It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:05 pm 

I for one agree with any bill that helps with human health and doesn't look at the lowest common denominator where profit over health is the only motivation for these big business / certain politicians.

Why does the food in Europe especially fruits and vegetables taste much better in many European countries than it does in the US? We have flavorless tomatoes, flavorless strawberries, etc.. I know this bill will not address genetic modification and use of pesticides in the American food supply but its a start as we have an epidemic with ultra processed foods with many harmful chemicals that do damage to human health long term.
Quote:
The bill, the Illinois Food Safety Act, would target five specific chemicals: Brominated vegetable oil, potassium bromate, propylparaben, red dye No. 3, and titanium dioxide.

These chemicals can be found in candy, soda, and other ultra-processed foods.

Illinois Secretary of State Alexi Giannoulias said the additives have been linked to severe health problems, including nervous system damage, hyperactivity, hormonal damage, reproductive issues, and risk of cancer.

For example, Giannoulias highlighted one troublesome ingredient, titanium dioxide, in a candy favorite.

"You can't eat this stuff in Europe. You can't eat this stuff in Japan, but we just jam it down our kid's throats here in the United States of America. And that's not OK," he said.

"In fact, this particular bag of Skittles comes from the European Union, which proves that companies are indeed very capable and hopefully willing to sustain product lines while complying with a number of public health laws that differ depending on the country."

According to the Environmental Working Group, titanium dioxide can be found in thousands of foods. The European Food Safety Authority said it was banned after studies showed it can cause harm to the immune system and damage DNA.

The bill wouldn't ban any products or brands. Lawmakers said it would encourage food manufacturers to update recipes using safer ingredients.

If the Illinois Food Safety Act passes, it would go into effect on Jan. 1, 2027, to give food suppliers a chance to remove these substances..

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/il ... -skittles/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:10 pm 

I'm all for it. They need to do it federally. We shouldn't have food dyes at all. Who cares what stuff looks like if it may impact your health. Why take the chance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:14 pm 

Hands off my propylparaben government!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
polster wrote:
We have flavorless tomatoes, flavorless strawberries, etc..

Maybe you should try shopping at the Jewels.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Doritos Celebrates One Millionth Ingredient
PublishedMay 14, 1996

DALLAS, TX—Amid much fanfare, the Frito-Lay Corporation, manufacturers of the world’s best-loved snack chip products for over 50 years, announced yesterday the addition of the one millionth ingredient in Doritos, the company’s flagship brand of cheese-flavored tortilla chips. The new ingredient, disodium guanylate, is expected not only to act as an additional emulsifying agent but also to make the big taste of Doritos even bigger.

Cooler Ranch Doritos are expected to hit the two million ingredient mark by spring of 2006.
“Today, we have reached a major milestone in the proud history of Doritos,” Frito-Lay CEO Don Gehrmann said at a formal chip-breaking ceremony yesterday. “One million ingredients!”

Following Gehrmann’s proclamation, amid wild applause, a Doritos scientist held up a three-foot-long dropper reading, “Disodium Guanylate,” and touched it to an oversized Doritos chip.

According to experts, the new ingredient is a chemically produced emulsifier that will act as both a thickening agent and an anti-oxidant in Doritos, the nation’s top-selling cheese-flavored snack chip food product item.

“Disodium guanylate, or NaCl2O3G, should help slow the oxidation process in Doritos, serving as a valuable hydrolyzing reactor,” MIT chemistry professor James Steuerbohm said. “Essentially, it would play almost the exact same role that disodium inosinate plays in Funyuns.”

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:17 pm 

pizza_Place: John's

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Quote:
red dye No. 3,

Next they'll come for Mambo No. 5.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:07 pm 

It's depressing that we would never elect a public official that took their own health seriously. When Cristy got that lap band and tried to get healthier everyone made fun of him. Then he gave up and ran for president.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:57 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
IkeSouth wrote:
It's depressing that we would never elect a public official that took their own health seriously. When Cristy got that lap band and tried to get healthier everyone made fun of him. Then he gave up and ran for president.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Caller Bob wrote:

Holy shit, what a guy. I’d call him a chode but I think he’s actually wider than he is tall.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
polster wrote:
I for one agree with any bill that helps with human health and doesn't look at the lowest common denominator where profit over health is the only motivation for these big business / certain politicians.

Why does the food in Europe especially fruits and vegetables taste much better in many European countries than it does in the US? We have flavorless tomatoes, flavorless strawberries, etc.. I know this bill will not address genetic modification and use of pesticides in the American food supply but its a start as we have an epidemic with ultra processed foods with many harmful chemicals that do damage to human health long term.
Quote:
The bill, the Illinois Food Safety Act, would target five specific chemicals: Brominated vegetable oil, potassium bromate, propylparaben, red dye No. 3, and titanium dioxide.

These chemicals can be found in candy, soda, and other ultra-processed foods.

