It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Josh Rosen
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:17 am 

Speaking Truth to Power

UCLA QB Josh Rosen has spoken his mind again! Whenever that happens, someone latches onto a small part of what he said, then yells about it.

The most recent quote, from a Bleacher Report interview that's since been chopped into tiny bits for memes, tweets, and the radio:

Look, football and school don't go together. They just don't. Trying to do both is like trying to do two full-time jobs. There are guys who have no business being in school, but they're here because this is the path to the NFL. There's no other way. Then there's the other side that says raise the SAT eligibility requirements. OK, raise the SAT requirement at Alabama and see what kind of team they have. You lose athletes and then the product on the field suffers.
That's a fair critique of the strange path to a football career, which is forcibly connected to academia just because that's the way it's always been. The Alabama part was perceived as a jab, and maybe he shouldn't have used a specific team's name, but take it literally: Alabama would be worse at football if it had significantly higher academic standards, just as any other team would.

It was also perceived by some as whining about the workload, but it's pretty clearly not, unless it's read in bad faith.

We don't have to agree with everything he's saying to acknowledge his opinions are valid. It's also not the first time he's voiced these concerns. From nearly a calendar year earlier, with CBS Sports:

I really want you to write this. I feel very strongly.

It's absolutely too much to be considered an amateur [sport]. I love coach [Jim] Mora to death, but if they want to call it an amateur sport, hire amateur coaches, don't have TV deals. Don't have 100,000 people in the stands and don't sell tickets.

People say, 'You're just being an ignorant rich kid.' I understand I come from affluence and a privileged family, but no one who is at risk is going to speak out.

I don't give a shit if I'm going to be taken care of with money that comes into college football. The whole idea [is] leaving a place better than you found it.
His long answers just don't work when broken up into single phrases, but he's also tried being terse. A few months earlier was this IG, which is still up, of himself golfing at one of then-candidate Trump's golf courses in a "Fuck Trump" hat.

He later told SI:

I don’t regret posting the photo at all, because personally I thought it was hilarious. I want people to know I’m a real person, that I don’t have someone running my Instagram, I don’t have someone prewriting all of my interviews and stuff. With Trump, I’m learning to evolve my message and understand how to convey the substance of it.
(Many of us are still working on the substance-processing part.)

That Trump one set off Mora, who told Rich Eisen shortly afterward:

I’ve asked him this: I’ve said, ‘Who do you want to be? Do you want to be Johnny Manziel, or do you want to be Tom Brady? And you need to make that decision right now, and you need to start working in the direction that you want to work in. So, if you’re going to go out on Donald Trump’s golf course and wear a hat that says ‘F Trump,’ I said, ‘You’re heading towards Johnny Manziel.’ So, let’s head toward Peyton Manning. Let’s head towards Tom Brady. Let’s head towards Troy Aikman.’
College student Manning was accused of sexual harassment, which led to multiple lawsuit settlements, but that's beside Mora's point, which is that hats shouldn't have cuss words, I think.

One time Rosen definitely should've worded things more carefully was when he implied Texas A&M's crowd wouldn't be much louder than a crowd of 50,000. What it seemed he'd meant to express was that the human ear can only take in so much noise, but Aggie fans gave him hell anyway.

Rosen will always be himself. Look no further than that time he, as a five-star freshman, changed the game by having a hot tub in his dorm room, until someone realized there needed to be a rule against that.

Oh, and he's really good at football.

Post subject: Re: Josh Rosen
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
you mean college football is just a scam? who would have known?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:27 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
you mean college football is just a scam? who would have known?
Why was that your takeaway?

I think the players should be compensated beyond the value of a scholarship and cost of living but I don't think he said it was a scam.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:30 am 

There are guys who have no business being in school,

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:31 am 

Look, football and school don't go together. They just don't. Trying to do both is like trying to do two full-time jobs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:32 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
That describes a lot of college freshman who will be starting in the next few months.

However, if we want to raise the entrance requirements then I'm cool with that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:34 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
That describes a lot of college freshman who will be starting in the next few months.

