It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Adam Silver
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Isn't the Assata Shakur cop murder case highly controversial?

The physical evidence doesn't support the notion that she was shooting it out with cops, but she was holding magazines for the guns used to shoot it out with cops, which makes her party to a violent felony, and guilty of any other felonies that result from that action, like the murder of the trooper and assault of the other. People love the felony murder rule when it gets the "right" people, but not when it gets someone who had been accused of (read: indicted on) half a dozen other violent felonies including ambushing other police officers.

Idk man. A lot of bias at that trial, and there was evidence she was shot from the back with her hands up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Jbi11s wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Isn't the Assata Shakur cop murder case highly controversial?

The physical evidence doesn't support the notion that she was shooting it out with cops, but she was holding magazines for the guns used to shoot it out with cops, which makes her party to a violent felony, and guilty of any other felonies that result from that action, like the murder of the trooper and assault of the other. People love the felony murder rule when it gets the "right" people, but not when it gets someone who had been accused of (read: indicted on) half a dozen other violent felonies including ambushing other police officers.

Idk man. A lot of bias at that trial, and there was evidence she was shot from the back with her hands up.

Doesn't matter, FMR applies. If you and two other guys rob a bank, and a cop shoots at you as you lay down your weapon, and in the ensuing gunfight anyone is killed, you are guilty of murder. No bias to be had, next time just don't decide to commit armed robbery—or, in this case, carry the ammunition for other armed individuals who had displayed a penchant for violence against, specifically, police officers, especially after you yourself had been indicted for multiple armed, violent crimes, one of which was an indictment for trying to ambush police.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:26 pm 

Here is the relevant New Jersey law on the FMR (since the incident a line about terrorism has been added, but it is my understanding that this was the law at the time of the incident):

Quote:
a.Except as provided in N.J.S.2C:11-4, criminal homicide constitutes murder when:

(1)The actor purposely causes death or serious bodily injury resulting in death; or

(2)The actor knowingly causes death or serious bodily injury resulting in death; or

(3)It is committed when the actor, acting either alone or with one or more other persons, is engaged in the commission of, or an attempt to commit, or flight after committing or attempting to commit robbery, sexual assault, arson, burglary, kidnapping, carjacking, criminal escape or terrorism pursuant to section 2 of P.L.2002, c.26 (C.2C:38-2), and in the course of such crime or of immediate flight therefrom, any person causes the death of a person other than one of the participants; except that in any prosecution under this subsection, in which the defendant was not the only participant in the underlying crime, it is an affirmative defense that the defendant:

(a)Did not commit the homicidal act or in any way solicit, request, command, importune, cause or aid the commission thereof; and

(b)Was not armed with a deadly weapon, or any instrument, article or substance readily capable of causing death or serious physical injury and of a sort not ordinarily carried in public places by law-abiding persons; and

(c)Had no reasonable ground to believe that any other participant was armed with such a weapon, instrument, article or substance; and

(d)Had no reasonable ground to believe that any other participant intended to engage in conduct likely to result in death or serious physical injury.

It is important to note that in both 1972 and early 1973, Shakur had been named as a suspect in multiple violent crimes including bank robberies and a grenade attack on police officers, and was the subject of an FBI manhunt. She had been evading authorities since being booked on armed robbery charges in 1971 and released on bail.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
IMU wrote:
Wrong. This topic is now a national issue...an international issue if you consider London this morning. There are common threads connecting all of these issues being protested. The same group in America that allows cops to get away with police brutality against minorities is the same group that voted Trump in as President. That section of America is 'okay' with being divisive and discriminating. The protest is about those people...no matter their exact crime. As soon as people in positions of 'power' across the nation joined the protest...it legitimized it all. The protest is way more successful now than a year ago.

1. Bad things share a whole host of common elements, might as well protest "All Bad Things" then, right? That isn't confusing and potentially disconcerting to allies, right?

