It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ta-Nehisi Coates
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
leashyourkids wrote:
This article is complete bullshit. For many years, I considered myself a liberal. But I, like many others, am tired of being told how awful I am simply for being white. There are tons of whites who recognize the fact that we have advantages in life and don't deny it. Yet somehow we need to be beaten over the head until we are zombies who hate ourselves for the "misfortune" of our birth as white people.

I'm down to help fight for equal rights for the oppressed, but it makes it hard when some mythical "whiteness" label tells me at every turn that my opinion doesn't matter.

The area I grew up in is pretty fucking poor. But it's rural poor, so according to Liberal royalty (aka the Clintons), it's not really poor. That shit gets exhausting, and it does nothing but alienate a good number of people, including many who are willing to fight the good fight. At its core, it's the definition of racism.

:salut: :salut: :salut:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:30 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
@LTG: I don't want to quote everything as to muck up the thread, but here's my response:

Any even semi-educated white person realizes all of what you said. I realize that when a cop gives me shit for eating ice cream in a hotel parking lot, I can tell him to get fucked without being arrested. I realize that I'm less likely to be pulled over in the first place. I realize that I'm given more benefit of the doubt in society than any black man (all things being equal otherwise).

The part where I think you and others are off is that most white people realize these things. I'm not saying they all do, but most do.

And I think that far too frequently, if a white person isn't some sort of self-deprecating racial activist, they are seen as not understanding this, and that's completely unfair. Most reasonable white people have to do the same things most reasonable black people do - get up, go to work, talk shit about co-workers, come home, laugh at Trump, and go to bed after numbing their daily concerns with a glass of hooch.

Those same white people are cognizant of the fact that their life is at least slightly priveliged due to their whiteness. But that doesn't change the fact that they're dry humping the American Dream and getting less out of it than they thought they would, regardless of race.

Now, they may be getting less out of it than they thought for a variety of reasons. Maybe they're not as financially independent as they thought they'd be. Maybe their grocery bill is still 50% of their income despite all the advertisements and sitcoms that made them think they'd be Kings. Maybe their deadbeat brother-in-law borrowed money and skipped town. Maybe their child has a debilitating disease that they cope with every day.

The point is that everyone deals with immense troubles, whether they live in a white picket "everything is great here" fence of a facade or they live in a shitty bungalow on the South side or they live in a beat-to-fuck trailer that they inherited from their aunt who raised them in Galesburg, Illinois.

So, imagine how those trailer-dwellers or those semi-suburban parents with sick kids feel when they're constantly bombarded with messages about how they are priveliged. Their lives fucking suck too, and yet they constantly have to be told how they don't really know what it's like to live an underpriveliged life. You would also be irate.

Lastly, what does constantly shaming white people do? "Whiteness" isn't going to disappear, nor should it. MANY white people face the same trials and tribulations as minorities.

You know what would solve it? If we just judged everyone on an individual basis and had an understanding that some ethnic groups - on average - have to overcome a bit more to get to where they are... and we continue, within reason, to eliminate that gap that separates those groups.

Blaming white people constantly only works to undermine the overall goal.

I think in the article Coates did choose to look at it on an Individual basis though. That is where I think some are misreading him. He is discussing how Trump benefitted from whiteness. It wasn't really an assessment of all whites as whiteness pertains to them. It was an assessment of how whiteness benefitted Trump. It is not going to benefit all or probably most in the way that it benefitted him.

Leash I agree with about a consolidation of the races along economic lines but I have found in my limited research that there is an unwillingness to do it. I won't assess blame but I will say is that there is an unwillingness. You find that when you view it from the construct of economics you find that people have more in common than they know. That being the case there still is a division. Each side believes that the other is attempting to prevent it from attaining its share of the American dream. Both sides would do much better if they realized that they were being exploited from the top. They don't. I could actually tie this to American history also but it'd take too long.

Last edited by long time guy on Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
leashyourkids wrote:
This article is complete bullshit. For many years, I considered myself a liberal. But I, like many others, am tired of being told how awful I am simply for being white. There are tons of whites who recognize the fact that we have advantages in life and don't deny it. Yet somehow we need to be beaten over the head until we are zombies who hate ourselves for the "misfortune" of our birth as white people.

I'm down to help fight for equal rights for the oppressed, but it makes it hard when some mythical "whiteness" label tells me at every turn that my opinion doesn't matter.

