It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:41 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Once again, we have seen Chicago is the most segregated city in the entire country, not Birmingham, not Jackson, not Atlanta, not Charlotte... Chicago

The Southern cities had some really awful history, but without much fanfare they have changed for the better.
You're still being overdramatic. Chicago is not decaying. The list you cite has to do with large cities and many southern cities make that same list too. It's also not the most segregated in the entire country. If you lower the threshold for population it doesn't even make the top 10 and that isn't including small little towns either.

However, I don't even know what point you are trying to make with that. It's a problem that plagues our whole nation and it would be quite dumb to be arguing that race relations in Chicago are any worse than race relations in places that literally still fly the confederate flag with pride. Even then, the idea that you should leave Chicago because of race dynamics and instead go to the South is laughable.

That is why you are being overdramatic.

I'm not saying it's the reason to leave Chicago, but those who defend Chicago try to then paint the Southern and Western cities that people leave for as hotbeds for racism and discrimination when their own city is best case, no better for racial relations than these growing southern cities, and quite possibly even worse than them in those regards. You can see why I think it's a bullshit argument to stain these growing southern metropolises as being racist.

That is why I bring it up. Chicagoans act like their city is one of racial harmony because they didn't have slaves 160 years ago. Guess what, most of the people populating these growing southern cities came from Northern cities so I'm guessing they aren't wannabe confederates either.

Chicago is very much a segregated city. I found discrimination and racism to be worse in the South however.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Once again, we have seen Chicago is the most segregated city in the entire country, not Birmingham, not Jackson, not Atlanta, not Charlotte... Chicago

The Southern cities had some really awful history, but without much fanfare they have changed for the better.
You're still being overdramatic. Chicago is not decaying. The list you cite has to do with large cities and many southern cities make that same list too. It's also not the most segregated in the entire country. If you lower the threshold for population it doesn't even make the top 10 and that isn't including small little towns either.

However, I don't even know what point you are trying to make with that. It's a problem that plagues our whole nation and it would be quite dumb to be arguing that race relations in Chicago are any worse than race relations in places that literally still fly the confederate flag with pride. Even then, the idea that you should leave Chicago because of race dynamics and instead go to the South is laughable.

I'm not saying it's the reason to leave Chicago, but those who defend Chicago try to then paint the Southern and Western cities that people leave for as hotbeds for racism and discrimination when their own city is best case, no better for racial relations than these growing southern cities, and quite possibly even worse than them in those regards. You can see why I think it's a bullshit argument to stain these growing southern metropolises as being racist.

That is why I bring it up. Chicagoans act like their city is one of racial harmony because they didn't have slaves 160 years ago. Guess what, most of the people populating these growing southern cities came from Northern cities so I'm guessing they aren't wannabe confederates either.

Chicago is very much a segregated city. I found discrimination and racism to be worse in the South however.

I'd believe that in the rural south (also I'd say that about rural anywhere, heck just look at the neo-Nazi movements in the Pacific NW). However, I would say the metropolitan south probably has attitudes that are more in line with other metropolitan regions. I'd point to Atlanta, Dallas, etc. as examples. When we say north vs. south on these issues we really mean urban vs. rural as that's the reality.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Late to the thread, but one thing I'll never understand in these conversations is the talk of "culture" and "things to do" in Chicago. Are people going to ballets and Gay Pride Parades every weekend? It seems like you just like an urban environment more, which is fine.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:02 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ok, this is the standard "complain about the city I live in" thread. Carry on.

for many of us it's complain about the city we no longer live in.

What's going on in Raleigh tonight?

I'm pretty sure you could invite us over to watch basketball in Raleigh, too.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:09 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I'd believe that in the rural south (also I'd say that about rural anywhere, heck just look at the neo-Nazi movements in the Pacific NW). However, I would say the metropolitan south probably has attitudes that are more in line with other metropolitan regions. I'd point to Atlanta, Dallas, etc. as examples. When we say north vs. south on these issues we really mean urban vs. rural as that's the reality.

I went to the Bears game in Houston in Sept they denied me entry because they said I was dressed inappropriately. They allowed multiple people in that were dressed in jorts football jerseys tank tops wife beaters etc. I had linen shorts Versace t shirt which ironically made me feel overdressed if that were possible. I knew exactly what it was about. That would not happen in Chicago. I got in only because I demanded a refunded.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:12 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I think racism is more "blunt" in the South. The systematic racism in the North is masked by good manners.

Basically, the South = Donald Trump. It simply and bluntly highlights the racism that already exists without the polite sugar-coating of Northern cities.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:14 pm 

long time guy wrote:
I went to the Bears game in Houston in Sept they denied me entry because they said I was dressed inappropriately. They allowed multiple people in that were dressed in jorts football jerseys tank tops wife beaters etc.

The jorts reference made me :lol: .

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:22 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I think racism is more "blunt" in the South. The systematic racism in the North is masked by good manners.

Basically, the South = Donald Trump. It simply and bluntly highlights the racism that already exists without the polite sugar-coating of Northern cities.

