It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bundy Family
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
They may be shitty people, but damn they do have a just cause. There is a real problem in this country when 50+% of the land in most Western states (85% in Nevada) is controlled entirely by the Federal government with no local input.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/artic ... heir-case/

I'd also point to the 2014 stand-off as proof that well armed citizens can hold tyrants at bay.

Post subject: Re: Bundy Family
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:54 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Yes. The government does lie and does bad things to its citizens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Fuck Cliven and his brood.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:02 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Beat them charges like Rocky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:14 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
GoldenJet wrote:

Possibly the most uninformed thing ever posted here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:17 am 

Seacrest wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Possibly the most uninformed thing ever posted here.

Worse than deep breathing cures cancer?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:18 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I'd also point to the 2014 stand-off as proof that well armed citizens can hold tyrants at bay.

How so? The "tyrants" in this instnace simply decided they didn't want to eviscerate the Bundys.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:19 am 

Why is it bad for the government to own a lot of land?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:21 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

How so? The "tyrants" in this instnace simply decided they didn't want to eviscerate the Bundys.

It seemed the Bundys and their supporters had enough fire power to make them think twice. Without them being there in force we would've had Ruby Ridge Part II. I welcome an armed citizenry using its 2nd Amendment rights as Madison envisioned to repel tyrants.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:25 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

because with the exception of small pockets such as National Parks, that land should belong to the local governments and states. It's a real problem when a state has 85% of its land owned and sealed off by the Federal Government.

As I've said before, the Sagebrush Rebellion is a noble cause

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Feds should have just opened up the place to a cow shoot and BBQ.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:26 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

because with the exception of small pockets such as National Parks, that land should belong to the local governments and states. It's a real problem when a state has 85% of its land owned and sealed off by the Federal Government.

Why though?

Federal government = bad doesn't convince me.

With how you mock certain states for mismanagement why do you want them to have it?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:29 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Why though?

With how you mock certain states for mismanagement why do you want them to have it?

The states and local jurisdictions will at least manage/utilize the land in a manner which benefits their constituents where the current situation is to have it controlled by a bureaucrat in DC who probably never visited the state in the 1st place. Local governments are more receptive to the needs and desires of their citizens than a giant DC bureaucracy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:31 am 
Site Admin

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

It seemed the Bundys and their supporters had enough fire power to make them think twice. Without them being there in force we would've had Ruby Ridge Part II. I welcome an armed citizenry using its 2nd Amendment rights as Madison envisioned to repel tyrants.

This, and the fact that the government had grossly under estimated the resistance that they would be meeting up with.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Aren't these people alt-right Mormons who basically laid down their arms and surrendered when one of their own was killed by the FBI?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Why though?

The states and local jurisdictions will at least manage/utilize the land in a manner which benefits their constituents where the current situation is to have it controlled by a bureaucrat in DC who probably never visited the state in the 1st place. Local governments are more receptive to the needs and desires of their citizens than a giant DC bureaucracy.

From what I've read the federal government does a pretty good job in general with grazing rights. The state would likely do no better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:39 am 
1000 CLUB

Seacrest wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

This, and the fact that the government had grossly under estimated the resistance that they would be meeting up with.

The feds could have brought in additional firepower if so desired. I think the potential negative publicity for escalating the confrontation likely outweighed tactical considerations. The overall strategy seemed to rely on surreptitiously manipulating legal mechanisms to punish the Bundys rather than doing so by overwhelming force--and thereby validating the Bundys anti-government rhetoric.

Last edited by Tall Midget on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:43 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

The feds could have brought in additional firepower if so desired. I think the potential negative publicity for escalating the confrontation likely outweighed tactical considerations. The overall strategy seemed to surreptitiously manipulate legal mechanisms to punish the Bundys rather than doing so by overwhelming force--and thereby validating the Bundys anti-government rhetoric.

Plan A is always better than Plan B.

The level of manipulation by the feds is over top here. Even for them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Does this ruling mean I can cut firewood in Thatcher Woods?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:50 am 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
Does this ruling mean I can cut firewood in Thatcher Woods?

There is plenty laying on the forest floor due to the Democratic party allowing MANY of the Forest Preserve properties to go to shit over the last 50 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:56 am 
1000 CLUB

N/A

Last edited by Tall Midget on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
Tall Midget wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

The feds could have brought in additional firepower if so desired. I think the potential negative publicity for escalating the confrontation likely outweighed tactical considerations. The overall strategy seemed to surreptitiously manipulate legal mechanisms to punish the Bundys rather than doing so by overwhelming force--and thereby validating the Bundys anti-government rhetoric.

this is the biggest reason for an armed citizenry. they wouldn't have the firepower of a gvt, but it would be such an absolute mess on the world stage, a power will theoretically think twice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
hnd wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

this is the biggest reason for an armed citizenry. they wouldn't have the firepower of a gvt, but it would be such an absolute mess on the world stage, a power will theoretically think twice.

Don't we have more of an armed citizenry than the rest of the developed world?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
hnd wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Whereas if there was government violence against an unarmed citizenry the world would instead just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:39 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Whereas if there was government violence against an unarmed citizenry the world would instead just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

Pretty much yes, see Catalonia.

The government tramples on their rights, but escapes criticism on the world stage because they can contain the violence when they are the only party with the guns. If the protesters have guns, a stand-off can ensue and the government is faced with the prospect an armed conflict (which makes them look bad) or backing off and taking the loss. They took the loss here because the Bundys and their supporters were armed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:40 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Don't we have more of an armed citizenry than the rest of the developed world?
Yes, and that's a good thing. It's exactly as Madison intended.

That 2nd Amendment preserves the 1st and all others.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Booby's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Not only should the Federal Government own more land (and all the money), the Electoral College should be eliminated ensuring President Oprah. It's too late for me. I have been forced to suffer, a martyr to the tyranny of meaningless states like Utah and Nebraska and their deplorable residents.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

The government tramples on their rights, but escapes criticism on the world stage because they can contain the violence when they are the only party with the guns. If the protesters have guns, a stand-off can ensue and the government is faced with the prospect an armed conflict (which makes them look bad) or backing off and taking the loss. They took the loss here because the Bundys and their supporters were armed.

No we and much of the rest of the world wouldn't have cared about Catalonia regardless of how armed or unarmed they were unless it was relevant to our strategic interests. This isn't close to a parallel with the US or some kind of knockout argument in favor of guns that you keep trying to pretend it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:09 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

No we and much of the rest of the world wouldn't have cared about Catalonia regardless of how armed or unarmed they were unless it was relevant to our strategic interests. This isn't close to a parallel with the US or some kind of knockout argument in favor of guns that you keep trying to pretend it is.

People would care about Catalonia if the protesters had arms to defend themselves. Then they would've been able to assert their rights. Let's see how easily the police would've closed polling stations if people had arms. I bet they would've held back. It's easy to trample on rights when the trampled have no means to exert force.

If the Bundys were unarmed, the Federal forces would've just moved in, beat them down, and hauled them away. That didn't happen though. The arms forced the government to stand down.