It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Douchebag wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Dick's can sell whatever they please, but what they can't do is violate state discrimination laws when selling those wares they choose to sell.

Can you cite a court case where they have violated state laws?

You forgot to add "were found to". Want to try again?

So that's a no, right?

Oregon's labor review board ruled that Walmart violated its age discrimination laws with a carbon copy policy.

https://www.wweek.com/news/business/201 ... e-to-teen/

Dick's operates stores in 10 cities in Oregon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:31 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Dick's can sell whatever they please, but what they can't do is violate state discrimination laws when selling those wares they choose to sell.

Can you cite a court case where they have violated state laws?

You forgot to add "were found to". Want to try again?

So that's a no, right?

Oregon's labor review board ruled that Walmart violated its age discrimination laws with a carbon copy policy.

https://www.wweek.com/news/business/201 ... e-to-teen/

Dick's operates stores in 10 cities in Oregon.

Is that a court of law?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
IMU wrote:
I just ordered my Kirk Cousins #8 Minnesota Vikings Home Jersey from Dick's yesterday. Great experience.

How is that working out for you?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:13 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Caller Bob wrote:
IMU wrote:
I just ordered my Kirk Cousins #8 Minnesota Vikings Home Jersey from Dick's yesterday. Great experience.

How is that working out for you?

If it came with the grass and blood stains and shame he got today it's a good thing.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:22 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
IMU wrote:
Quote:
Dick’s shares were last down 3.6% but have gained 22% in 2018

and they are still down 40%+ from where they were in December 2016 (down from 60 a share to 35, if you're curious). During that same time period, the S&P has been up 30%

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/guns-dicks-sporting-goods-profitable-875761/amp/

Shareholder value maximized!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
CEO has decided to no longer sell assault rifles at any of their locations.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/business/dicks-major-gun-retailer-will-stop-selling-assault-style-rifles.html

"Assault rifles" :lol: :lol:

LOL. Oh brother....

Another mush brained idiot.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
IMU wrote:
Darkside wrote:
I buy ammo there occasionally.
I'll go to Big R now instead. Or Wal-Mart. Or online.
Not because I'm offended they stopped selling ARs. Because I'm disappointed they decided to use this situation as a chance to gain publicity. They did this once before as well, some may recall. And quietly just sold them again when the noise died down.
Screw these guys. Only thing worth buying at a dicks was ammo anyhow.

From what I understand, they stopped selling AR's at Dick's after Sandy Hook. They never restarted selling AR's at Dick's.

Their hunting and fishing chain of stores, Field & Stream, always sold AR's, until now.

If caring about American lives is publicity, then I hope all businesses chase publicity.

Hahahaha, stopping the sale of a particular firearm = "caring about American lives..."

Hahahah, another mush brained idiot.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:43 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
SomeGuy wrote:
IMU wrote:
Darkside wrote:
I buy ammo there occasionally.
I'll go to Big R now instead. Or Wal-Mart. Or online.
Not because I'm offended they stopped selling ARs. Because I'm disappointed they decided to use this situation as a chance to gain publicity. They did this once before as well, some may recall. And quietly just sold them again when the noise died down.
Screw these guys. Only thing worth buying at a dicks was ammo anyhow.

From what I understand, they stopped selling AR's at Dick's after Sandy Hook. They never restarted selling AR's at Dick's.

Their hunting and fishing chain of stores, Field & Stream, always sold AR's, until now.

If caring about American lives is publicity, then I hope all businesses chase publicity.

Hahahaha, stopping the sale of a particular firearm = "caring about American lives..."

Hahahah, another mush brained idiot.

You can't fool us. We all know you're a big fan of Dicks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:07 am 

Walmart limiting what they sell too. Looks like Dicks showed the world the way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:27 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I was reading this NY Times piece about this as the news last evening really didn't give me the details on this new policy Walmart has taken.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/03/busi ... -guns.html

I had to go to a cnn post to actually get any facts as it seemed to me this Times guy was doing more of an interpretation of Walmart into what he would really want to see. Things like this seemed out of place: "His decision to engage in a meaningful conversation about responsible gun sales in America could give license to other business leaders to enter the conversation." And "But discontinuing all gun sales would only undermine the company’s role in helping develop more responsible processes throughout the industry. My open letter to him suggested he continue to sell some guns because it would give him leverage over the system in a way that would be impossible otherwise."

