It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mount Everest
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Fighting back strong this season. 10 dead so far. Lot of people who have no business being up there thinking they can make it to the top. Guess not.

Post subject: Re: Mount Everest
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Franky T wrote:
Fighting back strong this season. 10 dead so far. Lot of people who have no business being up there thinking they can make it to the top. Guess not.

Do we cheer for the mountain?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
After watching that movie Everest, and doing some minor research on the mountain I don't see how anyone not in peak physical condition would even attempt the climb. Not to mention late May is monsoon season, and the stronger storms push into the mountains around this time. If you have a family, there's no way I'd even think about it.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:42 am 

Seconded!

I have a soft spot for stories like this, or like the other day where a big game "hunter" was killed by the elephant he was hunting "for sport"

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:46 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Jbi11s wrote:
After watching that movie Everest, and doing some minor research on the mountain I don't see how anyone not in peak physical condition would even attempt the climb. Not to mention late May is monsoon season, and the stronger storms push into the mountains around this time. If you have a family, there's no way I'd even think about it.

As climbs go, Everest is supposedly not particularly demanding. As long as the climber is acclimated to the elevation it doesn't take an especially skilled mountaineer to climb Everest. I think the biggest issue is that there are so many people out there now that things get slow and there are many things that can happen, e.g. weather, avalanches, etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
I root for the mountain except when it takes a sherpa. Their job is to carry the crap up a mountain so the climber can accomplish something.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:48 am 

Cashman wrote:
Franky T wrote:

I do. I don't actively cheer for people to die, but I don't feel sorry for them if/when they do.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

As climbs go, Everest is supposedly not particularly demanding. As long as the climber is acclimated to the elevation it doesn't take an especially skilled mountaineer to climb Everest. I think the biggest issue is that there are so many people out there now that things get slow and there are many things that can happen, e.g. weather, avalanches, etc.

Yep, that's exactly it. Apparently the K2 mountain is far more challenging and deadly, but less traveled.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Cashman wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Cheering for the Mountain is like cheering for the Yankees.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Regular Reader wrote:
or like the other day where a big game "hunter" was killed by the elephant he was hunting "for sport"

Those stories are always glorious

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:51 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Franky T wrote:

So which avalanche spot is Jeter?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:52 am 

Hockey Gay wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
or like the other day where a big game "hunter" was killed by the elephant he was hunting "for sport"

Those stories are always glorious

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Regular Reader wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Franky T wrote:

The one just outside the top 5

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Franky T wrote:

The one just outside the top 5

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:55 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Jbi11s wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Yep, that's exactly it. Apparently the K2 mountain is far more challenging and deadly, but less traveled.

Yeah, climbing Everest isn't an impossibility for some rich goof who wants to do it. Many of these people couldn't even consider climbing K2 or Makalu. There are too many dilettantes on Everest rather than real mountaineers.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:09 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Man was not meant to operate at the height of a 747 cruising altitude.

Nothing wrong with rooting for the Yanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:12 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Yeah, climbing Everest isn't an impossibility for some rich goof who wants to do it. Many of these people couldn't even consider climbing K2 or Makalu. There are too many dilettantes on Everest rather than real mountaineers.

I saw an interview with an experienced climber and he said the mountain is full of people who have no idea what they are doing and simply shouldn't be up there, but the Nepal government won't stop them because they want the $11,000 fee from those idiots.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:16 am 

Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

I saw an interview with an experienced climber and he said the mountain is full of people who have no idea what they are doing and simply shouldn't be up there, but the Nepal government won't stop them because they want the $11,000 fee from those idiots.

Are you suggesting some type of regulation? I've heard that is a bad thing, especially in the good ole' USA.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: ....
Mountain-climbing is a surreally-dangerous activity.

My friend attempted to scale Mt. Ranier last Summer, but had to stop a mere 800 feet from the summit due to severe mountain sickness, which he described as absolutely life-threatening, and he had been training for a long period of time prior to his attempt.

I apologize to The Hawk

Last edited by Panther pislA on Thu May 25, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

What % of people that climbed Everest had Sherpas carrying all the gear and set up their tent n cooked the food?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:22 am 

Cashman wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Are you suggesting some type of regulation? I've heard that is a bad thing, especially in the good ole' USA.

Not at all. They should keep taking the money from those suckers.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:33 am 

Panther pislA wrote:
Mountain-climbing is a surreally-dangerous activity.

My friend attempted to scale Mt. Ranier last Summer, but had to stop a mere 800 feet from the summit due to severe mountain sickness, which he described as absolutely life-threatening, and he had been training for a long period of time prior to his attempt.

Should of moved to Denver for like a year before he tried it.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Don Tiny wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Many of the people doing this are the same rich dopes that take a summer off "work" to sail solo across the Atlantic from France.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:55 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Many of the people doing this are the same rich dopes that take a summer off "work" to sail solo across the Atlantic from France.

I cheer for the ocean.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Yea heaven forbid somebody try and achieve something difficult and strenuous.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:20 pm 

Yea heaven forbid somebody try and achieve something difficult and strenuous.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I tend not to feel sorry for people who do stupid things and die. Maybe I need counseling.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:33 pm 

Trying to climb Mt. Everest isn't stupid. We follow the logic that says it is far enough and life becomes pretty meaningless.