It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
I enjoy the different takes on Lent.

Here in the entitled NW burbs they seem to push more prayer and alms-giving while going light on the fasting side.

I am also attending a rural parish in central WI. They are way more old school. Their focus seems to be on fasting. Their pastor says no meat on fridays all year, not just during lent. And in his long list of stuff to give up he included giving up sleeping with a pillow. Which for me is a definite non-starter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:18 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
a genius wrote:

Here in the entitled NW burbs they seem to push more prayer and alms-giving while going light on the fasting side.

I am also attending a rural parish in central WI. They are way more old school. Their focus seems to be on fasting. Their pastor says no meat on fridays all year, not just during lent. And in his long list of stuff to give up he included giving up sleeping with a pillow. Which for me is a definite non-starter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
a genius wrote:

My neighbors growing up did the no meat every Friday thing.

My wife tries to remember to do it during Lent. I try to help, but usually forget.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
All Greek Orthodoxers I know do the no meat on Fridays.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Lent....that time of year where I just shake my head and enjoy as much meat as possible on Fridays. :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Growing up we did our best to adhere to the no meat thing. PBJ for lunch and cheese pizza for dinner was simple enough.

I look forward to Lent now for the fish frys.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Spaulding wrote:

Older ones do all year. Younger ones it's more just Lenten Fridays. But during Lent it's all over the map. Two of my aunts fast from meat, dairy, and olive oil all Lent, but other forms of oil are ok. So it's really not hard to fast if you can have a plate of hash browns cooked in canola oil to go along with a bowl of fruit.

When I was younger I fasted for just the last week from meat or fish, all oil except what's in bread, and dairy. Now that I am older and have some health issues requiring some dietary consistency for maintenance, I don't fast any more.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Caller Bob wrote:

My Pillow users probably receive special dispensations.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:53 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Lent led to the invention of my peanut butter and Dorito sandwiches.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:03 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
A true staple of the American farmstead.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:16 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
I just don't get this day, I can get a damn donut any day of the week and not against it either.

It's too complicated for me to explain to you.

How could I ever put into words a feast day before the start of a 40 day fast that is practiced in some form on at least three continents.

No meat on Friday's. Easy there, Gandhi.

I'm referencing Fat Tuesday, Carnivale, Paczki Day, etc., Douchen Muhammad.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:03 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Older ones do all year. Younger ones it's more just Lenten Fridays. But during Lent it's all over the map. Two of my aunts fast from meat, dairy, and olive oil all Lent, but other forms of oil are ok. So it's really not hard to fast if you can have a plate of hash browns cooked in canola oil to go along with a bowl of fruit.

When I was younger I fasted for just the last week from meat or fish, all oil except what's in bread, and dairy. Now that I am older and have some health issues requiring some dietary consistency for maintenance, I don't fast any more.

As a kid I remember that anyone observant never really ate meat on Fridays regardless of religion. Hell we did it in my house by default it seemed.

The other funny thing is that my son just went out to get us Thai food. Since I only ordered two appetizers, I’m breaking a biweekly fast I’ve been doing since April.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
My school from middle school and high school was always fish or some meatless meal on Fridays year round. Had a decent amount of Greek and other eastern orthodox students so maybe this is why. Definitely didn't pass on the oil though or dairy. If it was deep fried or cheese based, was it really cafeteria food?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:54 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
My school from middle school and high school was always fish or some meatless meal on Fridays year round. Had a decent amount of Greek and other eastern orthodox students so maybe this is why. Definitely didn't pass on the oil though or dairy. If it was deep fried or cheese based, was it really cafeteria food?

Nice thing about going to a private school, our lunchroom was more of a deli and there was a grill in the University student center across the street. And a bagel with cream cheese left money for after school crap. Probably back in Ida Noyes hall.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Regular Reader wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Nice thing about going to a private school, our lunchroom was more of a deli and there was a grill in the University student center across the street. And a bagel with cream cheese left money for after school crap. Probably back in Ida Noyes hall.

The financials were tough for the old school when I went there so money was an object. I was probably a bit more informed about that than I should of been with how involved my parents were. When I visit campus now 30 years later I'm always a bit surprised at the changes.