It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sir Paul
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:45 am 

Great show last night. We were out in the pavilion, and at times it felt more like watching it on TV than "being there"; but as the show progressed, the crowd got more into it around us, and he played a lot of great classics. i think the entire show was about 3 hours, including encores.

i'd never seen him live, and for me it was a bucket list type of thing. nice night for a concert. paul's still got it...and the fireworks/flames for "live and let die" were pretty cool.

Post subject: Re: Sir Paul
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:47 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I saw him a couple times about 20 years ago and you are right it is great. I guess he still thinks it is fun to be able to do such a show at his age? Why else would one of the richest guys in the UK continue to bother?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:56 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
$35 lawn seats for tonight on StubHub.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:41 am 

I would have liked to have seen this show. There were a lot of hall of fame types playing in Chicago this summer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:44 am 

It was agreat show. His band fuckin rocks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:12 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
Peoria Matt wrote:
$35 lawn seats for tonight on StubHub.

I got the same price on Gametime and am going tonight, had credit from Cubs tickets I had sold. Looking forward to the show.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:33 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
I would have liked to have seen this show. There were a lot of hall of fame types playing in Chicago this summer.

Roger Waters put on a great show the other night. He played virtually all of Dark Side of the Moon and two-thirds of Animals. The political stuff wasn't the most subtle thing going, but whatever.

I coulda done without hearing Eddie Vedder singing "Comfortably Numb," however.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:40 am 

formerlyknownas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Roger Waters put on a great show the other night. He played virtually all of Dark Side of the Moon and two-thirds of Animals. The political stuff wasn't the most subtle thing going, but whatever.

For as big a Floyd fan as I am this is why I did not or will not go. He has gone nuts really. It is beyond a little Bono or Springsteen preaching. He is out there too on a few of his stances with Israel being one of them. Moreover, I never really get the politicization of rock in the first place but having a UK citizen preach the whole concert and bombard with the AV stuff is too much for me. I would rather have a bong, some beer and a good pair of headphones for Floyd songs at this point.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:03 am 

pittmike wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

For as big a Floyd fan as I am this is why I did not or will not go. He has gone nuts really. It is beyond a little Bono or Springsteen preaching. He is out there too on a few of his stances with Israel being one of them. Moreover, I never really get the politicization of rock in the first place but having a UK citizen preach the whole concert and bombard with the AV stuff is too much for me. I would rather have a bong, some beer and a good pair of headphones for Floyd songs at this point.

That's what artists do, mike. It really is what they should do.

When I go to a concert at Wrigley, I boo whenever the artist brings up something about the Cubs. You can do the same.

I went to The Wall with my wife and another couple. The guy is an arch conservative (he is also a custodial engineer who likes to refer to himself, unashamedly, as an engineer even though he knows my wife is an actual licensed engineer). At the end of the concert during drinks he spent the time bitching about the politics. I asked him if he had any previous familiarity with the work. Who knew The Wall would be anti war, anti facism and kind of pro anarchist?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:34 am 

good dolphin wrote:
pittmike wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

When I go to a concert at Wrigley, I boo whenever the artist brings up something about the Cubs. You can do the same.

I went to The Wall with my wife and another couple. The guy is an arch conservative (he is also a custodial engineer who likes to refer to himself, unashamedly, as an engineer even though he knows my wife is an actual licensed engineer). At the end of the concert during drinks he spent the time bitching about the politics. I asked him if he had any previous familiarity with the work. Who knew The Wall would be anti war, anti facism and kind of pro anarchist?

I get it. I also know full well the underlying themes of The Wall. I guess I will just choose not to see it in this current incarnation. particularly from Roger the UK citizen.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:02 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
pittmike wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
pittmike wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I get it. I also know full well the underlying themes of The Wall. I guess I will just choose not to see it in this current incarnation. particularly from Roger the UK citizen.

pink floyd's heyday predates my time on this planet, but seeing waters perform dark side of the moon in tinley park about 7 or 8 years ago was perhaps the best concert i had been to in my lifetime. I was initially excited about him coming back on tour in chicago but never did buy tickets... then when I heard the show was going to be super crazy political and anti trump i for sure didnt bother trying to check scalper prices. i guess as mike mentioned there's always been strong political messages from waters in his music and shows, but seeing how we as a society have just been doused with political hate speech on TV and online on twitter.... from all sides for basically the last 2 years... it's just too much

Last edited by billypootons on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Saw Paul about 20 years ago at County Stadium. Phenomenal show. "Lady Madonna" put the biggest smile on my face.

No desire to see him since.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:08 am 

PittMike and Billy need safe spaces at concerts.

Poor snowflakes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:20 am 

pittmike wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
pittmike wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

it wasn't very artistically done....i want artists to have political ideas and push the boundaries, but do it with your art, not just by putting a picture of a small-penised Trump up there....I respect Waters as a lyricist. He could have done better.

I also felt that he tried to shoehorn his old material into commentary on Trump. Yeah, sticking it to the Man will always be relevant, but Trump comes from a world that did not exist in 1976 or 1979.

