It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:59 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
Sometimes there is little difference between a blog and a news website.

In the case of Jalopnik, as is the case with all Gawker Media websites, the writers are paid to know their field and write about it, in an entertaining fashion.

Between the Jalopnik writers and the contributors with years and years of experience with cars - I value the site as a source of information.
It's clear you still don't get it. You acted like it was the definitive source like it was some peer reviewed medical journal. The best blog in the world is still a blog. I'm sorry, but in the discussion of cars, I'm not going to simply say "jalopnik, which is basically deadspin for cars, says it's true so it's now not worthy of discussion".

Citing the "all Gawker Media websites" thing further destroys your case. As much as I like deadspin, I'm pretty sure I'd be laughed out of the room if I said "Deadspin says it's true, so no more discussion is needed".

Keep up your quest to make sure that people don't look at your car and see a station wagon. Us uneducated car guys still look at it and see one, even if there is a 6 inch difference in the rounding of the back. They say "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck". Well, if you cut off a little bit off the back, it would still look, swim, and quack like a duck.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:14 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
Deadspin has broken some pretty big news stories in the past, and while they definitely have entertainment in mind when presenting information - many of their articles are still news.
I'm not arguing that they don't have good information. I'm arguing that they are not a definitive source of anything.
immessedup17 wrote:
I don't care what some people see when they view my car. I do care about what my car is.
I think this thread would be evidence to the contrary. Maybe I can put it in a comment section on jalopnik and it becomes fact.
immessedup17 wrote:
You always say I should be informed about a subject before talking about it, yes? So now that I am the one who is informed about Volkswagen GTI's, and you are not...why are you still here?
I have no problem with how uninformed you are about subjects. You must have me confused with someone else. I do know what a station wagon looks like though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:28 am 

The fact that they look the same?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:29 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The fact that they look the same?

How? What features look the same?
Most of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:39 am 

I'll admit that in general hot hatches seem to be somewhat shorter, but I think a normal bus and a short bus are still considered buses.

Most of the rest of it seems pretty similar. Obviously, since the days of station wagons other stylings have slightly changed.

Here is another way to say it. I can find a lot of pictures of old pickup trucks. When comparing an old pickup truck to a modern day pickup truck they actually look less similar than a hatchback does to a station wagon.

Station wagons all but disappeared and were replaced by something similar that provided similar functionality. Can you make a case that it was anything but either hatchbacks or SUV's? To me though, the difference between an SUV and the station wagon is much larger than the difference between the hatchback and a station wagon.

Sorry IMU. Your hatchback quacks like a station wagon. Just accept it. It doesn't mean it's still not a sweet ride.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:45 am 

Why do you care so much IMU that everyone on here thinks you drive a station wagon? You just found the functionality and styling of something that looks like a station wagon to be ideal. They have many advantages which you have pointed out. Station wagons can be fast and I'm sure it's a pretty cool feeling to have a car that looks like just like a station wagon beat a car that would be considered not a station wagon. You should embrace it. Challenge other people to race it and then laugh that they were smoked by a car that looks like a station wagon. That's really the embarrassing part. It's easy to just say "Well, I lost to a muscle car" or "Of course that car is fast, look at it". Play the role of Woody Harrelson in White Men Can't Jump and let someone think they'd smoke the car you have that looks like a station wagon and then dominate them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
How can one judge a blog as evidence of fact? To me, the provided link is akin to a bunch of fanboys arguing over which Green Lantern was the best and plotting how to kill Ryan Reynolds.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:49 am 

It also would be quite convenient if you ever get married and have kids. Not only are you a stud in the streets but you can be a family man. Friday nights smoking guys in cars that aren't station wagons and Saturday mornings at soccer practice. It's a rare combination of room for car seats and sweet taillights showing the world "This may look like a station wagon but it drives like a car that is significantly faster than an average station wagon".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:59 am 

Hatchbacks are shorter station wagons. That's really all you are saying. Your hatchback quacks like a short station wagon.

Glad it is settled.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:01 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
This board is really the only place I know ignorant to what a GTI is. On "the street", no one takes a GTI for granted...except sometimes the occasional idiot teenager in a Civic.
Unintentional humor scale: 7/10.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:03 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
IMU, How many women do you think Starlin Castro has raped in a hatchback?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:07 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
Is a sedan a shorter station wagon as well?
No. Sedans don't look like station wagons. The back is significantly different. For instance, sedans have separate trunks.
immessedup17 wrote:
It speaks volumes about your comfort in a given discussion when you don't break down the opposing view point by point. I've noticed that. Sometimes, when you feel you're definitely right...you'll take a post (mine, JORR's, whoever's), break it down by line or paragraph, and post your reasoning and facts.
I get a lot of complaints about my posting style so I choose my spots. If thinking this is true makes you feel better then go for it.
immessedup17 wrote:
Other times, most notably when you're extremely wrong, you'll say something along the lines of 'I'll pretend you posted this, and then I'll try to say I won.'
I was able to sum it up in that all the differences are simply because hatchbacks are shorter and have slightly more chopped off rear section.

