It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sam Zeif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Nas wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Nas wrote:
I never understood the Obama is a racist thing. He was practically raised by 2 white grandparents with midwestern roots and he appeared to love them far more than his absent father and mother who was constantly traveling the world to find herself. I think fitting in with white kids before college was far easier for him than blacks. Chicago and music helped him connect with blacks. If anything I would think he hated black men.

I never called him racist that I recall but I was pretty drunk during his administration. I always wondered why he didn't use his biracial background as you outlined.

He did while campaigning in the rustbelt and rural America. I imagine going overboard with it would have turned off people who didn't think he was "black enough".

Yeah I assumed it might have to do with the not black enough.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I'll make this clear: I don't think Wiley is coming for anyone, nor encouraging others to do so. My cursory reading about him leaves me with the impression that he likes to be provocative, and his "beheading" paintings certainly are that, especially because I get the feeling he wanted people to take the paintings literally at first blush, then trust that buzzword-laden defenses of his work would suffice to make those people who did exactly what he intended seem dumb and uncultured. They are also just art. However, art is not immune from critique nor criticism.

That's art. It's supposed to be provocative.

The Yankee Pedlar isn't provocative, does that mean it isn't art?

Regardless, the provocative nature of the paintings doesn't mean that the displeasure at depicting racial violence, and subtly hinting at a larger clashing of races given the story of the source material, is somehow "dumb" as you painted it or "wrong" as did Nas. Especially when the artist says "kill whitey" informed the piece(s).

I didn't say it was dumb. I said the way Carlson tried to position the paintings was race baiting. Which of course it was and much of the Fox audience will eat it up. The segment was designed as such.

Also, you're purposely taking Wiley's "kill whitey" comment out of context. Regardless, Wiley is as entitled to be a bigot as anyone, if in fact he is. The point of the segment, as you well understand, was to smear Obama as a "racist" through his portrait artist.

I don't know what the segment was about, I didn't see it. 8 had presumed it was about another miscalculation by Obama in his series of attempts to stay woke, coinciding with his pardoning of a violent terrorist, etc.

You made this about misunderstanding Wiley's "oeuvre", not about whether Obama commissioning his official portrait from a possible bigot or advocate of violent racism makes Obama an advocate of same by proxy. This is a complete shifting of the goalposts. But now that Wiley's "oeuvre" has been discussed a little deeper regarding the beheading paintings, you want to talk about how absurd it is to call Obama a racist because the artist of his portrait might be. And it is absurd, it's just not what you originally wanted to talk about.

:lol: It hasn't been discussed deeper. You came at it exactly the way Carlson did.

This is how you described Carson's discussion:

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
They were obviously unfamiliar with Wiley's oeuvre and seemed ignorant to the fact that the paintings were based on classic pieces.

So if I discussed the story behind the original painting on which Wiley's were based, how could I possibly "come at it the exact same way Tucker did" when you said specifically that Tucker was unaware of the classical basis for Wiley's works?

You began this by saying that Tucker and Co. fundamentally misunderstood Wiley's work, especially as it pertains to the beheadings portraits—which has literally nothing to do with Obama...

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I saw dumbfuck Tucker and Mark Steyn- who I usually get a kick out of- completely misunderstand Wiley's work

...and now want to discuss how silly it is to say Obama is a racist for hiring Wiley.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The point of the segment, as you well understand, was to smear Obama as a "racist" through his portrait artist.

See the disconnect?

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Maybe you don't notice it, but you're doing to Kehinde Wiley (although not directly) exactly the thing that upsets you so much when Regular Reader does it to you.

Such as?

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
And I don't know why you keep putting "oeuvre" in quotes. if you're trying to make some point that a black artist's art might be about his personal experiences in America, I would suggest he wouldn't be much of an artist if they weren't.

Because I wanted to be seen as directly quoting you, because you framed the discussion originally as a lack of understanding of Wiley's artwork, then changed it up to want to discuss labeling Obama as a racist by proxy for hiring Wiley.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
They obviously had no idea about Wiley's artwork. You admit you didn't see the segment. Guess what? I did, that's why I mentioned it. And if you think it was brought up for any other reason than to throw red meat to the ravenous Fox viewers in the form of suggesting that Obama chose a racist to paint his official portrait, I'd like to know what that reason was. Do you think Tucker and Steyn are going to do a regular Artbeat segment on Tucker Carlson Tonight?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Hannity's House
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
They obviously had no idea about Wiley's artwork. You admit you didn't see the segment. Guess what? I did, that's why I mentioned it. And if you think it was brought up for any other reason than to throw red meat to the ravenous Fox viewers in the form of suggesting that Obama chose a racist to paint his official portrait, I'd like to know what that reason was. Do you think Tucker and Steyn are going to do a regular Artbeat segment on Tucker Carlson Tonight?

Whoa, whoa, slow down. I love art. Thomas Kinkade is the painter of light. Good stuff. Probably not highbrow enough for you snobs at CFMB. That's sad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

So how did I come at it exactly like Carlson did, if Carlson, in your view as the expert who saw the segment, had no idea that Wiley's beheading portraits were based on classics, and I discussed an interpretation of Wiley's work based on the story behind the classic paintings?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:38 pm 

Tucker Carlson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Whoa, whoa, slow down. I love art. Thomas Kinkade is the painter of light. Good stuff. Probably not highbrow enough for you snobs at CFMB. That's sad.

Spaulding is now multing??? :shock: :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I don't get it.