It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Martin Luther
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Curious Hair wrote:
Meh, too Nordic for me.

Come to think of it, sometimes, that can really not work out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:32 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Martin Luther was a raging Anti-Semite.

He was alone in this among medieval Europeans....lovely bunch, them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:34 pm 
Seacrest wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Sola scriptua
Sola fide
Sola gratia

Still waiting for anyone to show me where the Bible says Sola Scriptura.

The hell? The Bible IS the scriptura, ya nut.

Agreed.

We disagree on anything not scriptural. I'm still waiting for anyone to show me where the bible states that anything of a religious teaching must be only sourced from the Bible.

You're most confusing.

You mean aside from the necessary presumption on your part that the Bible wasn't complete? Your assertion, by necessity, carries the pretty clear implication that God half-assed the Bible.

I mean ... and I have to be careful here ... what you need to know is in this book .... BUT .... (sigh) .... there are other things you need to know that will be told to you all over a period of hundreds, if not in fact thousands, of years by very. smart. people.

If something is true and necessary, then it's always true and necessary - so Pope Fred saying something in 2027AD doesn't do shit for peasant Mike in 1427.

The Bible can be complete, which it is, while still making room for traditions, which there are, that carry on to this very day.

The Bible was the end of divine revelation. Not the end of all revelation.

Can you delve in that much detail into why I'm only getting into heaven if I'm Catholic and perform "good works"?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Don Tiny wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
You really think you're eating Jesus?

Of course I do.

As do I.

The idea that Jesus said what He said but really He meant something different requires a most peculiar choreography of mental gymnastics ... not to mention that He chose wine and bread, not lemonade and lady-fingers.

Science says so too.

Two eucharistic miracles 1,300 years apart show same blood type and DNA

After scientific investigation, a eucharistic miracle in Poland was recently confirmed as authentic by the local bishop of the area. Initially, the Host had fallen on the ground, so it was placed in water, as is customarily done in such cases. Not long afterward, the Eucharist began turning red, as if bloody.

Tests subsequently done on the subject indicated it came from human tissue "most similar to the heart muscle ... as it appears under the strains of agony."

The case is similar to one that occurred in Buenos Aires, Argentina years ago. In 1996, when then-Bishop Jorge Bergoglio (now Pope Francis) was an auxiliary bishop there under Cdl. Antonio Quarracino. A consecrated Host was found on the ground and soon placed in a glass of water to dissolve. Days later, the Eucharist wasn't dissolved at all — it had turned into bloody Flesh.

Cardinal Quarracino and Bp. Bergoglio took a photograph of the bloody Host for the record, then stored it in a tabernacle to decompose. In 1999, three years later, that same bloody Flesh remained. That's when Dr. Ricardo Castañón, a Bolivian neurophysiologist, was called in to have samples from the Host examined in a laboratory environment.
Doctor Castañón took it to the San Francisco Forensic Institute without telling anyone there what it was or where it came from. After testing, he was told the samples constituted heart muscle, specifically from the myocardium of the left ventricle. Further, the tests showed the blood was human, with human DNA, and of the rare AB-positive type — the same as found on the Shroud of Turin.

Following those results, the Host was taken to Dr. Frederick Zugibe, an esteemed cardiologist and forensic pathologist at Columbia University in New York. According to Dr. Castañón, Dr. Zugibe tested the samples he was given and said the person whose heart it came from must have been tortured. Further, Dr. Zugibe was reportedly amazed that when he studied the samples, they were pulsating like a living, beating heart.

When Dr. Castañón first came across the miracle in 1999, he was an atheist. Today, he's a Catholic.

After that, the results of the tests were compared to samples from another eucharistic miracle that took place in Lanciano, Italy roughly 1,300 years ago. The Body and Blood from that miracle are still preserved at a church in the town. In 1970, they were examined scientifically and, like the Buenos Aires sample, found to be from a human heart with AB-positive blood.

The miracle of Lanciano on display
The comparison indicated that the samples from both Buenos Aires and Lanciano must have come from the same man. They both had the exact same DNA.

Church leaders are always careful to test potential miracles and rule out natural causes. Last year, in Utah, a Host that had been dropped and kept in water appeared blood red after days. However, after a thorough investigation, the red substance turned out not to be blood but rather mold. So the Church isn't quick to label every case like this miraculous. But sometimes, after healthy skepticism and cautious investigation, there's no other conclusion that can be draw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:36 pm 

This is a serious question: Who do you think had a bigger schwantz: ML or MLK?

