It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Congrats to my college drinking buddy TK for leading his alma mater Gordon Tech to it's first ever state championship. They named the court at G Tech after Tommy, might as well lead them to a title!

Watched the game on TV. Haven't seen Tommy in almost 20 years and holy crap did he age. Can barely recognize him.

Great guy, was a great player back in the day who used to go toe to toe with Penny Hardaway in many battles. Lot of fun to hang out with, always up for a party. Didn't make it in the NBA, but was a cult hero legend in Japan where he had a nice pro career before coming back home.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:06 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
He was a very good player.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
shakes wrote:
Congrats to my college drinking buddy TK for leading his alma mater Gordon Tech to it's first ever state championship. They named the court at G Tech after Tommy, might as well lead them to a title!

Watched the game on TV. Haven't seen Tommy in almost 20 years and holy crap did he age. Can barely recognize him.

Great guy, was a great player back in the day who used to go toe to toe with Penny Hardaway in many battles. Lot of fun to hang out with, always up for a party. Didn't make it in the NBA, but was a cult hero legend in Japan where he had a nice pro career before coming back home.

I coached his niece in AAU.

Good guy, who never once questioned my coaching acumen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
He was a great high school player. His Gordon Tech team was a great team. If not for King he would have won state as a player too. That is when you had to be very good to be good in Chicago as a player.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Sadly reminds me of when DePaul still got talented city kids

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The Missing Link wrote:
He was a great high school player. His Gordon Tech team was a great team. If not for King he would have won state as a player too. That is when you had to be very good to be good in Chicago as a player.

Similar player to Aguirre. Not as good, of course. But the kind of guy who refused to let his teams lose. It took everything that loaded King team had to beat him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8pCcWqhZtk&t=873s

This team he has now is loaded. They have a chance to repeat as State Champs, though I think they'll have to move up to 3A next year. If nobody transfers they may go undefeated in the 24-25 season. The best player in the program is a freshman this year and the Walls kid who transferred in from Kenwood is an absolute stud who didn't get much time after Kamin came back.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:15 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

Similar player to Aguirre. Not as good, of course. But the kind of guy who refused to let his teams lose. It took everything that loaded King team had to beat him.

This team he has now is loaded. They have a chance to repeat as State Champs, though I think they'll have to move up to 3A next year. If nobody transfers they may go undefeated in the 24-25 season. The best player in the program is a freshman this year and the Walls kid who transferred in from Kenwood is an absolute stud who didn't get much time after Kamin came back.

I played against the King team that beat Gordon Tech downstate. Probably the best High School Team in IHSA history. They were that good.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

Coach O has been gone as head coach for a long time. I saw him recently at a regional game, and he still looks good.

There is a great camraderie amongst the the old GT coaches. They still get together every summer for a BBQ with old players and yuck it up.

Winecki was such an idiot. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
I got the chance to see them play in early February when they travelled to Benton Harbor for the Wilson Chandler Invitational. Prep had to play against North Farmington, the number 1 ranked team in Division 1, (1330 enrollment) and were over-matched. They had some good players and continued to work to the end, but lost by about 20. I should have tracked down Coach K and asked him about his drinkin' buddy Shakes!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:46 am 

there is a better one out there from his york days but its funny the camera caught him picking his nose and someone cared enough to put it on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwJDTsAcR0k

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:51 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
The Missing Link wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

I played against the King team that beat Gordon Tech downstate. Probably the best High School Team in IHSA history. They were that good.

The legend of that King team grows every year.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:03 am 

Nas wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

Nah they went undefeated and were No. 1 in the country. They were the business. They could have beat a lot of D1 teams. I haven't seen all or most of the celebrated teams in Illinois but I can't remember any of them that were reputed to be No. 1 in the country.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:40 am 

Seacrest wrote:
shakes wrote:

I coached his niece in AAU.

