It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I have no use for Steve Dahl, but anything that pisses off these whiny millennial fucks that want to rewrite history is okay by me.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8xzk ... t-is-worse

https://5mag.net/features/disco-demolit ... lebration/

Cry more

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Quote:
primarily white crowd destroyed records made by Black and gay artists. It's shameful.

wow, talk about a "bating" headline. Like that's about as fucking irresponsible as it gets from a journalism standpoint.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
sjboyd0137 wrote:
I have no use for Steve Dahl, but anything that pisses off these whiny millennial fucks that want to rewrite history is okay by me.

Cry more

Can the Vice writer go hang out in a bar in the Dominican Republic?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:15 am 

Who knew disco was considered the product of disenfranchised groups. It's almost always portrayed as a materialistic white person phenomenon with John Travolta being the icon.

This new critique of the event is just ad post hoc disingenuity from unknown writers trying to make a name for themselves with a novel take. You see this in literary criticism all the time. It's practically encouraged in university English programs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:17 am 

I just love the White Sox celebrating a game they had to forfeit :lol:

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
conns7901 wrote:

Within the realm of all sports history, this is probably the most recognizable moment in White Sox history.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:19 am 

conns7901 wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:20 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Within the realm of all sports history, this is probably the most recognizable moment in White Sox history.

I would say it is second behind ALMOST signing MANY Machado.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
conns7901 wrote:

yeah :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:21 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

It's probably the second most recognizable moment in Chicago Sports history. The 85 Bears/Super Bowl Shuffle being the only one clearly ahead of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:22 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

It's probably the second most recognizable moment in Chicago Sports history. The 85 Bears/Super Bowl Shuffle being the only one clearly ahead of it.

Actually, Jordan's final shot is probably second.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:29 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:30 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Most memorable White Sox moments nationally:

Throwing a World Series and forfeiting a game.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:31 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Disco Demolition--and the anti-disco movement in general--definitely had a reactionary element.

In many ways, disco represented the Post-WWII dissipation of patriarchal values and the redefinition of masculinity in terms of aesthetics rather than production. Certainly this idea undergirds Saturday Night Fever, which maps the cultural break of a working-class ethnic youth from the traditional mores of his childhood and his embrace of the feminine/feminized world of disco/dance. The radical cultural change underlying Saturday Night Fever sprang from deindustrialization, the collapse of domestic industrial employment, the growing ubiquity of white collar labor, and the incipient hegemony of consumer culture.

The reaction against disco--and the insistence on returning to the aesthetic and underlying values of "classic" rock--represented a refusal to accept shifting definitions of gender roles in a rapidly changing society.

Last edited by Tall Midget on Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:31 am 

conns7901 wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Don't forget the inbreds that assaulted the Royals coach.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:33 am 

FrankDrebin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

We may need to give Jordan his own category.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
good dolphin wrote:
Who knew disco was considered the product of disenfranchised groups. It's almost always portrayed as a materialistic white person phenomenon with John Travolta being the icon.

This new critique of the event is just ad post hoc disingenuity from unknown writers trying to make a name for themselves with a novel take. You see this in literary criticism all the time. It's practically encouraged in university English programs.

At the time, I associated disco with The Bee Gees and John Travolta. It never occurred to me that disco was Black, Latino, or homosexual music. I assumed most guys liked disco because 1) they just liked the music, and/or 2) women liked to dance to disco, guys wanted to have sex with those women, so they liked disco.

Dahl's response was perfect:

Steve Dahl wrote:
We blew up disco records, made fun of the Bee Gees and ‘Saturday Night Fever.’ It goes no deeper than that,” Dahl said in an email Wednesday. “Perception is not always reality. Especially when that perception uses the prism of today to look at events 40 years ago.

“Sometimes a stupid radio promotion is just a stupid radio promotion."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Cry more

9/11 happened way too soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:43 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Disco Demolition--and the anti-disco movement in general--definitely had a reactionary element.

In many ways, disco represented the Post-WWII dissipation of patriarchal values and the redefinition of masculinity in terms of aesthetics rather than production. Certainly this idea undergirds Saturday Night Fever, which maps the cultural break of a working-class ethnic youth from the traditional mores of his childhood and his embrace of the feminine/feminized world of disco/dance. The radical cultural change underlying Saturday Night Fever sprang from deindustrialization, the collapse of domestic industrial employment, the growing ubiquity of white collar labor, and the incipient hegemony of consumer culture.

