It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:19 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The Missing Link wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
That's why Underwood made the smart decision to stick with the Irvins rather than kissing Simeon's ass and take their "B" players only to have the real superstars go to Memphis or Duke.

Yep. Riding the Simeon Wave has killed one of my really good friends that is a college coach for decades. He is really close with Robert Smith, but he never was able to sign the All American types like Rose or Parker. Couldn't even get them to visit campus. However he could get the C list type guys to sign and soon transfer because they were playing above their level.
I once asked him about a dude he'd signed and he told me "what people don't know is that he guarded Derrick Rose everyday in practice". I said so don't sign the dude that guarded Derrick Rose in practice, sign Derrick Rose. Or at least another starter from that squad. You signed the backup to play mid major D1 ball from a team that aside from Rose were really D2 guys :lol: :lol:

I don't blame Smith either. I'm sure he wanted to deliver the big guys to Illinois. He just didn't have the influence over them. The days of the high school coach controlling a kid's recruiting are over.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:21 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
The Missing Link wrote:
shakes wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
shakes wrote:

saw an article that listed the top 75 teams in high school history nationwide. They had that King team 4th in Illinois history behind only 90-91 Proviso East, 71-72 Thornridge and 94-95 Farrugut.

Right behind King is Rose's Simeon team and the great Peoria Manual team of the mid 90s.

Did Farrugut even win the title that year?

Shakes were you at Depaul with my guy Belefia Parks. Aka "Lieutenant"? That Crazy Mfer. He played on the same Depaul team as Kleinschmidt back then.

Yep, graduated in 94 the year he was there. I remember the name and can kind of picture him, but don't recall having any interaction with him. Only guys on the team I hung with were Tommy and Will Macon. A couple other guys I got to know when I was in law school and running the law school intramueral (sp) league, I fired all the expensive refs and hired guys from the team to come in and ref for half the price.

I was in a grad achool class with Andy Laux. He was there a little before you (played with Strickland) and I remember him having some interesting things to say about Pat Kennedy at the time. I could tell that he was not a huge fan.

I remember Andy Laux or at least the name. I was in the stands at the Horizon in 87 for the big OT win by DePaul over St Johns. Strickland vs Jackson, the pride of NYC on the line in Chicago.

We all hated Pat Kennedy and wanted him fired. Ironically, 20 years later I'd give anything to have a guy like Pat Kennedy again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:22 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Hell of an era.

Yeah East had 3 pros on that 91 team. Donnie Boyce was probably the best of the bunch but the knee injury derailed his career. Watching the game this weekend and Kenny McReynolds stated that Ben Wilson was the best high school player he'd ever seen. I was in elementary school when he was killed but i did see a little bit of him. Disagree with that statement though.

Who was the best?

I never saw him play--just the highlights, but a senior guard at MC told us that he was "easily" the best player in the state that year.

Christ, even if he were half as good as advertised, the Illini very likely win it all.

Boyce was fun to watch. That whole team was fun to watch.

No, they wouldn't have.

Looks like Dr. Ken isn't the only irretrievably deluded Illini fan around here.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They very likely would have TM. Ben Wilson, Nick Anderson, Kendall Gill, Marcus Liberty, Kenny Battle, Stephen Bardo, Larrry Smith, Lowell Hamilton (who was better than Bardo) would have been favorites to win it all.

They should have won it all anyway. If they played Michigan ten times they would have beaten them 8 or 9.

That's the truth. They bombed them at Michigan not long before.

Tall Midget, if you ever compare me with that assh**e Dr. Ken again, you can kiss your password goodbye. Besides, as a Bemidji State (Go Beavers!) alum who bleeds green and white, I speak objectively here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
shakes wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
shakes wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
shakes wrote:

saw an article that listed the top 75 teams in high school history nationwide. They had that King team 4th in Illinois history behind only 90-91 Proviso East, 71-72 Thornridge and 94-95 Farrugut.

