It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/house-passes-massive-tax-package-senate-to-vote-next/ar-BBH0UCm?OCID=ansmsnnews11

The House voted to approve the new tax bill.

One down, one to go with the Senate...and it'll be a much harder battle.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Harder battle? Every Republican Senator is on board. McCain will miss the vote though due to his illness. It's game over.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
"What Happened to the Post Card?"

The same thing that happened to providing Americans the same health insurance available to Federal Government employees.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:58 pm 

wdelaney72 wrote:
"What Happened to the Post Card?"

The same thing that happened to providing Americans the same health insurance available to Federal Government employees.

That is really the fix on the personal side. Nearly everyone will be pushed into the standard deduction. As such, your return should be two pages. They dumped the personal exemptions, and schedule A should be a relic for most.

They tried to get rid of nearly all deductions, but political forces (SALT!) left those in there. It's all noise though because the high standard deduction will keep you from itemizing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:02 pm 

I had no idea that the carried interest loophole was going to be saved. It was one of the main talking points of the Trump campaign that he claimed to be a populist on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:10 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
I had no idea that the carried interest loophole was going to be saved. It was one of the main talking points of the Trump campaign that he claimed to be a populist on.

We write a lot of private equity and hedge fund business. The entire business is quite interesting with carried interest being one of those facets. At its core it falls into a category of compensation that looks a lot like incentive stock options (ISO's) which are a staple of the corporate world. Now I don't know all the intricacies of how those carried interest is taxed. But with ISO's, there is preferential treatment if you exercise and hold those securities. However, the dreaded AMT took those advantages away.

In the private equity world, that carried interest is basically a reward to managers for earnings a return above the hurdle rate (say 7%), and aligns the manager with the investors.

But I tend to agree that carried interest should be taxed like regular wage income because it really is just a bonus under another name.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:36 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

We write a lot of private equity and hedge fund business. The entire business is quite interesting with carried interest being one of those facets. At its core it falls into a category of compensation that looks a lot like incentive stock options (ISO's) which are a staple of the corporate world. Now I don't know all the intricacies of how those carried interest is taxed. But with ISO's, there is preferential treatment if you exercise and hold those securities. However, the dreaded AMT took those advantages away.

In the private equity world, that carried interest is basically a reward to managers for earnings a return above the hurdle rate (say 7%), and aligns the manager with the investors.

But I tend to agree that carried interest should be taxed like regular wage income because it really is just a bonus under another name.

Dennis, I really appreciate your rational and clear discussion of this matter and learn quite a bit from your analysis. It's just a shame that the only discussion of how this benefits middle income people focus on modest and temporary cuts which are likely to be offset in other areas or a continuing attempt to convince people that this time (damnit) supply side/trickle down will work for the first time in history

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:38 pm 

We're all going to be rich. Now Trump can tell us aliens exist and he becomes arguably a top 10 President.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
While it is clear this will benefit the Corporate world and the wealthy the most, I'm reserving judgement until see the results in real-time. I'm not thrilled with the bill, but I don't think the end of the world is coming either. I do believe all will see a benefit of some kind.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
wdelaney72 wrote:
While it is clear this will benefit the Corporate world and the wealthy the most, I'm reserving judgement until see the results in real-time. I'm not thrilled with the bill, but I don't think the end of the world is coming either. I do believe all will see a benefit of some kind.

I agree with this take. If you really think about it what other tax reform can you give to people that make less than 50k? Just make it no tax or withholding whatsoever?

As this thing goes many people really should be happy not to bother having to itemize and bunch of stupid ass shit to squeak a little more. Also, not having to pay HR Block et all saves anther $50 or whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Regular Reader wrote:

Dennis, I really appreciate your rational and clear discussion of this matter and learn quite a bit from your analysis. It's just a shame that the only discussion of how this benefits middle income people focus on modest and temporary cuts which are likely to be offset in other areas or a continuing attempt to convince people that this time (damnit) supply side/trickle down will work for the first time in history

the history of the universe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:33 am 

pizza_Place: ....
I told everyone that Trump was The Man.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
pittmike wrote:
Also, not having to pay HR Block et all saves anther $50 or whatever.

Seeing as how the fee was deductible previously, I didn't mind paying a bit more to save more.

Also, let's not forget that all of the corporate love is permanent, while the "benefit" for little old us expires in a few years.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:20 am 

Killer V wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Seeing as how the fee was deductible previously, I didn't mind paying a bit more to save more.

Also, let's not forget that all of the corporate love is permanent, while the "benefit" for little old us expires in a few years.

Try but do you think whoever holds power in 2027 wants to raise taxes on us?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:21 am 

Killer V wrote:
pittmike wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:27 am 

pittmike wrote:
Killer V wrote:
pittmike wrote:

This is why we need to keep Republicans on power forever.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:28 am 

pittmike wrote:
Killer V wrote:
pittmike wrote:

If the tax cuts expire, isn't it the republicans that are raising taxes? They are the ones that wrote the bill.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:36 am 

Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Killer V wrote:
pittmike wrote:

If the tax cuts expire, isn't it the republicans that are raising taxes? They are the ones that wrote the bill.