2. Do you think under-scrutinized use of deadly force by police is something that only afflicts minorities, or that somehow cops are only punished when they kill whites?

3. So it's about police brutality but it's also about people who aren't police? Who exactly is being protested and why? (Do you see yet why expanding the object of protests gets confusing and impotent pretty quickly?)

1. Yes, our society should mitigate as many bad things as possible. Racism and discrimination come from a pretty easily identified source though.... ignoramuses with influence. Drown them out or lessen their spheres of influence and you begin to resolve the issue.

2. I think it affects minorities much more, yes. I didn't think this was still disputed but then again, you are pro-[Edited]. I couldn't possibly see where you are coming from.

3. D.I.S.C.R.I.M.I.N.A.T.I.O.N.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:36 pm 

What does Nazism have to do with the discussion of groups of people impacted by police use of force?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:33 pm 

What does Nazism have to do with the discussion of groups of people impacted by police use of force?

You really are too clueless to see how discrimination and police brutality are connected? Do you have breathing instructions tattooed on your forearm in order to get through the day?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
I agree with JLN.

Kaepernick had a clear, distinct message. Taking a knee is reaching Occupy Wall Street levels where you get a bunch of people protesting about many different issues that the message becomes muddled and eventually people stop caring. Over 50 people were just killed in a spree shooting in Vegas. Spain is about to be split into two countries. North Korea is thinking about going scorched earth. Frankly, most people are going to stop caring regardless of which side they are on as there are bigger things out there. Not saying the reasons behind the protesting aren't valid, but eventually people aren't going to care about the protesting in and of itself, which also loses the importance of the message.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:37 am 

Nas wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
To be fair, I don't think it's good that Kaepernick's protest has been turned into "stick it to Donald Trump," largely by people who resented Kaepernick for not voting in the election.

I don't see it that way. Those folks are just taking a knee or protesting for a different reason. All marches generally look the same but folks are marching for different reasons. No one dismisses a domestic violence march or a cancer march because it looks similar to a march against Mike Glennon. Saying that all athletes must take a knee for the same reason is silly.

I think there is a legit reaction of you wont divide us (Trump trying to shame the protesting players and pit the other players agasint them) but unfortunately that completely swallowed the whole thing and now it's all about locking arms in unity.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
he's no Larry O'Brien!

I'm out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:45 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Nas wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
To be fair, I don't think it's good that Kaepernick's protest has been turned into "stick it to Donald Trump," largely by people who resented Kaepernick for not voting in the election.

I don't see it that way. Those folks are just taking a knee or protesting for a different reason. All marches generally look the same but folks are marching for different reasons. No one dismisses a domestic violence march or a cancer march because it looks similar to a march against Mike Glennon. Saying that all athletes must take a knee for the same reason is silly.

I think there is a legit reaction of you wont divide us (Trump trying to shame the protesting players and pit the other players agasint them) but unfortunately that completely swallowed the whole thing and now it's all about locking arms in unity.
Thankfully, because Adam Silver had decreed it, we don't have to worry about that garbage in the NBA.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:55 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Nas wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Thankfully, because Adam Silver had decreed it, we don't have to worry about that garbage in the NBA.

I'm going to lock arms with Goggles in the kitchen today.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:06 am 

No one sitting for the anthem in the NBA. Good job controlling your players Adam!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:23 pm 

Where are all my NBA people? Isn't this quite an accomplishment by the commissioner? I mean, people aren't even mad at the NBA about it and yet Jerry Jones considers benching someone for doing it and he's the worst person in the world!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Where are all my NBA people?

no one cares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:56 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Rick is right. It shows you what you can accomplish when you are a great politician.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:25 pm 

People are getting paid $40 million per year in the NBA. Pay Kaepernick, Beast Mode or Michael Bennett even $20 million a year and those guys will not only stand, but will sing the National Anthem before every game. Money buys happiness, remember. Without it, you become ornery. See Darkside, for example. The gambling mechanic of Destiny loot boxes has taken its toll. I hope he makes it out okay.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:53 pm 

