It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CBS Radio Las Vegas!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:35 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The Golden Knights are not to be discussed on their Las Vegas sports talk station because they don't hold the rights. YER DEAD TA ME!

http://www.ronfutrell.com/las-vegas-rad ... -coverage/

Quote:
To: @CR Las Vegas All Employees

Just wanted to pass along this info….a decision has been made that effective immediately, there are to be no further mentions of the Las Vegas Golden Knights hockey team on any CBS/LV radio stations or any of our social media platforms. This includes, but not limited to, on sale ticket mentions, player/coaches interviews, plugging locals to sing national anthem, TV broadcast schedule, etc. It is now the responsibility of the Golden Knights’ chosen radio partner to help accomplish their goals, not ours. We are asking you to include ‘show’ pages, as well. We need to show a united front on this issue. If you have anything already planned around the team, please cancel. If you have any ‘best of’ bits around the team, please do not air and find another piece of content.

Senor Columnist wrote:
I...have...never been more proud to work for...a corporation that, whether here or in other markets, (sigh) does the right damn thing.

Post subject: Re: CBS Radio Las Vegas!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Synergy! Makes you wonder what goes on at CBS Chicago.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:02 pm 

They've probably resented the Blackhawks ever since they inherited the rights from WMAQ.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:04 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
How long do you think it will take for the Las Vegas Golden Knights to end up in one of the many pawn shops in/around Las Vegas?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
makes you wonder about sox/blackhawks talk on WSCR.... not that I really want a lot of either of those things, but if they are willing to do it in vegas, why not here?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:14 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
How long do you think it will take for the Las Vegas Golden Knights to end up in one of the many pawn shops in/around Las Vegas?

In a just world, five years, but the NHL is very stubborn about protecting its failing warm-weather markets while telling northern teams not to let the door hit their ass on the way out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:59 pm 

Shoutout rescinded, they backed down like a bitch. Meanwhile, WSCR, a station of principles, will courageously continue to feud with the Blackhawks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Sounds like Tony Perlongo won't be around very longo.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:19 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
"First and only?" How dare they forget the Las Vegas Posse from the CFL's feeble US expansion phase.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
KDdidit wrote:
"First and only?" How dare they forget the Las Vegas Posse from the CFL's feeble US expansion phase.

I was a Baltimore Stallions fan. They were on ESPN2 a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:00 am 

KDdidit wrote:

I believe they had an XFL team also.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
No clue why this would've deserved a shoutout ... unless it was a sarcastic one, in which case bully for you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:22 am 

Half sarcasm, half genuinely glad this stupid Las Vegas expansion team was going to be consciously unacknowledged in its own town.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:00 pm 

Cox Cable, the main cable provider in southern Nevada, does not and probably will not carry AT&T Sports Rocky Mountain, the RSN that will air the Golden Knights. They'll be readily available in Wyoming and Utah, though, so that's peachy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
That makes no sense.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:54 pm 

It makes perfect sense: the RSN's only other properties are the Colorado Rockies and Utah Jazz, and the Rockies are blacked out in southern Nevada (dunno about the Jazz, they used to sublease home games to Las Vegas in the '80s, but I suspect the Lakers and Clippers claim Las Vegas now). You're asking all Vegas-area cable subscribers to pay an exorbitant carriage fee for an NHL team, hardly a mass-appeal product, and shit else. The cable provider doesn't want to deal with all that.

Unless you mean it makes no sense that the team has carriage all the way up in empty-ass Idaho but not within a 50-mile radius of the arena, in which case I agree. Maybe the smart play would have been to air the first season on a local over-the-air station as a goodwill gesture -- watch your new team for free! -- and then figure out how you're going to do pay television in a small media market with a limited capacity for sports programming.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:56 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
It makes perfect sense: the RSN's only other properties are the Colorado Rockies and Utah Jazz, and the Rockies are blacked out in southern Nevada (dunno about the Jazz, they used to sublease home games to Las Vegas in the '80s, but I suspect the Lakers and Clippers claim Las Vegas now). You're asking all Vegas-area cable subscribers to pay an exorbitant carriage fee for an NHL team, hardly a mass-appeal product, and shit else. The cable provider doesn't want to deal with all that.

Unless you mean it makes no sense that the team has carriage all the way up in empty-ass Idaho but not within a 50-mile radius of the arena, in which case I agree. Maybe the smart play would have been to air the first season on a local over-the-air station as a goodwill gesture -- watch your new team for free! -- and then figure out how you're going to do pay television in a small media market with a limited capacity for sports programming.

They will cave and the games will be shown.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:08 pm 

I don't know, wasn't there a really long impasse with L.A. cable systems and the Dodgers? If a cable company has the balls to shut out the Dodgers, an NHL expansion team in Las Vegas shouldn't be too tough to play hardball with.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
I don't know, wasn't there a really long impasse with L.A. cable systems and the Dodgers? If a cable company has the balls to shut out the Dodgers, an NHL expansion team in Las Vegas shouldn't be too tough to play hardball with.

I was just going to reply with this example. I think the largest cable provider in LA still doesn't carry their channel.

This is also why Cubs TV will never happen. Do you think Comcast will add a channel that competes with their new NBC Sports Chicago?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:10 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
their new NBC Sports Chicago?

It's not new, it's the same channel (joint venture of Comcast/Cubs/Hawks/Bulls/Sox) it's been since it was launched. Comcast just changed the names of their RSNs because they might as well trade on the brand equity of NBC Sports.

But I agree that cashing out of Comcast to start a new channel that will compete with Comcast (and JERRY???) while expecting carriage on Comcast seems rather dicey to me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
their new NBC Sports Chicago?

It's not new, it's the same channel (joint venture of Comcast/Cubs/Hawks/Bulls/Sox) it's been since it was launched. Comcast just changed the names of their RSNs because they might as well trade on the brand equity of NBC Sports.

But I agree that cashing out of Comcast to start a new channel that will compete with Comcast (and JERRY???) while expecting carriage on Comcast seems rather dicey to me.

yes, I know it's the same channel under a different name. I am surprised the rebranding took this long to be honest.

I just can't see Comcast letting the Cubs get away to launch a competing channel and then granting them carriage.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:15 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

It's easier since the price is far less for this bad hockey team.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:17 pm 

With the major proviso that I don't know what AT&T Sports is charging Cox per household, the price may be higher than you think if only because the scale of NHL business is bubbling out right now. The expansion fee for the Golden Knights was half a billion. Consider that in recent years, the Thrashers sold for $170MM (actually $110MM with a made-up "relocation fee" to punish Winnipeg ownership for, uh, existing), the Lightning (plus the master lease on a public arena and some adjacent undeveloped land) sold for under $100MM, and the Stars sold for the agreement to pay off Tom Hicks's old debt.

I know there's a lot of Clippers-effect inflation at work there, but it's still completely unreasonable to believe a Las Vegas NHL team is worth that much money. So for AT&T to recoup what they paid the Golden Knights to recoup what they paid the NHL, the carriage fee may be, while not near Dodgers levels, still way too high for that market, which is not terribly wealthy and not terribly invested in what's been a barren local sports scene. So while this probably will end with Cox picking up AT&TSRM (ugh), it surely won't be at the carriage fee anyone budgeted for, which means big trouble.

I'm sure it went without saying but I'm rooting hard for the team not to be cleared in its own media market (meanwhile, they're making a big show out of claiming back-of-beyond Intermountain West territory that's closer to Calgary or Denver than Las Vegas but closest of all to not giving a shit about hockey) and for all possible setbacks they may encounter. I want this to fail.