Right behind King is Rose's Simeon team and the great Peoria Manual team of the mid 90s.

Did Farrugut even win the title that year?

Shakes were you at Depaul with my guy Belefia Parks. Aka "Lieutenant"? That Crazy Mfer. He played on the same Depaul team as Kleinschmidt back then.

Yep, graduated in 94 the year he was there. I remember the name and can kind of picture him, but don't recall having any interaction with him. Only guys on the team I hung with were Tommy and Will Macon. A couple other guys I got to know when I was in law school and running the law school intramueral (sp) league, I fired all the expensive refs and hired guys from the team to come in and ref for half the price.

I was in a grad achool class with Andy Laux. He was there a little before you (played with Strickland) and I remember him having some interesting things to say about Pat Kennedy at the time. I could tell that he was not a huge fan.

I remember Andy Laux or at least the name. I was in the stands at the Horizon in 87 for the big OT win by DePaul over St Johns. Strickland vs Jackson, the pride of NYC on the line in Chicago.

We all hated Pat Kennedy and wanted him fired. Ironically, 20 years later I'd give anything to have a guy like Pat Kennedy again.

Yeah Pat Kennedy put them back on the map. And played the game too.
Yeah Strickland and Comegys stole that game against St. John's at the end as I remember.
I got the feeling from Laux that his dislike of Pat Kennedy had a lot to do with his loyalty to Ray and Joey Meyer than anything

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:31 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
state championships were must watch tv, even for a little kid

now, I barely watch my own team play in it

different world

Going to four classes was a bad idea. People complained when they went to two. You'll never have a Hebron or a Cobden again. Of course it's not likely that some little hillbilly team from a school with an enrollment of 100 is going to knock off Simeon or New Trier, but if it happened once every twenty-five years it would be worth it.

The shot clock is going to kill the chances of a lot of those downstate teams now anyway.

One more thing. I can't say enough about Rob Walls from DePaul Prep. I would compare him to Howard Nathan. He's that quick. I don't know why he left Kenwood. I would guess playing time. I hope he doesn't leave DePaul for the same reason. If he can get through next season, he'll be a superstar on a super team in 24-25.

I got a facebook update from a person I strongly dislike about how proud they were to be part of the program. The kid played on the freshman team.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:33 am 

conns7901 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

One more thing. I can't say enough about Rob Walls from DePaul Prep. I would compare him to Howard Nathan. He's that quick. I don't know why he left Kenwood. I would guess playing time. I hope he doesn't leave DePaul for the same reason. If he can get through next season, he'll be a superstar on a super team in 24-25.

Kenwood had two kids with D1 offers coming off their bench this year. They also added what would have been a starter at Hillcrest and he was relegated to mop up duty this year.

One of the guys from old neighborhood's sons is one of the best freshman guards in the state and attends Kenwood Jorr. I think they may have had something to do with the Walls kid transferring.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:44 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Hell of an era.

Yeah East had 3 pros on that 91 team. Donnie Boyce was probably the best of the bunch but the knee injury derailed his career. Watching the game this weekend and Kenny McReynolds stated that Ben Wilson was the best high school player he'd ever seen. I was in elementary school when he was killed but i did see a little bit of him. Disagree with that statement though.

Who was the best?

I never saw him play--just the highlights, but a senior guard at MC told us that he was "easily" the best player in the state that year.

Christ, even if he were half as good as advertised, the Illini very likely win it all.

No, they wouldn't have.

:lol: :lol:

Which is your favorite mythical championship? This Illini team or the 94 White Sox?!?!?!

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:16 am 

shakes wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Hell of an era.

My favorite part about 1991 was years later when I was in law school at DePaul I put together a really good team of law students and we went on to win the DePaul open division intramural league. In the semi's beat a team of all former DePaul players and current walk ons. They had Terry Davis as well as Jim Mitchum at center. we best them pretty good and TD was so mad he threw a chair across the gym. Couldn't believe he just got worked by a bunch of law students.

