Bagels wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Who gives a shit if he doesn't like it?

are you new to this message board ?

:lol:

Post subject: Re: De’Aaron Fox
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Three slice field goal
I would rank 7th in scoring on "FL Atlantis" if I were on that squad. That makes them good I think, so fuck the haters.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: What??
I'm also on the Atlantis bandwagon. Me and Graham Hancock.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
At this point the term "Elite 8" is an oxymoron.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:56 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
At this point the term "Elite 8" is an oxymoron.

FAU has a real shot provided they don't constantly throw the ball in the stands. Maybe not. I don't really care. What a shitshow this is.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:59 am 

The play in tournament is going to make this March April Madness in coming years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:18 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Who gives a shit if he doesn't like it?

Exactly. It's ok to like the NBA better especially when you play in the NBA.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Bagels wrote:
shakes wrote:
Bagels wrote:

no thanks, I'll take the sport where guys actually play when they are healthy.

NCAA tournament > NBA playoffs

yea you're a hockey person so your opinion is irrelevant . ping pong > NHL playoffs

:lol: fair enough.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
good dolphin wrote:
Is the NCAA tournament another show that outdraws the NBA for viewership?

That would appear to be the case.
Quote:
According to Sports Business Journal, the tournament featured the most-watched first round in its history. More than 9 million people (9.3 million) watched the games on average. When #16 Fairleigh Dickinson was in the midst of upsetting #1 Purdue, over 11-and-a-half million eyeballs were fixated on the screen.

For comparison, the first two rounds of last season’s NBA Playoffs averaged 3.7 million viewers. Yes, the NCAA Tournament first round games bring in over 2.5 times more eyeballs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:52 pm 

Franky T wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Is the NCAA tournament another show that outdraws the NBA for viewership?

That would appear to be the case.
Quote:
According to Sports Business Journal, the tournament featured the most-watched first round in its history. More than 9 million people (9.3 million) watched the games on average. When #16 Fairleigh Dickinson was in the midst of upsetting #1 Purdue, over 11-and-a-half million eyeballs were fixated on the screen.

For comparison, the first two rounds of last season’s NBA Playoffs averaged 3.7 million viewers. Yes, the NCAA Tournament first round games bring in over 2.5 times more eyeballs.

Millions and millions more people watch the Super Bowl Halftime show and all those shitty commercials yet I've never heard anyone suggest that they weren't terrible simply because Millions upon millions of people happen to have watched it.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:58 pm 

It’s ok. You can like what you like, even if it’s popularity is flagging among every demographic across the world.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:12 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
It’s ok. You can like what you like, even if it’s popularity is flagging among every demographic across the world.

The NBA is 2nd only to soccer in terms of World Wide Popularity. It's players are year in and year out the leaders in terms of endorsement revenue. The most recognizable face in sports is an ex NBA player that retired over 20 years ago and the 2nd most recognizable face in sports is a current NBA player. Doesn't seem to be "flagging" all that much to me.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
The Missing Link wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

The NBA is 2nd only to soccer in terms of World Wide Popularity. It's players are year in and year out the leaders in terms of endorsement revenue. The most recognizable face in sports is an ex NBA player that retired over 20 years ago and the 2nd most recognizable face in sports is a current NBA player. Doesn't seem to be "flagging" all that much to me.

I think one of those things may be arguably kind of maybe true.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
My issue with the NBA is, and always has been, that the entirety of the regular season and the first two rounds of the playoffs (at least in most years) are completely irrelevant. College basketball has the same level of irrelevance during the regular season, but at least every game of the Tournament is incredibly consequential. Next to the Super Bowl, is there a bigger sporting event on the calendar than the Tournament?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:17 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
My issue with the NBA is, and always has been, that the entirety of the regular season and the first two rounds of the playoffs (at least in most years) are completely irrelevant. College basketball has the same level of irrelevance during the regular season, but at least every game of the Tournament is incredibly consequential. Next to the Super Bowl, is there a bigger sporting event on the calendar than the Tournament?

