It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adam Silver
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:58 am 

Best commissioner in sports! Way to take control! Let the NFL be the less restrictive league!

https://deadspin.com/nba-memo-warns-teams-and-players-not-to-protest-during-1819015444

Post subject: Re: Adam Silver
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:07 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Must be pretty worried about ratings and game attendance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:23 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
Must be pretty worried about ratings and game attendance.
It's ok. Adam Silver will let the players talk before the anthem, but you respect the flag on his watch!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:38 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The NBA has identified the marketing opportunities in being the "woke" league, so I'm very surprised by this.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:07 am 

Kaepernick better avoid going to NBA games because you know that Adam Silver would love nothing more than to punch him right in the face and then choke him out with an American flag.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Curious Hair wrote:
The NBA has identified the marketing opportunities in being the "woke" league, so I'm very surprised by this.

If you want to see this movement/gesture dissipate into self-parody, let it play out 7 nights a week.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:46 am 

Someone in the Deadspin comments, in reference to Adam Silver, asked "what's Yiddish for Uncle Tom?" Very normal and healthy behavior.

People set their hopes too high on Adam Silver. Like any CEO, his job is to make money for his bosses. NO ETHICAL CONSUMPTION UNDER LATE CAPITALISM, bitches, just because Silver held Donald Sterling at gunpoint for getting caught being racist doesn't mean management and ownership are down with the cause. They made themselves a ton of money on that sale and every subsequent sale of every pro sports team (even the woeful Las Vegas NHL team went for half a billion in a post-Ballmer world). They're not dumb; they know when to put on appearances and when not to. The only way the NBA will disrespect the national anthem is by selling product placement in the lyrics.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Telegram Sam wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

If you want to see this movement/gesture dissipate into self-parody, let it play out 7 nights a week.

Yeah, already there have been a bunch of the newly-protesting NFL players who clearly don't know what exactly they're protesting, some even sounding like they've only joined in the protests because of Trump's comments, not any larger social issue.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:53 am 

Playing right into the enemy's hands: they want the protest deracinated from police brutality in specific and turned into an all-purpose "wah-wah muh freedoms, Drumpf"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:31 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Great commissioner.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Yeah, already there have been a bunch of the newly-protesting NFL players who clearly don't know what exactly they're protesting, some even sounding like they've only joined in the protests because of Trump's comments, not any larger social issue.

MANY of Kaepernick's critics don't know what he is protesting either.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nas wrote:
Great commissioner.

Yup

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Chus wrote:

:lol:

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:19 pm 

Chus wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

And that confusion isn't helped by guys who have felt compelled into protesting without a full understanding of its scope now sounding off about why and what they are protesting. After this last week, I can't decide which of the four different ostensible protests are going on at any given time: Police brutality committed against young black men with little to no scrutiny; "inequality"; Donald Trump; or Unity against Donald Trump.

This is from guys and a league that only are able to protest a few days a week, imagine NBA players trying to stay on-message night in and night out. Kaep's was the best, it was concise, it stood out, and it had a coherent endgame. Now all this kneeling stuff is so close to jumping the shark, it got close to becoming an ice-bucket-challenge style internet meme with #TakeAKnee.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Yeah, you would prefer to think that, wouldn't you?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Chus wrote:

And that confusion isn't helped by guys who have felt compelled into protesting without a full understanding of its scope now sounding off about why and what they are protesting. After this last week, I can't decide which of the four different ostensible protests are going on at any given time: Police brutality committed against young black men with little to no scrutiny; "inequality"; Donald Trump; or Unity against Donald Trump.

This is from guys and a league that only are able to protest a few days a week, imagine NBA players trying to stay on-message night in and night out. Kaep's was the best, it was concise, it stood out, and it had a coherent endgame. Now all this kneeling stuff is so close to jumping the shark, it got close to becoming an ice-bucket-challenge style internet meme with #TakeAKnee.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:52 pm 
100000 CLUB

Chus wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

They all matter. Which one did you support?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:33 am 

Nas wrote:
Chus wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

They all matter. Which one did you support?

"Support" how?

Regardless, you have a hard time saying definitively that "this protest is about [X]" when said protest is also simultaneously and at various other times about [Y], which may or may not be directly related to [X].

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:35 am 
100000 CLUB

Why does that matter to you?

When protests turn violent they say I would listen if they were peaceful. When protests are peaceful they say I would listen if they weren't shouting or interfering with my day. When protests are peaceful and silent they complain about the number of causes being protested. At some point it isn't the protests that are the problem it is you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:56 am 

To be fair, I don't think it's good that Kaepernick's protest has been turned into "stick it to Donald Trump," largely by people who resented Kaepernick for not voting in the election.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:11 am 
100000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
To be fair, I don't think it's good that Kaepernick's protest has been turned into "stick it to Donald Trump," largely by people who resented Kaepernick for not voting in the election.

