http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/09/ ... ey-floods/

"i'm a farmer"--Max Yasgur
"we love farmers"--The Duck of Death

#MaAndPaKettle

"One guy lays the pipe, the other guy smokes it"--Clint Eastwood

Post subject: Re: Farmer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Mariano's
Max Yasgur. USA's most famous farmer. (RIP)

"we love Max"--Rusty Staub
"why do birds sing so gay"--Frankie

#LemonadeApples

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:58 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
GO CRAZY!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Farmers What!!! Farmers What!!!
I'm ready we're ready!!!
I think I'm gonna bomb a town . . . get down!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:58 pm 

"But above that, the important thing that you've proven to the world is that a half a million kids--and I call you kids because I have children that are older than you--a half million young people can get together and have three days of fun and music and have nothing but fun and music, and I God Bless You for it!"--Max Yasgur

"we love farmers"--Le Grande Orange

#OrangeKush

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:01 pm 

organic farming--

#TaxAndSpend

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:10 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Caller Bob wrote:
GO CRAZY!!!

I've never seen him, it's like Alice Cooper fucked Skip Bayless.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:24 am 

312player wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
GO CRAZY!!!

Ed Farmer wrote:
Both dear friends of mine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: John's
:lol: The last two posts...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Ed and Chet must share the same hair stylist.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:55 pm 

Been sitting here for the last 45 minutes watching a Frontline show (PBS) on the struggle of the American farm & farm families.

And immediately am reminded of the same issues of the neighborhoods around here and the collapse of the steel mills on the southeast side. Same economic pressures cutting their throats, same bullshit promises about protecting the little guy with new training in the same dying professions from a bullshit guy like earl butz. And the same argument that their way of life was the American ideal.

And then the local businesses died and the holdovers began to rely on the pulpit pimps and the politicians that enriched their own golden nests.

And then the truly wealthy came in with new marketing schemes based on foreclosure prices.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:40 am 

pizza_Place: Trump Pies delivered by fwank
Regular Reader wrote:
Been sitting here for the last 45 minutes watching a Frontline show (PBS) on the struggle of the American farm & farm families.

And immediately am reminded of the same issues of the neighborhoods around here and the collapse of the steel mills on the southeast side. Same economic pressures cutting their throats, same bullshit promises about protecting the little guy with new training in the same dying professions from a bullshit guy like earl butz. And the same argument that their way of life was the American ideal.

And then the local businesses died and the holdovers began to rely on the pulpit pimps and the politicians that enriched their own golden nests.

And then the truly wealthy came in with new marketing schemes based on foreclosure prices.

"I'm a farmer"--Max Yasgur, American Hero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:26 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Regular Reader wrote:

Some of these towns/areas got hit from both directions too. You look At Kewanee which had all of these foundries back in the day and them closing with the emptying of the countryside and towns all over are basically devoid of small business. It’s all before my time but you see the abandoned home sites and store fronts or talk to the old timers about the 50’s and 60’s and it’s changed and it’s not ever coming back.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:17 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Some of these towns/areas got hit from both directions too. You look At Kewanee which had all of these foundries back in the day and them closing with the emptying of the countryside and towns all over are basically devoid of small business. It’s all before my time but you see the abandoned home sites and store fronts or talk to the old timers about the 50’s and 60’s and it’s changed and it’s not ever coming back.

Addressing the commonalities between the communities is probably the last best hope for the country. Starting with a frank discussion of the real economic problems that hamstring both sides.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:41 pm 

Obviously the communities have some significant differences and some insignificant ones as well but I pretty much agree with you here. Of course I’m an optimist who tends to think if people in general focused on commonalities things would be a whole lot better. But perhaps I’m the fool when it comes to that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:55 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Obviously the communities have some significant differences and some insignificant ones as well but I pretty much agree with you here. Of course I’m an optimist who tends to think if people in general focused on commonalities things would be a whole lot better. But perhaps I’m the fool when it comes to that.

See the funny thing is that knowing a Dr. Ken and having exchanges with you and others here, I, an urban liberal is now sincerely interested in the economic issues affecting the farming communities.

And giving a damn.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:35 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

See the funny thing is that knowing a Dr. Ken and having exchanges with you and others here, I, an urban liberal is now sincerely interested in the economic issues affecting the farming communities.

And giving a damn.

Ah, ya gotta drive the Great State! I love doing that. It's beautiful if you like farmscapes . . . and can ignore what it looked like 200 years ago . . . and the dead towns. Actually, it can be pretty depressing sometimes. Still cool.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:59 am 

Ever driven through Elmira? I’m not sure it’s still standing but the town seemed to consist of a run down church and a half burnt down church and a cluster of homes that have seen better days.

Driving back from the Deep South this spring my wife wanted to go see fort Cairo as my middle son has been on a General Grant Kick and we had stopped at Vicksburg and a few other sights during our chase if warner weather (it failed, I’m going to the damn equator next time). Anyhow, nothing left of the fort in Cairo but that town.. Well, has seen better days.

Had an old timer that told me of how Kewanee was going to have a Purina plant back in 70s or early 80’s. The city was basically run by the steel foundries who made boilers and pipes and they colluded to keep wages down. Purina said they were going to pay 10-15% more and all of the sudden there were zoning problems and permits and all that. Purina pulled out, foundries are closed. Old dude tells me it killed the town. I’m not sure the town is dead or would have survived the steel plants closing but might of weathered it better.

It’s the towns that are taking the brunt. Neighbor told me he could stand on his front porch and count 12 homesteads that no longer existed within his eye sight. These people went to schools, showed st stores and so on. when people tell me mineral Illinois had an ice cream place, two diners and two gas stations before the interstate system I find it hard to believe.