When we studied the Reformation in fifth grade, Sister Emma said that Martin Luther was "fat and real ugly."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

Seacrest wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Sola scriptua
Sola fide
Sola gratia

Agreed.

We disagree on anything not scriptural. I'm still waiting for anyone to show me where the bible states that anything of a religious teaching must be only sourced from the Bible.

You're most confusing.

You mean aside from the necessary presumption on your part that the Bible wasn't complete? Your assertion, by necessity, carries the pretty clear implication that God half-assed the Bible.

I mean ... and I have to be careful here ... what you need to know is in this book .... BUT .... (sigh) .... there are other things you need to know that will be told to you all over a period of hundreds, if not in fact thousands, of years by very. smart. people.

If something is true and necessary, then it's always true and necessary - so Pope Fred saying something in 2027AD doesn't do shit for peasant Mike in 1427.

The Bible can be complete, which it is, while still making room for traditions, which there are, that carry on to this very day.

Baby McNown wrote:
Can you delve in that much detail into why I'm only getting into heaven if I'm Catholic and perform "good works"?

Who said that you had to be Catholic to get into heaven? I'm sure Moses, Elijah and Joseph would be surprised to hear that.

And faith without good works is dead. Christianity is something we should be and do. Not something that should be reduced to a set of rules.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Seacrest wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Sola scriptua
Sola fide
Sola gratia

Agreed.

You're most confusing.

Maybe, maybe not.

What do you theorize might be revealed > today?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:28 pm 
(He's gonna keep ignoring the question about Grace 8) )

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Curious Hair wrote:
He said that transubstantiation was wrong. I mean, wasn't that obvious? You really think you're eating Jesus?

vampirism & cannibalism are the foundation of any good cult.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:38 pm 

Three pages and no one's posted the Monty Python sketch yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXzubuENjHk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Baby McNown wrote:

I wanted to go down that road off the bat, but knew it was a futile discussion. Humans are too flawed to earn their way into heaven. Only faith and with God’s grace will allow us in or so I am told by the Pastors.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:09 pm 

There's an ugly truth that isn't often brought up because it's discomforting.

Whatever the hell you think, it's all more or less a guess. Now, our guess seems reasonable enough to us (or does more often than not). The joke is, though, none of them are going to be 100%. What does that mean? I would suggest it's a low-level reminder that chances are if we've got a stray belief or two, we'll be fine. That's really the balancing act .... wondering how well we're doing then reminding ourselves we're never going to do well enough ... and it goes back and forth, back and forth, like a drunk riding a mule on a cobbled road.

I only mention it not to do anything other than state that I find it a peculiar (not to mention vain) practice to be smug about religious beliefs, whether your take is 'x' is good or bad, and so on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:53 am 
Site Admin

Baby McNown wrote:

You didn't ask about grace.

The first full translation of the bible to paper says :by faith is man saved". The word "alone" was later added by Luther.

Luther rid himself of seven books from the Bible mainly because they contradicted what he tried to change. One of the them was the epistle of St James. Because it directly contradicted what he tried to posit aas an article of faith after he took it upon himself to change the original wording of the Bible.

Maccabees was dropped because he didn't personally believe in purgatory. You get the picture.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:58 am 
Site Admin

Don Tiny wrote:

Whatever the hell you think, it's all more or less a guess. Now, our guess seems reasonable enough to us (or does more often than not). The joke is, though, none of them are going to be 100%. What does that mean? I would suggest it's a low-level reminder that chances are if we've got a stray belief or two, we'll be fine. That's really the balancing act .... wondering how well we're doing then reminding ourselves we're never going to do well enough ... and it goes back and forth, back and forth, like a drunk riding a mule on a cobbled road.

I only mention it not to do anything other than state that I find it a peculiar (not to mention vain) practice to be smug about religious beliefs, whether your take is 'x' is good or bad, and so on.

It's not a guess at all.

The Eucharist for instance is proven by science. And faith is a gift. I don't go to a Lutheran service on Sunday because it is not the same as a Catholic mass. That's not being smug, that is being thankful for the gift given to me which I do not deserve.

If you don't think that Lutheranism is God's ultimate gift, then why do it?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:58 am 

Embarrassingly, after 12 years of Catholic education, Im still not sure what the catholic position on purgatory is.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:01 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Embarrassingly, after 12 years of Catholic education, Im still not sure what the catholic position on purgatory is.

