It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Isiah Lord Thomas
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
The Missing Link wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Nardi wrote:
It's nobody's business if Hardaway idolized a total pud. That's between him and his God.

In 1981 he was the best player out of Chicago in many eyes and a guy who seemed to be helping out young players in the city. Certainly the best one everpresent in the city summers. Pud status was off back then.

One of the more authentically Chicago guys in terms of NBA players to ever come out of this city in my opinion. I remember listening to one of the Detroit Piston Gms talking about how he intentionally tried to screw up his pre draft interview just so that they wouldn't draft him with the No. 2 pick. Why? Because he wanted to be available for his hometown Bulls team to draft him with the 3rd pick. They took him anyway because they knew what he was up too and leaving Ricky Sobers available for the Bulls with the 3rd pick. And the rest is history.

One of the my guys told me years ago (Ironically) that Jordan told him personally that Isiah Thomas was the toughest player that he ever had to guard in the NBA. He was that damn good.

I’m impressed you didn’t call him “Zeke” once in this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
man of few opinions wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Nardi wrote:
It's nobody's business if Hardaway idolized a total pud. That's between him and his God.

In 1981 he was the best player out of Chicago in many eyes and a guy who seemed to be helping out young players in the city. Certainly the best one everpresent in the city summers. Pud status was off back then.

One of the more authentically Chicago guys in terms of NBA players to ever come out of this city in my opinion. I remember listening to one of the Detroit Piston Gms talking about how he intentionally tried to screw up his pre draft interview just so that they wouldn't draft him with the No. 2 pick. Why? Because he wanted to be available for his hometown Bulls team to draft him with the 3rd pick. They took him anyway because they knew what he was up too and leaving Ricky Sobers available for the Bulls with the 3rd pick. And the rest is history.

One of the my guys told me years ago (Ironically) that Jordan told him personally that Isiah Thomas was the toughest player that he ever had to guard in the NBA. He was that damn good.

I’m impressed you didn’t call him “Zeke” once in this post.

Oh yeah Zeke was one of the more authentically Chicago guys to come of this city. The things that trouble a "man's" soul

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:30 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
I would think Reggie Miller was the toughest. Running around like a maniac.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The Missing Link wrote:
leaving Ricky Sobers available for the Bulls with the 3rd pick.

I know that can't be right. Sobers has to be ten years older than Isiah.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:40 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I definitely didn’t say that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I definitely didn’t say that.

Sorry. I fixed it.

I know Aguirre and Isiah went 1-2 in that draft. I think the Bulls took Woolridge but I don't think he was the third pick.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:15 pm 

It’s fine. Of all the crazy shit that’s posted on here, idle chatter about Ricky Sobers is pretty tame.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
Quote:
There were three players who’d separated themselves in the draft class of 1981: Thomas, a sophomore at Indiana, and juniors Mark Aguirre of DePaul and Buck Williams of Maryland. Dallas had the No. 1 pick and New Jersey the No. 3 pick with the Pistons in the middle and McCloskey hoping the Mavericks wouldn’t pick Thomas.

Somebody else didn’t want the Mavericks to pick him: Isiah Thomas. When he visited Dallas prior to the draft, he told Mavs coach Dick Motta that he didn’t think he’d fit his system and that Aguirre was the best player in the draft. He then irked Mavs owner Donald Carter, who liked to wear cowboy hats, by refusing to don one of his Stetsons for the cameras.

But Thomas wasn’t trying to steer the Mavericks off of him so he could get to the Pistons. He was hoping to land with his hometown Chicago Bulls, who went into the draft with the No. 4 pick.

“He wanted to play in his hometown,” McCloskey recalled. “He told me, ‘You don’t have any players.’ I said, ‘That’s true. But I’ll get you some players.’ ”

Thomas tried the same tactics that worked in Dallas when he visited Detroit, where he met with McCloskey and his trusted longtime scout Will Robinson, who coached Detroit Pershing and all-time great Spencer Haywood before becoming the first black Division I head coach at Illinois State.

“Jack McCloskey was asking me all these questions and I was intentionally answering every one of ’em wrong and finally he looked at me and said, ‘I know what you’re doing but I’m going to draft you at number two if you’re there and you’re going to love it,’ ” Thomas said on a recent podcast with another Chicago native and NBA alumnus, Quentin Richardson. “So he walks out and Will Robinson walks in and Will goes, ‘Champ, if you’re lucky enough to get here to Detroit, this place will love you like no other.’ … And he was right.”

There wasn’t much Thomas could have done to scare off McCloskey, who said he would have taken Thomas with the No. 1 pick over Aguirre, a childhood friend of Thomas from Chicago’s west side and a player McCloskey would shockingly trade for eight years later with the Pistons on the verge of the franchise’s first NBA title. McCloskey was sold after scouting Thomas during his sophomore season and seeing him play “a perfect game.”

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:38 pm 

Nardi wrote:
His story about when Knight came to visit. I know it's abject poverty....but still, it just never seemed quite authentic as it was put out there.

What part of it don't you buy? The part that a roach was crawling right by Knights head?

The part I would like to know the real story about is Isiah's brother and Knight getting into a fight.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
No doubt in my mind that Thomas was street tough. I remember a story early in his career in which some gang members showed up at Thomas home and were met by his mother who had a shotgun in her hands and told these guys to leave him alone and that he was going to go to college and play basketball.

I hated Thomas as a Piston and as a person but there is no question that he was tough and would do anything to win. Purely as a player, though, I wouldn't put him as a top five over-all guard in NBA history. Maybe top ten but no better than that. He wasn't a great shooter and while a very good defender, there were better and certainly bigger guards.

My top NBA guards of all time:

1. Jordan
2. West
3. Magic
4. Kobe
5. Oscar
6. Curry
7. Iverson
8. The Glove
9. Drexler
10 Stockton

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
RFDC wrote:
Nardi wrote:
His story about when Knight came to visit. I know it's abject poverty....but still, it just never seemed quite authentic as it was put out there.

What part of it don't you buy? The part that a roach was crawling right by Knights head?

The part I would like to know the real story about is Isiah's brother and Knight getting into a fight.

We will never know. That is the story that Isiah told about the KKK in Indiana and his brother and Knight getting into it and his brother challenging him to settle it outside. Ike always had a snarky side in virtually every story he said, especially about his perceived injustices received.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11