You win though. No one thinks that your car looks like a station wagon. After all, an internet blog says it isn't.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:15 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I'll admit that in general hot hatches seem to be somewhat shorter, but I think a normal bus and a short bus are still considered buses.

2 of those cars look similiar. The second and third one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:21 am 
100000 CLUB

immessedup17 wrote:
Yet one is a coupe and one is a sedan.

Believe me, I've ridden in a Cadillac hundreds of times! Thousands!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:25 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
So you're saying SUV's are station wagons. Understood.
No. Both the front and rear of an SUV is significantly more boxy in general. Also, it's higher up from the ground and has a higher ceiling. Be sure to note that an SUV that is shorter from driver to the back is the same class as one that is longer.
immessedup17 wrote:
People can think something and be wrong about it. It happens all too often. It is the facts that are important.
This may be a dumb question, but if hatchbacks and station wagons are so different why are there so many articles about it detailing the relatively minor differences that are mostly due to length?

It seems like it's just a bunch of hatchback guys trying to justify that they aren't driving a fast, short station wagon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:29 am 

This is getting pointless.

You think it's not a station wagon. Everyone else thinks it is. You won't change that opinion and neither will everyone else.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:32 am 
100000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
This is getting pointless.

:lol: :lol: 20 pages in....

New sig.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:39 am 

Clarification: I didnt say it was a station wagon. I do think it looks like one though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:44 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
The actual traits that distinguish between the two types of vehicles are way more technical than how boxy it is, as well as how tall the vehicle is. :lol: Also, SUV's that are "longer" and "shorter" still have the same amount of pillars, which is a very important factor when classifying vehicles.
So you are telling me that SUV's aren't more boxy and taller than sedans? I don't see why that is funny. It seems true to me. I was simply listing some differences.
immessedup17 wrote:
Because people like yourself get confused by technical terms and differences.
How cute. IMU finally tried to play the "I'm smarter than you card" with me. First off, that's a bad road for you to go down with me or most people on this board. Second of all, I don't really care about the technical terms. I'm smart enough to see a hatchback and say "That looks very similar to a station wagon" without knowing what a johnson rod does in a car. Third, since you seemed so interested in doing a psychological profile on my use of the quote function I'll return the favor. You seem to love to project that you are smarter than others in posts by specifically stating it. It seems like some compensation for something. That's one of the things I dislike about you. You aren't nearly smart enough to be saying things like that to other people. In fact, most people shouldn't and most people don't. It may make you feel better to say something like that but it comes off as kind of sad. There are some really smart people on this board and that I know in real life and they don't need to do that. Now, I don't really care because I just laugh at something like that because I see right through it and you didn't really get that personal. However, with others you have been. I recommend you stop that.
immessedup17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick logic. "Everyone?" Everyone where? Everyone is a very blanket term, sir.
I didn't want you to get confused by using tougher words.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:03 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IMU finally tried to play the "I'm smarter than you card" with me.

I did not. You know about all sorts of things I have little knowledge of. But in this, I do know more. Surprising though that I find myself trying to help you learn something new.
I'd be more inclined to believe you if I hadn't seen your interaction with others previously. I'll accept it as poor word choice though.
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Are apples and oranges the same? They are both round.
I don't want to debate the difference between apples and oranges but you do realize that whole saying is because those things are significantly different in so many ways that they can't be compared? I'm pretty sure that a hatchback and station wagon can be compared and you would admit that they share a lot of similarities, especially from the first row of the back seat going forward. In fact, they are almost identical until you reach the trunk area.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:17 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
In fact, they are almost identical until you reach the trunk area.

Can't this be said of almost any car category?

Sedan? Coupe? Roadster? Hatch? Wagon?
The backseat will be much different in a sedan or coupe at least in the cars I've been in. The big difference is the open or closed trunk.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:26 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
How is the back seat different? Honest question. The only feature all (most?) hatchbacks have regarding the rear sets is that they are split-folding. Yet some sedans and coupes have fold down rear seats. So fold down rear seats isn't unique to a car type.
Well, I consider the fact that the seats aren't free standing and close the cabin to the rest of the car as a big difference, along with having a flat area behind the seats and under the window.

Also, I doubt there are many two seat hatchbacks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
immessedup17 wrote:
If you want to talk about 2+2 setups, I could list them all day.

If the compilation of such a list will ensure your absence from the rest of the board, please proceed as you propose.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
How cute. IMU finally tried to play the "I'm smarter than you card" with me.

Maybe he knows Calculus. I do. :P

Hatchbacks and stationwagons are dorky. That's pretty much all that needs to be said here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I don't really care about the technical terms. I'm smart enough to see a hatchback and say "That looks very similar to a station wagon" without knowing what a johnson rod does in a car.

Subtle Seinfeld Reference: 7/10

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Spaulding wrote:

Hatchbacks and stationwagons are dorky. That's pretty much all that needs to be said here.

You think you hate it now, but wait until you drive it.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Calc I, II, III and Differential Equations.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:36 am 

Why couldn't this thread be pruned? :(

:P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
CSFMB Hall of Fame material this is.

I think Lipid is even considering a GTI for his next car. If that is the only thing to come of this thread, it was worth it. He deserves a nice ride.

How many skirts do you get with the purchase of said ride? :scratch:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next