Good guy, who never once questioned my coaching acumen.

no surprise there. Tommy was a real player who gets it. 99% of real players end up becoming very good sports fathers who know how to act at their kid's games. It's never those guys who give the coach problems. It's the idiots who never played a minute of competitive sports at any elevated level, those are the morons who get on their kids' coaches.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:16 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
Nas wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

Nah they went undefeated and were No. 1 in the country. They were the business. They could have beat a lot of D1 teams. I haven't seen all or most of the celebrated teams in Illinois but I can't remember any of them that were reputed to be No. 1 in the country.

saw an article that listed the top 75 teams in high school history nationwide. They had that King team 4th in Illinois history behind only 90-91 Proviso East, 71-72 Thornridge and 94-95 Farrugut.

Right behind King is Rose's Simeon team and the great Peoria Manual team of the mid 90s.

Did Farrugut even win the title that year?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
shakes wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Nas wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

saw an article that listed the top 75 teams in high school history nationwide. They had that King team 4th in Illinois history behind only 90-91 Proviso East, 71-72 Thornridge and 94-95 Farrugut.

Right behind King is Rose's Simeon team and the great Peoria Manual team of the mid 90s.

I don't think they even got to the state championship.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
shakes wrote:

I don't think they even got to the state championship.

They got bounced in the quarterfinals by the Thornton team with Tai Streets.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
The Missing Link wrote:
They could have beat a lot of D1 teams.

I think Proviso East was better.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:58 am 
Site Admin

The Missing Link wrote:

I don't think even Thornridge could have beaten a lot of D1 teams.

But there have been a lot of great high school teams in Illinois. Hirsch with John Robinson and Rickey Green. The Gordon Tech team with Lee Arthur Scott that wasn't eligible for the state playoffs that some people thought could have beaten Buckner's team. You could go back to the Taylorville team with Bontemps and Orr. Evanston in '68 with Bob Lackey. The Benji Simmons team. There are a lot of them.

I couldn't say that King team was the best. They were the biggest and deepest, no doubt. Pretty sure Mike Irvin was even on that squad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Bennys
The Missing Link wrote:

Yeah that was a great team. At the time I thought Finley was the least talented of Ford, Boyce and him. And he may have been but I think the others struggled academically.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:24 pm 

The Missing Link wrote:

They had their chance but they got bounced in 90. Can't remember who bounced them however. They were a great team in 91 though.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:26 pm 

shakes wrote:

It would definitely be an argument with any of those teams listed above. Can't go wrong with any of them.
The Farragut team with Ronnie Field's and Garnett came along in 94 and 95 but they won neither city or state that year if memory serves correct. It was tough back then. Even with great talent.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Last edited by The Missing Link on Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:29 pm 

shakes wrote:

Shakes were you at Depaul with my guy Belefia Parks. Aka "Lieutenant"? That Crazy Mfer. He played on the same Depaul team as Kleinschmidt back then.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

The Missing Link wrote:

The Farragut team with Ronnie Field's and Garnett came along in 94 and 95 but they won neither city or state that year. It was tough back then. Even with great talent.

They did win the Public League Supersectional in '95. That's how they ended up losing to Thornton.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:32 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

The Farragut team with Ronnie Field's and Garnett came along in 94 and 95 but they won neither city or state that year. It was tough back then. Even with great talent.

They did win the Public League Supersectional in '95. That's how they ended up losing to Thornton.

I was away at school and couldn't remember. Yeah you're right. back then you had to win city in order to go downstate. I just remember them losing to Thornton.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

The Missing Link wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

I was away at school and couldn't remember. Yeah you're right. back then you had to win city in order to go downstate. I just remember them losing to Thornton.

I think they may have beaten Carver.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:39 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

With Nick Irvin? I think you're right. That Farragut team was loaded. I didn't get to see Garnett play that year in high school but I watched him in the Pro Am at De La Salle that summer after he turned pro. It was a who's who of Chicago talent. Both High School, College and Pro. Saw him destroy a Pete Myers after being fresh out of high school. It was obvious he should have turned pro.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

i think not.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

man of few opinions wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

i think not.

:lol: :lol: Coolidge was too much for Garnett to handle. He would have been a great NBA player if he hadn't gotten hurt and been forced to take a job a an orderly at St. Eligius Hospital.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:55 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
This thread is bringing back some great memories of when I would go to the state tournament with my Dad. He was a U of I grad and we always had to stop at his old watering holes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Bringing back great memories of Proviso West holiday tournaments here.