It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Martin Luther
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Don Tiny wrote:
Hoo-kay.

So, what we have here is a case not where you believe in science itself but, rather, you believe that this 'study' merits being considered having been carried out in anything resembling a 'scientific' fashion.

Dubious materials and non-independently substantiated claims do not a scientific discovery make. See also anti-vaxxers and believers (note that word btw) in chiropractic "medicine".

One cannot start with a more or less planned narrative and then essentially make the findings fit said narrative (either by citing vaguely correlative similarities to one thing or another or outright falsifying the findings themselves) and call it 'science'. I mean, I suppose of course one can, but when the jig is finally up and the study shown to be faulty (whether by choice or by accident), the 'findings' are rightly discarded as either inadvertent mistake or, as I highly suspect in this case, falsehoods purposely presented as truths for whatever reason. Trying to strengthen another's faith by foisting a lovely-sounding lie upon them is ultimately as nutritive as offering a starving man a picture of a Christmas ham.

This post right here... it’s the reason why I often rub Don’s head (the one that sits on his shoulders). It makes him uncomfortable, but I’m just trying to steal some of his razor-sharp observation through osmosis.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
pittmike wrote:
Psycory wrote:
Anyway, this is a pretty important scientific study and I look forward to reading about it in a scientific peer reviewed journal and not some church blogs, message boards, or pintrest.

I will keep a look for it in Nature.

Me too! But Nature does have a ridiculously high rejection rate, maybe they will have better luck at someplace that has a lower impact factor.

I have been reading this discussion as someone who teaches research methods twice a year, it has been enjoyable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
leashyourkids wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Hoo-kay.

So, what we have here is a case not where you believe in science itself but, rather, you believe that this 'study' merits being considered having been carried out in anything resembling a 'scientific' fashion.

Dubious materials and non-independently substantiated claims do not a scientific discovery make. See also anti-vaxxers and believers (note that word btw) in chiropractic "medicine".

One cannot start with a more or less planned narrative and then essentially make the findings fit said narrative (either by citing vaguely correlative similarities to one thing or another or outright falsifying the findings themselves) and call it 'science'. I mean, I suppose of course one can, but when the jig is finally up and the study shown to be faulty (whether by choice or by accident), the 'findings' are rightly discarded as either inadvertent mistake or, as I highly suspect in this case, falsehoods purposely presented as truths for whatever reason. Trying to strengthen another's faith by foisting a lovely-sounding lie upon them is ultimately as nutritive as offering a starving man a picture of a Christmas ham.

This post right here... it’s the reason why I often rub Don’s head (the one that sits on his shoulders). It makes him uncomfortable, but I’m just trying to steal some of his razor-sharp observation through osmosis.

One can't claim a planned narrative when DNA across centuries can't be explained away.

Good chat though. If you have an idea or thought bring it to the board and we can all discuss it. Or not.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:40 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Psycory wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Psycory wrote:
Anyway, this is a pretty important scientific study and I look forward to reading about it in a scientific peer reviewed journal and not some church blogs, message boards, or pintrest.

Me too! But Nature does have a ridiculously high rejection rate, maybe they will have better luck at someplace that has a lower impact factor.

I have been reading this discussion as someone who teaches research methods twice a year, it has been enjoyable.

Careful or RPB is going to start calling you a scientist disparagingly in every fifth post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:44 pm 

Psycory wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Psycory wrote:

Today's lecture: Seacrest and the Eucharist.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:47 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
pittmike wrote:
Careful or RPB is going to start calling you a scientist disparagingly in every fifth post.

RPB said it was easy
It's such a shame for us to post
RPB said it was easy
He never said that it would be this hard
He thinks he's Kendrick Lamar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:56 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Hoo-kay.

One can't claim a planned narrative when DNA across centuries can't be explained away.

Good chat though. If you have an idea or thought bring it to the board and we can all discuss it. Or not.

I can’t even compliment a fellow board member without being intimidated by an admin. Sad!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Hoo-kay.

I can’t even compliment a fellow board member without being intimidated by an admin. Sad!

:lol:

I find it hard to believe that anyone intimidates you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:29 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
So does wine turn into blood every time? Does bread turn into distressed heart muscle every time? Not just once in a while?

I mean I could go and get a sample of the wine at my local church on Sunday and test it for DNA. It should contain it right? And the host will certainly test positive for distressed heart muscle? Or just human DNA?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I love an engaged Don Tiny.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:25 pm 

Darkside wrote:
So does wine turn into blood every time? Does bread turn into distressed heart muscle every time? Not just once in a while?

I mean I could go and get a sample of the wine at my local church on Sunday and test it for DNA. It should contain it right? And the host will certainly test positive for distressed heart muscle? Or just human DNA?