I have to bump this again. Just an amazing job of shutting down speech by Adam Silver. His league is filled with players and coaches who will talk bad about the President, protest at things like the ESPYs, and try and be at the forefront of social commentary and yet this guy was able to basically say "Hey players, you will not do anything to our national anthem!" and they all got in line and said "Thank you sir".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I have to bump this again. Just an amazing job of shutting down speech by Adam Silver. His league is filled with players and coaches who will talk bad about the President, protest at things like the ESPYs, and try and be at the forefront of social commentary and yet this guy was able to basically say "Hey players, you will not do anything to our national anthem!" and they all got in line and said "Thank you sir".

NBA players are patriots. They were happy to stand and respect the flag.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
The thing is the NBA actually gives the players the sense that they're partners and takes their actual concerns seriously rather than treating them like products. Look at how Martha Ford has handled the anthem protests for the Lions compared to the rest of the league.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:03 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
The thing is the NBA actually gives the players the sense that they're partners and takes their actual concerns seriously rather than treating them like products. Look at how Martha Ford has handled the anthem protests for the Lions compared to the rest of the league.
Yet the NBA is the one with the rule that literally makes not standing for it a punishable offense! Well done Adam Silver! Oh, but you make the players feel good!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Yet the NBA is the one with the rule that literally makes not standing for it a punishable offense! Well done Adam Silver! Oh, but you make the players feel good!

Why do you think there is no public outrage that he is stifling their rights?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Stop speaking in sarcasm so it's easier to figure out what your actual point is :lol:

So even though the players don't seem to have any issue with the rule, you do?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:08 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

People love when white people stifle the rights of black people.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:56 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

People love when white people stifle the rights of black people.

Though he isn't stifling their rights, just as Twitter suspending the Remo Williams account wasn't stifling BadRogue's right to free speech.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:22 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Stop speaking in sarcasm so it's easier to figure out what your actual point is :lol:

So even though the players don't seem to have any issue with the rule, you do?

Just giving a guy credit for successfully banning his players from doing what got Kaep blackballed from the league and no one caring because he makes the players feel special!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:26 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Adam Silver essentially seized the assets of a senile old racist and made absurd fortunes for everyone who sold their teams to shithead hedge fund managers. Defeating racism never felt so good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:08 am 

The NFL supposedly made a run at him to replace Goodell. Clearly, the NFL appreciates how Adam Silver suppressed the voices of the players of his league as much as I do! Can't blame Silver for turning it down though. Can you imagine the uproar if the NFL passed a rule that fines/suspends players for not standing for the anthem?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:51 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The NFL supposedly made a run at him to replace Goodell. Clearly, the NFL appreciates how Adam Silver suppressed the voices of the players of his league as much as I do! Can't blame Silver for turning it down though. Can you imagine the uproar if the NFL passed a rule that fines/suspends players for not standing for the anthem?

What's your game, here, friend? Are you trying to say that Adam Silver isn't actually befitting his "wokest Comissioner" title because his league has a rule mandating players stand for the anthem? Or are you saying that outrage over rules mandating millionaire athletes stand for the anthem are a silly hill to die on, because Silver has shown that a commissioner and league can be regressive in its power wielding (stand for the anthem rule) but incredibly progressive in other others?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:07 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

What's your game, here, friend? Are you trying to say that Adam Silver isn't actually befitting his "wokest Comissioner" title because his league has a rule mandating players stand for the anthem? Or are you saying that outrage over rules mandating millionaire athletes stand for the anthem are a silly hill to die on, because Silver has shown that a commissioner and league can be regressive in its power wielding (stand for the anthem rule) but incredibly progressive in other others?
There are many conclusions that can be drawn but I certainly like your style.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:41 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
NBA.com is the only league website that passive-aggressively scolds me for using an ad-blocker. MONETIZE. EVERYTHING.