It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:02 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Private schools should not be funded by public funds.

Ever!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:05 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Nas wrote:
Coming from a loving home with educated parents increases the odds that the child will do well in school and life. There is no question about it. The same is true for having access to early childhood education. Those things aren't magic bullets and they don't cover up the failures of shitty schools in poor and minority communities.

I know enough parents who are sending their kids to failing schools. Not because they don't care but because they simply don't know better. It's the neighborhood school. The kids may even be doing well in the school. That will change instantly once that child goes to a school that doesn't suck. When you can take 1 school's 10 best students and place them elsewhere and they become average to above average students that's not parental failure. MANY of these awful and poorly funded schools are in poor and minority communities.

Change that and you'll start to see different outcomes. You can't continue giving poor and minority kids mush and expect the majority to turn it into a gourmet meal.

Exactly!

I'm glad we can all agree on that. Which also means that we can and should promote the best outcome for all kids.

MANY private schools are doing better than the CPS spending MUCH less per student than they are. Which means they are not getting MUSH. Educate parents to send their kids to better schools, and MANY of them will follow.

But that's also based on a false premise. Many private schools are better because they draw from higher income families that place a big influence on education. And it ignores the often constitutional barriers to entry from those schools existing on a broad scale. See the archdiocese

Correct. Their superiority is based upon the very fact that they are "private". By virtue of being private they can be selective on which students that they admit and which students they don't. They also are not subjected to the same laws regarding expulsion that public schools are. For a long time many private schools were able to withhold test data also. Private schools also aren't subjected to restrictions related to residence. Neighborhood schools are.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
SuperMario wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Crest, I don't disagree with your general sentiment, but it largely ignores the millions of stories of kids truly motivated by quality educational experiences and educators.

Even where there wasn't a great family structure or emphasis on formal education

I agree with both what you and Crest said. But it still does start in the home. However, I wouldn't just say it's due to broken homes. It stems from the lack of discipline and consequences kids face. Millennial parents let their kids be precious little angels that do not face consequences. That has bled into the schools, and schools are no longer allowed to discipline kids. Sure, they can reprimand them or "write them up", but ultimately, there are no consequences. And the kids know this. And that pertains to behavioral issues as well as academic. Kids don't have to do shit with homework or attempt to pass classes, yet they will still move on to the next grade.

Ultimately, education fails because we let it fail due to not wanting to make tough decisions and actually challenge kids. Whether it's fear of lawsuits from unions or parents or whomever, schools are hamstrung in that regard. But no one wants to admit that is the problem. They just say we need more money.

I'll agree with this. A lot probably has to do with a 2 parent home. And I like what Nas is saying in this thread.

But back to the anti-education.....Well, people like the Sec of Education who does not come from an education background, I wanna say either owns or family has some type of investment into private school. Also, people who want to add charter schools taking away resources from the public school. My wife is an admin in a school system, and this 100% happens with the resources. The poor kids get less, which does not help things. It actually is pretty disgusting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Regular Reader wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Ever!

Except when you all want to go to private colleges and need federal loan money.

C'mon, let's try and avoid silly platitudes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Nas wrote:
Coming from a loving home with educated parents increases the odds that the child will do well in school and life. There is no question about it. The same is true for having access to early childhood education. Those things aren't magic bullets and they don't cover up the failures of shitty schools in poor and minority communities.

I know enough parents who are sending their kids to failing schools. Not because they don't care but because they simply don't know better. It's the neighborhood school. The kids may even be doing well in the school. That will change instantly once that child goes to a school that doesn't suck. When you can take 1 school's 10 best students and place them elsewhere and they become average to above average students that's not parental failure. MANY of these awful and poorly funded schools are in poor and minority communities.

Change that and you'll start to see different outcomes. You can't continue giving poor and minority kids mush and expect the majority to turn it into a gourmet meal.

Exactly!

I'm glad we can all agree on that. Which also means that we can and should promote the best outcome for all kids.

MANY private schools are doing better than the CPS spending MUCH less per student than they are. Which means they are not getting MUSH. Educate parents to send their kids to better schools, and MANY of them will follow.

But that's also based on a false premise. Many private schools are better because they draw from higher income families that place a big influence on education. And it ignores the often constitutional barriers to entry from those schools existing on a broad scale. See the archdiocese

Many private schools are better because the kids come from two parent households where both parents have a financial and personal investment in the education of their children. While the same parents are also providing a healthy investment in the education of public school kids as well.

There is a new law that reduces some of the Constitutional barriers and and as you can see, there are some on this page already complaining about it. And there are a number of private schools that are not religiously affiliated too.

But I'm firmly in the freedom from religion crowd, and although I'm a private school kid myself, $30k is ridiculous for grammar and high school. And college.

And lower tuition is only possible with extremely generous benefactors...like the Rockefellers

$30K a year?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:18 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Ever!

Where did you ever read me posting that? Avoid the incorrect presumptions please.

But even as a private HBCU grad, I feel that way

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Ever!

Where did you ever read me posting that? Avoid the incorrect presumptions please.

So public money is OK for your private school, but not EVER for others?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Ever!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:25 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Ever!

I said exactly the opposite.