The area I grew up in is pretty fucking poor. But it's rural poor, so according to Liberal royalty (aka the Clintons), it's not really poor. That shit gets exhausting, and it does nothing but alienate a good number of people, including many who are willing to fight the good fight. At its core, it's the definition of racism.

Welcome to the Cynical Liberal Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
leashyourkids wrote:

How is the article complete bullshit? None of what you wrote after that really pertains to the article specifically.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
long time guy wrote:
He is discussing how Trump benefitted from whiteness.

Trump benefitted from having money and the knowledge and skills to make more (or at least the knowledge to make it seem like he's a billionaire). His whiteness is relevant, but his money is what's really relevant.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:15 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Why can't it just be that Hillary is horrible at running for office? Her one win was gift wrapped because of medical issues to her opponent. She let a no name like Obama not only beat her but by a significant margin. She had a tough battle with a guy who wasn't even a Democrat. She lost to a moron who probably didn't want to win.

I think it becomes pretty obvious that is why Trump won when his approval rating went so low so fast.

I'd say it's both. The Hillary thing lost the moderates. His base though.... well that's an entirely different discussion altogether

Trumps base was always voting Republican. Do we think they voted for Obama?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:56 am 

anytime i see the word "polemicist" i think of jagbags like ann coulter. i wouldn't necessarily put coates in that category but he clearly has a lot of anger...and you can't be progressive if you're angry. that's where i think the misplaced rhetoric is damaging. if you're a self-proclaimed liberal, you live by being progressive. you look past the shouting and the hate and you try to find the soft middle, to expand on peace and create balance.

i don't see that from "the left"...or alt-left, as i see it. it's just anger, just like the alt-right is. it's not going to change anything. the notion "rubbing our faces in it", is fair criticism. no one wants shit rubbed in their face, doesn't matter if it's good for them or not. it isn't going to resonate just because you shout the loudest.

where i see the biggest problem with trump is that he feeds off that kind of negativity. he claims he wants to "bring people together", but he's allowed a platform for absolutist ideology. "fake news" isn't just a (nauseating) buzzword. it's a way to shut the system down.

the media certainly fuels his fire. he acts like he hates the media, but he must love the publicity. that's all he's ever been about, going back decades. he wants the image of success, the image of the model businessman. but, at least i thought, everyone knows he's a con man. he's a bad used car salesman.

now that he's in office, you just see more shouting, more anger, and no balance. whether it be from so-called liberals (i refuse to refer to them as such), or conservatives, or alt-whatever...it's just more bullshit. anger bullshit. it is no different than listening to a chorus of junkyard dogs barking.

that's why i tune most of it out. come out with a clear message, and i'll listen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:05 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Doesn't pretty much every therapist, religion, self help guru say you have to let go of the anger? Well except for the Dark Side.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:14 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Why can't it just be that Hillary is horrible at running for office? Her one win was gift wrapped because of medical issues to her opponent. She let a no name like Obama not only beat her but by a significant margin. She had a tough battle with a guy who wasn't even a Democrat. She lost to a moron who probably didn't want to win.

I think it becomes pretty obvious that is why Trump won when his approval rating went so low so fast.

I'd say it's both. The Hillary thing lost the moderates. His base though.... well that's an entirely different discussion altogether

Trumps base was always voting Republican. Do we think they voted for Obama?

Right.

I dont think the article is arguing, "we could have won if not for racism". It seems more like an explanation of how we got such a previously unthinkable position of having a guy like Trump as President.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:53 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
W_Z wrote:
alt-left

Come on, you know better.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:55 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Right.

I dont think the article is arguing, "we could have won if not for racism". It seems more like an explanation of how we got such a previously unthinkable position of having a guy like Trump as President.
I think it was saying that Trump won because of racism. In reality, he won because Hillary couldn't get enough voters who voted for Obama.

If it was Obama vs. Trump then Obama would have destroyed him.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:57 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Right.

I think it was saying that Trump won because of racism. In reality, he won because Hillary couldn't get enough voters who voted for Obama.

How was a reality tv host able to rise up to the nomination in the first place?

I think it's a more valid argument about how he won the GOP nomination than the General.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:02 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

I think it's a more valid argument about how he won the GOP nomination than the General.
That's true. I just think it was a case of celebrity and people buying into the Trump brand. He may have captured the "birther" people too but those people weren't voting for Hillary no matter who the Republicans put up anyways.