We were pretty loaded. Our best player was a guy who started as a freshman for some games at TCU at point guard before tearing his ACL and transferring to D3. He started at Arkansas vs Todd Day and Lee Mayberry and years later he's playing intramurals with us.

But we also had this guy....and he wasn't even our second best player....

https://www.ihsa.org/archive/bkb/mm/1991baa.htm
All-Tournament Team
Player & School Ht. Yr.
Dan Cross, Carbondale 6-2 Jr.
Michael Finley, Maywood (Proviso East) 6-4 Jr.
Sherrell Ford, Maywood (Proviso East) 6-6 Jr.
Howard Nathan, Peoria (Manual) 5-11 Jr.
Matt Williams, Libertyville 6-4 Jr.

Our buddy was first team all state all tournament team along with Finley, Ford and Howard Nathan. He didn't move too well, but he could knock down shots like it was pop a shot.

Dan Cross from Carbondale. We had an open run down the way while we were in high school and my guy brought him down for the run. Later Played at Florida.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:18 am 

The Missing Link wrote:

Yeah Strickland and Comegys stole that game against St. John's at the end as I remember.
I got the feeling from Laux that his dislike of Pat Kennedy had a lot to do with his loyalty to Ray and Joey Meyer than anything

Comegys missed the free throw on purpose and it was Kevin Edwards who grabbed the rebound and laid it in to force OT. I think Strickland won the battle vs Jackson, but I don't remember. Only remember the way regulation ended.

Andy laux, was he about 6'2 with black hair?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:21 am 
Site Admin

shakes wrote:

Yes. And every time he touched the ball I prayed he would immediately pass it to someone else. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:28 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
shakes wrote:

Yes. And every time he touched the ball I prayed he would immediately pass it to someone else. :lol:

he was no Peter Patton that's for sure!

BTW, love seeing Peter on the bench for the Dallas Mavericks. He's their shooting coach. A little mad he didn't ask me to join the staff after the amazing job I did shagging balls for him when we were alone in the gym at Alumni Hall.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:38 am 

shakes wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

Comegys missed the free throw on purpose and it was Kevin Edwards who grabbed the rebound and laid it in to force OT. I think Strickland won the battle vs Jackson, but I don't remember. Only remember the way regulation ended.

Yep. Strickland brought them back in that game and Comegys missed the free throw intentionally. He dominated Jackson in the 2nd half. I remember the next game against Mitch Richmond and K State too. They were so scared of Strickland Lon Krueger used one of those junk defenses to stop him and K State won.

Laux did have black hair but he was about 6'4- 6'5. He was reputed to be a sharpshooter but he could never give them shit during the big games. Came off the bench but he had a big time high school reputation back then.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:45 am 
Site Admin

The Missing Link wrote:
shakes wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

Yep. Strickland brought them back in that game and Comegys missed the free throw intentionally. He dominated Jackson in the 2nd half. I remember the next game against Mitch Richmond and K State too. They were so scared of Strickland Lon Krueger used one of those junk defenses to stop him and K State won.

Laux did have black hair but he was about 6'4- 6'5. He was reputed to be a sharpshooter but he could never give them shit during the big games. Came off the bench but he had a big time high school reputation back then.

Are you sure you aren't mixing up seasons? Didn't they get bounced by LSU with Daryl Joe having a huge game?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:47 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
shakes wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

Are you sure you aren't mixing up seasons? Didn't they get bounced by LSU with Daryl Joe having a huge game?
I think I am. That was 88 when they lost Richmond. Strickland went pro after that. I'm getting old :lol: :lol: :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
RFDC wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Hell of an era.

Who was the best?

No, they wouldn't have.

:lol: :lol:

Which is your favorite mythical championship? This Illini team or the 94 White Sox?!?!?!