Ok so I've arranged for a DNA test of the transsubstantiated bread and wine from a church near my house.
The result is guaranteed to contain human DNA right?

Incidently it's pretty cheap to test for the presence of human DNA. As long as you're just testing for its presence and not a comparative analysis with another person it's under $100.

Anyhow... So another question could be answered... if the DNA in the host is human we have to assume it's Jesus dna... We'll know once and for all if he's really a white guy.

This will be a groundbreaking experiment.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:38 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Psycory wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Psycory wrote:

Wow.

First of all, Cry more

Secondly, aren't you actually a scientist? If not, I apologize. And I did not mean to disparage you either way.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:41 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

RPB said it was easy
It's such a shame for us to post
RPB said it was easy
He never said that it would be this hard
He thinks he's Kendrick Lamar

I had to google a bit to catch that. Well done.

I like In My Place better. The guitar on that is very The Edge-y

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Darkside wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Ok so I've arranged for a DNA test of the transsubstantiated bread and wine from a church near my house.

Incidently it's pretty cheap to test for the presence of human DNA. As long as you're just testing for its presence and not a comparative analysis with another person it's under $100.

Anyhow... So another question could be answered... if the DNA in the host is human we have to assume it's Jesus dna... We'll know once and for all if he's really a white guy.

This reminds me of when Mormons tried to prove part of the book of Mormon that said Native Americans were descendants of Laman (who was wicked, and thus his descendants were marked with dark skin: Native Americans were the dark-skinned descendants of Lamanites). An important part of the Book of Mormon...well they tested the DNA and Laman was NOT the father.
LDS response: attempts to excommunicate the scientists involved in the research.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:42 pm 

Another shot at my catholic education or my understanding of it: I always thought "this is the body and blood of Christ" was completely symbolic.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
rogers park bryan wrote:
Another shot at my catholic education or my understanding of it: I always thought "this is the body and blood of Christ" was completely symbolic.

It is supposed to become the body and blood of Christ. The Lutherans have a more nuanced view of that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:45 pm 

denisdman wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

It is supposed to become the body and blood of Christ. The Lutherans have a more nuanced view of that.

Right, I understand that and could probably rattle off the whole part of the mass where it's blessed, but I still thought we were talking symbolically. Like the Priests and everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I am no scholar, obviously, but my understanding is that it literally becomes body and blood.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:51 pm 

Psycory wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Darkside wrote:

This reminds me of when Mormons tried to prove part of the book of Mormon that said Native Americans were descendants of Laman (who was wicked, and thus his descendants were marked with dark skin: Native Americans were the dark-skinned descendants of Lamanites). An important part of the Book of Mormon...well they tested the DNA and Laman was NOT the father.
LDS response: attempts to excommunicate the scientists involved in the research.

Hmmm... I suppose we'd have to find a way to exclude transfer DNA from the Warlock or wizard or whatever the guys called who performed this alchemy... or whoever else handled foodstuff in an unsafe, ungloved manner.

Perhaps a pre alchemy sample and a post alchemy sample. Yes. That's it.

Damn this just got a bit more expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:52 pm 

denisdman wrote:
I am no scholar, obviously, but my understanding is that it literally becomes body and blood.

Well god eating is no new thing.
You know there's a lot of stuff the Catholics have stolen from older religions. Interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:52 pm 

I can’t believe this is an actual discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:59 pm 

A lot of Cubs fans are interested in White Sox business.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:59 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
I can’t believe this is an actual discussion.

I can't believe no one d na tested the host yet.
Maybe I should get hosts from 2 different churches and see if they're the same dna.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
bLUEHOST ???

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
bLUEHOST ???

:lol:

I don't recall there being a Jesus Smurf.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

Darkside wrote:

I think you have been to mass before if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Psycory wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Psycory wrote:

Wow.

First of all, Cry more

Secondly, aren't you actually a scientist? If not, I apologize. And I did not mean to disparage you either way.

As someone who has gone back and forth with RPB myself over the last couple of weeks, he has a point.

One scientist posts results from a study he obviously hasn't even read, and you post a concurring response to a study you hadn't known about, or read.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:50 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Darkside wrote:

I think you have been to mass before if I remember correctly.

Yes. Why?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:56 pm 

Those crackers are pretty bland. Jesus could use some cayenne pepper.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Seacrest wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Psycory wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Psycory wrote:

Wow.

First of all, Cry more

As someone who has gone back and forth with RPB myself over the last couple of weeks, he has a point.

One scientist posts results from a study he obviously hasn't even read, and you post a concurring response to a study you hadn't known about, or read.

What are you on about now?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next