The DNC made a mistake not getting Biden to run against Hillary. I think he would have shown her flaws early enough that they could either correct them or nominate him instead.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

That's true. I just think it was a case of celebrity and people buying into the Trump brand. He may have captured the "birther" people too but those people weren't voting for Hillary no matter who the Republicans put up anyways.

The DNC made a mistake not getting Biden to run against Hillary. I think he would have shown her flaws early enough that they could either correct them or nominate him instead.

It wasn't his turn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:03 pm 

And now we're stuck with a hyperbolic idiot surrounded by apparatchiks of the profanely wealthy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:07 pm 

long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
@LTG: I don't want to quote everything as to muck up the thread, but here's my response:

Any even semi-educated white person realizes all of what you said. I realize that when a cop gives me shit for eating ice cream in a hotel parking lot, I can tell him to get fucked without being arrested. I realize that I'm less likely to be pulled over in the first place. I realize that I'm given more benefit of the doubt in society than any black man (all things being equal otherwise).

The part where I think you and others are off is that most white people realize these things. I'm not saying they all do, but most do.

And I think that far too frequently, if a white person isn't some sort of self-deprecating racial activist, they are seen as not understanding this, and that's completely unfair. Most reasonable white people have to do the same things most reasonable black people do - get up, go to work, talk shit about co-workers, come home, laugh at Trump, and go to bed after numbing their daily concerns with a glass of hooch.

Those same white people are cognizant of the fact that their life is at least slightly priveliged due to their whiteness. But that doesn't change the fact that they're dry humping the American Dream and getting less out of it than they thought they would, regardless of race.

Now, they may be getting less out of it than they thought for a variety of reasons. Maybe they're not as financially independent as they thought they'd be. Maybe their grocery bill is still 50% of their income despite all the advertisements and sitcoms that made them think they'd be Kings. Maybe their deadbeat brother-in-law borrowed money and skipped town. Maybe their child has a debilitating disease that they cope with every day.

The point is that everyone deals with immense troubles, whether they live in a white picket "everything is great here" fence of a facade or they live in a shitty bungalow on the South side or they live in a beat-to-fuck trailer that they inherited from their aunt who raised them in Galesburg, Illinois.

So, imagine how those trailer-dwellers or those semi-suburban parents with sick kids feel when they're constantly bombarded with messages about how they are priveliged. Their lives fucking suck too, and yet they constantly have to be told how they don't really know what it's like to live an underpriveliged life. You would also be irate.

Lastly, what does constantly shaming white people do? "Whiteness" isn't going to disappear, nor should it. MANY white people face the same trials and tribulations as minorities.

You know what would solve it? If we just judged everyone on an individual basis and had an understanding that some ethnic groups - on average - have to overcome a bit more to get to where they are... and we continue, within reason, to eliminate that gap that separates those groups.

I think in the article Coates did choose to look at it on an Individual basis though. That is where I think some are misreading him. He is discussing how Trump benefitted from whiteness. It wasn't really an assessment of all whites as whiteness pertains to them. It was an assessment of how whiteness benefitted Trump. It is not going to benefit all or probably most in the way that it benefitted him.

Leash I agree with about a consolidation of the races along economic lines but I have found in my limited research that there is an unwillingness to do it. I won't assess blame but I will say is that there is an unwillingness. You find that when you view it from the construct of economics you find that people have more in common than they know. That being the case there still is a division. Each side believes that the other is attempting to prevent it from attaining its share of the American dream. Both sides would do much better if they realized that they were being exploited from the top. They don't. I could actually tie this to American history also but it'd take too long.

Well put

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:34 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I know people have lost primaries and gone on to win the Presidency (Reagan and Bush) but it's probably a bad idea to be like "Here is our runner up from last time!"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
leashyourkids wrote:

Meh. It's a small price to pay for maintaining all of the power in the world. Let them have their mental masturbation, even play along with a few pats on the head. Throw a bone every once in awhile. Nothing will change.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Right.

Bernie would have steamrolled Trump.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:36 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
leashyourkids wrote:

If THIS bothers you imagine how it's felt to be black in America for the past 400 years or so. MANY would take what is bothering you in a heartbeat.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:38 pm 
100000 CLUB

Regular Reader wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
I have hated Trump as much as anyone I know for as long as I've known him, but I honestly think I'm going to end up supporting him after reading some of these nonsensical articles and seeing Liberals so hysterical and willing to act like anyone who doesn't despise him is a racist.