For the most part, Catholic education over the last 40 years in the Archdiocese of Chicago has been an exercise in taking money under false pretenses.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:02 am 

I do love how "science" gets embraced by religion but only in the backwards ways that ignore much of the Scientific Method.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:07 am 
Seacrest wrote:
Baby McNown wrote:

You didn't ask about grace.

The first full translation of the bible to paper says :by faith is man saved". The word "alone" was later added by Luther.

Luther rid himself of seven books from the Bible mainly because they contradicted what he tried to change. One of the them was the epistle of St James. Because it directly contradicted what he tried to posit aas an article of faith after he took it upon himself to change the original wording of the Bible.

Maccabees was dropped because he didn't personally believe in purgatory. You get the picture.

I was, and you know that, but I wasn't even expecting a real answer. :lol:

There are definite differences in beliefs. You just are very dead set that the Catholic teachings are correct and the rest of us are wrong. I disagree. That's the best part about it. It's called "faith" for a reason. If you look at Jesus teachings and message, there is nothing to indicate at all that He would have required good works to be blessed with your seat at the table in Heaven.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Don Tiny wrote:

he's been accused of sexual harassment ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:17 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

It's not a guess at all.

The Eucharist for instance is proven by science. And faith is a gift. I don't go to a Lutheran service on Sunday because it is not the same as a Catholic mass. That's not being smug, that is being thankful for the gift given to me which I do not deserve.

If you don't think that Lutheranism is God's ultimate gift, then why do it?

Good God, man .... it was a quiet if not outright oblique rebuke of Baby Mac's and denis' posts ... you really are overly-sensitive and, as a result, way too defensive even when nobody is levying any charge against you.

But, since we're here ... what is this 'science' surrounding the Eucharist of which you speak? Further, why do you care what man's science says about matters of the divine? Jesus speaks of simply accepting things as a child would, not 'trust but verify' like Reagan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:21 am 

Seacrest wrote:
The Eucharist for instance is proven by science.

Oh my god

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:32 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I do love how "science" gets embraced by religion but only in the backwards ways that ignore much of the Scientific Method.

Which religion? The one that was the keeper of Western knowledge for several centuries, the one that opened and continues to operate world class universities across the globe that includes priests and nuns on its faculty, the one that has operated a leading observatory in its headquarters that employed people like Copernicus, or the one whose priest invented the field of genetics?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:35 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Which religion? The one that was the keeper of Western knowledge for several centuries, the one that opened and continues to operate world class universities across the globe that includes priests and nuns on its faculty, the one that has operated a leading observatory in its headquarters that employed people like Copernicus, or the one whose priest invented the field of genetics?

The one that imprisoned Galileo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:37 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Do you really want to start a tally of science progress and science suppression?

But hey if you want to think the Eucharist passes for scientific proof go ahead.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:39 am 

Douchebag wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

remember, Rick said "but only in the backwards ways"

There were certainly many instances where the Catholic Church has turned its back on science in the past.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:48 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Do you really want to start a tally of science progress and science suppression?

But hey if you want to think the Eucharist passes for scientific proof go ahead.

I proved you wrong that science gets embraced by religion but only in the backwards ways that ignore the Scientific Method in regards to Catholicism. If I had said the Catholic Church has always embraced science you might try to prove me wrong or start a tally.

I wouldn't fear a tally if you included each time an official Catholic organization embraces the Scientific Method. There are probably hundreds of thousands of instances each day, every day if you include students being taught the method in Catholic schools.

I won't labor on this and try to defend the many instances the Catholic Church did not embrace science. I fully acknowledge it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
After reading posts from Catholics on this board, I thank Martin Luther every day for saving some of us from it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:58 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
After reading posts from Catholics on this board, I thank Martin Luther every day for saving some of us from it.

Always amazed by Cubbie fans who cannot understand relying on faith and fanciful stories of the past

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:59 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

remember, Rick said "but only in the backwards ways"

There were certainly many instances where the Catholic Church has turned its back on science in the past.

I meant they pick and choose instead of adhering to the Scientific Method. They've done good things but only on their terms with many negative actions too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Seacrest wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
He said that transubstantiation was wrong. I mean, wasn't that obvious? You really think you're eating Jesus?

So there was no reform there.

And he actually said that he was eating bread that Jesus was "present" in.

To be fair, if you eat in resturaunt, you've eaten many things that many guys have been "present" in.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next