Illinois Secretary of State Alexi Giannoulias said the additives have been linked to severe health problems, including nervous system damage, hyperactivity, hormonal damage, reproductive issues, and risk of cancer.

For example, Giannoulias highlighted one troublesome ingredient, titanium dioxide, in a candy favorite.

"You can't eat this stuff in Europe. You can't eat this stuff in Japan, but we just jam it down our kid's throats here in the United States of America. And that's not OK," he said.

"In fact, this particular bag of Skittles comes from the European Union, which proves that companies are indeed very capable and hopefully willing to sustain product lines while complying with a number of public health laws that differ depending on the country."

According to the Environmental Working Group, titanium dioxide can be found in thousands of foods. The European Food Safety Authority said it was banned after studies showed it can cause harm to the immune system and damage DNA.

The bill wouldn't ban any products or brands. Lawmakers said it would encourage food manufacturers to update recipes using safer ingredients.

If the Illinois Food Safety Act passes, it would go into effect on Jan. 1, 2027, to give food suppliers a chance to remove these substances..

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/il ... -skittles/

If TiO2 is good enough for latex paint, it's good enough for Skittles. Taste the rainbow!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Side question: why is the Secretary of State involved here?

It’d be nice if he eliminated the DMV caste system that allows seniors to stumble to the front of the line so they can more quickly back into a mailbox on their way to a pharmacy.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:47 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

Do you think taking TRT(Steroids) and HGH is any healthier than overweight Christy or Pritzker?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:52 pm 

denisdman wrote:
polster wrote:

You do realize that all the grocery stores gets the FRUITS, VEGGIES, and MEAT from all same distributers in this country. There are very few local small farms providing their products to grocery chains. Commercial farming in both meat and produce has taken over this country many years ago!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:01 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
We grow our own tomatoes in the summer. It is surprisingly little work, they taste far better than what you buy in the store, and at just a few bucks a plant one can save a lot of money.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:04 am 

Brick wrote:
Hands off my propylparaben government!

you can't spell bromate without bro!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:11 am 

a genius wrote:
We grow our own tomatoes in the summer. It is surprisingly little work, they taste far better than what you buy in the store, and at just a few bucks a plant one can save a lot of money.

Have you tried covering them in brominated vegetable oil?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:49 am 

a genius wrote:

Stop sucking up to TM

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:22 pm 

polster wrote:
Do you think taking TRT(Steroids) and HGH is any healthier than overweight Christy or Pritzker?

obviously is. also, you still need to workout. pritzker could take massive amount of roids and only get fatter.

plus i dont think roids are that bad for you. arnold is still alive. hulk hogan. sammy sosa. mark mcguire, barry bonds, list goes on. it seems to make you LOOK older, it does weird shit to your skin, but other than that i havent seen much evidence that it shortens your life much.

ive never done them though. i kinda want to try in my 60s or 70s. that way if it makes me worse who cares.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:24 pm 

polster wrote:
denisdman wrote:
polster wrote:

You do realize that all the grocery stores gets the FRUITS, VEGGIES, and MEAT from all same distributers in this country. There are very few local small farms providing their products to grocery chains. Commercial farming in both meat and produce has taken over this country many years ago!

theres different strains of produce though, and different regions theyre grown that still creates variety. i can go to one store and everything looks premium, but zero flavor. then woodmans down the street has produce thats more normal looking but actually has taste.

nothing compares to the local farmer market though. theres still a long way to go before mass produced veggies and fruits are as good as home made. really the biggest reason is shelf life. gotta grow stuff that lasts a month before purchase.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Sam’s - Oglesby, IL
Bagels wrote:

“Disodium guanylate, or NaCl2O3G

Looks like they also invented a new element. Up until now, there was no element with the letter G by itself. Wonder what they will name it...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:15 am 

The Division wrote:
Bagels wrote:

Looks like they also invented a new element. Up until now, there was no element with the letter G by itself. Wonder what they will name it...

It just means it is wifi enabled.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:18 am 

Brick wrote:
The Division wrote:
Bagels wrote:

It was invented by Dr. Robert Malone in the 1980s.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Douchebag wrote:
Brick wrote:
The Division wrote:
Bagels wrote:

It was invented by Dr. Robert Malone in the 1980s.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Sam’s - Oglesby, IL
Brick wrote:
The Division wrote:
Bagels wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
a genius wrote:

Mostly because commercial produce has been selected for durability in transport and harvest, to be visually appealing and to be consistent in production, ripening and appearance. Couple this with being picked and harvested before an optimal time and you get bland ass tomatoes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Abbey Pub
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
a genius wrote:

Mostly because commercial produce has been selected for durability in transport and harvest, to be visually appealing and to be consistent in production, ripening and appearance. Couple this with being picked and harvested before an optimal time and you get bland ass tomatoes.

It's all about perceived value. If I can convince you those tomatoes were grown on a family farm- suddenly that sandwich is worth a couple bucks more isn't it?