Once football is all but extinct and relegated to illegal underground rings like cockfighting, this wont even be an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:35 am 

getting rid of the phony majors and severely limiting the hours/week on football related activities might be a start.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:36 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
Look, football and school don't go together. They just don't. Trying to do both is like trying to do two full-time jobs.
That's a little vague. Lots of these guys graduate in 3 years. They also balance coursework out so the fall is less of a grind and they almost all take summer classes. They also basically all have 5 years to finish 4 years worth of coursework.

It's no doubt a difficult thing to balance especially in the fall for football.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:37 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
getting rid of the phony majors and severely limiting the hours/week on football related activities might be a start.
I agree on the majors.

The hours are limited though especially for 2/3rds of the school year. Also, at big time places they are given vast resources to help them academically.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:40 am 

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/a ... mum-of-20/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:47 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Hatchetman wrote:

Shots fired at Purdue students...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:48 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Once football is all but extinct and relegated to illegal underground rings like cockfighting, this wont even be an issue.

I'm thinking within the next 20 years or so.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:48 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/aug/21/ncaa-only-allows-football-players-a-maximum-of-20/
Did you read that? The 50 number is a gross misrepresentation as it includes built in study time, traveling, and gamedays. The study time and traveling time work in parallel with the ability to study. I knew guys in college who were on the football team and they said they never had to do homework outside of the football study time because they got tutors and other help. So, we are talking about 50 hours a week + class time of about 15 hours for a total of 65 hours for both school and football. That's in season too. It's probably cut down to 20-30 hours a week in the other 2/3rds of the year.

To put it another way, it isn't really that much different than the workload for a guy who goes to school full time and works in the cafeteria for dinner service 5 days a week too. In the fall, it is worse, and in the rest of the year, it is better.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:49 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

That sounds pretty cool. It would make it even more exciting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:56 am 

Never had to do homework! Problem solved! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:57 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
Never had to do homework! Problem solved! :lol:
Read again please.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:59 am 

That's just BS. I know football players too. One that played in the NFL. At NU, the academic experience was nothing like it was for the rest of us.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:01 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
That's just BS. I know football players too. One that played in the NFL. At NU, the academic experience was nothing like it was for the rest of us.
I don't know what you mean.

The players I knew got almost all of their homework done on road trips and in the study tables provided by the school. That is part of the 50 hour work week you cited.

What is BS? Northwestern may have been different.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/aug/21/ncaa-only-allows-football-players-a-maximum-of-20/
Did you read that? The 50 number is a gross misrepresentation as it includes built in study time, traveling, and gamedays. The study time and traveling time work in parallel with the ability to study. I knew guys in college who were on the football team and they said they never had to do homework outside of the football study time because they got tutors and other help. So, we are talking about 50 hours a week + class time of about 15 hours for a total of 65 hours for both school and football. That's in season too. It's probably cut down to 20-30 hours a week in the other 2/3rds of the year.

To put it another way, it isn't really that much different than the workload for a guy who goes to school full time and works in the cafeteria for dinner service 5 days a week too. In the fall, it is worse, and in the rest of the year, it is better.

Possibly, but there's also the wear on your body and the fact that if you're on scholarship and get hurt, it's "Farewell and adieu to you Spanish Ladies..."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:05 am 

They took the simplest classes and the tutors did most of the work for them. Only the most exceptional could have been an English, History, Math major, etc. There are exceptional guys but BY FAR they were Communication Studies or Life Science majors or something. It is not the same education for 90% of them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:07 am 

formerlyknownas wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Possibly, but there's also the wear on your body and the fact that if you're on scholarship and get hurt, it's "Farewell and adieu to you Spanish Ladies..."
That's not even completely true. You can now get a guaranteed scholarship for four years but even before that most big time schools let you finish out your scholarship due to a medical hardship and it didn't count against the limit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:13 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
They took the simplest classes and the tutors did most of the work for them. Only the most exceptional could have been an English, History, Math major, etc. There are exceptional guys but BY FAR they were Communication Studies or Life Science majors or something. It is not the same education for 90% of them.
I know in general most players end up in easier majors but many of them would have ended up in similar majors anyways. I chose a time consuming major and would have struggled to do a job at the same time too. If I wanted to play football I would have done a different one. We all make choices.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Hatchetman wrote:

I didn't see any in my c level classes. Intro to philosophy on the other hand.