You willingly live in Missouri.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:02 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:30 am 

I watched the Simeon vs Mettamora game and as a result have vowed to never watch another high school game again until they add a shot clock. Disgusting that in the year 2023 we still allow teams to just hold the ball for 5 minutes at a time.

#neveragain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:25 am 

shakes wrote:
I watched the Simeon vs Mettamora game and as a result have vowed to never watch another high school game again until they add a shot clock. Disgusting that in the year 2023 we still allow teams to just hold the ball for 5 minutes at a time.

#neveragain

It has been a huge complaint of coaches and I guess fans too. I know Ty Slaughter has been beating the drums for IHSA to have a shot clock. I kind of go back and forth with it. I kind of like the idea of the scrappy underdog having a legit shot to beat the powerhouse team. It is boring to watch though.

Its sort of ironic that Robert Smith would go down like that in his last game. Taking the air out of the ball has been the "Simeon Way" for about 40 years now. That is sort of what they do once they get up on you.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:46 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
shakes wrote:

#neveragain

It has been a huge complaint of coaches and I guess fans too. I know Ty Slaughter has been beating the drums for IHSA to have a shot clock. I kind of go back and forth with it. I kind of like the idea of the scrappy underdog having a legit shot to beat the powerhouse team. It is boring to watch though.

Its sort of ironic that Robert Smith would go down like that in his last game. Taking the air out of the ball has been the "Simeon Way" for about 40 years now. That is sort of what they do once they get up on you.

Moline won by stalling out the 4th. That's how the played too.

CPS schools already doesn't pay workers for basketball games and rely on kids at the table. Adding a shot clock to the mix will not go well. Our district is not gonna pay the 5-7k per court to set up a shot clock until forced.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:46 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Tall Midget, if you ever compare me with that assh**e Dr. Ken again, you can kiss your password goodbye. Besides, as a Bemidji State (Go Beavers!) alum who bleeds green and white, I speak objectively here.

What the hell? I wasn't even part of this conversation.

I don't think Tall Midget has ever met a person he didn't think was an asshole.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:03 am 

conns7901 wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
shakes wrote:

#neveragain

CPS schools already doesn't pay workers for basketball games and rely on kids at the table. Adding a shot clock to the mix will not go well. Our district is not gonna pay the 5-7k per court to set up a shot clock until forced.

CPS might. Depending on the school and team, they'd easily make that money back over the course of the year.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:21 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
shakes wrote:

#neveragain

CPS might. Depending on the school and team, they'd easily make that money back over the course of the year.

If you were to limit it to only the schools who compete for state titles it wouldn't be much of a cost. You add in the others its a monumental cost. My guess is CPS when it comes time will take care of the haves.

We can't even get 3 refs for a varsity game at some CPS schools. For every Whitney Young there are three schools like Hancock or Kelly.

It is the same in the suburbs for every team that draws a decent gate, there are two teams who lose money or break even on every home game. Then add in the girls games which are money losers almost everywhere.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:26 am 

conns7901 wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
shakes wrote:

#neveragain

If you were to limit it to only the schools who compete for state titles it wouldn't be much of a cost. You add in the others its a monumental cost. My guess is CPS when it comes time will take care of the haves.

We can't even get 3 refs for a varsity game at some CPS schools. For every Whitney Young there are three schools like Hancock or Kelly.

It is the same in the suburbs for every team that draws a decent gate, there are two teams who lose money or break even on every home game. Then add in the girls games which are money losers almost everywhere.

Most (if not all) of the schools would be able to pay for the clock with a simple fundraiser. It wouldn't be that difficult. Score clock is more expensive and every school has that. Some schools have score clocks in every gym in their school.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:49 am 

There has been a lot of talk of shot clock here too. The issue for our school is not paying for equipment but finding extra people to run it all winter. Schools struggle to staff tables already and another extra person will make it even harder

Frank Coztansa wrote: