It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kaepernick
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies

It's over It's all over

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:40 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Kaep rockin a Fidel Castro shirt post game presser. Is there any chance this dumbass wore this unironically?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:45 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Kaep rockin a Fidel Castro shirt post game presser. Is there any chance this dumbass wore this unironically?

I guess he found a new country!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:47 am 

I think someone must've told him because it has Malcolm X on it that it's ok to wear .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:50 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
badrogue17 wrote:
I think someone must've told him because it has Malcolm X on it that it's ok to wear .

Well Cuba has less income inequality and is certainly a fairer society- everyone is poor and oppressed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:50 am 

denisdman wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Well Cuba has less income inequality and is certainly a fairer society- everyone is poor and oppressed.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:16 am 

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:24 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Jbi11s wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
[i]August 29, 2016, 01:47 pm
Kaepernick picked right fight in 'Star-Spangled Banner' beef
By Chuck Hobbs, contributor

Due to God's gift of curiosity, I have a rather extensive knowledge of American history and often write about the subject in my articles and blogs.

But the Colin Kaepernick "Star-Spangled Banner" controversy — one in which the embattled San Francisco 49ers quarterback has been blasted by internet trolls and racists ever since he chose to sit as the national anthem was played before his team's preseason game against the Green Bay Packers — compelled me to do some research, where I have learned the racist origins of that very song.
Consider these facts about Francis Scott Key, author of the national anthem:

If someone is going to get into the racism of the Star-Spangled Banner, at what point do they acknowledge that the Democrat party historically was the party of the Ku Klux Klan?

Who's talking republicans and democrats?

I think his point is, there's a lot of ugly history. That was the point of my "Ending America" thread. If we accept that black people are oppressed in 21st Century America (There are arguments to be made both ways.) and we grant that Kaepernick did a real service for society in pointing out said oppression and raising it as an issue that was being ignored, what do we do about it now? What is the answer? Surely, it doesn't end at sitting during the anthem. It seems to me that the only answer that would satisfy Kaepernick (and many others) would be to end America. How else could it possibly be repaired? You can't erase the history. And I'm sure in his new/reformed society, he wants to make damn sure that there is a mechanism to allow him to become one of the wealthier members of that society due to his ability to throw a football. That's certainly important.

Again, I don't care if you pull out your schlong and jerk it during the anthem. Knock yourself out. But standing respectfully and removing one's hat during the anthem isn't some endorsement of every action that has historically been taken by the U.S. government. It's a simple social grace. I certainly don't have pride in Russia, but if I were in Moscow I would stand during their anthem and I don't even know what the words mean. It's just one of many little things we do in societies that hold us together. Like saying, "Hi, how are you?" upon meeting someone. That's social grace. And it isn't seeking any other answer besides, "Great, how are you?" If you recite a litany of physical ailments, you have broken the social protocol, just as you have when you disrespect an anthem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:42 am 

everybody thinks they're so important these days.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:02 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
not me

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:03 am 
Site Admin

Bagels wrote:
not me

Me either. Hell, I can't even fix stuff without simple instructions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:19 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Bagels wrote:
not me

Me either. Hell, I can't even fix stuff without simple instructions.
:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:31 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Due to God's gift of curiosity, I have a rather extensive knowledge of American history and often write about the subject in my articles and blogs.

But the Colin Kaepernick "Star-Spangled Banner" controversy — one in which the embattled San Francisco 49ers quarterback has been blasted by internet trolls and racists ever since he chose to sit as the national anthem was played before his team's preseason game against the Green Bay Packers — compelled me to do some research, where I have learned the racist origins of that very song.

If someone is going to get into the racism of the Star-Spangled Banner, at what point do they acknowledge that the Democrat party historically was the party of the Ku Klux Klan?

I think his point is, there's a lot of ugly history. That was the point of my "Ending America" thread. If we accept that black people are oppressed in 21st Century America (There are arguments to be made both ways.) and we grant that Kaepernick did a real service for society in pointing out said oppression and raising it as an issue that was being ignored, what do we do about it now? What is the answer? Surely, it doesn't end at sitting during the anthem. It seems to me that the only answer that would satisfy Kaepernick (and many others) would be to end America. How else could it possibly be repaired? You can't erase the history. And I'm sure in his new/reformed society, he wants to make damn sure that there is a mechanism to allow him to become one of the wealthier members of that society due to his ability to throw a football. That's certainly important.

Again, I don't care if you pull out your schlong and jerk it during the anthem. Knock yourself out. But standing respectfully and removing one's hat during the anthem isn't some endorsement of every action that has historically been taken by the U.S. government. It's a simple social grace. I certainly don't have pride in Russia, but if I were in Moscow I would stand during their anthem and I don't even know what the words mean. It's just one of many little things we do in societies that hold us together. Like saying, "Hi, how are you?" upon meeting someone. That's social grace. And it isn't seeking any other answer besides, "Great, how are you?" If you recite a litany of physical ailments, you have broken the social protocol, just as you have when you disrespect an anthem.

Would jerking off during the national anthem be viewed as disrespectful, patriotic, or simply mental illness?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:33 am 
Site Admin

Jbi11s wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Would jerking off during the national anthem be viewed as disrespectful, patriotic, or simply mental illness?

It depends on who you are thinking of as you jerk off.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:34 am 

True dat. True dat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:35 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Freedom.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:36 am 
Site Admin

lipidquadcab wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Freedom.

lipid is definitely a patriot!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:36 am 

Every family, every race and every country has an ugly history

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:37 am 

good dolphin wrote:

Mucho generalization.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:38 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:

The argument might be, is that history informing the present, and if so, what do we do about it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:43 am 

Pretty good one minute speech here...

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/stan-verrett-on-kaepernick-lets-pay-as-much-attention-1785928720

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:45 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Isn't the main issue he brought up current police conduct? Not really the history.

Instead of ending America maybe he thinks we can "end or slow down murder of citizens by police"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:46 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
If only Kaepernick had said that instead of what he said then the discussion would be completely different.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:46 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Mucho generalization.

behind every great fortune there is a crime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:48 am 

Jbi11s wrote:

Kaepernick is doing the equivalent of sending prayers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:49 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Isn't the main issue he brought up current police conduct? Not really the history.

Instead of ending America maybe he thinks we can "end or slow down murder of citizens by police"

I don't think that's been his focus, but I could be mistaken.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:53 am 

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color," Kaepernick said. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:57 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color," Kaepernick said. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

He's said a bunch of stuff. His complaints seem much more general than police shooting black men. Besides that, police shoot a lot of white men as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:46 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

He's said a bunch of stuff. His complaints seem much more general than police shooting black men. Besides that, police shoot a lot of white men as well.

Black people shot at much higher rate but either way its not just the country's history. Its the current climate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:56 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Black people shot at much higher rate but either way its not just the country's history. Its the current climate[/quote

I'm out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next