I guess that the safest way to put this is that from my kind of perspective, the article reads completely different. It, nor do I really want to completely denigrate most large groups of people. But the hysterics so many display after a frank resuscitation of a large part of American history are still baffling. And yes, I feel that his discussion is "fair", a word curiously now in heavy use by Trump supporters.

Much that he wrote is certainly honest, but the characterization that he's the one who is hysterical is misplaced imo.

Agreed.

Not sure how I missed this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Nas wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

If THIS bothers you imagine how it's felt to be black in America for the past 400 years or so. MANY would take what is bothering you in a heartbeat.

You haven't been black for 400 years. You've been black for 35 or so years. And, based on what I know of you, you've done pretty well for yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:52 pm 

312player wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Right.

Bernie would have steamrolled Trump.

He's one of two guys in history who couldn't beat Hillary.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

leashyourkids wrote:
Nas wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

You haven't been black for 400 years. You've been black for 35 or so years. And, based on what I know of you, you've done pretty well for yourself.

You're complaining about being lumped in as a racist because you're white. I don't know how often it has happened but I know it still has to be hurtful and annoying. You have every right to be upset about that.

Life as an adult hasn't been bad for me. My experiences as an adult have generally been great even when dealing with law enforcement. That being said EVERYTHING isn't always great in other areas. The good so far out weighs the bad that it makes it easy to ignore ignorance when I come face to face with it. This isn't true for all black men or black people as a whole.

I just want you to take a second and imagine how it feels to stand in the shoes of someone who doesn't look like you. I'm still considered a n?gger most places I go. No matter what good I do in life that won't change. I'm okay with that. I still occasionally see fear in the eyes of white people until I force a smile or speak if I'm not dressed "properly". Many people who look like me are automatically considered, criminals, thugs, racists, race baiters, rapist and just about any negative label you can come up with until we "prove" otherwise. We would probably kill to just occasionally be called or considered to be racist.

In 2017 we're still having conversations about fucking race and equality. Guess who wishes we didn't have to have these conversations more than you do? Fucking black people and every other minority. I would love to never have a conversation about race and equality again in my life.

If dealing with the annoyance of occasionally being considered a racists is enough to make you change your beliefs, I have to question if you really believed those things anyway.

I've met you and interacted with you enough where I don't believe that you will ultimately shift your core beliefs. I know you're a good man. I hope your post was just a little frustration.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:52 pm 
100000 CLUB

chaspoppcap wrote:
long time guy wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:
Yes with a promise it would never happen again.

ok so that excuses it I guess. Which policies have Republicans implemented which were designed to help blacks?

Don't know or really care. All I know is the party you all hitched your collective wagon to is selling you out wholesale. Care to deny?

What have republicans done to improve your life? You're probably part of the working poor they continue to bend over with wedge issues.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I've never once waivered in my beliefs. My beliefs are my beliefs, and I don't need validation from anyone. My frustration with "the Left" or whatever we want to call it does not change what I "believe" one iota. It's a separate point, and it's one that, in my mind, properly encapsulates the mindset of "Trump voters" or whatever we also want to call them (they're the people I grew up with - my friends and family).

And that point is that constantly hinting at they're racism is not only bullshit; it's going to have the opposite effect of what is intended. There are certainly racists in that group, but the majority are just people struggling to get by, like all of us do from time-to-time. They don't have time to be racist even if they were so inclined. They're busy trying to make ends meet and making sure their kids have an edible fucking lunch. Lumping them into these groups is no different than if I said inner-city people all need to get their shit together and stop complaining.

We (royal "we") need to stop blaming each other on the basis of skin color or ethnicity and realize that 90% of these issues are economic issues. We're on the same fucking team. I agree with LTG that there is resistance to believing that on both sides, but that doesn't make it any less true, and - IMO - it still remains the only way any of this gets close to being solved.

You can disagree, and I appreciate some of your kinder words, but please don't twist it to insinuate that I never believed in Liberal values. What I am stating here is the definition of Liberal values. We will never win hearts and minds if we continue to label people to specific groups. Judge the individual, not the perceived "group."