If you like well played games and watching really talented players, then College Basketball just ain't it. The quality of play blows, which was Fox's essential point.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:25 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

If you like well played games and watching really talented players, then College Basketball just ain't it. The quality of play blows, which was Fox's essential point.

I do. That's why I liked the NBA 30 years ago

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:31 am 

good dolphin wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

:lol: :lol: Ironically I feel exactly the same way about college basketball. A time when I didn't have to wait for the NBA Summer League in order to see top draft picks play basketball.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:12 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

:lol: :lol: Ironically I feel exactly the same way about college basketball. A time when I didn't have to wait for the NBA Summer League in order to see top draft picks play basketball.

i don't deny it. This was the type of Final Four I grew up with

Villanova was the big cinderella as what, an 8 seed...and two HOF were playing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:19 am 

pizza_Place: All of them
Warren Newson wrote:
Next to the Super Bowl, is there a bigger sporting event on the calendar than the Tournament?

March the 29th, at the Pontiac Silverdome in Michigan, it's all going down. From the opening with Miss Aretha Franklin singing "America the Beautiful", to the main event with the Hulkster and Andre, it's going to be a happening. History will indeed be made at Wrestlemania 3. Call your local cable provider.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:33 am 

good dolphin wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

i agree and hate that argument. For me, an entertaining basketball isn't determined by the level of skill and talent of the players involved. It's determined by the level of competition between the teams and players on the court. I don't think less of a college game because the players can't shoot and make some bonehead plays. Just like I don't think more of NBA because people can jump out of the gym and make amazing plays.

Right now the college game is way more competitive and entertaining than the NBA. The regular season of the NBA has become nearly completely unwatchable. Last night Embiid ducked Jokic in his one trip to Denver all year. It's getting to the point where I might start skipping the entire regular season. I've gotten to the point where I've found myself gravitating back to the NHL because at least when I turn on an Edmonton game I know there's a 99% chance McDavid and Draisaitl are going to be on the ice playing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:20 am 

shakes wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

i agree and hate that argument. For me, an entertaining basketball isn't determined by the level of skill and talent of the players involved. It's determined by the level of competition between the teams and players on the court. I don't think less of a college game because the players can't shoot and make some bonehead plays. Just like I don't think more of NBA because people can jump out of the gym and make amazing plays.

Right now the college game is way more competitive and entertaining than the NBA. The regular season of the NBA has become nearly completely unwatchable. Last night Embiid ducked Jokic in his one trip to Denver all year. It's getting to the point where I might start skipping the entire regular season. I've gotten to the point where I've found myself gravitating back to the NHL because at least when I turn on an Edmonton game I know there's a 99% chance McDavid and Draisaitl are going to be on the ice playing.

The NBA is more competitive than it has ever been in my lifetime. No superteams. Very little tanking and about 12 teams in each conference vying for a playoff spot.

Every year whenever I watch college basketball tournament games the announcers are always trying to push "the story" because the actual game sucks ass. This year they were trying their absolute damnest to make the kid from K-State into a superstar because there aren't "superstar" college players anymore. You'd have thought you were watching the second coming of Michael Adams the way they kept lauding him. "Unlimited range" "elite vision" "tight handle" as soon as the round of 32 started. Then I watched him play and all that I saw was an undersized, rather slow guard, with bad shooting mechanics that shoots a terrible % from the field. Oh yeah plus he is 24 years old still playing college basketball. They can keep that shitty product.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:25 am 

good dolphin wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

i don't deny it. This was the type of Final Four I grew up with

Villanova was the big cinderella as what, an 8 seed...and two HOF were playing

The "Beast From The East" I actually believe that Villanova was seeded lower than that. No shot clock and Rollie Massimino took the air out of the ball for seemingly the last 7 minutes or so :lol: :lol: :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:28 am 

There's a big advantage for FAU. The coach has almost a full week to show the players where the out of bounds line is.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:45 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
shakes wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

The NBA is more competitive than it has ever been in my lifetime. No superteams. Very little tanking and about 12 teams in each conference vying for a playoff spot.

