It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: De’Aaron Fox
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:13 am 

Why should anyone care if someone doesn't like college basketball? I don't like a lot of things. If others like those things it doesn't bother me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:13 am 

Brick wrote:
Why should anyone care if someone doesn't like college basketball? I don't like a lot of things. If others like those things it doesn't bother me.

You mean like the World Cup?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:14 am 

W_Z wrote:
Brick wrote:

You mean like the World Cup?

Everyone likes the World Cup.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
Brick wrote:
Why should anyone care if someone doesn't like college basketball?

Because he is a basketball player that has played at the highest levels of the sport while you are just a would be moderator of this message board perhaps? Just Asking A Question

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
The Missing Link wrote:
shakes wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

Embiid destroyed Jokic in their last match up and considering that Jokic is one of the worst defensive players in the league, hardly a guy anyone with game wants to duck though it does make for a great message board narrative I guess

And it's not a "mediocre" product by any stretch. "WE" wanted parity and now we have "parity".

"Close" games isn't synonymous with "great" games. The game between K-State and FAU was a close game too but it was hardly a "classic" by any stretch. Unless you count hero ball, a bunch of turnovers, and a lot of turnovers as classic.

Embiid has only played in Denver 1 out of the last 6 times they've been there. Tell me again how he destroyed Jokic that ONE TIME.

Notice you didn't talk about all the players missing games to rest. Wonder why?

Yeah because I have talked about that before. It still isn't enough for me to hate the league entirely. I can also talk about all of the guys in the "portal" too but I haven't. Kansas State's entire roster was made up of transfers. How exactly is that good for the "student-athlete" and the spirit of "amateurism"? Just Asking A Question

what's wrong with the transfer portal?

And what does the spirit of amateurism (whatever the F that means) have to do with anything? You know they get paid now right?

And more importantly, how does have anything to do with my contention that NCAA is more competitive than the NBA now? If anything it helps the competitiveness.

I now remember why I have you on ignore and haven't responded to you in over a year. Going back to that now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:28 am 

shakes wrote:
what's wrong with the transfer portal?

Other than 2,000-3.000 "kids" per year signing up for it nothing I guess
shakes wrote:
And what does the spirit of amateurism (whatever the F that means) have to do with anything? You know they get paid now right?

Only about 5% of the athletes are getting paid for their labor. If that many
shakes wrote:
And more importantly, how does have anything to do with my contention that NCAA is more competitive than the NBA now? If anything it helps the competitiveness.

It actually isn't. Only 20% of NCAA teams make the tournament each year. There are over 150-200 schools that haven't made it to an NCAA tournament game at any point this century. How is that for competitiveness?

shakes wrote:
I now remember why I have you on ignore and haven't responded to you in over a year. Going back to that now.

It's really not a loss.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:46 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:
Why should anyone care if someone doesn't like college basketball?

Because he is a basketball player that has played at the highest levels of the sport while you are just a would be moderator of this message board perhaps? Just Asking A Question

Lots of NBA players love college basketball too. Why does it matter?

Fox was in tears after his last college game too so he obviously cared back then. It's still alright if he prefers the NBA.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:59 am 

Brick wrote:
Lots of NBA players love college basketball too. Why does it matter?

Because he is a professional basketball player and an all star at that. As such his opinion will carry more weight than either yours or mine.
Brick wrote:

It's still alright if he prefers the NBA.

Seemingly it ain't. He isn't required to "love" the college game anymore than you or anyone else here is required to "love" the NBA game. He provided his opinion on a question that was posed to him so apparently the person asking must have "cared" enough about what he thought about it.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Last edited by The Missing Link on Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:02 pm 

So we agree. No need to discuss it further.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:02 pm 

Brick wrote:

Speak for yourself.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:05 pm 

The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:

Speak for yourself.

I am. I agree with you that his opinion is valid and he isn't required to like college basketball.

He was crying after his college career ended. I'm just glad he got over that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
What's the deal with NIL comp and Title IX: if a dude athlete gets a fresh whip and sweet deal pimping for the local Chevy dealer does a chick athlete have to get a comparable set up? Seems like this could end up in the courts eventually, if the universities are too involved in it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:19 pm 

Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:

Speak for yourself.

I am.

No you aren't.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:
I refused to watch my kids play little league because they were much worse then the MLB

If you want to watch 2-17 from 3 with 22 turnovers because guys hustle too much and it's close and dramatic, it's a fair point. Guys do hustle too much, the games are close, and it's dramatic. There's some value in that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:25 pm 

Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I refused to watch my kids play little league because they were much worse then the MLB

If you want to watch 2-17 from 3 with 22 turnovers because guys hustle too much and it's close and dramatic, it's a fair point. Guys do hustle too much, the games are close, and it's dramatic. There's some value in that.

I watched corgi races on The Ocho early one saturday morning. True story.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:07 pm 

Hussra wrote:
What's the deal with NIL comp and Title IX: if a dude athlete gets a fresh whip and sweet deal pimping for the local Chevy dealer does a chick athlete have to get a comparable set up? Seems like this could end up in the courts eventually, if the universities are too involved in it.

Not at all. The private actors know that there are only 6-7 teams anyone cares for and maybe 5-6 athletes who can warrant a real deal stretching farther than the old college burg. And Title IX doesn't apply here except for the clueless July types.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:09 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I watched the Dell Match tournament on Saturday, it probably was as entertaining.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
you can bet on ping pong
sorry, "table tennis "

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I watched the Dell Match tournament on Saturday, it probably was as entertaining.

I don't know what either of those are. Frisbee golf is about as low as I sink.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:38 pm 

Hussra wrote:

Schools can't control NIL legally. So Title IX means nothing.

When the big schools start legally paying players it may factor in but it will probably be a revenue sharing model so football and basketball get paid the most.