It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:53 pm 

Hopefully this will be adopted in the U.S. as well by 2027. Seems like EU has better tech privacy laws than US does and now their leading the way with requiring all cell phones to have replaceable batteries instead of forcing you to upgrade every couple years.

All smartphones, including iPhones, must have replaceable batteries by 2027 in the EU

Quote:
The European Union is officially(opens in a new tab) requiring all smartphones to have replaceable batteries by 2027.

This week, the European Council adopted the regulation designed to reduce waste and break up monopolistic practices from tech companies like Apple, Samsung, and Google that make it difficult to replace parts without having to buy a brand new phone.

This is a big win for the right-to-repair movement. While it only applies to the EU, the regulation has global ramifications, since it wouldn't make sense to make two different smartphones — one for Europe, one for everywhere else. Regulation will likely impact the global market, changing the design of smartphones for all users. The EU passed a regulation 2022, requiring iPhones to have a USB-C port, which will have a similar global effect.

Smartphones must be "removable and replaceable by the end-user," meaning it must be easy to replace a battery without any kind of technical expertise. Manufacturers have until 2027 to adapt the design of their smartphones in order to comply with the EU law. The regulation applies to all batteries, including those in EVs and e-bikes, in the hopes of creating a "circular economy" where waste batteries can be recycled and reused to power electronics.

https://mashable.com/article/replaceabl ... hones-2027

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:40 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Euros also forcing Apple to ditch their pita lightning connector on their iphone devices and use android et al style usb-c connectors. iPhone 15 should have usb-c; but it's possible Apple goes usb-c for Europe only and sticks us and the rest of the world outside the EU with the proprietary lightning bs. They could do the same tech-balkanization for the battery. It's apple, they can afford.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:48 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Hey, we’re in the leading state with tech privacy laws.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:47 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
KDdidit wrote:
Hey, we’re in the leading state with tech privacy laws.

I enjoy the checks I receive.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Regulatory overreach. It’s like telling Milwaukee, Bosch, Dewalt, and Makita that their batteries have to be the same.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:41 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Regulatory overreach. It’s like telling Milwaukee, Bosch, Dewalt, and Makita that their batteries have to be the same.
Isn't that what they do?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:42 am 
100000 CLUB

Jaw Breaker wrote:

I wouldn't complain.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Jaw Breaker wrote:

That’d be awesome.

I have so many ryobi tools I’d rather not have but I’ve boxed myself into the brand.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

That’d be awesome.

I have so many ryobi tools I’d rather not have but I’ve boxed myself into the brand.

They make you buy 8 at a time with one battery. You have to sell your kid into a pedophile ring to afford the extra one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:36 pm 
100000 CLUB

I'm a Dewalt whore, but I give Bosch a little action.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:52 pm 

polster wrote:
Hopefully this will be adopted in the U.S. as well by 2027. Seems like EU has better tech privacy laws than US does and now their leading the way with requiring all cell phones to have replaceable batteries instead of forcing you to upgrade every couple years.

All smartphones, including iPhones, must have replaceable batteries by 2027 in the EU

Quote:
The European Union is officially(opens in a new tab) requiring all smartphones to have replaceable batteries by 2027.

This week, the European Council adopted the regulation designed to reduce waste and break up monopolistic practices from tech companies like Apple, Samsung, and Google that make it difficult to replace parts without having to buy a brand new phone.

This is a big win for the right-to-repair movement. While it only applies to the EU, the regulation has global ramifications, since it wouldn't make sense to make two different smartphones — one for Europe, one for everywhere else. Regulation will likely impact the global market, changing the design of smartphones for all users. The EU passed a regulation 2022, requiring iPhones to have a USB-C port, which will have a similar global effect.

Smartphones must be "removable and replaceable by the end-user," meaning it must be easy to replace a battery without any kind of technical expertise. Manufacturers have until 2027 to adapt the design of their smartphones in order to comply with the EU law. The regulation applies to all batteries, including those in EVs and e-bikes, in the hopes of creating a "circular economy" where waste batteries can be recycled and reused to power electronics.

In unrelated news, battery prices are expected to rise in Europe by a factor of 1000 by 2027.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
WestmontMike wrote:
polster wrote:

Quote:

In unrelated news, battery prices are expected to rise in Europe by a factor of 1000 by 2027.

It is really just another example of some ninnies in government wanting to fuck up a one car funeral with stupid rules that make what was a good thing into something that isn't going to improve anything in the long run.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:30 pm 

i dont get this one. battery tech will soon advanced to the point where they wont need to be replaced. it's a dumb law

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:54 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
i dont get this one. battery tech will soon advanced to the point where they wont need to be replaced. it's a dumb law

Its called marketing.. Battery tech that holds large charges or doesn't need to be replaced (solid state batteries) are not stable enough to produce in large quantities at a cheap price. Its the same reason why there isn't a gas car that can get 100 MPG.. even though every year there some car company or some tech writer saying we should expect cars to get 100 mpg in the future (hasn't happened).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:31 pm 

youre completely wrong. there isnt 100mpg cars because it's not feasible with gasoline engines. you would have to cut so much weight the damn thing would fly.

and batteries dont last forever because were still stuck on the same li-ion technology that was born in the 80s. when solid state takes over, and batteries dont need to be replaced, we will get a glutten of supply and prices will tumble.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
IkeSouth wrote:
youre completely wrong. there isnt 100mpg cars because it's not feasible with gasoline engines. you would have to cut so much weight the damn thing would fly.

and batteries dont last forever because were still stuck on the same li-ion technology that was born in the 80s. when solid state takes over, and batteries dont need to be replaced, we will get a glutten of supply and prices will tumble.

Don’t manufacturers prefer to make things that need to be replaced?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:52 am 

The Hawk wrote:
It is really just another example of some ninnies in government wanting to fuck up a one car funeral with stupid rules that make what was a good thing into something that isn't going to improve anything in the long run.
Why are you so attached to the idea that phone manufacturers will be required to put in batteries that don't require tools to replace? It's not like the idea of a battery you can replace is some major feat of engineering. Many phones used to have it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:38 am 
100000 CLUB

The "waterproof" thing may suffer if some people can change their own battery.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:44 am 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

Don’t manufacturers prefer to make things that need to be replaced?

Yes but that's not the point. The technology will be why the products last longer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
big battery wins

i thought the main excuse for making the batteries difficult to replace was water proof ratings for the phones? i remember way back when (5 years ago) when phones had replaceable batteries. it was difficult to find a replacement battery that actually was good. most was cheap crap from china that didnt work half as well as the oem battery

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I am with Nas and Billy. Since about 4 or 5 on iPhones were just a pain in the ass to replace batteries. I used to fix my kid's batteries and screens but they made it damn near impossible and simply not worth it.