It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Rizzo Foundation
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
BRick first arguing that Rizzo didn't actually give any of his own money. Then arguing the foundation is a family slush fund. Then arguing that Rizzo may a cheater the likes of Lance Armstrong.

My god you are cynical. I know you are a Sox fan, and all, but can't you just be pleased that something was done for the children's hospital?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:22 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
BRick first arguing that Rizzo didn't actually give any of his own money. Then arguing the foundation is a family slush fund. Then arguing that Rizzo may a cheater the likes of Lance Armstrong.

My god you are cynical. I know you are a Sox fan, and all, but can't you just be pleased that something was done for the children's hospital?

This is a guy who only skimmed what I was saying.

I think Rizzo is probably a good guy. There is a reason to be extremely skeptical of just about any athlete foundations because so many are done for many reasons which aren't exactly charitable.

You would have said the same thing to me about the Lance Armstrong foundation before.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

I think Rizzo is probably a good guy. There is a reason to be extremely skeptical of just about any athlete foundations because so many are done for many reasons which aren't exactly charitable.

You would have said the same thing to me about the Lance Armstrong foundation before.

Well short of a Sandusky like past , He's raised/ given over 4 million to a kids hospital.
I'm going to lean a lot more towards him "probably " being a good guy.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Last edited by badrogue17 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:29 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

I didn't skim anything. You posted in this thread about giving money to a children's hospital for the express purpose of providing a cynical view point of Rizzo and his foundation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:31 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

I didn't skim anything. You posted in this thread about giving money to a children's hospital for the express purpose of providing a cynical view point of Rizzo and his foundation.
He spends all that time there just for the tax write off

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:36 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
I didn't say he didn't give any of his own money. I didn't say the foundation was a family slush fund. I used the Livestrong example simply as a reference to the fact that not all charitable foundations look good when you dig deep into them.

I wouldn't say I'm cynical about athlete foundations. I just find it hard to blindly trust them when so many of them are so bad and I'm even more unlikely to put a lot of stock into the athlete that puts his name on the foundation given the things I said earlier. If you want to view it otherwise go ahead.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
:roll: Only on this board...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:51 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
:roll: Only on this board...
:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: John's
PRICK is a really BAD guy folks. Not even Chas or WallPaper Steve would shit on a children's hospital.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:54 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
PRICK is a really BAD guy folks. Not even Chas or WallPaper Steve would shit on a children's hospital.

That makes no sense.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:56 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

That makes no sense.

You have accused Rizzo and Lurie's of being involved in a Ponzie scheme. You think it's all an act? Do those kids not have cancer? My God, you are horrible.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:57 am 

Oh, it's a bit. Cool.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:58 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Oh, it's a bit. Cool.

Code:
 There is a reason to be extremely skeptical of just about any athlete foundations because so many are done for many reasons which aren't exactly charitable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:02 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Oh, it's a bit. Cool.

Code:
 There is a reason to be extremely skeptical of just about any athlete foundations because so many are done for many reasons which aren't exactly charitable.
That's true. Do you know what skeptical means?

Even with that I never said a negative thing about the childrens hospital.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Brick seems pro Cancer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:30 am 

Thread: Good for the Rizzo Foundation and Anthony Rizzo for giving $3.5M to Lurie Children's Hospital!

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It should be pointed out this was his foundation and not necessarily any of his money before we talk about that he is definitely a great person.

Thread: It's still nice.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Rizzo does seem like a good guy but a large portion of these types of charities are legal money laundering operations to enrich family members and give them fun things to do in the offseason that they can do for free.

Thread: Foundation seems to be on the up and up based on their tax returns.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The foundation seems to have grown significantly since then. We really don't know.

Anyways, the major point here is that there is a lot of stuff that goes into play besides "good guy, gets money for charity" with any of these things. Don't forget that one of the biggest charities in sports history was the one run by Lance Armstrong. This could be the greatest thing ever but it is fair to question any of these things and not just blindly say they are a great guy for doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Thread: Good for the Rizzo Foundation and Anthony Rizzo for giving $3.5M to Lurie Children's Hospital!

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It should be pointed out this was his foundation and not necessarily any of his money before we talk about that he is definitely a great person.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Rizzo does seem like a good guy but a large portion of these types of charities are legal money laundering operations to enrich family members and give them fun things to do in the offseason that they can do for free.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The foundation seems to have grown significantly since then. We really don't know.

Anyways, the major point here is that there is a lot of stuff that goes into play besides "good guy, gets money for charity" with any of these things. Don't forget that one of the biggest charities in sports history was the one run by Lance Armstrong. This could be the greatest thing ever but it is fair to question any of these things and not just blindly say they are a great guy for doing it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:37 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Ok, blind homerism because Rizzo plays for your favorite team it is!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
She was great on the King of Queens as Spence's GF.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I wouldn't say I'm cynical about athlete foundations. I just find it hard to blindly trust them when so many of them are so bad and I'm even more unlikely to put a lot of stock into the athlete that puts his name on the foundation given the things I said earlier.

So you're cynical then?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
jimmypasta wrote:
She was great on the King of Queens as Spence's GF.

Great rack, too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:04 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I wouldn't say I'm cynical about athlete foundations. I just find it hard to blindly trust them when so many of them are so bad and I'm even more unlikely to put a lot of stock into the athlete that puts his name on the foundation given the things I said earlier.

So you're cynical then?
If you want to think I am I guess I shouldn't care.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

So you're cynical then?
If you want to think I am I guess I shouldn't care.

I think you are.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:10 pm 

A children's hospital got 3.5M because of Rizzo, right?

I dont really care how he got the money

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:10 pm 

Darkside wrote:
I think you are.
That's fine. I think cynical is a little strong for my true feelings but as I said, if someone wants to look at it that way that is fine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:13 pm 

Interesting that he "gave" the money to a hospital. Why not a private research center not connected with a medical facility?

Maybe because it's really a Cubs payoff to pressure a hospital to be able to provide the team with the latest performance enhancing drugs!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Interesting that he "gave" the money to a hospital. Why not a private research center not connected with a medical facility?

Maybe because it's really a Cubs payoff to pressure a hospital to be able to provide the team with the latest performance enhancing drugs!

At least part of it that I heard was some of the money is for accommodations and facilities to support the families of the sick kids. Not just research etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:17 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

If anyone has any damaging information that will affect Speeps professionally please pm me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:24 pm 

I'm not saying this is true for Rizzo and his Rizzo Family foundation but everyone should read this.
http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/9125446/rethink-giving-athlete-charities

Quote:
That mystery was heightened by an eye-opening report on Sunday's "Outside the Lines," which found that 74 percent of 115 athlete charities investigated fell short of acceptable nonprofit standards used by the top three charity watchdogs. Odom's charity, named for his mother, who died of cancer when Lamar was 12, was highlighted as one of the most egregious offenders.

But hey, I'm wrong to even think of it at all because Rizzo is a great player!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:30 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I'm not saying this is true for Rizzo and his Rizzo Family foundation but everyone should read this.
http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/9125446/rethink-giving-athlete-charities

Quote:
That mystery was heightened by an eye-opening report on Sunday's "Outside the Lines," which found that 74 percent of 115 athlete charities investigated fell short of acceptable nonprofit standards used by the top three charity watchdogs. Odom's charity, named for his mother, who died of cancer when Lamar was 12, was highlighted as one of the most egregious offenders.

But hey, I'm wrong to even think of it at all because Rizzo is a great player!

He's white. It's cool.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next