I don't see it that way. Those folks are just taking a knee or protesting for a different reason. All marches generally look the same but folks are marching for different reasons. No one dismisses a domestic violence march or a cancer march because it looks similar to a march against Mike Glennon. Saying that all athletes must take a knee for the same reason is silly.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Where's that baby back bitch LeBrons response to this?

Last edited by ToxicMasculinity on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:50 am 

Nas wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I don't see it that way. Those folks are just taking a knee or protesting for a different reason. All marches generally look the same but folks are marching for different reasons. No one dismisses a domestic violence march or a cancer march because it looks similar to a march against Mike Glennon.

Except the cancer and DV marches are rendered less effective by the presence of a march against Mike Glennon. The lack of a coherent cause means you'll have cancer awareness fighting for headlines and donation dollars with those advocating Glennon's ouster.

Quote:
Saying that all athletes must take a knee for the same reason is silly.

I listened to Kaepernick's words and calls to action when he was the sole protester setting the message. I just want to laugh at the guys who are effectively protesting Donald Trump. The one group reduces the efficacy of the other's message.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Wrong. This topic is now a national issue...an international issue if you consider London this morning. There are common threads connecting all of these issues being protested. The same group in America that allows cops to get away with police brutality against minorities is the same group that voted Trump in as President. That section of America is 'okay' with being divisive and discriminating. The protest is about those people...no matter their exact crime. As soon as people in positions of 'power' across the nation joined the protest...it legitimized it all. The protest is way more successful now than a year ago.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:36 am 

IMU wrote:
Wrong. This topic is now a national issue...an international issue if you consider London this morning. There are common threads connecting all of these issues being protested. The same group in America that allows cops to get away with police brutality against minorities is the same group that voted Trump in as President. That section of America is 'okay' with being divisive and discriminating. The protest is about those people...no matter their exact crime. As soon as people in positions of 'power' across the nation joined the protest...it legitimized it all. The protest is way more successful now than a year ago.

1. Bad things share a whole host of common elements, might as well protest "All Bad Things" then, right? That isn't confusing and potentially disconcerting to allies, right?

2. Do you think under-scrutinized use of deadly force by police is something that only afflicts minorities, or that somehow cops are only punished when they kill whites?

3. So it's about police brutality but it's also about people who aren't police? Who exactly is being protested and why? (Do you see yet why expanding the object of protests gets confusing and impotent pretty quickly?)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:47 am 
100000 CLUB

None of it matters anyway because Kaepernick disrespected our military and veterans and our country and the police and firemen and wore a t-shirt and because he has a giant afro and has a woke girlfriend and he isn't a good football player and hasn't spoken about what contract he would accept and donated some money to the wrong cause.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:07 pm 

Nas wrote:
None of it matters anyway because Kaepernick disrespected our military and veterans and our country and the police and firemen and wore a t-shirt and because he has a giant afro and has a woke girlfriend and he isn't a good football player and hasn't spoken about what contract he would accept and donated some money to the wrong cause.

1. He then defended his support of the human rights-violating dictator because the literacy rate of the people under his rule. I guess supporting someone who actively oppressed, imprisoned and then threw people away like trash doesn't really matter because...those people were Cuban?

2. $15K was earmarked for teen training described as “develop and train young people, ages 4-19, in the Black queer feminist tradition and in the spirit of Assata.” Assata Shakur murdered a police officer (on top of being accused of MANY other violent crimes) and then broke out in a violent siege complete with hostages, and received political asylum in......? Cuba. From Castro. Might we know why Kaep has such an affinity for Castro, now? I'll say it explicitly: Colin Kaepernick likes Fidel Castro because Castro gave asylum to Assata Shakur, a black violent felon who murdered a white cop, and at the very least, Kaepernick is comfortable with the idea of black teens being trained to to fit the mold of someone so openly hostile and violent to cops/white people.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Isn't the Assata Shakur cop murder case highly controversial?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:11 pm 

Can we keep this thread on celebrating Adam Silver for taking a stand for our country and flag while Goodell let's his workers disrespect it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:36 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Isn't the Assata Shakur cop murder case highly controversial?

The physical evidence doesn't support the notion that she was shooting it out with cops, but she was holding magazines for the guns used to shoot it out with cops, which makes her party to a violent felony, and guilty of any other felonies that result from that action, like the murder of the trooper and assault of the other. People love the felony murder rule when it gets the "right" people, but not when it gets someone who had been accused of (read: indicted on) half a dozen other violent felonies including ambushing other police officers.