It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nikole Hannah-Jones
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
NYT writer on racial segregation in US schools. Just won MacArthur Foundation Award. https://www.macfound.org/fellows/988/

She was on Fresh Air today. http://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/2 ... ry-16-2017

Anyhow, she seems like a HERO of truth and justice.

Post subject: Re: Nikole Hannah-Jones
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Is segregation occurring in today's society because white people don't want to live around minorities or because minorities choose to live around those from similar cultures?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:14 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Is segregation occurring in today's society because white people don't want to live around minorities or because minorities choose to live around those from similar cultures?

weeelllll...I think its more the former with a touch of latter. Innerestingly, Hannah-Jones was bussed to an all white school as a kid and did not enjoy it (though she got a good education and went to Notre Dame). She sends her own kid to the local non-white elementary school in NYC.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:21 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Big Chicagoan wrote:

Most wouldn't choose to live in poverty unless they were running for mayor or just being Corey Booker.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
this reminds me of a certain 670 personality who is wokeAF but fought to keep her kid's school white.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Big Chicagoan wrote:

in my opinion, and i think there's some work that agrees with this, most non-immigrant people of color want to live in diverse areas. whites (particularly middle-class whites) are less willing to do so, partially because they don't like blacks, partially because of lingering resentment, and partially because of the financial investment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
this reminds me of a certain 670 personality who is wokeAF but fought to keep her kid's school white.

that comedian on the tayvay....samantha bee....I think she sort of did this, too. that could be alt-right propaganda, but it would sort of go with everything else i know about elite liberals.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:44 pm 

tommy wrote:
in my opinion, and i think there's some work that agrees with this, most non-immigrant people of color want to live in diverse areas. whites (particularly middle-class whites) are less willing to do so, partially because they don't like blacks, partially because of lingering resentment, and partially because of the financial investment.

I think the simple answer is that MANY diverse neighborhoods aren't that nice and most white people can afford to live somewhere nicer. MANY white people in theory are in favor of living in a diverse neighborhood but when the rubber hits the road and they look at the school test scores and the crime and the local amenities, etc, diversity is not that important to them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
tommy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

that comedian on the tayvay....samantha bee....I think she sort of did this, too. that could be alt-right propaganda, but it would sort of go with everything else i know about elite liberals.

Yeah, Julie and Samantha Bee both fought redistricting that would have ended up with their children attending schools with much more "diverse" (read: black and poor) classroom population.

Nevermind that those facts alone (affluent whites fighting school rezoning to include poor blacks) would be enough for BOTH of them to label people racist, but both—well, Bee by proxy—trotted out the tired defenses of "commute" and "test scores" as the reasoning for their pushback against the respective proposals, something actual racists fighting such things do all the time. Now, I wouldn't dare say that there isn't legitimacy in wanting to live close to a nice school and being pissed at a rather arbitrary (from your perspective) proposal that would inflate your commute, but when you spend all day on Twitter, or even have a network television show in part dedicated to, decrying perceived racism and telling white people they need to make sacrifices in their own lives to Do Good in the lives of oppressed minorities, fighting school rezoning proposals that would end up with your kids surrounded by more minorities is the worst kind of hypocrisy, even and perhaps especially if you are fighting them because of the sacrifices you as an affluent white would have to make. And this is all assuming that their resistance to the proposals wasn't actually motivated by thinly-veiled racism, which again would be hypocrisy of the highest order.