It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MLB GM's
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Shoutout to them for realizing that Scott Boras is a con man and that giving long term big money contracts to his clients rarely pays off and more likely sets you up for years of mediocrity.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... -1.3791847

Post subject: Re: MLB GM's
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Thank God someone finally realized these are the heroes we needed. Baseball fans were in dire need of individuals who would protect the wealth of their billionaire employers against those greedy players and their agents.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:55 am 

Owners may even be able to lower ticket prices now!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Yes, it's about time someone praised executive management. Just think how great it would be to work for these guys, I mean after they colluded and low-balled you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
KDdidit wrote:
Yes, it's about time someone praised executive management. Just think how great it would be to work for these guys, I mean after they colluded and low-balled you.

good call. everyone should be getting 10 year deals !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Eliminate the middle men. Just have all the players own the teams collectively and give them all the money. I am sure they will share it fairly. Bernie Sanders can be the commissioner.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:03 am 

pittmike wrote:
Eliminate the middle men. Just have all the players own the teams collectively and give them all the money. I am sure they will share it fairly. Bernie Sanders can be the commissioner.

What?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:04 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
All it takes is one team to blink.

If the GMs come together and hold their own, and teams start getting into Spring camp and the free ajents are still out there, than the GM's have won and you will see the Hosmers and Arriettas start signing shorter deals that are more team friendly. I hope this is what happens.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:05 am 

The funny thing is that one of the main reasons that is causing this is the union and how they screw over minor league and drafted players with the super long service time. They thought it would have more money for veterans but instead teams are just going with the cheaper and younger players.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: John's
FINALLY! I was thinking the other day..it's about time people starting putting BILLIONAIRES FIRST in this country.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Would you rather have the 2017-2018 crop of free agents or the 2018-2019 crop of free agents?

Teams are in or near the luxury tax now because of inflated contracts to players. This is the offseason teams are trying to reset so that they can spend on franchise changing players next offseason. Hiring smart front offices and letting them do their jobs does not mean collusion. Teams like the Cubs are aiming at spending on Bryce Harper or Manny Machado...teams like the White Sox know their time is coming in a couple of years and don't want to saddle themselves with bad veteran contracts. Smart front offices.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:11 am 

Boras must hate the fact that Kenny isn't making decisions any more for the White Sox.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:14 am 

IMU wrote:
Would you rather have the 2017-2018 crop of free agents or the 2018-2019 crop of free agents?

Teams are in or near the luxury tax now because of inflated contracts to players. This is the offseason teams are trying to reset so that they can spend on franchise changing players next offseason. Hiring smart front offices and letting them do their jobs does not mean collusion. Teams like the Cubs are aiming at spending on Bryce Harper or Manny Machado...teams like the White Sox know their time is coming in a couple of years and don't want to saddle themselves with bad veteran contracts. Smart front offices.

Who gives shit if they pay the luxury tax? Pay it and win.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Caller Bob wrote:
FINALLY! I was thinking the other day..it's about time people starting putting BILLIONAIRES FIRST in this country.

M-F at 1-6 on 670.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:16 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Thank God someone finally realized these are the heroes we needed. Baseball fans were in dire need of individuals who would protect the wealth of their billionaire employers against those greedy players and their agents.

yeah because the 7 year big money deals always work out for these teams! Please, the reality is the teams that idiotically throw money at his clients end up with a declining 35 year old who has 4 years left on a deal and prevents the team from having the money on hand to extend their 29 year old star who leaves town as a free agent after 7 years of service time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:18 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The funny thing is that one of the main reasons that is causing this is the union and how they screw over minor league and drafted players with the super long service time. They thought it would have more money for veterans but instead teams are just going with the cheaper and younger players.

The other reason is teams are looking at WAR and seeing they have some 20 something year old who is arbitration eligible under team control for a fraction of the price and not too far off in WAR from the guy asking for $18 MM a year over 7.

GM's have learned from the experience of burning themselves one too many times on his free agents.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:19 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
IMU wrote:

I do. How many of those spend stupid money teams have won a World Series recently? The Cubs will be in the luxury tax to start the 2019 season. I'm okay with them staying out of it this season in order to extend the championship window as long as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:22 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
IMU wrote:

history tells us that throwing money at these players (especially pitchers on long term deals) does not equal winning and actually typically equals years of misery.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:24 am 

IMU wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
IMU wrote:

I do. How many of those spend stupid money teams have won a World Series recently? The Cubs will be in the luxury tax to start the 2019 season. I'm okay with them staying out of it this season in order to extend the championship window as long as possible.

if you're going to spend into the luxury tax range, let it be to keep star players you developed, not to buy 32+ year old declining assets. As average pitch speed has increased, bat speed is becoming more important and a player on the wrong side of 30 will see declining bat speed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:32 am 

Bryce Harper will be 26.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:34 am 

IMU wrote:
Bryce Harper will be 26.

yes and he is the rare young FA as he broke in at 19. The average age of an MLB rookie is 24 yrs old so the average age when someone first becomes a FA is thus 31. In addition to this, teams may buy out the 1st FA eligible year with a 3 year deal when the player has 5 years of service time adding another year to when they are a FA.

Bryce Harper will have no problem getting paid. FAs who are 30+ years old, will have problems getting paid as too many GM's have seen what happens when they throw money at them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
KDdidit wrote:

Exactly. Jake will have a legit beef trying to make ends meet on 4/100 instead of 6/175.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:42 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
IMU wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
IMU wrote:

if you're going to spend into the luxury tax range, let it be to keep star players you developed, not to buy 32+ year old declining assets. As average pitch speed has increased, bat speed is becoming more important and a player on the wrong side of 30 will see declining bat speed.

why not both? why is a false choice being created?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:46 pm 

Kirkwood must have been a big fan of the White Sox the past 12 years.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:46 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
IMU wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
IMU wrote:

why not both? why is a false choice being created?

because one of them helps your team long term while the other one at best gives you 1-2 good years followed by 5 years of decline and having your hands tied behind your back as you're stuck with a bad contract.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Billionaires vs Millionaires. Dumbest thread ever.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:48 pm 

I work for a 4 billion dollar company.

#me too!!! #99% #IwantwhatIwant!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
badrogue17 wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

Exactly. Jake will have a legit beef trying to make ends meet on 4/100 instead of 6/175.

Exactly. Some faceless owner now doesn't have to make ends meet with their 1.9 billion $ team instead of a 2 billion $ team. That's why a REALLY SMART GUY like Todd Ricketts is RNC Finance chariman.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:52 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kirkwood must have been a big fan of the White Sox the past 12 years.

die hard since birth.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:52 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

Exactly. Some faceless owner now doesn't have to make ends meet with their 1.9 billion $ team instead of a 2 billion $ team. That's why a REALLY SMART GUY like Todd Ricketts is RNC Finance chariman.

How do you think he made it into a 2billion dollar team? America really is fucked.

You think he is going to eat the 1MIL? No he will raise prices for tickets, food and merchandise.