I don’t think I would have cared much before moving here. I was unaware, maybe it was because I didn’t know the people I know now, maybe it was because I was a jackass suburban kid who needed to work on himself a bit. The more you know people, the more you understand them and generally, the more you care for them.

That being said.. there are some things I’ll ever understand. Like the truck brand loyalty fights.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:09 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
312player wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
GO CRAZY!!!

kinda got a little Joel Osteen going on too

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:30 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Ever driven through Elmira? I’m not sure it’s still standing but the town seemed to consist of a run down church and a half burnt down church and a cluster of homes that have seen better days.

Driving back from the Deep South this spring my wife wanted to go see fort Cairo as my middle son has been on a General Grant Kick and we had stopped at Vicksburg and a few other sights during our chase if warner weather (it failed, I’m going to the damn equator next time). Anyhow, nothing left of the fort in Cairo but that town.. Well, has seen better days.

Had an old timer that told me of how Kewanee was going to have a Purina plant back in 70s or early 80’s. The city was basically run by the steel foundries who made boilers and pipes and they colluded to keep wages down. Purina said they were going to pay 10-15% more and all of the sudden there were zoning problems and permits and all that. Purina pulled out, foundries are closed. Old dude tells me it killed the town. I’m not sure the town is dead or would have survived the steel plants closing but might of weathered it better.

It’s the towns that are taking the brunt. Neighbor told me he could stand on his front porch and count 12 homesteads that no longer existed within his eye sight. These people went to schools, showed st stores and so on. when people tell me mineral Illinois had an ice cream place, two diners and two gas stations before the interstate system I find it hard to believe.

I don’t think I would have cared much before moving here. I was unaware, maybe it was because I didn’t know the people I know now, maybe it was because I was a jackass suburban kid who needed to work on himself a bit. The more you know people, the more you understand them and generally, the more you care for them.

That being said.. there are some things I’ll ever understand. Like the truck brand loyalty fights.

Cairo is fucking devastated. That was a good-sized town, too. Really depressing. I don't even think anything is open in Mineral. I love going through there and taking photos, but there's nothing. It's a two-minute excursion.

I guess things change. And it's not like they were perfect before. Still, it's unsettling, because everything gets chewed up and discarded.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:42 am 

tommy wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Cairo is fucking devastated. That was a good-sized town, too. Really depressing. I don't even think anything is open in Mineral. I love going through there and taking photos, but there's nothing. It's a two-minute excursion.

I guess things change. And it's not like they were perfect before. Still, it's unsettling, because everything gets chewed up and discarded.

The diner on 6 is open. Elevator too as well as library and post office on limited hours. Beyond that.. nope. I bet I’ve waved to you as I drove by you on one of your visits. Probably gave a second look if I saw you taking pictures of an old crib.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Driving through rural Illinois these days can be depressing, personally. Many of the small towns are dead. I think back to when I was really young and driving through some of these older "downtowns" was really neat, and there was activity, and there were other kids in the street. When I worked for a rural highway dept. even 15 years ago, you could still see some remnants of these places every day as we drove through the small towns, but it's really bad now. It actually makes me pretty sad to see some of them and think about what they used to be. Galesburg in particular. I had a lot of fond memories at the mall in Galesburg... it was relatively small, but it was always filled with people. I think it might have one store left open now.

Then again, I don't know that there was any stopping a lot of it. Globalization was taking hold, and this seemed to be one of the inevitable effects. I suppose we just have to appreciate rural America for what it once was and accept what it has become. There are still some pockets that are doing okay through agriculture or other industries that haven't been hurt, but I don't think it will ever be what it once was.

The town of 200 people I grew up in will be dead in another 30 years. There aren't many people under 60 living there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:22 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Regular Reader wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Addressing the commonalities between the communities is probably the last best hope for the country. Starting with a frank discussion of the real economic problems that hamstring both sides.

Well said.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Regular Reader wrote:

Completely agree. Most don't think of the similarities, but they're certainly there.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
leashyourkids wrote:
Driving through rural Illinois these days can be depressing, personally. Many of the small towns are dead. I think back to when I was really young and driving through some of these older "downtowns" was really neat, and there was activity, and there were other kids in the street. When I worked for a rural highway dept. even 15 years ago, you could still see some remnants of these places every day as we drove through the small towns, but it's really bad now. It actually makes me pretty sad to see some of them and think about what they used to be. Galesburg in particular. I had a lot of fond memories at the mall in Galesburg... it was relatively small, but it was always filled with people. I think it might have one store left open now.

Then again, I don't know that there was any stopping a lot of it. Globalization was taking hold, and this seemed to be one of the inevitable effects. I suppose we just have to appreciate rural America for what it once was and accept what it has become. There are still some pockets that are doing okay through agriculture or other industries that haven't been hurt, but I don't think it will ever be what it once was.

The town of 200 people I grew up in will be dead in another 30 years. There aren't many people under 60 living there.

There is a guy on the board who knows the right answer to pretty much everything that can fix this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:48 am 

When I was a kid, the family went down to rural Alabama for reunions every few years. Even then I couldn't see why the little towns had town squares, as nothing went on down there. I have no idea what my family grew down there back then, but I do know that a switch to catfish "farming" saved the family and the land.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:55 am 

leashyourkids wrote:

That about says it all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:44 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Yup. My wife and I drove to Quincy for a wedding two years ago, and going down there we took I-55 to McLean, and then 136 over to 24. Depressing is the perfect way to describe most of the "towns" we drove through.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.