Who ever is in charge in 2027 will get blamed if they expire.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
pittmike wrote:
Killer V wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I guess it depends on how things go, but it’s been done before...

The Death of Kansas's Conservative Experiment
The nation’s most aggressive experiment in conservative economic policy is dead.

Republican majorities in the Kansas legislature on Tuesday night voted to reverse the deep tax cuts engineered by Governor Sam Brownback five years ago, blaming them for blowing a hole in the state’s budget that threatened the viability of its schools and infrastructure. Brownback, a conservative first elected in 2010 on a platform of phasing out Kansas’s income tax entirely, stood by his vision even in spite of an electoral backlash last year. But a coalition of Democrats and newly-elected Republicans overrode his veto of legislation to raise $1.2 billion in revenue by hiking personal income taxes and repealing a widely-criticized exemption for small-business owners. Tax rates will now go up to levels near where they were before Brownback took office.

For Brownback, a former senator and one-time presidential hopeful, the vote was nothing less than a humiliation. He had hailed his tax cuts as “a real live experiment” in conservative governance and offered them up as a model for other states and the Trump administration. Instead, they left him as the most unpopular governor in the country, who was reportedly casting about for a federal posting that would allow him to escape Topeka before the legislature could eviscerate his legacy.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/kansass-conservative-tax-experiment-is-dead/529551/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:29 pm 

this really is a HUGE boost to business in america

and we were already riding a high wave

but it also means a ton of federal programs will be cut, because there simply wont be the money there to pay for them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:48 pm 

pizza_Place: My own
The corporat tax rate reduction is not some huge benefit for only the rich. It will make America much more competitive globally.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:07 pm 

storkinastorm wrote:
The corporat tax rate reduction is not some huge benefit for only the rich. It will make America much more competitive globally.

There are a lot of people that don’t understand the global economy. Thanks for confirming it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Anyone that says they know what's going to happen with any certainty is a liar or a fool.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:33 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:

There are a lot of people that don’t understand the global economy. Thanks for confirming it.

In typical left wing fashion, you attack me rather than addressing the (correct) point I made. But it’s easier to just yell about how it only benefits the rich.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
storkinastorm wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:

In typical left wing fashion, you attack me rather than addressing the (correct) point I made. But it’s easier to just yell about how it only benefits the rich.

In typical right wing fashion, you couldn't even spell corporate (correctly).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:58 pm 

storkinastorm wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:

Your point was an overly-simplistic one...barely even a point really. Good one though. My comment wasn’t really about the rich... It was about competitiveness. I’ll refrain from labels used as insults out of respect for those on the other side that provide intelligent posts.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:16 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:

I’m not right wing, but pointing out a typo rather than providing some sort of argument is certainly typical of modern leftists, and it is why people are moving away from them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:18 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:

Your point was an overly-simplistic one...barely even a point really. Good one though. My comment wasn’t really about the rich... It was about competitiveness. I’ll refrain from labels used as insults out of respect for those on the other side that provide intelligent posts.

Then state your point! It’s an open discussion, right?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
storkinastorm wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:

I’m not right wing, but pointing out a typo rather than providing some sort of argument is certainly typical of modern leftists, and it is why people are moving away from them.

It was a joke, you over sensitive douchebag, which is certainly typical of modern wingnuts, and it is why literal nazis are embracing them.

See how stupid you sound when you make idiotic generalizations? You probably don't because that's typical of modern trumpets, they're all morons. It's okay, because in typical right-wing fashion all you can do is label someone left-wing as an insult, which is certainly typical of cuckservatives, because they can't spell, love nazis, have no sense of humor, are morons, and love to label people. All of them. Every single one. There's no exceptions. Literally. Especially you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:44 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:

It was a joke, you over sensitive douchebag, which is certainly typical of modern wingnuts, and it is why literal nazis are embracing them.

See how stupid you sound when you make idiotic generalizations? You probably don't because that's typical of modern trumpets, they're all morons. It's okay, because in typical right-wing fashion all you can do is label someone left-wing as an insult, which is certainly typical of cuckservatives, because they can't spell, love nazis, have no sense of humor, are morons, and love to label people. All of them. Every single one. There's no exceptions. Literally. Especially you.

Look at this open-minded Liberal, everyone!

This is the disease of the modern Left. Absolutely none of your posts has actually addressed why the corporate tax cut is bad. Instead, you’ve called me an “idiot,” a “moron,” a “cuckservative,” a “Nazi lover,” and a bad speller.

Aren’t you the one who paints his fingernails? Maybe fix yourself and then talk shit to others, homo.