Great show, though. I forgot how much I connected to Floyd.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I mean, he's hugely responsible for Floyd being Floyd, but Waters can't sing. I'd rather see Gilmour.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Furious Styles wrote:
Saw Paul about 20 years ago at County Stadium. Phenomenal show. "Lady Madonna" put the biggest smile on my face.

No desire to see him since.

The My Brave Face tour.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's

Setlist for the concert

1. Drive My Car
Written by Lennon - McCartney
2. Coming Up
Written by Paul McCartney
3. Looking For Changes
4. Another Day
Written by Paul McCartney, Linda McCartney
5. All My Loving
6. Let Me Roll It
7. Peace In The Neighbourhood
8. Off The Ground
9. Can't Buy Me Love
10. Robbie's Bit
Written by Robbie McIntosh
11. Good Rockin' Tonight
Written by Roy Brown
12. We Can Work It Out
13. And I Love Her
14. Every Night
15. Hope Of Deliverance
16. Michelle
17. Biker Like An Icon
18. Here, There And Everywhere
19. Yesterday
20. My Love
21. Lady Madonna
22. Live And Let Die
23. Let It Be
24. Magical Mystery Tour
25. C'mon People
26. The Long And Winding Road
27. Paperback Writer
28. Fixing A Hole
29. Penny Lane
30. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
31. Band On The Run
32. I Saw Her Standing There
33. Hey Jude

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:38 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
pittmike wrote:
For as big a Floyd fan as I am this is why I did not or will not go. He has gone nuts really. It is beyond a little Bono or Springsteen preaching. He is out there too on a few of his stances with Israel being one of them.

Kinda where I'm at too. I'll give a long rope in the name of great music but his antisemitism is too appalling to put up with.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:
For as big a Floyd fan as I am this is why I did not or will not go. He has gone nuts really. It is beyond a little Bono or Springsteen preaching. He is out there too on a few of his stances with Israel being one of them.

Kinda where I'm at too. I'll give a long rope in the name of great music but his antisemitism is too appalling to put up with.

ditto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:12 pm 

When is this guys 15 minutes of fame up?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:19 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

You just gave IMU a boner.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Douchebag wrote:

Poor snowflakes.

Didn't go nearly far enough. Before the show they should have demanded that all of the idiot Trump voters raise their hands before systematically shooting each and every one in the head. Then the normal people could have danced on the rotting corpses during the show.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:38 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Is it antisemitism or just anti-Israeli? I'm seriously asking. I never understood his obsession with Israel/Palestine.

I think I remember him going after Jewish-Americans for interfering or lobbying, but I don't think that automatically makes him antisemitic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:42 pm 

Anti-Zionism, i.e., the denial of Israel's right to exist, can fairly be called antisemitism. It says "I love Jews, Jews are great, I just don't think they should have a place to live as a bulwark against the hatred that has followed them for centuries."

Last edited by Curious Hair on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:04 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Anti-Zionism, i.e., the denial of Israel's right to exist, can fairly be called antisemitism. What are you saying, really? "I love Jews, Jews are great, I just don't think they should have a place to live as a bulwark against the hatred that has followed them for centuries."

I can see what you are saying, though. Anti-Zionism is a different sort of antisemitism--or, in the US, since we're so close with Israel, anti-Zionism is not something that ever struck me as something with teeth. Maybe it's different in the UK, which is significantly less Jewish than the US. I just don't understand how Waters latched on to this.

Last edited by formerlyknownas on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:05 pm 

DannyB wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Poor snowflakes.

Didn't go nearly far enough. Before the show they should have demanded that all of the idiot Trump voters raise their hands before systematically shooting each and every one in the head. Then the normal people could have danced on the rotting corpses during the show.

AnUnintentionallyIronicRogerWaters wrote:

Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
Get them up against the wall!
There's one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me,
Get him up against the wall!
That one looks Jewish!
And that one's a coon!
Who let all of this riff-raff into the room?
There's one smoking a joint,
And another with spots!
If I had my way,
I'd have all of you shot!

Last edited by formerlyknownas on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:34 pm 

formerlyknownas wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Anti-Zionism, i.e., the denial of Israel's right to exist, can fairly be called antisemitism. What are you saying, really? "I love Jews, Jews are great, I just don't think they should have a place to live as a bulwark against the hatred that has followed them for centuries."

Don't attribute that argument to me.

I can see what you are saying, though. Anti-Zionism is a different sort of antisemitism--or, in the US, since we're so close with Israel, anti-Zionism is not something that ever struck me as something with teeth. Maybe it's different in the UK, which is significantly less Jewish than the US. I just don't understand how Waters latched on to this.

It's odd how many lefties are becoming pro-Palestine, though. Did not see that coming.

Oh, I wasn't attributing it to you. It was a royal you. Apologies.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:36 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Don't attribute that argument to me.

It's odd how many lefties are becoming pro-Palestine, though. Did not see that coming.

Oh, I wasn't attributing it to you. It was a royal you. Apologies.

Ain't no thing.

Last edited by formerlyknownas on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:48 pm 

Okay, what do you say we edit/delete that whole exchange for clarity and posterity.