And we've personally had these discussions about good private, non religious based school tuition.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Which is why I'm confused by your response.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:37 pm 

Seacrest wrote:

What's to be confused about? I have problems with federal money going to private schools of any stripe, and absent places like the U of C that regularly subsidize tuition based on need or family relationship, private schools' tuition is ridiculous

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

What's to be confused about? I have problems with federal money going to private schools of any stripe, and absent places like the U of C that regularly subsidize tuition based on need or family relationship, private schools' tuition is ridiculous

Millions of dollars a year go to loans for private colleges and universities.

MANY don't take that into consideration when they state that public money should never go to private education.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:53 pm 

Loans.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Loans.

So, in conclusion, when public funds go to providing you with a private education, then it's different.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:57 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

MANY don't take that into consideration when they state that public money should never go to private education.

But Brick and others (yourself included) have correctly brought that up for years. And I agree.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:02 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Loans.

So, in conclusion, when public funds go to providing you with a private education, then it's different.

In loans that are paid back with interest.

If the state of Illinois is giving poor people loans to go to private high schools then I guess that's fine though probably a poor choice for those students.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

But Brick and others (yourself included) have correctly brought that up for years. And I agree.

The larger question is, who would subsidize that level of borrowing on a private scale in order to help others pay for college?

And we all know the answer is no one. So, short of public funds being made available, there would not be any college for MANY.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:18 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Regular Reader wrote:

Someone earlier in the thread made this point and I believe you stated pretty strongly this was inconsequential. That it was in fact going to be early childhood education / pre schooling that was to be the fix for the problems facing poor education results. I am not trying to play gotcha but are you admitting there are circumstances where children are doing poorly in school due to their family dynamics?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:30 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Someone earlier in the thread made this point and I believe you stated pretty strongly this was inconsequential. That it was in fact going to be early childhood education / pre schooling that was to be the fix for the problems facing poor education results. I am not trying to play gotcha but are you admitting there are circumstances where children are doing poorly in school due to their family dynamics?

Unfortunately you misread my posts. I don't dispute the value of the strong family structure. I simply have been asserting that it is in the public interest to provide a quality education starting in early childhood.

Family dynamics are unfortunately a tough hurdle for too many, but the public money spent correctly to provide children options is far better spent here as opposed to the republican alternatives.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Unfortunately you misread my posts. I don't dispute the value of the strong family structure. I simply have been asserting that it is in the public interest to provide a quality education starting in early childhood.

Family dynamics are unfortunately a tough hurdle for too many, but the public money spent correctly to provide children options is far better spent here as opposed to the republican alternatives.

Again, this is not about a political solution. And in order to help the MOST kids going forward then we need to sit down and look at ways to improve family dynamics. And no amount of money can do that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:19 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Thx

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:22 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Again, this is not about a political solution. And in order to help the MOST kids going forward then we need to sit down and look at ways to improve family dynamics. And no amount of money can do that.

But that's not the issue. There is an undeniable good in the investments into public not for profit, non religious education to attempt to work around that unfortunate teality.

Especially since we will agree to respectfully disagree about MOST

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:36 pm 
Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

The larger question is, who would subsidize that level of borrowing on a private scale in order to help others pay for college?

And we all know the answer is no one. So, short of public funds being made available, there would not be any college for MANY.

think you're trying to create an argument that doesn't exist. Yes the government backs student loans, but like people have said, that is paid back with interest. If there is free money from the public for this, then could you let me know how to get some of that thrown my way when my check to the Dioscese is due next month?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

But that's not the issue. There is an undeniable good in the investments into public not for profit, non religious education to attempt to work around that unfortunate teality.

We are going to have respectfully disagree about what the issue is then.

CPS spends $16K per student and schools are failing left and right.

Most private schools spend less for better outcomes fore the kids.

CPS is already getting more and doing less with it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:08 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

We are going to have respectfully disagree about what the issue is then.

CPS spends $16K per student and schools are failing left and right.

Most private schools spend less for better outcomes fore the kids.

CPS is already getting more and doing less with it.

But as I asked before, how much of that goes into private facilities management, land acquisition and new school construction? Or graft into the pockets of textbook publishers?

It's probably just worse than that of the Pentagon, where no real audit has been done for 70 years because it's politically unpalatable.

But wrong is wrong on both sides and need the daylight disinfectant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:34 pm 

I give RR credit for mentioning bureaucratic waste.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:12 pm 

My question now Seacrest is why get hyperbolic and talk about how CPS could get $100k per student and bow nothing would change? It definitely wrongly tinges the discussion.

And why won't you address my issues about privileged graft by CPS contractors?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:14 pm 

pittmike wrote:
I give RR credit for mentioning bureaucratic waste.

Transparency is the key. All around

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
Baby McNown wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

think you're trying to create an argument that doesn't exist. Yes the government backs student loans, but like people have said, that is paid back with interest. If there is free money from the public for this, then could you let me know how to get some of that thrown my way when my check to the Dioscese is due next month?

First off, nothing is free. But there are Pell Grants and subsidized non-interest loans as well. Grants don't have to be paid back at all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
My question now Seacrest is why get hyperbolic and talk about how CPS could get $100k per student and bow nothing would change? It definitely wrongly tinges the discussion.

And why won't you address my issues about privileged graft by CPS contractors?

Facts have a way a tinging a discussion.

Family dynamics are the larger issue with failing schools.

And you point out graft from CPS contractors, but want the CPS to get even more money. Where is the logic in that?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next