The Walmart CEO made a policy decision for Walmart and that is how it should be and is their right. I am sure in the long term they think it is better for the company. He is not trying to be some Don Quixote trying to leverage the system and create bans from Arkansas.

The other puzzling thing I noticed was the piece made no mention as CNN had that Walmart will still allow people with concealed permits to carry their weapons in their stores.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:52 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Quote:
After the Parkland shooting, the CEO of Dick’s Sporting Goods, Ed Stack, promised to stop selling all assault rifles and high-capacity magazines. But he went further. He worked with Everytown for Gun Safety, he signed a letter endorsing gun safety legislation, hired lobbyists to push Congressional action, and even destroyed $5 million worth of unsold assault rifles. He made it clear that he was standing with the students against the NRA.

The backlash was intense… For about two weeks. After all, Dick’s caters to hunters and outdoorsmen, who tend to be the target audience for the NRA. It was a bold stand. Then something amazing happened: Dick’s found its sales growing significantly, quarter after quarter after quarter. The stock skyrocketed and has consistently doubled Wall Street expectations this year.

And now?

The Pittsburgh-based chain posted its best quarterly sales result in six years Tuesday, with same-store sales up 6% in the company's third quarter. That comes on top of a better than 3% increase in same store sales in the second quarter, executives noted.

"We saw increases in both average ticket and transactions, as well as growth across each of our three primary categories of hardlines, apparel and footwear,” said Edward W. Stack, chairman and chief executive officer. “As we head into the holiday season, we remain very enthusiastic about our business."

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
My niece and nephew both have Dick's Sporting Goods gift cards on their Christmas lists.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Frank, that’s all fine, they had a great quarter. Keep in mind, they made the change in February 2018, and their same store sales fell by 3.2% during full year 2018 and were flat in the first quarter of 2019. They increased modestly in Q2 and then that great result in Q3.

So you’re comparing a sales increase against a year where the sales had fallen heavily. But yes, their core customers seemed to have moved past the gun sales change.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:06 pm 

Maximizing shareholder value and trying to minimize gun violence!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:14 pm 

I'd hazard a guess their sales increases are probably more do towards their continued market domination and dissaparence of brick and mortar competitors (M.C Sports, Sports Authority, etc.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:19 pm 

But as always, I defer to Deni$ on financial opinions.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:19 am 

CB, the stance hurt them, and they admitted such in the succeeding months. A big part of Dick’s sales increase is coming from strong online results.

In any case, retail stores are always about properly allocating floor space to high margin products that customers want. I am sure their internal numbers told them that they were allocating too much space guns and related products. Long term, it is probably a decent decision. Leave the hunting market to Cabela’s and focus on mainstream sports and clothing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:23 am 

denisdman wrote:
CB, the stance hurt them, and they admitted such in the succeeding months. A big part of Dick’s sales increase is coming from strong online results.
No they didn't admit it. They said exactly what was going to happen and it did.

denisdman wrote:
In any case, retail stores are always about properly allocating floor space to high margin products that customers want. I am sure their internal numbers told them that they were allocating too much space guns and related products. Long term, it is probably a decent decision. Leave the hunting market to Cabela’s and focus on mainstream sports and clothing.
So the stance didn't hurt them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:27 am 

Breaking News: CFMB poster refuses to take the evident 'L'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:37 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
denisdman wrote:
Frank, that’s all fine, they had a great quarter. Keep in mind, they made the change in February 2018, and their same store sales fell by 3.2% during full year 2018 and were flat in the first quarter of 2019. They increased modestly in Q2 and then that great result in Q3.

