It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Go Bananas!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:32 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
What are they spiking the water with in Norridge?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/p ... story.html

Post subject: Re: Go Bananas!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Find the interview with the Mayor of Norridge, I think it was channel 7. I though he was just some disgruntled crank until they identified him. Norridge is great.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Strange comments. I think I know what she means, but it came out strange:

Quote:
Barajas also expressed concern that some of the comments left on the Change.org petition, referring to the patrons of Go Bananas, were racially charged.

“If you watch the video [of the altercation], it’s a majority of African-Americans involved,” she said. “Are [the petition signers] supporting the closure of a dangerous place, or do they want it shut down to prevent people of color from going there?”

She added: “I’m Hispanic. I don’t want to go into a neighborhood and be looked at as someone who is a danger.”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:47 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Story from last year . Cuz children’s eateries are a great place to start fights

i]
Chuck E. Cheese's will close its troubled Oak Lawn location on or before Dec. 1, according to an agreement reached with village officials.

The deal, approved Tuesday night by the board of trustees, provides a timeline for the company's departure from the village, which has been in the works since last December following a shooting incident involving a patron who had just left the eatery.

The children's restaurant, located at 4031 95th St., announced its intention to leave town rather than face possible license revocation following the shooting, but has remained open as it finalizes its transition out of town.

Mayor Sandra Bury said the village's decision to allow Chuck E. Cheese's ample time to plan and carry out its exit strategy instead of taking a more hard line approach would benefit taxpayers in the long run.

"Following [a hard line approach] would almost certainly lead to litigation," she said. "And if that would be the case, they would have the right to stay open potentially for years while this went through the courts.

"This is probably the most efficient way, once the decision was made that they were leaving, this was the best way to facilitate that for them."

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
In addition to setting a drop dead departure date for Chuck E. Cheese's, the agreement contains a number of other provisions that protect the village if additional incidents were to occur at the restaurant in the intervening months.

Embattled Chuck E. Cheese's announces intention to close Oak Lawn restaurant
For one, Oak Lawn retains its right to initiate license revocation proceedings in the event of future violent episodes at the restaurant, Bury said.

Paid Post LEARN MORE

The best way to personalize your home
Design bloggers Ryan and Michelle Knox show how to beautifully — and simply — namesake your home.

SPONSORED CONTENT BY Menards
It's also gotten Chuck E. Cheese's to agree not to seek a renewal of its business license, which is set to expire on April 30.

Rather than sign a standard one-year renewal with the company, the village will extend its current license in 60-day increments starting on April 30 as a way to monitor the progress of Chuck E. Cheese's transition out of town and ensure it adheres to license requirements. The agreement stipulates that Chuck E. Cheese's must notify the village on a monthly basis starting in July about the progress of its move.

Bury said she's hopeful there won't be any more violent incidents at the restaurant before it closes, and commended Chuck E. Cheese's for working with the village to create a safer and more controlled environment inside the restaurant for patrons and employees.

To that end, the company has agreed not to reduce any of the security measures it currently has in place, including the multiple off-duty police officers it employs inside the restaurant, for as long as it stays in business.

Man says he was shot in Evergreen Park after leaving Chuck E. Cheese's in Oak Lawn
Chuck E. Cheese's also will close two hours earlier on Friday and Saturday nights — 8 p.m. instead of 10 p.m. — starting July 22, per the terms of the agreement.

Bury said that while some trustees wanted the restaurant's hours of operation cut immediately, doing so would force the cancellation of multiple birthday parties that had already been booked. She called the delayed reduction in weekend hours a compromise, but not an unreasonable one.

"I think there's a lot of wisdom in the reduced hours," she said.

A spokeswoman for CEC Entertainment, Chuck E. Cheese's parent company, declined comment on its exit agreement with Oak Lawn and its future plans in the area.

Village officials have alluded to the possibility that Chuck E. Cheese's extended transition out of town is due to its efforts to first establish a new location nearby, but the company has thus far declined to confirm any such plan.

Evergreen Park mayor James Sexton, whose community was one rumored landing spot for Chuck E. Cheese's, said Wednesday that he hadn't heard from the company and didn't believe the new Evergreen Plaza or anywhere else in town could accommodate the restaurant.

"We don't have a location besides the Plaza that would fit their needs," he said, adding that he didn't expect to hear from Chuck E. Cheese's about relocating to the Plaza because, "The Plaza is spoken for."

If Chuck E. Cheese's does end up relocating elsewhere in the Southland, it remains to be seen whether its baggage will follow.

Despite the company's numerous attempts to improve security at the Oak Lawn location over the years, the restaurant has long maintained a reputation for attracting a "pretty volatile mix," officials said.

Since 2011, Oak Lawn police have responded to more than 300 calls and made more than two dozen arrests at the restaurant, mostly for battery and disorderly conduct, according to village data.

Last December, a motorist was shot near the Oak Lawn-Evergreen Park border shortly after reportedly leaving Chuck E. Cheese's.

The victim, a Chicago resident, told police he had just left the Oak Lawn Chuck E. Cheese's and was driving east on 95th Street near Springfield Avenue in Evergreen Park when a person in a black Jeep-like vehicle also traveling east fired shots at him, police said.

