It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:00 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
So, have we concluded that certain parts of Chicago are the only places on Earth worth living in?

Once Good Dolphin checks in then we will know.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
T-Bone wrote:
From the interwebs....

Wisconsin's photo ID law remains a lighting rod for Democrats who watched the state turn red in the 2016 presidential race for the first time in three decades.

PolitiFact Wisconsin checked a claim of just how big of an impact it had on voter turnout.

U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin is blaming Wisconsin's voter ID law for a lower voter turnout in last year's presidential election.

"She said that because of Wisconsin's voter ID law 200,000 fewer people came out to vote," said Tom Kertscher at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Aside from the voting aspect, it is scary to think there are that many people without IDs (if that number is even believable).

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:52 am 

Good riddance.

As I sit here on a public beach with a helluva view after working out for an hour in the fieldhouse weight room (which is never crowded and very inexpensive) I'm reminded why in part I haven't moved. After my stroke I got to take advantage of arguably the finest rehab hospital in the world and although I'm still disabled to an extent, I can still pretty much do, find, eat and go virtually anywhere I want. If you told me that winters were going to be anywhere like this past one, I'd never leave.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:48 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Have any posters lived in the Deep South (TX, LA, MS, AL, FL) for a year or more?

I have, but if there are any posters who lived down there for more than the year I did it would be interesting to hear their perspective.

I lived in La. for years while I was an undergrad. KKK would openly advertise for recruitment in Newspapers. David Duke was a serious challenger for Gov. It was also the only place where I can ever remember being called the "n" word (by a white person) Southern racism felt different.

I can remember being in one of those little Texaco gas stations after hrs one night. A black guy from Cali who was also a student waa drinking a 40 ounce in the store. A chick walked over to the security guard and informed him that the dude was drinking a 40 oz. and thus should be removed. Dude was pissed and confronted the chick for telling on him. He got in the her face and she stood her ground while also issuing a threat.

She simply told him that she was from Livingston Parrish and that "They will find you". She didn't have to say anything else after that. We all knew what she was talking about.

LA is a weird place. Didnt' they have an Indian governor recently too?

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:49 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Curious Hair wrote:
Depends where in Southeastern Wisconsin you are. Waukesha is a nice city and I'm reasonably sure they plow their roads. Kenosha isn't too far gone like Racine and that little streetcar district they put up around the Metra station looks cute. Wauwatosa and Stallis are fine inner-ring burbs. There's some serious David Lynch shit off the beaten paths between the Tri-State and Lake Geneva: all those little towns like Pell Lake and Lake Como and Silver Lake and Lake Ivanhoe and pretty much anything with "Lake" in it and "Unincorporated" below it. The only places of business are bars and bait shops. It gets to you.

But when I think of "southeastern Wisconsin" as a blanket term for the region, as in going to lengths not to say "greater Milwaukee," I think of those weird square-shaped suburbs like New Berlin, Muskego, Brookfield, and Menominee Falls, where there's no sense of urban planning or even place, they're just these loosely defined zones where you drive around on big six-lane divided highways and things just sort of occur at random intersections. I mock Lake Geneva but there's no doubt it's a discrete civic entity. Eastern Waukesha County is just people putting stuff wherever they want because they can and then building lots and lots of roads between them; it should come as no surprise that it's the epicenter of Wisconsin's conservative movement. I don't think I could be happy there but I can't be happy anywhere.

YA this was like 20 some years ago. I won't mention the town so not to offend anyone.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:33 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Have any posters lived in the Deep South (TX, LA, MS, AL, FL) for a year or more?

I have, but if there are any posters who lived down there for more than the year I did it would be interesting to hear their perspective.

I lived in La. for years while I was an undergrad. KKK would openly advertise for recruitment in Newspapers. David Duke was a serious challenger for Gov. It was also the only place where I can ever remember being called the "n" word (by a white person) Southern racism felt different.

I can remember being in one of those little Texaco gas stations after hrs one night. A black guy from Cali who was also a student waa drinking a 40 ounce in the store. A chick walked over to the security guard and informed him that the dude was drinking a 40 oz. and thus should be removed. Dude was pissed and confronted the chick for telling on him. He got in the her face and she stood her ground while also issuing a threat.

She simply told him that she was from Livingston Parrish and that "They will find you". She didn't have to say anything else after that. We all knew what she was talking about.

LA is a weird place. Didnt' they have an Indian governor recently too?

Yeah Jindal.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:43 am 

pizza_Place: Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders
I'd imagine all the murders aren't helping the population numbers...

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:50 am 

long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
So, have we concluded that certain parts of Chicago are the only places on Earth worth living in?

Once Good Dolphin checks in then we will know.

