It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
denisdman wrote:
I was correct, the stock was undervalued. Their decision also hurt them, and they said that many times over. Longer term, KW is spot on. But up until now, they had one good quarter after four bad ones.

I don't understand why you'd schlep over to Dick's when you can just click "purchase now" from your phone and have it on your doorstep tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:44 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Hatchetman wrote:
denisdman wrote:
I was correct, the stock was undervalued. Their decision also hurt them, and they said that many times over. Longer term, KW is spot on. But up until now, they had one good quarter after four bad ones.

I don't understand why you'd schlep over to Dick's when you can just click "purchase now" from your phone and have it on your doorstep tomorrow.

Much cheaper than Dick's as well often times.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
denisdman wrote:
Rick I already posted all the CEO’s comments where they admitted how their stance hurt them. And IMU you were the one who refused to take the L after I owned you badly in our discussion.

Except you completely ignored that a) investor calls are meant to increase shareholder confidence and b) as Rick said the goal was to bring in more popular and higher margin merchandise, which would increase revenue & profit in the medium to long term.

If you're a CEO or CFO on an earnings call and you have the chance to spin bad performance using a one-time past event in order to boost investor confidence, you're not doing your job if you don't take it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:19 pm 

denisdman wrote:
It is clear that the decision helped them even with a temporary issue in regards to empty floor space. The CEO was saying that was the problem. That is what makes you incorrect.

What you are arguing is like saying that a decision to build a new factory for a company hurt them even if that factory ends up paying for itself in increased profit. It was an issue of empty shelves as they moved new product in and not about the decision to stop selling the original product. Now, they make even more money based on that decision that supposedly hurt them.

I'll ask it this way. If the CEO of Dick's had a time machine and could go back and reverse the decision that you say hurt them, would he?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:24 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Possibly because you're a parent new to the youth sports business & trends and haven't gotten wise to the sports specific websites that have everything at huge discounts. Or you have a child who tends to make everything a last minute affair, so it's back to Tinley Park for you.

I've been both, I'd always try and rationalize both with reliving the fun I had as a kid going into Morrie Mages or Sportmart, but this time with more money than it took to buy the item I needed as a yout.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Regular Reader wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Possibly because you're a parent new to the youth sports business & trends and haven't gotten wise to the sports specific websites that have everything at huge discounts. Or you have a child who tends to make everything a last minute affair, so it's back to Tinley Park for you.

I've been both, I'd always try and rationalize both with reliving the fun I had as a kid going into Morrie Mages or Sportmart, but this time with more money than it took to buy the item I needed as a yout.

"Is this Heaven?"
"No son, It's Sportmart"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:
It is clear that the decision helped them even with a temporary issue in regards to empty floor space. The CEO was saying that was the problem. That is what makes you incorrect.

What you are arguing is like saying that a decision to build a new factory for a company hurt them even if that factory ends up paying for itself in increased profit. It was an issue of empty shelves as they moved new product in and not about the decision to stop selling the original product. Now, they make even more money based on that decision that supposedly hurt them.

I'll ask it this way. If the CEO of Dick's had a time machine and could go back and reverse the decision that you say hurt them, would he?

Rick I went back and re-read what I wrote on page 14. I simply pasted the notes from the conference calls about the facts of what was going on. The decision hurt them, and they admitted it. That is what my posts showed, and that is what I am saying right now.

The CEO would not change course if he could. Clearly it is working now. They experienced a lot of pain in 2018 and early 2019, but it appears to be a good long term decision probably akin to CVS dumping cigarettes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:38 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Rick I went back and re-read what I wrote on page 14. I simply pasted the notes from the conference calls about the facts of what was going on. The decision hurt them, and they admitted it. That is what my posts showed, and that is what I am saying right now.
We tried to explain to you what he was actually saying. It was a short term hit that would pay off long term and it did.

denisdman wrote:
The CEO would not change course if he could. Clearly it is working now. They experienced a lot of pain in 2018 and early 2019, but it appears to be a good long term decision probably akin to CVS dumping cigarettes.
Exactly. This is what IMU and I were saying and you kept on saying we were wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Seacrest wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Much cheaper than Dick's as well often times.

Last minute (kids needs item in 2 hours for practice) Dicks is the only game in town, sadly. Even Play it Agains are getting shut down.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Regular Reader wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Sportmart was glorious as a kid. My parents hated the big box stores but man, they had everything.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Sportmart was glorious as a kid. My parents hated the big box stores but man, they had everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IDTb1q01n4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:42 pm 

Close this discussion down. It's over. One side was right!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/10/business/dicks-sporting-goods-remove-guns-from-440-stores/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:46 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

B-B-But the Second Amendment! :cry:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Well, at least now we have the gun problem solved.
phew!

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:50 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
Well, at least now we have the gun problem solved.
phew!

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Dick's is smart to escape a business where people will just be 3D printing the items for free. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
I will be supporting Dick's even more now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:03 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Caller Bob wrote:
I'm sure you will.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
I'm sure you will.
Caller Bob will finally put his money where his mouth is.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Please be honest with me: You know this has nothing to do with the legal question of whether Dick's could discriminate against gun buyers who are otherwise legally allowed to purchase and own firearms, right? Like hahaha yeah, this is your bit but....come on, right?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:19 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
I'm sure you will.
Caller Bob will finally put his money where his mouth is.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:21 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Please be honest with me: You know this has nothing to do with the legal question of whether Dick's could discriminate against gun buyers who are otherwise legally allowed to purchase and own firearms, right? Like hahaha yeah, this is your bit but....come on, right?

No one in this thread argued that Dick's was legally required to sell guns. There were many other things they were wrong about though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:36 pm 

Look at Comrade Juice trying to tamper with the free market with more regulations.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
I spoke to the local outdoors area guy at dicks and he was like we didn't sell very many guns before this whole ordeal and now quite frankly its next to nothing. So we have a market that is taking up tons of retail space that we aren't selling.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Dick’s Reports Worst Post-Pandemic Earnings, Blames Shoplifting

Syndication: Press and Sun-Bulletin

Dick’s Sporting Goods missed Wall Street’s earnings expectations for the first time in three years, dropping its stock nearly 25% to around $111 as of Tuesday afternoon.

The company reported $2.82 per share in adjusted profit for its second fiscal quarter, compared with expectations of $3.81 per share. Sales rose 3.6% to $3.224 billion — slightly below the $3.238 billion expected.

Shoplifting and employee theft were blamed in part for the poor results.

“Organized retail crime and theft in general is an increasingly serious issue impacting many retailers,” Dick’s CEO Lauren Hobart said on the company’s earnings call. Dick’s chief financial officer Navdeep Gupta added that organized retail crime was “significantly higher” than the company anticipated.

Looking toward end-of-year, Dick’s reduced its expectations for adjusted profits to between $11.50 and $12.30 per share.

Despite the unfavorable financial results, Dick’s stock is still up around 600% from the end of March 2022, as the company has largely been able to capitalize on increased interest in athletic gear, at-home workout equipment, and other sporting activities like golf, tennis, and pickleball.

Corporate Layoffs
Dick’s reportedly let go of 250 employees this week, according to Bloomberg. As of January, it had employed nearly 53,000 full- and part-time workers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:45 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I thought they had insurance?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
It's probably climate change or the unvaccinated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Prolly a good decision in hindsight to have fewer guns available to loot.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:03 am 

They should start selling assault rifles to 18 year olds again!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:27 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Brick wrote:
They should start selling assault rifles to 18 year olds again!

If they did that they could rehire the workers who, in turn, would be able to feed, shelter and clothe again!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next