It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bernstein and Goff
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:11 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Hey if they want to continue to dig their own graves, let NBA talk talk reign freely.

But you have to admit the content complaints are disingenuous.

Imagine you can program the show. For all five hours these two will talk about whatever subject you deem necessary. Do you think this would turn it into a show you like listening to?
Local sports radio should be about local sports mostly. The playoffs can make national sports be ok to dominate the discussion in any sport.

I hate the notion that sports talk always have to be local. It becomes repetitive and boring. How many Cutler stinks discussions can a person have in one lifetime. Now that he is gone calls for Fox to be fired will become topic rumour. Before that Trestman,Lovie,Shoop, etc. If it's not a coach it's an assistant or the QB. Once they deviate it becomes a McCaskey family bash fest. It's all too predictable and frankly market tested driven. After 2 decades it's old now.

Flip to baseball and it's the laborious Cubs/Sox fan divide crap.

There wasn't much NBA even when the Bulls were winning championships. Bears still dominated.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:13 am 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Hey if they want to continue to dig their own graves, let NBA talk talk reign freely.

But you have to admit the content complaints are disingenuous.

Imagine you can program the show. For all five hours these two will talk about whatever subject you deem necessary. Do you think this would turn it into a show you like listening to?
Local sports radio should be about local sports mostly. The playoffs can make national sports be ok to dominate the discussion in any sport.

I hate the notion that sports talk always have to be local. It becomes repetitive and boring. How many Cutler stinks discussions can a person have in one lifetime. Now that he is gone calls for Fox to be fired will become topic rumour. Before that Trestman,Lovie,Shoop, etc. If it's not a coach it's an assistant or the QB. Once they deviate it becomes a McCaskey family bash fest. It's all too predictable and frankly market tested driven. After 2 decades it's old now.

Flip to baseball and it's the laborious Cubs/Sox fan divide crap.

There wasn't much NBA even when the Bulls were winning championships. Bears still dominated.

There are much better options for national sports talk than anyone in Chicago. That's true for just about any sport too.

Why would we think that any Chicago sports radio host would be good at talking about Oklahoma City and Houston?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
sjboyd0137 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
You can argue it's not a big story locally but this post is just country dumb. There's a reason 2017 NBA free agency was the biggest story in all of sports the past 3 weeks.

Has NBA free agency started yet?

We also would have accepted "What is the NBA?"

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Why would we think that any Chicago sports radio host would be good at talking about Oklahoma City and Houston?
None are. Thats why they bring in out of town "experts" to preview those series for their rapt audience.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:21 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

None are. Thats why they bring in out of town "experts" to preview those series for their rapt audience.

Yup. They shouldn't be either. It's local radio. They "should" be experts on the local teams.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
FavreFan wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
You can argue it's not a big story locally but this post is just country dumb. There's a reason 2017 NBA free agency was the biggest story in all of sports the past 3 weeks.

Has NBA free agency started yet?

We also would have accepted "What is the NBA?"

Yeah, but I know what the NBA is. I just don't care, and probably wouldn't notice if the whole league folded tomorrow.

I could literally be standing next to Durant or Curry, and not have the slightest idea who it was.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:17 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Yup. They shouldn't be either. It's local radio. They "should" be experts on the local teams.

Boers and McNeil routinely brought in out of town guys to talk football and baseball and it never seemed to bother anyone. They dont have to be experts on out of town teams but if they have a working knowledge of out of teams it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I also don't think that the problem is related to talking NBA too much either. I think it is related to talking the NBA at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:40 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Boers and McNeil routinely brought in out of town guys to talk football and baseball and it never seemed to bother anyone. They dont have to be experts on out of town teams but if they have a working knowledge of out of teams it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I also don't think that the problem is related to talking NBA too much either. I think it is related to talking the NBA at all.

I see your point. My recollection was it was during the season at hand though. Something like that would be in the off season for a big breaking story or the draft/first days of free agency.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:52 am 

I used to love around the NFL type segments. I wish the station would spend more time on national college football.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:30 am 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I have no problem with outside experts. That us a good use of time.

Not seeing you much in show threads though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I have no problem with outside experts. That us a good use of time.

Not seeing you much in show threads though.

Me not being in show threads should be a net plus. I don't listen to sports radio much these days. I will make more of an attempt now that they talk more basketballl.