Chicago is a great place to live with no real different frustrations than any other urban center.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:56 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The latter part of your statement is not true. Chicago has one of the highest sales tax rates in the country, with the beverage tax and more on the way. The CTA and Metra are also very antiquated. That is a lot different than other urban areas.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:01 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
The only other American city that has anything near the CTA or Metra is New York. Everyone else would take Chicago's "antiquated" system in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:02 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
The latter part of your statement is not true. Chicago has one of the highest sales tax rates in the country, with the beverage tax and more on the way. The CTA and Metra are also very antiquated. That is a lot different than other urban areas.

Oh no, the beverage tax!

Metra is not antiquated and the CTA is superior to a lot of public transportation. Compare Los Angeles or, as we have heard already, Atlanta.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:04 am 

The beverage tax is pretty fucked up. Taxing pop doesnt really bother me, but lemonade and iced tea? and $.01/oz is really, really high.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:06 am 

Good weather always seemed like the strangest of reasons to me for people relocating. I like the four season experience.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:08 am 

America wrote:
The beverage tax is pretty fucked up. Taxing pop doesnt really bother me, but lemonade and iced tea? and $.01/oz is really, really high.

I don't disagree it sucks and is another money grab

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:16 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Good weather always seemed like the strangest of reasons to me for people relocating. I like the four season experience.

"spring" in Chicago is awful.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:18 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
America wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Only 3 more weeks until the days get shorter !!

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:25 am 

America wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

The weather sucks but there is a lot of fun to be had starting with the couple of weeks around St. Patrick's Day

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
For the second year in a row, I'm spending Memorial Day weekend in San Diego. I love this place, but could never afford to live here. We were out by Ocean Beach last night having dinner, and I pulled up Zillow and looked at rents. $3/sf/month.

I'll just come here for a long weekend 3-4 times a year instead.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:37 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
Metra is not antiquated and the CTA is superior to a lot of public transportation.

Maybe not antiquated per se but all but the Electric and South Shore still run on diesel, which feels lagging. I think New York's three commuter railroads all run electric.

But again, you can get to downtown Chicago without driving a car from pretty much any suburb except Gurnee or Lake Zurich and overall I think that's pretty neat.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:39 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Metra is not antiquated and the CTA is superior to a lot of public transportation.

Maybe not antiquated per se but all but the Electric and South Shore still run on diesel, which feels lagging. I think New York's three commuter railroads all run electric.

But again, you can get to downtown Chicago without driving a car from pretty much any suburb except Gurnee or Lake Zurich and overall I think that's pretty neat.

The equipment is antiquated, but the service is probably better than any metropolitan area except New York.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

The only reason New York's train lines are electrified is due to the fact they have to be to use the Hudson River tubes

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:43 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Chicago wouldn't be an awful place to live if the state/city fixed their budget didn't rob the taxpayers blind.

However, that situation is unlikely to change.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:31 pm 

Great piece in Politico today about the financial catastrophe that is Illinois.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/1 ... ion-239384

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:22 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
good dolphin wrote:
Chicago is a great place to live with no real different frustrations than any other urban center.

Chicago is a great place to live for certain reasons, but you're ignoring the fact that the city and state will soon to be bankrupt and their taxes are drastically higher than other areas. I stay here mostly because I have kids here. I've worked in Milwaukee the last 4 years and will jump the border as soon as possible. Financially, Chicago and IL suck ass.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
wdelaney72 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Chicago is a great place to live for certain reasons, but you're ignoring the fact that the city and state will soon to be bankrupt and their taxes are drastically higher than other areas. I stay here mostly because I have kids here. I've worked in Milwaukee the last 4 years and will jump the border as soon as possible. Financially, Chicago and IL suck ass.

Yeah that really is it. I do not see people saying Chicago sucks omg there is nothing good there at all. I see people say politics, financial problems, state issues and no sign of anything changing in the future. I just had a wonderful visit back with GF and my kids. I truly miss it and was happy to shoe off my home town. Move back for real? Not any time soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:39 am 

wdelaney72 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I'll pay a premium to live in Chicago rather than Milwaukee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:51 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Just read through the DH article below on the soda tax hike. It raises some interesting questions. How much of your fountain drink is filled with ice....

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/2017062 ... e#autoplay

Edit for FAQ's. https://www.cookcountyil.gov/content/fr ... tions-faqs

updated: 6/28/2017 7:43 AM
Cook County soda tax will add a penny per ounce, but will the ice be free?

Soda and other sweetened drinks bought in Cook County are set to cost you significantly more starting Saturday.

But will the amount of ice affect the price?

And will your refill still be free?

Those are among the many nuances of the new penny-per-ounce "soda tax" facing retailers and restaurant owners.

"How they fill up the cup is an issue between them and their customers," said Frank Shuftan, a spokesman for Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle.

