tions-faqs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:44 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
obesity is a choice. It's one we as private citizens have the right to make. I have the liberty to choose to drink soda or not and don't need government to make that decision (for the record I don't drink it, but I should have the fricken right to do it without penalty)

Also, this taxes far more than just "soda" but some marketing asshole calls it a "soda tax" so that you ignore everything else taxed.

Selling illegal soda is a choice.

Do you also hate sales tax? What about income tax?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:50 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Selling illegal soda is a choice.

Do you also hate sales tax? What about income tax?

Taxes should not be designed to change behavior. On the other side, the tax dollars received should not be used to grant subsidies.

Also, are you going to argue that cops have the right to execute suspects for petty crimes? Without trial by jury (where good juries can nullify stupid laws)?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:54 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
obesity is a choice.

Vast, vaaaaaast oversimplification going on here, my man.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:56 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Taxes should not be designed to change behavior. On the other side, the tax dollars received should not be used to grant subsidies.
All taxes are designed to change behavior.

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Also, are you going to argue that cops have the right to execute suspects for petty crimes? Without trial by jury (where good juries can nullify stupid laws)?
Huh? Um, no.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:56 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
obesity is a choice.

it really is though, you choose what you put in your body and you choose how active you are.

Let's take this board's favorite target. Is she a victim or does her constant choice of eating entire pints of ice cream and lack of exercise cause it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:58 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
All taxes are designed to change behavior.

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Huh? Um, no.

1: taxes shouldn't be designed as such, let people decide their behavior and yes I would get rid of most behavior related tax deductions. (perhaps increase the standard deduction to make up for it)

2: when you argue that Eric Garner deserved it for selling, then you are arguing that the cop had a right to carry out the death sentence there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:02 pm 

I will vote Republican over Toni Preckwinkle next year, IF that person is anywhere close to sane and reasonable.

I've held off for years in buying more than from the 10 mins. across the border in Indiana because of my distaste for their politics & that I value the extra 20 minutes of my time more than the modest difference, but now I just don't know...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:06 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
obesity is a choice.

it really is though, you choose what you put in your body and you choose how active you are.

Let's take this board's favorite target. Is she a victim or does her constant choice of eating entire pints of ice cream and lack of exercise cause it?

I don't know what her life story is but some people just have shitty genes. I have to run my ass off every day and I don't even get thin, I just stay not-fat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:07 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
1: taxes shouldn't be designed as such, let people decide their behavior and yes I would get rid of most behavior related tax deductions. (perhaps increase the standard deduction to make up for it)
All of them modify behavior though. Sales tax, income tax, property tax. They all do though.

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
2: when you argue that Eric Garner deserved it for selling, then you are arguing that the cop had a right to carry out the death sentence there.
I never said he deserved it for selling.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:11 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
All of them modify behavior though. Sales tax, income tax, property tax. They all do though.

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I never said he deserved it for selling.

Broad taxes on income or sales tax on all items (not singling some items out but not others) may have some impact on behavior, but I draw the line at nanny state taxes such as this. These taxes are punitive on personal choices.

As for Garner, whether you directly say it or not, you insinuate it when you say it was he who led to his own death

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:14 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
obesity is a choice.

I don't know what her life story is but some people just have shitty genes. I have to run my ass off every day and I don't even get thin, I just stay not-fat.

You may not be thin, but you're not obese. You have made the choice and given it the effort to ensure that. Thus obesity is a choice.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:16 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Broad taxes on income or sales tax on all items (not singling some items out but not others) may have some impact on behavior, but I draw the line at nanny state taxes such as this. These taxes are punitive on personal choices.
Of course you do because it is convenient. As you've said though, this won't lower consumption anyways so acting like this will have a major impact on behavior directly contradicts your own points.

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
As for Garner, whether you directly say it or not, you insinuate it when you say it was he who led to his own death
I am directly saying that he did not lead to his own death and it was a cop using far too much force than was required. I'm not sure how I can be clearer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
obesity is a choice.

to an extent. many people (not just kids) don't know better or are misinformed or don't have the funds or cognitive wherewithal to plan meals. i get what you're saying, though.

ogie, i have a quote about libertarians that reminds me of you and FF. not even sure if you guys are libertarians, but it reminds me of your posts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:47 pm 

Is being poor a choice too?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

work harder
move

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:57 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

If you're poor and fat, i have a simple way to save some money.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:44 pm 

The latest suggestion to help solve the unfunded pension liability crisis is to have a statewide 1% property tax. This is in addition to any property tax you already have.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/d ... story.html

If you have an entrepreneurial mindset, perhaps now would be a good time to buy some used moving trucks and start a small business moving people out of state.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It can be a result of poor choices, no?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Douchebag wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

If you're poor and fat, i have a simple way to save some money.

Look, I've waited almost an entire year ... are you gonna tell me or what?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next