Agreed. The "covert" vs "overt" thing. Studying Chicago history a little bit I understand why. Chicago became more segregated and conversely racist as more blacks migrated. Late 1800's early 1900's Chicago was integrated. Why? Black population was 1% or less. They weren't a threat. As blacks migrated tensions arose and it has continued to this
day.

I think a similar pattern occurred in the South. I don't know the Black population in Dallas but I'm pretty sure that is under 10%. In Chicago blacks are 30% or better. Dallas isn't threatened by the presence of blacks. Chicago is for more reasons than one. Chicago has elected a black mayor. Dallas hasn't. Under current conditions Dallas could not either.

leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Agreed. The "covert" vs "overt" thing. Studying Chicago history a little bit I understand why. Chicago became more segregated and conversely racist as more blacks migrated. Late 1800's early 1900's Chicago was integrated. Why? Black population was 1% or less. They weren't a threat. As blacks migrated tensions arose and it has continued to this
day.

I think a similar pattern occurred in the South. I don't know the Black population in Dallas but I'm pretty sure that is under 10%. In Chicago blacks are 30% or better. Dallas isn't threatened by the presence of blacks. Chicago is for more reasons than one. Chicago has elected a black mayor. Dallas hasn't. Under current conditions Dallas could not either.

leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

day.

leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

day.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:24 pm 

Sorry. Kept hitting the damn submit button obviously. If there is a way to delete please it'd be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Subtle vs. Overt racism is a popular topic in social psychology. The good news is that Overt racism is slowly disappearing (slowly), the bad news is that subtle racism isn't disappearing as fast (if at all). It is actually why programs like AA or the Rooney rule in the NFL are useful (when used properly).

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Also, as one of the people who left Chicagoland, I can say that I will probably never move back. Cost of living is probably the biggest influence. I live about a half hour from most things we want/need and if we want to go to a big city we can be in NYC or Philadelphia in under two hours. Although to be honest, we do not go to the cities much - most things we want to do we can get in Hershey or Reading.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:14 pm 

Psycory wrote:
Subtle vs. Overt racism is a popular topic in social psychology. The good news is that Overt racism is slowly disappearing (slowly), the bad news is that subtle racism isn't disappearing as fast (if at all). It is actually why programs like AA or the Rooney rule in the NFL are useful (when used properly).

I think it is much more difficult to be overtly racist today. This country has evolved in that regard. A person's career can end as result of it. Wasn't the case 50-60 years ago. A number of blacks have gone on record claiming that they prefer overt racism more because at least you know where you stand. It's perplexing because racism is racism but the there is the belief that covert racism is worse because of the transparency found in it.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:16 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
I went to the Bears game in Houston in Sept they denied me entry because they said I was dressed inappropriately. They allowed multiple people in that were dressed in jorts football jerseys tank tops wife beaters etc.

The jorts reference made me :lol: .
cheap ass Jorts ( are there any other kind)

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:00 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Brick have you ever lived in the south?
No.

You went to Purdue, go an hour down to Indy and that city is culturally part of the South. They even have Waffle House.

:lol: Please tell me you are kidding

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Have any posters lived in the Deep South (TX, LA, MS, AL, FL) for a year or more?

I have, but if there are any posters who lived down there for more than the year I did it would be interesting to hear their perspective.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
RFDC wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
No.

You went to Purdue, go an hour down to Indy and that city is culturally part of the South. They even have Waffle House.

What's wrong about that? Indiana is Midwest Alabama

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:33 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
No.

Anyone that thinks Indy is culturally part of the south has not spent much time in the South.

Indy maybe culturally part of the south compared to Chicago, but when compared to real southern cities it is not even close.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Last edited by RFDC on Thu May 25, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
No.

Only south of I-80.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
No.

Anyone that thinks Indy is culturally part of the south has not spent much time in the South.

Indy maybe culturally part of the south compared to Chicago, but when compared to real southern cities it is not even close.

Fo sho. Take a drive through Savannah, GA. Indy looks nothing like it.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
We looked at moving down south of Effingham in Illinois and visited a few times. I thank the good lord that when I went down with the boss Katrina was spinning into southern Illinois at the time. Being a good northern boy the culture shock of the drawl and dinner menus was a tad off putting. That and fucking White county.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
No.

Of course it's a joke, Ohio residents make the same joke about Cinci

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Chus wrote:
RFDC wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
No.

Fo sho. Take a drive through Savannah, GA. Indy looks nothing like it.

My wife loves Savanah but she loves old cities. The moss was cool and I loved the Low Country boil.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:50 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Florida still a viable option?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I am loving pretty much everything about south eastern Wisconsin.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:

Illinois sucks. Unless you need to move here nobody does on purpose. Shit state and shit climate. Fuck all of us who choose to live here. I moved back because of my wife and her job. Loved going to a grocery store in Iowa and paying for food and not giving the state of Iowa one penny in food or beverage tax. Fuck Illinois.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
We looked at moving down south of Effingham in Illinois and visited a few times. I thank the good lord that when I went down with the boss Katrina was spinning into southern Illinois at the time. Being a good northern boy the culture shock of the drawl and dinner menus was a tad off putting. That and fucking White county.

Firefly Grill in Effingham is really awesome. Could easily thrive in Chicago, FWIW.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:

that's my goal.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next