That's going to lead to some customers being taxed more than others or restaurants not being able to fully comply with the law, critics of the tax say.

Take McDonald's, for instance. Diners can buy a soda in a 32-ounce cup for $1. But once ice is dumped in, the cup won't hold 32 ounces of soda.

The law states restaurants can charge less to make up for ice displacement if "the business uses cups with an ice fill line" and "submit that information" to the county revenue department "as proof of the number of ounces sold."

But most McDonald's locations allow customers to decide the amount of ice. The fast-food chain also allows free refills to in-store customers, which would mean drive-through customers could be taxed at a higher rate than those who dine in and consume multiple untaxed glasses of soda. Attempts to reach McDonald's officials for an explanation of how they plan to implement the tax were unsuccessful.

Shuftan said McDonald's officials have submitted details regarding ice displacement in their cups to the county.

Restaurant owners can charge the tax on the full volume of the cup if they choose. That means a 32-ounce soda at an Arlington Heights McDonald's would go from $1.11 -- after state, local and RTA sales taxes and a 1.25 percent municipal food and beverage tax -- to as much as $1.43 beginning Saturday.

A group of retailers cited vagueness in the law when it filed suit Tuesday to try halt the tax, which also applies to bottled sweetened beverages sold by retailers. A 2-liter bottle of soda, for instance, will cost 67 cents more.

Some restaurants in the suburbs are posting signs warning customers of the pending tax, but those signs don't indicate the effect the tax will have on beverage orders.

"We're just going to have to eat it ourselves," said Derek Hanley, owner of Peggy Kinnane's Irish Restaurant & Pub in downtown Arlington Heights. "I can't price that out to the consumer."

But he's going to have to. According to one of the 78 "Frequently Asked Questions" about the law on the county's website, "the tax must be passed on to the consumer."

Hanley also thought he was being taxed on the ounces of syrup he purchases to make sodas at the restaurant. But in fact, he's being taxed on the ounces of soda the syrup makes.

So a 5-gallon bag of soda syrup will cost Hanley an extra $38.40 after Saturday, not just the $6.40 he thought. And since he goes through about six bags a week, that's an extra $230 a week in taxes he's paying his distributor, or nearly an extra $1,000 a month.

"Wow! That's huge," Hanley said when informed of the true cost. "That's an extra $12,000 a year."

Some of that beverage goes down the drain when people overfill their drink cups. Is there a tax on what's spilled?

There is a 5 percent "spillage and product preparation" rebate on soda syrup, so that would lower Hanley's costs by about $2 a bag.

Even though consumers are ultimately supposed to pay the tax, it's the distributors of the sweetened beverages who are responsible for paying the county.

"We're advising our members to comply as best they can," said Brian Jordan, president of the Illinois Food Retailers Association. "But this tax is a terrible regression tax that will drive business out of Cook County."

Cook County's tax is one of the broadest of its type in the nation.

Chicago already has a soda tax, but it only applies to bottled drinks. Philadelphia; Seattle; Boulder, Colorado; and several cities in the Bay Area of northern California also have sweetened beverage taxes.

Philadelphia's tax, which began in January, is most similar to Cook County's. So far, according to media reports, revenues from the tax are off significantly. Philadelphia expected to raise $46 million in six months, but so far it has raised only $20 million from the tax after four months of returns.

"Cook County should heed the warning signs from Philadelphia, where the beverage tax has resulted in declining sales, consumer flight, lost jobs and a gaping hole in the city's budget because Philadelphia politicians inflated the tax's revenue projections," said David Goldenberg, a spokesman for the Can the Tax Coalition, a lobbying group fighting the implementation of the tax.

When announced less than a year ago, the tax was promoted by Preckwinkle as a way to help close a budget gap and slow the growth in obesity rates. It was estimated to bring in more than $220 million annually to the county, but that was before a recent change that made the tax not apply to people in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP. New revenue estimates have not been released.

Proponents of the tax say it will make sugary drinks less desirable -- and affordable -- which in turn will help with obesity and diabetes rates of county residents.

Elissa Bassler, CEO of the Illinois Public Health Institute, said researchers have estimated a reduction of 37,000 cases of obesity and 7 percent reduction in diabetes over the next decade.

"This is a healthy source of revenue," Bassler said. "People can choose to pay it or not."
Got a tip?

Last edited by denisdman on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:58 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Yeah, well Philly already sucked before the tax.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:26 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
This tax has to be one of the most regressive I've ever seen. It's a terrible idea and it's clearly going to fail.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
It would be better if politicians stop using the tax code to encourage and punish behavior. It creates warped incentives. The tax code should be simple and used to raise revenues. But alas, it is easier to tax cigarettes than clothing because smokers are the bad guys and cause increased healthcare spending. And once you go down that path, we exempt certain items over tax others.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next