It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: David Brooks!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
For penning one of the most bat-shit, out of touch, condescending paragraphs in recent memory.

Quote:
Recently I took a friend with only a high school degree to lunch. Insensitively, I led her into a gourmet sandwich shop. Suddenly I saw her face freeze up as she was confronted with sandwiches named “Padrino” and “Pomodoro” and ingredients like soppressata, capicollo and a striata baguette. I quickly asked her if she wanted to go somewhere else and she anxiously nodded yes and we ate Mexican.

Nothing to fear troglodytes, David Brooks is here to save you from the scourge of fancy sandwiches.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/11/o ... erica.html

Post subject: Re: David Brooks!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:15 pm 

There's nothing "or something" about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Is this some sort of humblebrag? Charity case?

I agree with the first half of the column, and then he writes this:

"I was braced by Reeves’s book, but after speaking with him a few times about it, I’ve come to think the structural barriers he emphasizes are less important than the informal social barriers that segregate the lower 80 percent."

These "barriers" (sometimes they are just challenges) are really just a matter of cultural literacy. Sure, it can be painful to find out that there are scads of gastronomical references that confuse you and a plethora of Yiddish words to describe emotions you have never felt, but the real barriers are the ones that keep you in behind the eight ball and then into seep your head.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:10 am 

SpiralStairs wrote:
For penning one of the most bat-shit, out of touch, condescending paragraphs in recent memory.

Quote:
Recently I took a friend with only a high school degree to lunch. Insensitively, I led her into a gourmet sandwich shop. Suddenly I saw her face freeze up as she was confronted with sandwiches named “Padrino” and “Pomodoro” and ingredients like soppressata, capicollo and a striata baguette. I quickly asked her if she wanted to go somewhere else and she anxiously nodded yes and we ate Mexican.

Nothing to fear troglodytes, David Brooks is here to save you from the scourge of fancy sandwiches.

Why would anyone have a friend who only has a high school degree?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:45 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Quote:

Maybe Mike North knows.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:00 am 

Those meats and derivatives of those sandwich names are served at humble Italian deli sandwich shops throughout this city.

The guy with the high school diploma working the counter at Bari, Grazianos, Fontanos, Tonys or any other number of places speaks better Italian than I ever could with a college edumacation...and probably makes more money.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:54 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
SpiralStairs wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Quote:

Maybe Mike North knows.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:58 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
SpiralStairs wrote:

Quote:
Recently I took a friend with only a high school degree to lunch. Insensitively, I led her into a gourmet sandwich shop. Suddenly I saw her face freeze up as she was confronted with sandwiches named “Padrino” and “Pomodoro”

Pomodoro huh. Was he breaking up with her?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
SpiralStairs wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Maybe Mike North knows.