Every year whenever I watch college basketball tournament games the announcers are always trying to push "the story" because the actual game sucks ass. This year they were trying their absolute damnest to make the kid from K-State into a superstar because there aren't "superstar" college players anymore. You'd have thought you were watching the second coming of Michael Adams the way they kept lauding him. "Unlimited range" "elite vision" "tight handle" as soon as the round of 32 started. Then I watched him play and all that I saw was an undersized, rather slow guard, with bad shooting mechanics that shoots a terrible % from the field. Oh yeah plus he is 24 years old still playing college basketball. They can keep that shitty product.

that's a dumb example because you're talking about a guy who just had one of the greatest single game performances in NCAA history. 20 pts, 19 assists (NCAA record), 5 steals, 2 TOs. And the game he did that in was a classic by any standard.

NBA is not more competitive than its been in your lifetime. Don't confuse parity and mediocrity for competitive. There's nothing competitive about Embiid skipping his game vs Jokic last night when he is neck and neck with him in the MVP race. There's nothing competitive about players skipping 20 games per year for rest.

Maybe the playoffs will be very competitive, but the 82 game regular season has become a travesty.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:54 am 

I refused to watch my kids play little league because they were much worse then the MLB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:55 am 

shakes wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
shakes wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

that's a dumb example because you're talking about a guy who just had one of the greatest single game performances in NCAA history. 20 pts, 19 assists (NCAA record), 5 steals, 2 TOs. And the game he did that in was a classic by any standard.

NBA is not more competitive than its been in your lifetime. Don't confuse parity and mediocrity for competitive. There's nothing competitive about Embiid skipping his game vs Jokic last night when he is neck and neck with him in the MVP race. There's nothing competitive about players skipping 20 games per year for rest.

Maybe the playoffs will be very competitive, but the 82 game regular season has become a travesty.

Embiid destroyed Jokic in their last match up and considering that Jokic is one of the worst defensive players in the league, hardly a guy anyone with game wants to duck though it does make for a great message board narrative I guess

And it's not a "mediocre" product by any stretch. "WE" wanted parity and now we have "parity".

"Close" games isn't synonymous with "great" games. The game between K-State and FAU was a close game too but it was hardly a "classic" by any stretch. Unless you count hero ball, a bunch of turnovers, and a lot of airballs as a classic.

And it isn't so much NBA vs college either. It's college vs college for me. The quality of players currently playing college basketball sucks. And when you compare it to what they were putting out even 15 years ago there is no comparison If you go back 30 years ago then you are talking a whole different stratosphere in terms of quality.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Last edited by The Missing Link on Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:57 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I refused to watch my kids play little league because they were much worse then the MLB

Good choice.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:05 am 

The Missing Link wrote:

Embiid destroyed Jokic in their last match up and considering that Jokic is one of the worst defensive players in the league, hardly a guy anyone with game wants to duck though it does make for a great message board narrative I guess

And it's not a "mediocre" product by any stretch. "WE" wanted parity and now we have "parity".

"Close" games isn't synonymous with "great" games. The game between K-State and FAU was a close game too but it was hardly a "classic" by any stretch. Unless you count hero ball, a bunch of turnovers, and a lot of turnovers as classic.

Embiid has only played in Denver 1 out of the last 6 times they've been there. Tell me again how he destroyed Jokic that ONE TIME.

Notice you didn't talk about all the players missing games to rest. Wonder why?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:10 am 

shakes wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

"Close" games isn't synonymous with "great" games. The game between K-State and FAU was a close game too but it was hardly a "classic" by any stretch. Unless you count hero ball, a bunch of turnovers, and a lot of turnovers as classic.

Embiid has only played in Denver 1 out of the last 6 times they've been there. Tell me again how he destroyed Jokic that ONE TIME.

Notice you didn't talk about all the players missing games to rest. Wonder why?

Yeah because I have talked about that before. It still isn't enough for me to hate the league entirely. I can also talk about all of the guys in the "portal" too but I haven't. Kansas State's entire roster was made up of transfers. How exactly is that good for the "student-athlete" and the spirit of "amateurism"? Just Asking A Question

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Last edited by The Missing Link on Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.