And for what it's worth, my prior posts are laced with acknowledgements of both historical and contemporary obstacles that minorities have to overcome. I just don't believe it is the caricature of the racist hillbilly that has caused these obstacles.

This is a good conversation to have. Let's be fair.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:03 pm 
100000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Coates was correct when he referenced safe spaces during racial discussions involving Trump. For instance it is much easier/safer to think of his victory as more of an Anti Hillary vote as opposed to a Pro Trump vote. It is easier to think of the birther movement as something promoted by Hillary Clinton and not him also. The vote for Trump had more to do with working class angst as opposed to racial backlash. This narrative has been consistently pushed even though post election polling showed that Hillary actually received a greater share of the vote from those making less than $50,000.

I'll grant right off the bat that the media's focus on the white working class has sucked for a plethora of reasons, including but not limited to the ones you cite. And it's more comforting for a general view of the US citizenry to continue to believe racism is something confined only to the periphery. That said, I'd suggest for much of Coates' largely white liberal centrist readership in The Atlantic and the press pundits who give him glowing reviews, it is in fact much easier to dismiss Trump voters as racists who could never have any hope of redemption.

Coates certainly understands racism as systematic, but essays like this just reinforce the current Democratic and liberal focus on racism as being a strictly individualist phenomenon and as something so ontologically primitive that it is impossible to confront at all through the dull work of coalition building and persuasion. It likewise reinforces the notion of politics consisting of good and bad people and makes the whole project of discussion disposable, with combative call-outs being a more cathartic replacement. It fits in nicely with the horrid demographic arguments so many Democratic strategists constantly trumpet, as if we just have to wait for the racist poors to die out and everything will then be hunky dory. Never mind the fact that people switched from Obama to Trump and never mind the fact that on many issues Trump is not negating but actually reinforcing Obama's legacy (which consists of the good and bad things he did in office) and never mind the fact that the main reason Hillary lost was because so many people in the Obama coalition stayed home altogether. It's instead far more comforting to believe the people failed the Democratic party and by extension the nation and that they can never be moved at all, rather than the Democratic party failing the people.

I'd suggest even Coates' work which most stridently portrays racism as systematic like the reparations essay still allows liberals this comfort because the proposal is so vague and unspecified that the main response to that essay isn't to actually advocate for reparation but instead sigh and reflect about the tragic failures of America without any change to the status quo whatsoever, most especially and importantly capitalism and the myth of meritocracy.

This is why I found the Haider essay I linked to on the first page as well as R.L. Stephens' criticism more compelling as they're about actual political action rather than the paralysis or mere reflection that so many middle and upper middle class liberals take away from his essays. Coates of course is free to write about whatever he wants and doesn't need to present a step-by-step plan for change in anything that he writes, but I worry the effect of them is that readers merely have their consciousness raised without changing any aspect of their lives at all.

I actually believe that Coates was on to something. The Republican Party has played identity politics more than anyone. When you look at the past 50 years it is they that have chosen to shun groups which help comprise "the others". They have absolutely no use for the black vote. Black politicians must take the oath of token in order to gain any traction. Immigrants are targeted lest they agree to wash dishes and cut grass first. Policies which seek to benefit minority groups are often targeted for extinction. Hate groups are often allowed to park somewhere on the fringes of the party without ever being rebuked. Their slogans often harken back to an era where lynching, racism, bigotry, and corrupted legal systems were the rule.

Republicans have rightly learned how to play the divisive game. They in essence throw rocks and hide their hands. Democrats indulge them but not enough in my book. Obama tip toed around it for 8 years and still was considered divisive by some on the right. Hillary didn't make the sale on it either. Democrats are fearful of ticking off the white working class by indulging in too much "race talk". Dates back to FDR which Coates correctly noted.

I think you ignored gis post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I get that you don't like being beaten over the head for past sins but whereas you merely talk about racism blacks have to live it. We don't have the choice of selectively choosing to discuss it. It's there and it's not just part of our past experience. It's present day also. We just elected a guy that sought to delegitimize the first black President simply because he is black. The vast majority of people on this board attempted to pooh pooh it by constantly referencing Hillary Clinton. When Coates talks about evasively handling subject matter that is it.

I would love to live in a world where I didn't have to experience it. A world Where I could simply talk about it. Frankly one of the reasons that blacks always bring up racism is because there is a tendency to sugar coat it whenever it arises. That's troublesome. either someone is telling you that it's life get over it, or they are saying that it's not as bad as you think quit overreacting,or they are denying it's racism at all. Again blacks live with this everyday. They don't have the luxury of simply discussing it.