The wounded motorist, who was able to drive himself to nearby Advocate Christ Medical Center, was treated for injuries to his lip and lower back, and released, police said. The car's three passengers, two of whom were juveniles, were not injured, Evergreen Park Police Capt. Peter Donovan said.

When the Oak Lawn Chuck E. Cheese's does eventually close — Bury believes the restaurant will shutter before the Dec. 1 deadline, likely over the summer — the village and property owner Kimco Realty will have some decisions to make about the shopping center's future.

A study commissioned and approved by the village in 2014 identified the Oak Lawn Shopping Center as a potential "gateway development" into Oak Lawn's bustling 95th Street Corridor, and singled it out as one of two spots along the stretch that were ripe for redevelopment.

"It is on everybody's radar as an opportunity," said Bury, adding that she's encountered many residents with questions about the shopping center's future while out campaign for re-election.

While informal conversations about the shopping center — which the 2014 study envisioned as either institutional use, i.e. medical or educational facilities, or as a large format retail center — are taking place, no formal meetings or discussions about its future have occurred, she said.

"I think it's prudent to have discussions about it, but more than that, at this point, no," Bury said.

Kimco, the shopping center's owner, declined comment on future redevelopment of the site.

[/i]

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:10 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
tommy wrote:
Strange comments. I think I know what she means, but it came out strange:

Quote:
Barajas also expressed concern that some of the comments left on the Change.org petition, referring to the patrons of Go Bananas, were racially charged.

“If you watch the video [of the altercation], it’s a majority of African-Americans involved,” she said. “Are [the petition signers] supporting the closure of a dangerous place, or do they want it shut down to prevent people of color from going there?”

She added: “I’m Hispanic. I don’t want to go into a neighborhood and be looked at as someone who is a danger.”

Seems like there’s been many problems there .

Police have been called to Go Bananas, an indoor amusement center in Norridge, nearly 30 times in the past year, police records show.

Since April 2015, police have been called to the business in the mostly vacant strip mall off the 4500 block of Harlem Avenue for calls of battery, theft, counterfeit currency and fighting.

Most of the fights that reportedly have broken out, either inside the 25,000-square-foot arcade area or in the parking lot during the past year, involve parents who usually blamed the dispute on an incident involving their kids, including a disturbance in April when a 23-year-old man and a 26-year-old woman accused each other of punching one another in the face in parking lot after the woman accused the man of stealing her child's coat.

Police were called again the next evening at about 6 p.m. when the parent of a 13-year-old boy started a verbal altercation with a 24-year-old she accused of yelling at her son. In August 2015, another fight broke out between a man and a woman who started yelling at each other for unknown reasons

No arrests were made in either of those incidents, according to police.

Another fight that broke out on Feb. 26 spilled out of the building and into the parking lot, where someone called police to report between 10 and 20 people had started arguing. Police broke up the fight, and no one was arrested, according to police records.

Go Bananas owner Jerrold Marks did not return calls seeking comment this week, but Marks told the Pioneer Press in April that his employees undergo extensive safety training, including learning how to protect customers when fights break out. He also pointed out that no one has been injured during any fighting incidents recorded by the police.

Five years ago, Go Bananas made national headlines when a 3-year-old child slipped out of a ride and was killed.
Responding to the ongoing police activity, Norridge Mayor James Chmura said the village has few options for closing Go Bananas because Marks has a multi-year lease on the property that won't expire for at least a decade.

"It's not the kind of business we want to see in this community," Chmura said. "We have our situations over there, but we're confident the police are monitoring it."

In August of last year, someone called police after seeing two men smoking marijuana in a gold Pontiac minivan, police said. The men, who the caller said were waiting for their kids, were gone by the time police arrived.

A number of the police-involved incidents have taken place in the parking lot. Its location on the west side of the Jo-Ann Fabrics store puts the Go Bananas parking lot at a relatively far distance from Harlem Avenue, where motorists would otherwise have a clear line of sight to the parking area.

A woman leaving Go Bananas after a family birthday party in July 2015 started blaring her car horn after her stepson approached her vehicle in the parking lot and began screaming at her and pounding on the window, police said. He followed her out of the parking lot and jumped out of his vehicle about two blocks later as she was stopped in traffic and began pounding on her window again, police said.

She told police she was scared for her safety because she had never seen someone with such rage, according to the police report.

Other police records show an intoxicated man causing a scene in the parking lot in July of last year, and a briefcase containing three bottles of prescription narcotics being reported stolen from a car belonging to a Go Bananas customer who had parked nearby on the 7100 block of West Agatite Avenue while he went inside.

Kids were sometimes involved, including one incident last July when someone called police after seeing a man yelling at his grandson in the parking lot because he struck another child inside Go Bananas. In another incident last September, a parent accidentally locked a 9-month-old in a vehicle in the parking lot and called police.

In 2014, Norridge police charged 27-year-old Reed Klevester of Chicago with battery after he allegedly pushed ahead of a group of children waiting in line for an amusement ride. He allegedly hit a woman in the arm after she confronted him about cutting in line in front of the kids, according to police.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:24 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Telegram Sam wrote:
Find the interview with the Mayor of Norridge, I think it was channel 7. I though he was just some disgruntled crank until they identified him. Norridge is great.

I don't think Chmura is the mayor, I believe he's the village president and a former regular in the Windy City room at Maywood Park.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:12 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUFsdQNqMzc&t=95s

One of Rome's best