The reaction against disco--and the insistence on returning to the aesthetic and underlying values of "classic" rock--represented a refusal to accept shifting definitions of gender roles in a rapidly changing society.

tldr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
i'll be in attendance.

patiently waiting for ligue night.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:42 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Tall Midget wrote:

Disco will never be over. It will always live in our minds and hearts. Something like this that was this big, and this important, and this great, will never die. Oh, for a few years, maybe many years, it will be considered passe and ridiculous. It will be misrepresented, and caricatured, and sneered at, or worse, completely ignored. People will laugh about John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, white polyester suits and platform shoes, and going like this. But we had nothing to do with those things and still loved disco. Those who didn't understand will never understand. Disco was much more, and much better than all that. Disco was too great and too much fun to be gone forever. It has got to come back someday. I just hope it will be in our own lifetimes.

Sorry, I've got a job interview this afternoon and I was trying to get revved up. But most of what I said, I believe.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Curious Hair wrote:
Sorry, I've got a job interview this afternoon

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
conns7901 wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Teach us more about White Sox history, Mr Cubs fan.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
good dolphin wrote:

Can confirm.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Tall Midget wrote:

Like some of TM's other posts, I can't tell if this is partially tongue-in-cheek or not. However, I do admire his usage of commas and double dashes. That there is how you do it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Tad Queasy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

At the time, I associated disco with The Bee Gees and John Travolta. It never occurred to me that disco was Black, Latino, or homosexual music. I assumed most guys liked disco because 1) they just liked the music, and/or 2) women liked to dance to disco, guys wanted to have sex with those women, so they liked disco.

Dahl's response was perfect:

Steve Dahl wrote:
We blew up disco records, made fun of the Bee Gees and ‘Saturday Night Fever.’ It goes no deeper than that,” Dahl said in an email Wednesday. “Perception is not always reality. Especially when that perception uses the prism of today to look at events 40 years ago.

“Sometimes a stupid radio promotion is just a stupid radio promotion."
Without reading what I’m sure is a load of dreck authored by someone who wasn’t even alive at the time and based on the responses in the thread so far let me guess. The writer is saying that it was racist and just another example of white people trying to suppress the black man’s inalienable right to dance to music at 120 beats per minute ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:55 pm 

I read it as legit. Saturday Night Fever was a good movie that is unfairly misremembered, like my Last Days of Disco quote above said, as just John Travolta and "Stayin' Alive."

But the outrage over the Sox daring to commemorate the event feels misplaced, because disco lost the battle that night but won the war. Blacks, women, and gays have enjoyed hegemony over popular music for about 25 years now, critics relentlessly patrol the musical landscape with "poptimist" analysis that demonizes the "white male" ethos of writing and performing one's own music, and everyone seems fine with this. People get ostracized for looking at Beyonce the wrong way. Who could ever get away with setting physical media of her music on fire?

And where is the Loop in all this? It got sold to the Christians, who all went off to work in a cornfield in Crystal Lake until that station got sold to the Christians too. This is all beyond harmless.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
It's funny reading these pieces written by people who have no clue and are trying to spin a bullshit narrative.

I am the exact Coho Lips demographic and I assure you, "Disco Sucks" was not an anti-gay or anti-black/Latino movement.

Dahl was pissed because he lost his job. Chicago middle and working class kids who liked rock were annoyed because their girlfriends were dragging them to dance clubs.

All this latter day analysis is reading something in that wasn't there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:03 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
All this latter day analysis is reading something in that wasn't there.

You mean to tell me that "how dare you do this two blocks from the church where Frankie Knuckles had his funeral" is just bad-faith lily-gilding?!? Well I never.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Tall Midget wrote:

"This guy up front just said in many ways, disco represented the Post-WWII dissipation of patriarchal values and the redefinition of masculinity in terms of aesthetics rather than production. Certainly this idea undergirds Saturday Night Fever, which maps the cultural break of a working-class ethnic youth from the traditional mores of his childhood and his embrace of the feminine/feminized world of disco/dance. The radical cultural change underlying Saturday Night Fever sprang from deindustrialization, the collapse of domestic industrial employment, the growing ubiquity of white collar labor, and the incipient hegemony of consumer culture, and he wants us to turn off the Zeppelin DVD and put on Chic."

"I'm not here."