I get what you're saying when you say that you don't want to be beaten over the head by it. It can t always be a guilt trip either. For me when I see people pooh pooh the racism of Trump as no big deal that's troubling. I don't care to hear about post racial and all that because it's false. It's phony. I would never vote for a person that expressed the level of bigotry that he displayed. It wasn't just against blacks either.

Agree with just about all of this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Coates was correct when he referenced safe spaces during racial discussions involving Trump. For instance it is much easier/safer to think of his victory as more of an Anti Hillary vote as opposed to a Pro Trump vote. It is easier to think of the birther movement as something promoted by Hillary Clinton and not him also. The vote for Trump had more to do with working class angst as opposed to racial backlash. This narrative has been consistently pushed even though post election polling showed that Hillary actually received a greater share of the vote from those making less than $50,000.

I'll grant right off the bat that the media's focus on the white working class has sucked for a plethora of reasons, including but not limited to the ones you cite. And it's more comforting for a general view of the US citizenry to continue to believe racism is something confined only to the periphery. That said, I'd suggest for much of Coates' largely white liberal centrist readership in The Atlantic and the press pundits who give him glowing reviews, it is in fact much easier to dismiss Trump voters as racists who could never have any hope of redemption.

Coates certainly understands racism as systematic, but essays like this just reinforce the current Democratic and liberal focus on racism as being a strictly individualist phenomenon and as something so ontologically primitive that it is impossible to confront at all through the dull work of coalition building and persuasion. It likewise reinforces the notion of politics consisting of good and bad people and makes the whole project of discussion disposable, with combative call-outs being a more cathartic replacement. It fits in nicely with the horrid demographic arguments so many Democratic strategists constantly trumpet, as if we just have to wait for the racist poors to die out and everything will then be hunky dory. Never mind the fact that people switched from Obama to Trump and never mind the fact that on many issues Trump is not negating but actually reinforcing Obama's legacy (which consists of the good and bad things he did in office) and never mind the fact that the main reason Hillary lost was because so many people in the Obama coalition stayed home altogether. It's instead far more comforting to believe the people failed the Democratic party and by extension the nation and that they can never be moved at all, rather than the Democratic party failing the people.

I'd suggest even Coates' work which most stridently portrays racism as systematic like the reparations essay still allows liberals this comfort because the proposal is so vague and unspecified that the main response to that essay isn't to actually advocate for reparation but instead sigh and reflect about the tragic failures of America without any change to the status quo whatsoever, most especially and importantly capitalism and the myth of meritocracy.

This is why I found the Haider essay I linked to on the first page as well as R.L. Stephens' criticism more compelling as they're about actual political action rather than the paralysis or mere reflection that so many middle and upper middle class liberals take away from his essays. Coates of course is free to write about whatever he wants and doesn't need to present a step-by-step plan for change in anything that he writes, but I worry the effect of them is that readers merely have their consciousness raised without changing any aspect of their lives at all.

I actually believe that Coates was on to something. The Republican Party has played identity politics more than anyone. When you look at the past 50 years it is they that have chosen to shun groups which help comprise "the others". They have absolutely no use for the black vote. Black politicians must take the oath of token in order to gain any traction. Immigrants are targeted lest they agree to wash dishes and cut grass first. Policies which seek to benefit minority groups are often targeted for extinction. Hate groups are often allowed to park somewhere on the fringes of the party without ever being rebuked. Their slogans often harken back to an era where lynching, racism, bigotry, and corrupted legal systems were the rule.

Republicans have rightly learned how to play the divisive game. They in essence throw rocks and hide their hands. Democrats indulge them but not enough in my book. Obama tip toed around it for 8 years and still was considered divisive by some on the right. Hillary didn't make the sale on it either. Democrats are fearful of ticking off the white working class by indulging in too much "race talk". Dates back to FDR which Coates correctly noted.

Did LTG just say black republicans are tokens? Ergo, there really can't be black republican voters?

Black Republicans have to denigrate and demean other blacks in order to be elected by Republican voters. Been part of the playbook for the past 30 years. Not exactly revelatory.

They have to say many of the same things you do. :P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

Regular Reader wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Well put

Michelle Alexander touched on that in The New Jim Crow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next