So you’re comparing a sales increase against a year where the sales had fallen heavily. But yes, their core customers seemed to have moved past the gun sales change.
But that is the point of the article I posted. MANY of the people screaming "BOYCOTT DICK'S" clearly ended up going back to them at some point for something. If everybody who said they were going to Boycott Dick's forever really did, sales would have continued to slide or, at the very least, would not have jumped as high as they have this year.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:54 am 

And more 'core' sporting goods buyers (active athletes, parents with kids in athletic programs) now choose to go to Dick's because they have an increased selection of sports gear and shoes. Their DSG brand is pretty good, for the price.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:58 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:

denisdman wrote:

Rick I already posted all the CEO’s comments where they admitted how their stance hurt them. And IMU you were the one who refused to take the L after I owned you badly in our discussion.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Frank Coztansa wrote:
[ MANY of the people screaming "BOYCOTT DICK'S" clearly ended up going back to them at some point for something. If everybody who said they were going to Boycott Dick's forever really did, sales would have continued to slide or, at the very least, would not have jumped as high as they have this year.

Those people sit on their asses all day watching fox news and drinking bad coffee. they're not out playing tennis and fly fishing.

Though I hear sales of XXL sweatpants have plummeted.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:04 am 

I would trust Dennis' analysis of financials above others. As far as boycott people I am sure many held their ground to not go to Dick's but it isn't really as if most can't get what they want this hunting season. People will go there as it is cheap and available. For the things they do not have they go elsewhere.

Just a sampling this is all still on sale at Dick's helping the bottom line.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/f/rifles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:11 am 

denisdman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:

denisdman wrote:

Rick I already posted all the CEO’s comments where they admitted how their stance hurt them. And IMU you were the one who refused to take the L after I owned you badly in our discussion.
That was when you said you would buy the stock and it was undervalued.

The market spoke. The CEO's comments were saying it was a short term minor issue because the shelves were EMPTY and they were working on filling that space. It wasn't their stance that hurt them. It was a minor blip while they had a temporary disruption to some floor space.

The market has spoken and IMU and I were proven right. I can promise you if the stock was down you would be declaring it a victory. You can't do it when the company is clearly benefiting from the decision.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
pittmike wrote:
I would trust Dennis' analysis of financials above others. As far as boycott people I am sure many held their ground to not go to Dick's but it isn't really as if most can't get what they want this hunting season. People will go there as it is cheap and available. For the things they do not have they go elsewhere.

Just a sampling this is all still on sale at Dick's helping the bottom line.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/f/rifles

The decision that prompted the thread was Dick's decision to stop the sale of assault rifle bans. Assault rifles are not allowed for hunting purposes. In Illinois you cannot use a non-muzzleloader rifle to hunt during gun seasons.

Anyways, in Q1 2019 Dick's pulled all firearms from over 100 stores because their sales weren't maximizing floor space.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:21 am 

The decision to pull guns is/was ultimately a business decision masquerading as social justice. Hunting participation is in steep decline and, like baseball, a dying "sport" primarily buoyed by people over 50. These people have their gear already. You can service them with a replacement here or there but their years of hunting are dwindling.

Better to use that floor space for sports or outdoor activities seeing large participation or growth. Like denis said earlier, Dick's is making the wise decision to let these stragglers be served by specialists in Bass Pro, Cabelas, online shops, etc.

Last edited by Kirkwood on Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:23 am 

The boycott wasn't going to affect Dick's because the participants aren't worth anything to Dick's bottom line. A small sliver that could be easily replaced with gear more relevant to today's popular and growing activities.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:35 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
The boycott wasn't going to affect Dick's because the participants aren't worth anything to Dick's bottom line. A small sliver that could be easily replaced with gear more relevant to today's popular and growing activities.

You last three posts grasp it. The people buying so called assault rifles are a sliver and unimportant to Dick's bottom line. I would assume in the 100 stores no longer selling any guys also had minuscule gun sales anyway. The loudest protesters of the boycott are a smallish segment of gun owners. They will go to Dick's to get hunting things and Dick's will sell it especially profitable clothing and equipment like safes and tree stands. Not in NYC likely but in PA yes. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:36 am 

I was correct, the stock was undervalued. Their decision also hurt them, and they said that many times over. Longer term, KW is spot on. But up until now, they had one good quarter after four bad ones.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next